My 2 Cents on the Horton/Wideman Trade

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BruWingFan. Show BruWingFan's posts

My 2 Cents on the Horton/Wideman Trade

I'm not going to re-post on every discussion on this topic so here it is.

I haven't hid my distain for Nathan Horton on a personal and professional level. But now that he's a Bruin I welcome him and Greg Campbell to the team. I'm looking forward to seeing him put forth the effort and show that he's turned the page, on and off the ice, be a positive influence in the locker room and fully realize his talent. If he does that... I'll gladly take my crow seasoned with some lemon and pepper with a little bruschetta on the side. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Re: My 2 Cents on the Horton/Wideman Trade

Here is mine:

I think the B's gave up too much.  I think Chiarelli could have gotten more for each part individually than he did on the whole.

BUT

I've spent a lot of time over the past few years feeling dejected about bad deals the B's have made.  I'm not going to this time.  Instead, I'm going all bright side.

Heavy hitting right winger who can score?  Glory be to us.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from OlsonicCreations. Show OlsonicCreations's posts

In Response to Re: My 2 Cents on the Horton/Wideman Trade:
    Here is mine: I think the B's gave up too much.  I think Chiarelli could have gotten more for each part individually than he did on the whole. BUT I've spent a lot of time over the past few years feeling dejected about bad deals the B's have made.  I'm not going to this time.  Instead, I'm going all bright side. Heavy hitting right winger who can score?  Glory be to us.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot

AMEN. I salute the positive outlook. Nitpicking over this stuff distracts from the present team, which is the only thing that is relevant. I prefer not to analyze the GM, I think the position gets too much credit and too much blame.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BruWingFan. Show BruWingFan's posts

NAS, I agree... But I too will give it some time to play out. Losing the #15 pick bothers me. Now, if it was Frolik coming this way instead of Campbell I'd be doing cartwheels.. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from TimThomas-god. Show TimThomas-god's posts

Here is mine: I think the B's gave up too much.  I think Chiarelli could have gotten more for each part individually than he did on the whole. BUT I've spent a lot of time over the past few years feeling dejected about bad deals the B's have made.  I'm not going to this time.  Instead, I'm going all bright side. Heavy hitting right winger who can score?  Glory be to us.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot

I can't believe I'm saying this NAS, but I agree with you. 

I was listening to Felger and Mazz today (after the trade) and they were saying the deal was Horton for the 15th overall pick, with Wideman included to balance out the salaries.  Seems logical to me.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from 306bruinsfan. Show 306bruinsfan's posts

I'll reserve judgement until I see how each player does next season.  Both players seemed like they could use a change of scenery.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from MontrealBrewin. Show MontrealBrewin's posts

Our team is better today than it was yesterday. We lost Kessel, Wideman, and #15...in return we get Horton, either Hall/Seguin and Toronto's #1 again next year.

Today was a good day.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from TimThomas-god. Show TimThomas-god's posts

i do this deal any day if i was the bruins..it was the 15 pick for horton and that,s a steal for boston and wideman was the salary bait ....... next thomas and savard should start looking for real estates agents
    Posted by pissttt

YES

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

I liked the trade but the 15th pick was not the right choice, Toronto's second would have been more equal imo.  Horton is a good gamble.  Wideman is no longer an engima.  

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from pucman. Show pucman's posts

im sure ex teammate seidenberg was asked his 2 cents on Horton....if he told PC to "stay away from that kid" he wouldnt be a bruin today....im putting my faith in different surroundings upping this kids game

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from yaz16. Show yaz16's posts

How did the bruins give up too much? Even if i think of it as Horton for the 15th pick and Campbell for wideman we win on this deal.

Horton is easily worth a mid first round pick

The guy playing along Savard will score a ton of goals

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

How did the bruins give up too much? Even if i think of it as Horton for the 15th pick and Campbell for wideman we win on this deal. Horton is easily worth a mid first round pick The guy playing along Savard will score a ton of goals
    Posted by yaz16

A puck moving defenseman who can play 20+ minutes a game is worth a little more than a throwaway fourth line RFA.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from No4BobbyOrr-GOAT. Show No4BobbyOrr-GOAT's posts

TT and Sav don't need agents, they are not moving unless they want to.

Sav signed to stay, TT may move to get #1 mins, but he is a fighter that won't just give up his position yet.

Semantics we don't lose #15. The way I heard this first I thought we were getting their pick, it was Horton and a pick for some B. PC blinked this time as opposed to the Kab for Kess deal.

I like our return, just crying for the pick.

Sorry Ols the GM is to be held accountable, not just the trades but def the salaries and Cap management, why Tallon did not get a ring even though it was his team.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from No4BobbyOrr-GOAT. Show No4BobbyOrr-GOAT's posts

PC is getting smarter at least this time there is no buyout required.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from wallydouglas. Show wallydouglas's posts

Before the playoffs we all cried to rid of wideman, hes gone, traded for campbell, a 3rd or 4th line better than Begin, a good deal for us  if campbell signs with the Bs for a lot less that what wideman was getting. ( A+) signing, if he doesnt, hes a RFA, what do we get if he signs elsewhere ? something better than the 3rd round 2011 pick the bs gave up also. As for the 15th for Horton, The Bs got a scoring winger we all been crying for, Hortons potential as mentioned somewhere else here, A Neely type deal, if so ( A+) if not, who knows. Now the # 32 and 45 might get us back to the 1st roundwith another deal because the Bs still have some assets to add to it. If for some reason the Bs get Hall, the Bs will have the best 2 lines in the NHL again.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from bruinsGENIUS. Show bruinsGENIUS's posts

too bad our 15th is gone..hopefully Nate delivers consistantly

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from watchtower. Show watchtower's posts

In Response to My 2 Cents on the Horton/Wideman Trade:
    I'm not going to re-post on every discussion on this topic so here it is. I haven't hid my distain for Nathan Horton on a personal and professional level. But now that he's a Bruin I welcome him and Greg Campbell to the team. I'm looking forward to seeing him put forth the effort and show that he's turned the page, on and off the ice, be a positive influence in the locker room and fully realize his talent. If he does that... I'll gladly take my crow seasoned with some lemon and pepper with a little bruschetta on the side. 
    Posted by BruWingFan

Lemon peppered crow tastes as good as lemon peppered squab, when you ain't got no squab! This kid has a new life in Boston. Five different coaches in Florida? I say that the big stud will flourish with the BRUINS, and his arrival will push Looch  as well.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In Response to My 2 Cents on the Horton/Wideman Trade : Lemon peppered crow tastes as good as lemon peppered squab, when you ain't got no squab! This kid has a new life in Boston. Five different coaches in Florida? I say that the big stud will flourish with the BRUINS, and his arrival will push Looch  as well.
    Posted by watchtower

That is a really good point, and one I didn't think of.  Lucic is going to see how Horton performs, see what it takes to score 25 goals.  Let's hope Horton gives his best effort nightly, and Lucic raises his game.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsFanGermany. Show PatsFanGermany's posts

Have you seen what the 15th overall has produced?  I'm not sure if it's bad mojo or an awful coincidence but those players picked at #15 for the past 20 or so years are horrendous.  They have a combined total of like 51 games played.

Getting rid of #15 was a good thing.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Reilly24. Show Reilly24's posts

I agree Pats fan. Last week pick #15 looked pretty awesome but now that we don't have it, kinda looks like a terrible pick.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from dskerr. Show dskerr's posts

Bruins fans have developed such a hatred for Wideman, they can't see the trade value he has (or should I say had).  A top 4 puck carrying defenseman who plays 20+ mins a game is worth a lot more than Campbell or a late round pick.  If you want to argue that Horton for the 15th pick a fair value, that's fine, but to just "throw in" Wideman to "even out the salaries" is a stupid arguement and not maximizing the Bruins assets.  Bottom line is the Bruins overpayed here.  Horton for the 15th overall pick should have been enough. Personally, I'd rather have seen both Ference and Hunwick traded before Wideman.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from JYaso. Show JYaso's posts

All of you clowns were just hoping some team would take Wideman off the Bruins hands.  Now we found a sucker in the Florida Panthers and they gave us a potential 35 goal a year scorer @ 25 years old and who is also not afraid to drop his gloves.  Who cares about the #15 pick-- you are overvaluing it.  Whoever Florida picks @ 15 will probably not even see NHL ice time for a couple of years and possibly not at all.  The Bruins get a talented young/in his prime goal scorer and eliminate inconsistent play in their own zone with Wideman.

GREAT TRADE!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from WalkTheLine. Show WalkTheLine's posts

Maybe this will make some of us feel better about losing the 15th overall pick.

Here are the #15 picks for the past 6 years, who drafated them and where they played this past season
    2009 Peter Holland C - Ducks. CHL
    2008 Erik Karlsson D - Senators. AHL
    2007 Alex Plante D - Oilers. WHL
    2006 Riku Helenius G - Lightning. ECHL
    2005 Ryan O'Marra C - Islanders (traded to Oilers later). AHL
    2004 Alex Radulov RW - Predators. KHL (played 2 season in NHL, I think, before bolting for Russia.

While some of these guys may be decent NHLers someday, #15 is a long shot to be an impact player. I only went back to 04 so maybe this is an unfair sample. But it makes me feel a bit better so I'm good with it.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from No4BobbyOrr-GOAT. Show No4BobbyOrr-GOAT's posts

Last 20 years on #15 total games 3294.

Last 5 years 65 games 2not played yet and a goalie has 1 game.

Previous 15 - 4 stayed in Russia and 1 stayed in Finland.

So 10 players picked played 3229 games an average of 322.9 games per player picked on the #15, doesn't seem that bad an average.

12 of 20 not from North America, 60% is very high per ratio of league players, looks like a lot were possibly desperate ploys to get a European star.

Wonder if Flo will pick Kirill.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from raa5150. Show raa5150's posts

This kid has Neely's fingerprint all over it. Big strong scorer, exactly what this team needs. Now we can sign Stuart and Boychuk. I am pumped for next season, as devastating as that collapse was. Next up trade Timmy and make some cap room.