Mark Stuart is NOT a future captain!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from NEWENGLANDSPORTSNERD. Show NEWENGLANDSPORTSNERD's posts

Mark Stuart is NOT a future captain!

I don't understand at all why there has SUDDENLY been talk about Mark Stuart being the future captain of this team after Chara is done. Look, I like Stuart's play and I hope he's resigned, but if you want to know who the future captain options of this team then simply look below:

Tyler Seguin/Taylor Hall

Patrice Bergereon

Joe Colborne

Jordan Caron

Milan Lucic

Who do you guys think should be the future captain of this team? Please comment

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Re: Mark Stuart is NOT a future captain!

Look at the guy who stood and delivered after the collapse.  The guy who faced just about the toughest post-game questions head-on and answered them the way you want your captain to answer - we will carry this for a long time, we will have to find a way to live with this, we will have get over it and work even harder to prepare for next year.  You didn't hear much from Bergeron or Chara - but you heard and saw Lucic everywhere.  I'd say that makes him your captain.

Stuart had been considerd captain material since he was drafted because he seems to be a straight-talker who will hold guys accountable, step up and lead by example when they need to be more emotionally and physically engaged, and his game is coming together.  Bergeron's the kind of player that should hold the players around him to a standard of professionalism - and while I respect that as a leadership quality, I don't know if that's what this team needs in a captain right now.  Chara's similar - he leads by example with his idiotic work ethic and professionalism.  They need someone who takes the energy of the room by the throat every once in a while.  That's Lucic or Stuart or Recchi for a year or somebody they acquire to set the tone for next season (no idea who that could be...).

Colborne?  Caron?  Hall/Seguin?  Not even in the conversation unless you're simply annointing them based on draft position.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from MeanE. Show MeanE's posts

Spot on!  I don't know of many 5-6 defenseman that are captains.  Mark Stuart is a role player, a captain needs to be a star or a grizzled veteran that knows how to win.  How many years does Chara have left with the Bruins?  4?  If so, Lucic will be 25 years old, with  7 years under his belt.  I like his chances, but a lot can happen between now and then.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from RandyTravis. Show RandyTravis's posts

should have drafted Mike Richards or Ryan Kelser in the 2003 draft instead of Stuart

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from KJBruinswin. Show KJBruinswin's posts

#1 Stuart, #2 Lucic(if he does'nt get the C he gets an A), demoted from captaincy or A are Bergeron and Chara. Savard was injured so he can't be judged yet but I think he is a g ood leader and vocal. Anytime you see a guy who can't fight stick up for a teammate he's okay in my book.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from twentyfour. Show twentyfour's posts

There's been talk about Stuart being captain material lately because he's one of those "character guys" in the locker room.  He's also won (and been a captain) at every level that he's played at AND the other guys on the team respect him.  He works hard, he does what's asked of him and he's focused.  Had he not had the bad luck this season, he wouldn't have been a 5-6 D.  He would have been, a the very least, our number 3-4.  In my humble opinion, the "C" should go to Bergeron with Stuart wearing the permanent "A".

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from joeschmo25. Show joeschmo25's posts

Stuart has Captain potential, and I think he should at least get an A next year, but he still may have some room to grow for leadership, but he has every other quality you want. Someone needs to be able to step up and get the team to play for the full 60, not the inconsistent 20 that this team is known for. Right now I'm in favor of the Montreal approach and not naming a Captain for next year. With nobody standing up for most of the regular season and the second half of the Philadelphia series I don't see anybody who has the passion and intensity to make this team rise when it's free falling. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

Stuart has credentials to be a future captain:

- Captained Team USA to its first-ever Gold Medal at the 2004 World Junior Championships
    - Played three years of college hockey at Colorado College, where he captained the team his junior season

Stuart is a high character guy, it is not a stretch to consider him captain material.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from No4BobbyOrr-GOAT. Show No4BobbyOrr-GOAT's posts

Z will keep the C and sign for a decent contract a la Sav. Like the Luc comment about C in 4 years not so bad. Berg is def C material, no one worked harder or played better.

Stuart is a player with more heart than most in the NHL, but we will be lucky to have him here next year unless PC can be very good with the cap and signings, if he was to be a one day C in minds of management he would have been signed before Ference and he should have been.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

I don't think you have to be a star or the team stud to be an NHL captain. Stuart will be kept PC has control as a RFA. Stuart can be a captain at one point of his career but probably not on this team with Bergy and Big Z here.

Mark has the character no questioning that.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from dc-bruins-fan. Show dc-bruins-fan's posts

Glad to see the vigorous pushback and Stuart love.

If we could get Gudbranson or, more likely, Dylan McIlrath (go see the what can the 15 and 32 fetch thread or, as posted there, http://www.hockeyprospect.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=22011:dylan-mcilrath-&catid=101:nhl-prospects), then that would be a hell of a pairing for the future.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from NEWENGLANDSPORTSNERD. Show NEWENGLANDSPORTSNERD's posts

In my opinion, i think the future captain should be Seguin/Hall and its NOT a stretch to say that, if they perform up to expectations.

Both are extremly high character guys and both (hall in paticular) know how to win. Any one of you see the hit Hall got? He got right back and scored 2 goals to lead his team to victory.

Thats what you call captain material

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

I would like to see Seguin/Hall actually play in the NHL before I prepared to promote them to Captain. 

I did see the hit that Hall took, it was brutal.  The kid showed alot of character to come back from that hit.  That being said, NHL players routinely take bit hits and play through injuries, I am not sure that automatically makes them captain-material.  

Ference played through a groin injury in playoffs, I did not see him on your list. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from huscroft28. Show huscroft28's posts

Give Stuart one of the "A"s - he's clearly a leader in the room and on the ice.  I know there's a lot of opinions about Chara's lack of leadership but I think he retains the "C" - maybe with a healed and healthy hand next year.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from MankatoMaverick. Show MankatoMaverick's posts

Changing the "C" is not a silver-bullet fix-all. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from dc-bruins-fan. Show dc-bruins-fan's posts

Changing the captain would just bring a lot of unwanted attention to the locker room. Chara has not been a bad captain and he's an incredibly hard worker. When he goes, he goes, but let's not create drama around this team that will hinder them.

And also, Chara's incredible work ethic, and it is incredible, there can be NO doubt about that, might be a great thing for Seguin/Hall, Colborne, Caron, and all the other youngsters to see and learn from. 

This is also another reason we should keep Stuart at (almost) all costs -- show the young guys that hard work, loyalty, and character are rewarded on this team.