N.H.L. Draft

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from JYaso. Show JYaso's posts

Re: N.H.L. Draft

First: 10/13/2009
    Last: 5/26/2010
    What if they trade the #2 to Florida for their pick, and Horton.
    Florida gets a name to show case and a great player.
    Boston gets a (possible) great Dman, and a scoring winger.
    The reason I think about this is that Chara isn't the guy. He has had many chances to really shine in the playoffs - offensively, and hasn't. He plays great D, but at $7mil, you want the points too.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

What is this infatuation with Horton--- nice player, but you just don't give up the chance to draft Seguin or Hall--- plain and simple.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from hayley-1999. Show hayley-1999's posts

Unless Chara played hurt all season he has clearly slipped. I watched him during the Olympics and the play-offs and clearly the guy was not close to being as effective as last season , and it was really noticeable. I think the guy's on the way down ! Do the Bruins A.)Want to get something while they can for him B.) Pass on what could be three all-star Defensemen (the best I believe is Fowler) C.) Keep Chara and then decide not to resign him at the end of next year. Big players as a rule go quickly once they start to decline. And I don't think he will give the Bruins a hometown discount.  I do believe the Bruins should definitely draft Seguin or Hall but should not pass on this opportunity. Also I think the Samsonov, Thornton comparison is incorrect. Those two guys were drafted on to a terrible team. Not so here.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Awry. Show Awry's posts

good insight on Ryder 'islamorada' - Under-performer for under-performer.
    which makes me think, if Raffi Torres is not a Bruin this off-season, I'm an albino. He has just that right mix of half-effectiveness and strange name that Chiarelli seems to covet. He has all the 'jam', 'edge', 'sandpaper', 'grit' and
    fall-down-a-lotiveness that 'looks' like supreme effort.
    Please Pete! No Raffi Torres!
    Say what you want about Sinden but filling the bottom/middle of the roster (a necessity with Jacobs as Owner) was his bread n butter, his genius. For a buncha years there Harry found the REAL players.
    To his credit, this year, Chiarelli found Satan's last legs in a timely fashion, a guy no one else wanted, and got the team into the Playoffs. That was Sindenesque.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrCC. Show DrCC's posts

One option I don't think I've seen mentioned yet: using #32 and X (Wheeler?  Later picks?) to get another top 20 pick.  Not as sexy as two top 10 picks, but if the draft is as deep as it is being portrayed, 3 top 20 picks might be a good gamble, and more likely to be agreed upon by another GM.
    Twelve+ spots is a lot of movement though.  Anyone have a good sense what that might take?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

//That was Sindenesque./ Very good assessment and they only way I can read that man's name when it's hidden.

I'm really hoping for the bottom/middle to be filled by PCs picks n trades not by a bunch of ex-Hab stiffs that Bs fans have to endure the last few years.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from davecarr. Show davecarr's posts

In Response to N.H.L. Draft:
    I don't know about the rest of you bruins fans , but I just spent this weekend watching the Memorial Cup Finals on the N.H.L. network . As advertised Forward Taylor Hall was lights out and of course is going to be a real star , and  I have seen Center Tyler Seguin's team against Hall's  team a few weeks ago. He is also a terrific player . The Bruins will be a big winner with either of these players! But I saw a kid  I thought was the best player on the ice in all the games I watched and that kid was defenseman Cam Fowler, Hall teammate on the Windsor Spitfires. Great all round two way defenseman ,was a real man amongst boys. Plays great D, has a great shot ,can really rush with the puck, passes real  well to start the play up ice, really quaterbacked the power play and loves to take the body! He's got great size(6'3" 205lbs.) and was named the best defenseman in the World's under 18 Tournament  earlier this season. It got me thinking about  if the Bruins really wanted to put some long term talent out there on the ice, that they might want to think about moving Zedeno Chara as he is in his option year (and quite frankly has slowed down some)There's a real doubt that they'll want to give him what he'll want long term at almost 34 yrs old. Move him and somehow work a deal for the third pick and now you have a real interesting collection of talent! Either Hall or Seguin depending on who the Oilers pick and Fowler. Plus you pay for them with Chara's salary. I know we really need a forward for some offense but we once upon a time drafted a guy named Ray Bourque and signed a kid named Orr. Boston is home to some of the best defenseman in N.H.L. history. We've got the draft choices to make it happen. Been a long time since the Bruins made a big splash in a good way in the off season!  If you can ,check this kid out . Tell me what you think.
    Posted by hayley-1999

Everyone knows about Cam Fowler, he's ranked 3rd in the mock drafts, and has been all year.

As far as the Bruins drafting him, forget it.

Bruins were 28th out of 30 teams in goals scored. They were 2nd out of 30 in goals given up. And they still had a terrible season and barely scraped into the playoffs.

Exactly WHY would we pass up a fantastic goal scorer and instead get another D-man?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TomOBrien. Show TomOBrien's posts

IMO, If possible, you build teams starting in goal and defense and then up the middle...what do we need? You can't draft based exclusiely upon need, but you might see some evidence of team needs in the early part of the draft...then gaps are filled duirng free agency....then ita all blows up in our faces...If I was so smart I'd be working for the NHL.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

Uh, is the point of this thread that someone just discovered Cam Fowler?  Hello, everyone on the hockey planet knows who he is.

And whoever said Fowler had a long was to go to be Orr, let alone Bourque, you have it backwards.  He has a loooong way to go to be close to Bourque, let alone the best there ever was, who was Orr.

And, what this about what we would get for Chara?  Probably nothing.  Who is going to take the contract of a $7M player on a rental, and give up something significant besides?  Same reason we cant trade junk like Thomas, Ryder, Wideman and Ference for anything.

And someone else is talking about trading Krejci?  Excuse me?  With Krejci - Bruins up 3-0.  Bruins without Krejci - 4 straight losses including a blown 3-0 lead in a Game 7 at home.  Are you insane?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

Awry, I agree, why would Chiarelli want to trade a like player whose down tick is questionable beyond what the Bruins have on their team?  The Julien loyalty to past Montreal players is now history with the recent play of the likes of Ryder and Begin.  Time to move onward.  Julien needs to have more of view ahead.  His defensive scheme is fine, his offensive scheme is a matter of modification by those like Neely.

After reading the THN draft rankings, I am convinced Chiarelli will find a few players to make the transition to the NHL beyond the first three obvious picks. Trading up is highly unlikely due to the cap situation, the Bruins cannot take on salary.  I think Chiarelli will take the long view. His position was stated really clearly in the post season breakup, the Bruins are going for the youth. By comparison, Chicago was built on high draft picks resultant of poor seasonal play, but that team has had the right course of action by building with picks.  The Bruins are about to do the same while competing in the playoffs each year.  
    Of Wideman, Ryder or Thomas, I foresee Wideman moving of those three.  Trades ideally would be made but are highly unlikely.  Trading to get into a draft position will be a commitment to next year only!  Chiarelli could shock us all an be very aggressive.  Based on his past decision making, I think it highly unlikely.  

Some of the commentary in these spaces is very interesting.  Mcllrath for instance is a real intriguing player for the Bruins #1 pick.  

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from davecarr. Show davecarr's posts

Why all the threads that suggest trading away the B's best players?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from hayley-1999. Show hayley-1999's posts

To Summarize I would trade Chara, draft either Seguin or Hall with the second pick and trade up to draft Fowler . You would solve the cap situation of signing these two future stars by using the salary savings by trading Chara. It is my understanding that this is a much deeper draft than next year so that also figured into my thinking. Thanks folks

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from davecarr. Show davecarr's posts

Why on earth trade Chara?! 

Last year - Norris trophy winner.
    This year - played most of year with a separated finger. Because of that you'd trade him because he's "slowed down some"?

No thanks.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

People do not appreciate a good thing (Chara) until it's gone. There are many reasons why the B's GAA has been really good the last two years . Isn't Chara one of the main reason's behind that ?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from bruins8. Show bruins8's posts

if the bruins lose chara unless they get a real good dman in return they will be hurting..this guy plays hurt, plays 30 min a game, basically all 2 min of the pk, has offense side and norris trophy def side...hes a monster a gamer you dont let go of players like chara if you are serious about winning a cup

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from sgmlrm3706. Show sgmlrm3706's posts

chara is part of the solution, not the problem. Also Toronto was 13-13 in their last 26 games so don't bet on them being bad again. Their 1st rounder next year is a huge chip today but maybe not for long plus the only way to move up and grab another top 20 player will be to trade someone we don't want to. I am pretty sure that we are not the only ones who know that wheeler and ryder have little to offer. I'd take a puck moving defensemen anyday as we currently don't have one

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ddd112273. Show ddd112273's posts

If you want to think about the future you do not blow up today. Keep the core intact, do not move you top D sign Dennis. 4 picks in the first 2 rounds is amazing and to have that next year is awesome. Build the team with the draft and I know that in a few years there wil be a dynasty in Boston.