Maybe it's time to start looking at Julien

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ryder73. Show ryder73's posts

Re: Maybe it's time to start looking at Julien

In Response to Re: Maybe it's time to start looking at Julien:
    [QUOTE]Hate to say it, but Recchi is a problem, but he's a big problem largely because of the chemistry issues.  This team cannot pass right now.  I guess the ice was bad last night, but it was more than that.  You can't play a possession game if you can't pass because you can't string a few quick relays together to give someone both the time and the space to create a real chance.  Everytime Bergeron has the puck for a second and then makes a pass, the world looks calmer because he's in control and he passes control with the puck.  Then the next pass is slightly off and the guy receiving it loses a half-second shifting from his backhand to his forehand or digging the puck off the wall or out of his skates.  The lanes are now gone and there's a checker on top of him.  Hard to create 'easy' goals under those conditions. The best way to restore control in that situation is move.  Again, Bergeron does this all the time, and Savard's great at it on the PP.  Change the angles, settle the puck down, and make the checker peel off to protect the lanes.  Recchi can't do this anymore.  He can still skate in a straight line, but the quick change of direction you need when your options are limited, well that's gone.  That's why he had those two turnovers near the blueline on the PP.  All he had to do was turn back toward the half-wall rather than try a risky pass to the far point.  That's the kind of bad judgement stemming from physical limitations that would get a tired rookie benched or sent down.
    Posted by Bookboy007[/QUOTE]

Exactly! Well said.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ryder73. Show ryder73's posts

The original post says that a lot of guys are playing bad.

The question is why single out Ryder and sit him in OT and/or shootout?

This is a coaching decision and a bad one.

Too many other guys are under performing to send one guy a message. Plus he didnt play that bad or worse than Recchi.

Is it a queston of effort over results?
    What is it?

In my opinion, when you are trying to win you take your chances with what Ryder can do over a guy that is trying his like hell and can't do it. Why not put Thornton out there if thats the case.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Believe1. Show Believe1's posts

Maybe Coach J. was desperate enough to switch shooters like when he had P.J. Axelson get his one shoot out goal last year.  Kessel didn't get all the points in shoot outs and he's gone.  Why is no one calling for Chiapet as a possible source of bad moves?  Anyway, was at the game last night and I would have put Ryder in there instead, too.  Chara before Recchi even.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ryder73. Show ryder73's posts

[QUOTE]Close to 40 shots last night, thats not bad coaching.  thats alot of chances with very few Lucky breaks.  Bruins have outshot every team this losing streak.  All it takes is a few to hit the twine to reverse the direction.  If we were as hapless as the Wild Id be worried, but were moving the puck and putting it on goal, just need a couple to go in.
    Posted by joebondo[/QUOTE]

Come on man. 40 shots? That has nothing to do with the coaching. Are you serious?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jedi33. Show Jedi33's posts

Recchi is old school  he  is at his best when parked infront of the net it was a questionable  call for him to be in the shoot out but when  the team is struggling 
    to score goals  everyting gets tinkered with including the shooters in the SO

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

[QUOTE]Recchi is old school  he  is at his best when parked infront of the net it was a questionable  call for him to be in the shoot out but when  the team is struggling  to score goals  everyting gets tinkered with including the shooters in the SO
    Posted by Jedi33[/QUOTE]

That's what I've been saying since last nite.  That is why thy signed him TO GO TO THE FRONT OF THE NET. CRASH IT FOR THE LOVE OF PETE !
    This is the only thing I will blame the coaching staff . Like BookBoy was saying having Recchi trying to be playmaker along the boards is absurd.  He kills any momentum and yes lost the puck three times easily. 
    As for scoring you cannot blame the coach,  they're doing the best with what they have. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

[QUOTE]Had he scored, we'd be saying, he is brilliant.
    Posted by BruinsUnite[/QUOTE]

and yes you're right.
    Sure he's slow and the rust is starting to show bit he still has one of the best snap shots on the team.
    If Recchi was the best at practice for shootout (not real hockey) of couse he was going to put him in there. So stop blaming Julien. 
    aka on BU's point !

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ryder73. Show ryder73's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Maybe it's time to start looking at Julien : That's what I've been saying since last nite.  That is why thy signed him TO GO TO THE FRONT OF THE NET. CRASH IT FOR THE LOVE OF PETE ! This is the only thing I will blame the coaching staff . Like BookBoy was saying having Recchi trying to be playmaker along the boards is absurd.  He kills any momentum and yes lost the puck three times easily.  As for scoring you cannot blame the coach,  they're doing the best with what they have. 
    Posted by BsLegion[/QUOTE]

He is 4th line player and they do not go on the ice in OT or shootouts. Bad coaching decision. PERIOD! ...another thing is... he gets pushed around like a little kid in front of the net. he just doesnt have it anymore. Stop.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Nolakanookie2. Show Nolakanookie2's posts

[QUOTE] Show me one player who is playing to his potential

THATS COACHING!!!!!!!!!!!!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BruinsFaninOntario. Show BruinsFaninOntario's posts

A few observations five weeks and a few too many goalless or near goalless games in:

1. Say what you want, and I know we've talked this thing to death, but I think management flat out whiffed on their estimation of Kessel's importance. We couldn't score a goal to save our lives and Kessel was generating scoring chances left, right and centre the other night in his 1st game back. And to those that said Sturm would make up Kessel's goals, I think the concensus is in on that one...NONSENSE!

2. The salary cap, I know I know...but other teams find a way to sign and keep their key players. I don't see Washington dumping Ovechkin or the Pens trading Crosby & Malkin for picks and prospects to get under the cap. And the Wings found a way to lock up Zetterberg & Datsyuk. And San Jose seemed to find a way to afford both Thornton & Heatley. If Jacobs hadn't spent $2 mil on buyouts to save himself a few pennies, I say Kessel would be here right now.

3. We have overestimated, I think, the ability of some players. They can't all be slumping at once. Some probably blinded us a bit last year with career years, but what they're doing this year is closer to the real them. A shakeup is needed. If this garbage is still the norm at the 20 game mark, then it's time to ship out some bodies and get a godd@m scorer. The power play is completely and totally unacceptable.

4. Claude Julien should not be exempt from scrutiny. If things don't improve soon, it might be time for a change behind the bench.

Just my thoughts. Go ahead and let me have it. I can take it.

I've been a Bruins fan since the days of Orr & Esposito and I am PI$$3D BIG TIME right now.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Believe1. Show Believe1's posts

[QUOTE]A few observations five weeks and a few too many goalless or near goalless games in: 1. Say what you want, and I know we've talked this thing to death, but I think management flat out whiffed on their estimation of Kessel's importance. We couldn't score a goal to save our lives and Kessel was generating scoring chances left, right and centre the other night in his 1st game back. And to those that said Sturm would make up Kessel's goals, I think the concensus is in on that one...NONSENSE! 2. The salary cap, I know I know...but other teams find a way to sign and keep their key players. I don't see Washington dumping Ovechkin or the Pens trading Crosby & Malkin for picks and prospects to get under the cap. And the Wings found a way to lock up Zetterberg & Datsyuk. And San Jose seemed to find a way to afford both Thornton & Heatley. If Jacobs hadn't spent $2 mil on buyouts to save himself a few pennies, I say Kessel would be here right now. 3. We have overestimated, I think, the ability of some players. They can't all be slumping at once. Some probably blinded us a bit last year with career years, but what they're doing this year is closer to the real them. A shakeup is needed. If this garbage is still the norm at the 20 game mark, then it's time to ship out some bodies and get a godd@m scorer. The power play is completely and totally unacceptable. 4. Claude Julien should not be exempt from scrutiny. If things don't improve soon, it might be time for a change behind the bench. Just my thoughts. Go ahead and let me have it. I can take it. I've been a Bruins fan since the days of Orr & Esposito and I am PI$$3D BIG TIME right now.
    Posted by BruinsFaninOntario[/QUOTE]

At least you have an opinion and some possible thoughts about what to do--I am glad Kessel is gone and would rather use the Cap for Savard.  You watch, Kessel is going to knocked off the puck, injury prone and won't be a team player.  Disturbing that not many are playing to their fullest.  I'd work them into the ground and want to win games to avoid me as the coach, but hey, what do I know. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from TimThomas-god. Show TimThomas-god's posts

Kessel would not have returned if Julien was the coach, plain and simple.  At the time, I didn't care if Kessel came back.  Now, it looks like the team could use his goals.  Plus, Julien is doing an awful job coaching right now.  I want to see some Johnny Boychuk!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from TimThomas-god. Show TimThomas-god's posts

[QUOTE]The issue isn't Recchi and it isn't Wideman (I have seen too many threads about Wideman here). No one is playing well, with the exception of Thomas and about 2 other guys. Say what you will but Thomas allowed 4 goals (in regulation time) in the last 3 games. Goaltending isn't the issue. Show me one player who is playing to his potential , aside from Bergie (playing well but he can't score if he's the only one on the line working hard) and Savvy, who isn's supposed to be the prime goal-scorer but had 4 goals and 3 assists in 7 games, not to mention all the plays he set up, which don't appear in the stats . Pointing the finger at one guy is a mistake. Pointing the finger at lack of team chemistry is not. But you know, it's an entirely new team with lines that differ greatly from the lines of 08/09. There's no way they were just going to suddely start playing really well together, right from the start, and there is no way this was ever going to be a team performing like last season's team. It's not the same team. Moreover, lines are being changed constantly, and there has been no opportunity, as of yet, for the guys to get comfortable with their respective roles. Sobotka and Wheeler look like they're well on their way. Case in point: 1. here is the duo playing like 2 headless chickens ; 2. here is the duo finding a little chemistry ; 3. and reciprocating one another's efforts . Most of these guys are playing like headless chckens rught now, bouncing off each other on the ice and hitting each other in the face with the puck while trying to make passes (a circus). But the chemistry, if it comes, must only come after the lines have grown accustomed to one another. My optimism gives them about a month before I start to panic.

How is Wideman not the issue?  He was the only reason the Canadiens even scored a goal last night.  The guy blows.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BruinsUnite. Show BruinsUnite's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Maybe it's time to start looking at Julien : How is Wideman not the issue?  He was the only reason the Canadiens even scored a goal last night.  The guy blows.
    Posted by TimThomas-god[/QUOTE]

Was it Wideman who wiped out when the habs were on the attack??

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from stingerjp. Show stingerjp's posts

[QUOTE]Stupid idea, change the coach. The players are on the ice...Kevin Paul "The Genius" Dupont, stated the Bruins won't miss Kessel's 36 goals. He's an idiot.  Kessel created space on the ice for others to be free to put shots on goal. You have to many overpriced lugs. They threw 4 million at Ryder, because Julien liked him, Strum is overpriced to...dump these salaries asap and get young hungry" players. It's a joke that these "professionals" can't score goals...
    Posted by hARRIS666[/QUOTE]

The problem is NOT overpriced players and the problem is NOT missing a former players 36 goals.  The problem is that MANY people are not playing up to their ability.  Recchi is one.  So is Ryder-they both have been horrible.  Wideman is a decent player but has had a horrific season so far.  I'll give Krejci and Sturm a pass for now because they are coming back from major injuries and usually players need some time to get back to form(Tom Brady is a good example). 
    Chara has been a disappointment too.

There is still hope-team D, PK unit, and goaltending have all looked strong.  The B's need the guys they already have to start playing up to their potential.  If they can and the rest of the guys get healthy, things will start to look up.  I think it's wrong to look at this losing streak and begin to remove players from the team. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BruinsUnite. Show BruinsUnite's posts

[QUOTE]Hate to say it, but Recchi is a problem, but he's a big problem largely because of the chemistry issues.  This team cannot pass right now.  I guess the ice was bad last night, but it was more than that.  You can't play a possession game if you can't pass because you can't string a few quick relays together to give someone both the time and the space to create a real chance.  Everytime Bergeron has the puck for a second and then makes a pass, the world looks calmer because he's in control and he passes control with the puck.  Then the next pass is slightly off and the guy receiving it loses a half-second shifting from his backhand to his forehand or digging the puck off the wall or out of his skates.  The lanes are now gone and there's a checker on top of him.  Hard to create 'easy' goals under those conditions.

So many insightful contributions on this thread that it reminds me why I registered on these boards in the first place.

Bookboy: Awesome point. Nor Recchi's fault, but his efficiency was based on how well he fit in with the lines J put him on. Those lines are gone and chemistry is gone-- if it returns we might just see over 20 goals from Recchi this season. If not, then not.

[QUOTE]Oh, and Wheeler deserves a bit of a pass on this one.  Good chip and chase on a couple of occasions.  Used his speed better today than most games this year, and generated some good chances.  Needs to bury them.  Ryder had his most creative game, too, with some great bursts.  Slurm needs a GPS to find the net.  Wow.

I have to admit he is exceeding my expectations right now (I was never a big a Wheeler fan). Maybe it's just because everyone else is su cking the big one but that's what it seems like.

[QUOTE]Perhaps he was willing to give Mark a chance to do something positive for himself and the team to get him going for the long term,  over risking  1 point at this stage of the season.
    Posted by watchtower[/QUOTE]

Watchtower (what r u a JW? lol): I thunk he really wanted this point, and I have to insist on this-- as Believe1 said, remember that crazy decisionn to put Axelsson into the shootout lineup? it worked. Coaches have to go out on a limb sometimes-- especially when all else is failing. That said, I would have used Chara. He has the motivation to turn this around. And remember that crazy shootout slapshot he took last season? I do. don't remember who it was against but it was brilliant.

[QUOTE]Close to 40 shots last night, thats not bad coaching.  thats alot of chances with very few Lucky breaks.  Bruins have outshot every team this losing streak.  All it takes is a few to hit the twine to reverse the direction.  If we were as hapless as the Wild Id be worried, but were moving the puck and putting it on goal, just need a couple to go in.

Yeah but take a look at those shots on goal! They're wimpy and they made even Price look good! That's what got me most last night. This team made Price look good. Makes me sick to the stomach. But the point is, I see a whole bunch of really cra ppy shots on net in the past few games-- not real scoring attempts. That's what they need to work on, but can you teach that? broken record: Need a coupld of natural goal scorers. Sigh

BruinsFaninOntario: Awesome post, even if I disagree. I don't think they need to throw out the bath with the bath water. i think Julien needs to knock these guys off their current track, and I think the nice guy approach isn't working. So maybe he should kick their arses a little-- get mad for Xst sake.Wake these boys up with a little attitude. They should ALL be mad as he ll right now.

[QUOTE]Stupid idea, change the coach. The players are on the ice...Kevin Paul "The Genius" Dupont, stated the Bruins won't miss Kessel's 36 goals. He's an idiot.  Kessel created space on the ice for others to be free to put shots on goal. You have to many overpriced lugs. They threw 4 million at Ryder, because Julien liked him, Strum is overpriced to...dump these salaries asap and get young hungry" players. It's a joke that these "professionals" can't score goals...
    Posted by hARRIS666[/QUOTE]

Genius s rght! StOOPID StOOPID StOOPID

"It's a joke that these "professionals" can't score goals"

Well put.

[QUOTE]Kessel would not have returned if Julien was the coach, plain and simple.  At the time, I didn't care if Kessel came back.  Now, it looks like the team could use his goals.  Plus, Julien is doing an awful job coaching right now.  I want to see some Johnny Boychuk!
    Posted by TimThomas-god[/QUOTE]

Well yeah-- they could sort of use a goal scorer

What possesses management to decide that the one natural goal scorer on a professional hockey team is the expendible player? I'm baffled.

But hey-- we got Chara and Morris! We got a bunch of 20-goal scorers! Who needs a natural goal scorer? It's only the NHL! Shouldn't a good defense be enough?

Oh yeah-- maybe you win hockey games by scoring goals, right? Defense is what happens in the background while you're defending the LEAD you got by SCORING.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from stingerjp. Show stingerjp's posts

BsUnite- come up for air bro!!!

I agree with your thoughts on the shootout.  I was also trying to predict who they would choose after Wheels and Bergy and had no idea.  Recchi had a lot to shoot at but couldn't finish.

The Chara shootout goal, I believe, was vs the Rangers early in the season?

Useless bring up the 'lost' production from free agents passed.  They are on pace to score WAY BELOW last season's total.  Having the brat from last year wouldn't have changed things at this point(but woulda helped after the injury)-just about everyone is below last year's production except Bergy.  That is not a huge show of support for Patrice- he had his horrible stretch of play LAST season...

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from BruinsGM24. Show BruinsGM24's posts

Julien is doing a fine job considering this underachieving bunch.  Recchi's SO attempt wasn't that bad.  I can't believe people couldn't see he was trying to slip the puck under Price while faking to the forehand.  It NEARLY worked, and if it had, we'd be singing a different tune.

And BruinsUnite, you make a number of good points, but I disagree with you on Kessel.  I was all for keeping Kessel, but at $5M+, it wasn't worth it.  And you'll see what I mean as the next 5 years unfold.  Kessel will be good, but where is he going to get the space (last year from Looch) and the perfect passes (last year from Savvy) in Toronto?  He is what he is, a fast 30-goal scorer.  If he were willing to take Krecji money, for 2-3 years, I think he would have stayed.

Also, Defense is what you do to wear your opponents down, frustrate them, and force them into turnovers which turn into the goals you need to win.  The Bruins did that all year last year.  Patience.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from bruinsking. Show bruinsking's posts

I like some of the things julien does . but mark recchie has proved being 1 for 10 in shootouts that this is not his specialty. Playing whitfield I just can't see it. And to all these fans who say were outshooting the other teams . flick wrist shots on the goalies from sixty feet are not only worthless but it also keeps the opposing goalies  confidence  up . shawn thorton taking five or six of these a game is just a waste of time . Throw the puck in the corner forecheck hard and make there defense work.  sorry if I mispelled some words but i had surgery and am just now getting out of the hospital and am taking some pretty strong pain killers. I hate to beat a dead horse  but if julien doesn't put in boychuk in to see what he can do We have no way to really improve our offense .

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from pucman. Show pucman's posts

if you were as hapless as the Wild ud be a Hurricane

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from JYaso. Show JYaso's posts

Coaching

posted at 11/4/2009 10:26 AM EST
    First: 7/1/2009
    Last: 10/26/2009

I've said this numerous times so here it goes again---- The Bruins problem is their system and their Coaches inability to deviate from a system that Carolina showed how to stop in the playoffs last year.  The players are not even buying into it, therefore their sluggish, uninspiring play.  Yes, they have some injuries, but it is time to look beyond them and get to the real problem.  This team needs a COACHING CHANGE!  You do not have to look any further then the Penguins last year--- with all their talent it took a change in coaching to turn them around.

How many of you thought last night when the Bruins went down 2-0 in the first period that they had no chance to come back?  This team offensively challenged because of the system that they play.  Going to be a long season!