NJ Devils sign Kovalchuk - who do they move?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mamico3308. Show mamico3308's posts

NJ Devils sign Kovalchuk - who do they move?

According to TSN 7 years, $60 Million (8.57 Cap hit).  Per Cap Geek NJD has about $4.7M cap space BEFORE the signing, with 18 players on the roster.  Curious to see who they move to get under the cap.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Re: NJ Devils sign Kovalchuk - who do they move?

According to TSN:  The New York Post is reporting that the unrestricted free agent, who played the final 27 games of last season with the Devils, is going to sign a seven-year, $60 million contract with the team soon.

According to his agent last night:  Ilya Kovalchuk choices have been narrowed down, details to be finalized but no announcement tonight....

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from No4BobbyOrr-GOAT. Show No4BobbyOrr-GOAT's posts

Zajac 3.9M(for3 Years) and Parise 3.1M(Rfa after this year) to Bos for Ryder 4M

and NAS says to throw in Hamill.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mamico3308. Show mamico3308's posts

Heh just realized the IF is missing in the title.  Kinda changes things.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from No4BobbyOrr-GOAT. Show No4BobbyOrr-GOAT's posts

They are in tight, they are going to be in Chi mode with their dumping

Elias 6M for 3 years good luck.

Rolston 5M(for 20 Goals) 2 years 37 and declining

Arnott 4.5M 1 year 35 possible to unchallenged cap team looking for a vet

Zajac 3.9M 3 years-best possible value but was only just signed

no one wants Zubrus for 3 more years @3.4(Wheeler has outproduced this contract)

Parise is at 3.1 but they will not be able to afford him since he has averaged 36.5goals thru this contract and the salary is 5M this year and going to go up and he is only 25.

Wagonburner 2.8M 1 year a possibility

Clarkson 2.7M 3 years just signed a possibility

White 3M 2 years a possibility

Salvador 2.9M 2 years a possibilty

Brodeur 5.2M 2 years not a chance(GM suicide in NJ)

The Kov deal makes them better then worse because they are going to lose some talent, unless Mon takes Elias off their hands.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mamico3308. Show mamico3308's posts

The big difference being that at least Chicago won a championship before they had to dump contracts.  I'm not sure that the deal would make the team better, chances are they would have to move some productive players to get under the cap.  Which is fine with me, they've annoyed me since the Mother's Day walk-out.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from JWensink. Show JWensink's posts

Get Salvador if he's available !

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

I would think Elias to a team with cap room needing some veteran leadership and centers might be a possibility... I mean could edmonton or toronto use a guy like that, I think so...

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from beantowngm15. Show beantowngm15's posts

Zubrus and Rolston would probably go.  Arnott, maybe, even though they just got him.  No way they can move Elias.  His contract and the fan base may revolt as he's been the face of the franchise for years,

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

In Response to Re: NJ Devils sign Kovalchuk - who do they move?:
    Zajac 3.9M(for3 Years) and Parise 3.1M(Rfa after this year) to Bos for Ryder 4M and NAS says to throw in Hamill.
    Posted by No4BobbyOrr-GOAT

Is the assumption that Ryder gets bought out after the trade?   

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Elias or Arnott would be my guesses to move. NYI isn't even at the cap floor yet. Minnesota tried to get Bergeron from PC so the Wild could be a destination. I could see Atlanta jumping in they need some leadership and scoring amongst other things Dudley needs to make a splash.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

They just signed Arnott to put a big body in front of the net.  I'd be surprised if they moved him.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BruWingFan. Show BruWingFan's posts

Teams that have a lot of cap room salivate over situations like this. Lamoriello has to dump salary and he can't be too picky. Likely prospects/picks in return for a player who, in another situation, would get a much higher return.

However, Lou does have a history of being pretty creative when it comes to fitting players under the cap so this could get interesting.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostondynNASTY. Show bostondynNASTY's posts

Looks like TSN was wrong.  Word is this deal is not done and LA is once again the favorite in the bidding for kovy

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from MassVt. Show MassVt's posts

I suspect that they would like to unload Rolston, especially at 5M; Salvador, Zubrus are are also possibilties, although Zubrus adds size and strength to a relatively small team;

Elias will eventually retire as a lifelong Devil, but he still has some good hockey in him ( still only 34)...

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bruinfaninnewjersey. Show Bruinfaninnewjersey's posts

I haven't been following this... but I have lived in NJ for 4 years now and Parise is a super-stud! I would love to see him in Boston!!!