Montreal Gazette: Burke asks Taylor Hall, Tyler Seguin to 'retire'

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from RascalHoudi. Show RascalHoudi's posts

Montreal Gazette: Burke asks Taylor Hall, Tyler Seguin to 'retire'

http://www.montrealgazette.com/sports/hockey/montreal-canadiens/Burke+begs+Hall+Seguin+retire/3085162/story.html

Can you believe that the Gazette would publish this and it's not even April 1 ?

I get a kick out of the comments section from people who take this story seriously.  lol

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucaooo. Show lucaooo's posts

Re: Montreal Gazette: Burke asks Taylor Hall, Tyler Seguin to 'retire'

What a bunch of rats!!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Nashoba33. Show Nashoba33's posts

Burke can never stop. he knows the phil kessel trade was a BIG mistake. now the only way to get what he wants is to beg seguin and hall to retire.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

The one quote I have to laugh at is the leafs scouting director Dave Morrison says he loves the trade and it makes them a better team. They went from finishing 7th worst to 2nd worst . How did that make them a better team ? 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In Response to Re: Montreal Gazette: Burke asks Taylor Hall, Tyler Seguin to 'retire':
    The one quote I have to laugh at is the leafs scouting director Dave Morrison says he loves the trade and it makes them a better team. They went from finishing 7th worst to 2nd worst . How did that make them a better team ? 
    Posted by Chowdahkid-

Adding Phil Kessel to that roster certainly made them a better team.  There were many more factors involved in their demise last season.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from macdogcharm. Show macdogcharm's posts

sounds like a joke...BUT...can someone explain it to me?? Even if they both "retired", which obviousely would not happen....what set of events would possibly land them in Toronto??? What am I missing?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In Response to Re: Montreal Gazette: Burke asks Taylor Hall, Tyler Seguin to 'retire':
    sounds like a joke...BUT...can someone explain it to me?? Even if they both "retired", which obviousely would not happen....what set of events would possibly land them in Toronto??? What am I missing?
    Posted by macdogcharm

In theory, if they retired, no one would draft them.  Then, at the 62nd pick, Burke could coax Hall out of retirement and pick him.  Same with Seguin later (or vice versa).

It's a funny idea that the Gazette didn't find so funny.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

In Response to Re: Montreal Gazette: Burke asks Taylor Hall, Tyler Seguin to 'retire' : Adding Phil Kessel to that roster certainly made them a better team.  There were many more factors involved in their demise last season.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot

I thought a better team means winning more games then you did before. What is your basis saying they were a better team ? Show me proof not rhetoric. How can I believe you when all I see is you say they were better . I live near Toronto and have all their games available to me . I know what I saw and no matter how you sugar coat it they were still the 2nd worst team in the league with Burke as GM. Like you have said about the draft and people not seeing the players and calling them frauds , did you watch enough of the Leafs to form this opinion ? Cause if you did and this is your opinion , that they were better , your standards are pretty low because from what I seen ,they were terrible and any Leaf fan around me ( and there are lots ) would tell you the same.

P.S. The main factor of the Leafs being so bad was that Burke assembled this team at the start  of the year and it was so bad that he had to blow it up. That is the main reason.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In Response to Re: Montreal Gazette: Burke asks Taylor Hall, Tyler Seguin to 'retire' : I thought a better team means winning more games then you did before. What is your basis saying they were a better team ?
    Posted by Chowdahkid-

The Leafs added Kessel and subtracted no one in that deal.  I think we're looking at it two different ways.  You're looking at it year to year, while I'm looking at it as if they made the deal or didn't.  Your point:  From year to year, they had a worse record last season, therefore they weren't a better team.  My point:  If they didn't have Kessel last season, they would have been a worse team, therefore the deal made them better.  We're actually talking about two completely different things.

No point in trying to call me out, ask for stats, proof or anything else.  My posts are well thought out and thought through.

And yes, I watched plenty of Leafs games last season.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from bandgbleeder. Show bandgbleeder's posts

Or July 1 they could take free agent deals with Toronto. 

In Response to Re: Montreal Gazette: Burke asks Taylor Hall, Tyler Seguin to 'retire' : In theory, if they retired, no one would draft them.  Then, at the 62nd pick, Burke could coax Hall out of retirement and pick him.  Same with Seguin later (or vice versa). It's a funny idea that the Gazette didn't find so funny.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BuckNakie. Show BuckNakie's posts

If this actually panned out for Toronto wouldn't it be consider tampering on some level?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from CHARAWINSTHENORRIS. Show CHARAWINSTHENORRIS's posts

In Response to Re: Montreal Gazette: Burke asks Taylor Hall, Tyler Seguin to 'retire' : I thought a better team means winning more games then you did before. What is your basis saying they were a better team ? Show me proof not rhetoric. How can I believe you when all I see is you say they were better . I live near Toronto and have all their games available to me . I know what I saw and no matter how you sugar coat it they were still the 2nd worst team in the league with Burke as GM. Like you have said about the draft and people not seeing the players and calling them frauds , did you watch enough of the Leafs to form this opinion ? Cause if you did and this is your opinion , that they were better , your standards are pretty low because from what I seen ,they were terrible and any Leaf fan around me ( and there are lots ) would tell you the same. P.S. The main factor of the Leafs being so bad was that Burke assembled this team at the start  of the year and it was so bad that he had to blow it up. That is the main reason.
    Posted by Chowdahkid-

Hey chowder, this was a very funny post, I got a good laugh out of it, mainly because everything you said is so true. Right on the money. And I too live near Toronto. You gotta admit, the Leafs are FUNNY! For comedic value, they are hard to beat. Hall or Seguin alone will probably give the Bruins the victory in this trade, but add on a high #2 this year, and who knows, maybe another lottery pick next year, and the Bruins should be slam dunk winners here. Burke probably can't sleep at night these days. Haha, try an insomnia prescription, Brian, while we're out loading up on studs at the draft, studs that would've been yours. And no matter how you and your flunkies try to spin it, Burkie, YOU GOT FLEECED!! Now take your third round nobody and get outta here!

I just hope the Leafs are so bad that I can actually get a ticket when the Bruins come to town. Funny.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

http://twitter.com/NotBrianBurke

"And can you imagine the traffic problems with a Stanley Cup parade? No thank you."

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from CHARAWINSTHENORRIS. Show CHARAWINSTHENORRIS's posts

If this actually panned out for Toronto wouldn't it be consider tampering on some level?
    Posted by BuckNakie

Given a choice between playing pehaps for the Bruins, a team that has a legitimate shot at the Cup next year, and signing with Toronto, a team that has, oh, been a joke since like pretty near the time some RCA engineer somewhere dreamed about inventing colour TV, I'm thinking Hall & Seguin are more likely to stand pat. Just a hunch.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

In Response to Re: Montreal Gazette: Burke asks Taylor Hall, Tyler Seguin to 'retire' : The Leafs added Kessel and subtracted no one in that deal.  I think we're looking at it two different ways.  You're looking at it year to year, while I'm looking at it as if they made the deal or didn't.  Your point:  From year to year, they had a worse record last season, therefore they weren't a better team.  My point:  If they didn't have Kessel last season, they would have been a worse team, therefore the deal made them better.  We're actually talking about two completely different things. No point in trying to call me out, ask for stats, proof or anything else.  My posts are well thought out and thought through. And yes, I watched plenty of Leafs games last season.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot

They spent $5 million on Kessel and gave up three picks , finish 2nd worst and all that you can say is they are better with Kessel in the lineup than without him. How about go get someone else and pay him $5 million and you still finish with a pitiful record plus you still have your picks. Kessel was acquired because Burke said he wanted to win now and didn't want to wait for a 5year plan. To say they are a better team the way you are talking about , well I don't think this is what Burke had in mind as far as getting better when he acquired Kessel. Not exactly something Burke can brag about or anybody who thinks his moves with the Leafs have benefited them up till this point..

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kurako. Show Kurako's posts

Just out of interest. Has a scenario like that ( player 'retires' only to change his mind mid-draft) ever happened in pro sports?

It sounds like complete nonsense to me and nothing more than a joke that the media has blown out of proportion.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

In Response to Re: Montreal Gazette: Burke asks Taylor Hall, Tyler Seguin to 'retire' : Hey chowder, this was a very funny post, I got a good laugh out of it, mainly because everything you said is so true. Right on the money. And I too live near Toronto. You gotta admit, the Leafs are FUNNY! For comedic value, they are hard to beat. Hall or Seguin alone will probably give the Bruins the victory in this trade, but add on a high #2 this year, and who knows, maybe another lottery pick next year, and the Bruins should be slam dunk winners here. Burke probably can't sleep at night these days. Haha, try an insomnia prescription, Brian, while we're out loading up on studs at the draft, studs that would've been yours. And no matter how you and your flunkies try to spin it, Burkie, YOU GOT FLEECED!! Now take your third round nobody and get outta here! I just hope the Leafs are so bad that I can actually get a ticket when the Bruins come to town. Funny.
    Posted by CHARAWINSTHENORRIS

Chara, and don't you love to watch Burke get that scornful look on his face when someone asks him about the Kessel deal and he says he would still do the same deal today. Ya okay Brian , it's Kessel you have, not Crosby.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from pauly1. Show pauly1's posts

In Response to Re: Montreal Gazette: Burke asks Taylor Hall, Tyler Seguin to 'retire' : Adding Phil Kessel to that roster certainly made them a better team.  There were many more factors involved in their demise last season.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot
    They may have been a better team in there minds. Unfortunately for leaf fans, on the ice (where it counts) they slipped even further. They where terrible long before all the moves close to the deadline.
    Please name some of these factors (sounds like there's a lot I missed out on) other than Komi going out for the season, the other guys in and out is something every team has to deal with.
    As I'm sure you know, Komi and kessel where straight up additions they should have been a much better team.

The only thing they got right was there work ethic. I watched a lot of leaf games last year and they never seem to quit.

Even after the goaltending upgrade the loses kept coming 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from duinne. Show duinne's posts

In Response to Re: Montreal Gazette: Burke asks Taylor Hall, Tyler Seguin to 'retire' : Chara, and don't you love to watch Burke get that scornful look on his face when someone asks him about the Kessel deal and he says he would still do the same deal today. Ya okay Brian , it's Kessel you have, not Crosby.
    Posted by Chowdahkid-

Of course he's going to say that. What do you expect him to say, "I made a mistake!"?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from CHARAWINSTHENORRIS. Show CHARAWINSTHENORRIS's posts

In Response to Re: Montreal Gazette: Burke asks Taylor Hall, Tyler Seguin to 'retire' : Chara, and don't you love to watch Burke get that scornful look on his face when someone asks him about the Kessel deal and he says he would still do the same deal today. Ya okay Brian , it's Kessel you have, not Crosby.
    Posted by Chowdahkid-

Oh I love that, Burkie just won't admit he got beat like a drum, but my favourite thing about the Leafs is watching them on TV when they give up the game-winning goal with four seconds to play and lose AGAIN, and then the cameras show the sad face of Ron Wilson behind the bench. Whenever this happens, he always looks like a kid that woke up on Christmas morning to find all he got was socks. Hilarious! You'd think he'd know by now. I can never get enough of watching these jokers get hammered, especially when we've got their #1 pick. I knew the Leafs would be good for something eventually.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

In Response to Re: Montreal Gazette: Burke asks Taylor Hall, Tyler Seguin to 'retire' : Oh I love that, Burkie just won't admit he got beat like a drum, but my favourite thing about the Leafs is watching them on TV when they give up the game-winning goal with four seconds to play and lose AGAIN, and then the cameras show the sad face of Ron Wilson behind the bench. Whenever this happens, he always looks like a kid that woke up on Christmas morning to find all he got was socks. Hilarious! You'd think he'd know by now. I can never get enough of watching these jokers get hammered, especially when we've got their #1 pick. I knew the Leafs would be good for something eventually.
    Posted by CHARAWINSTHENORRIS

At least they were better with Kessel like a certain poster has stated . Better then what ? The Oilers ? That's like saying constipation is better then diarrhea ?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In Response to Re: Montreal Gazette: Burke asks Taylor Hall, Tyler Seguin to 'retire' : Of course he's going to say that. What do you expect him to say, "I made a mistake!"?
    Posted by duinne

Thus far, in black and white, he hasn't made a mistake.  If the guy the B's get turns into an absolute superstar, and the following year's guy turns out average, then I'm sure he'll look back and admit he didn't make the best move.

If this year's guy turns into a 40 goal scorer, and next year's guy is a bum, it's a wash.

Why would Burke say anything about coming out on top or on bottom when the full equation hasn't been calculated?

(yes, I know there is a second round pick as well, but the second round is a roll of the dice)

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from john6345. Show john6345's posts

Saying 2nd round picks are a roll of the dice is not necessarily true actually the have a better than average shot at being serviceable nhl players.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Saying 2nd round picks are a roll of the dice is not necessarily true actually the have a better than average shot at being serviceable nhl players.
    Posted by john6345

I found this on Fanhouse:

Here's a look at the numbers between 1998 (when the league expanded to 28 teams, and, eventually, to the 30 teams we see today) and 2005.

-- 167 of the 274 players taken played at least one game in the NHL (60 percent).
    -- 67 played at least 100 games (24 percent)
    -- Of the 251 skaters taken, 110 scored at least one goal, while only 18 (to this point) have scored more than 50.

http://nhl.fanhouse.com/2010/03/02/the-odds-of-finding-an-nhl-player-with-a-second-round-pick/

I'd say that's a crapshoot.

Here's another look.  It's a bit skewed because it's from the time when there were only 21 teams, so early second round picks then would be late first round picks now:

Between 1990 and 2005 there were 472 players selected in the second round of the NHL draft.

-- 312 of the 472 players selected played at least one game in the NHL, 66 percent.
    -- 146 of the 472 players at least 100 games (31 percent).
    -- There were 434 skaters (forwards and defenseman) selected during this time period, with 218 of them scoring at least one goal. Only 59 have have scored more than 50 goals in their careers (just under 14 percent).

Still, if only 14% are going to get 50 goals in their career, that's a not better than average odds to me.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichmondHillOntario. Show RichmondHillOntario's posts

Should whomever our club chooses make an impact of some significance next year and then eventually live up to his advanced billing and develop into a top-flight player, the Leafs had better get used to seeing someone they should have had playing for years to come.  

Either Burke and company over-estimated the contending status of their roster or they believed the Leafs would've been better than they were, they chose to part with high draft picks for PK.