Oilers media wants Seguin

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from NEWENGLANDSPORTSNERD. Show NEWENGLANDSPORTSNERD's posts

Oilers media wants Seguin

Interesting.................

http://www.nesn.com/2010/05/edmonton-media-thinking-oilers-may-select-tyler-seguin-with-no-1-pick.html

Do you believe this guys? Or do you think that the Oils should know better?

(obviously if Oils think the same, Hall is as good as a Bruin)

what do you guys think?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from duinne. Show duinne's posts

Re: Oilers media wants Seguin

Well, the media aren't running the team, so it really doesn't matter what they think, does it?

That said, Chiarelli has noted that there is disagreement among the Bruins F.O. about whom they prefer, so it stands to reason that there would be similar discussion amongst the Oilers administration. Heck, there is no consensus anywhere that I can see -  fans, scouts, media, whomever. I'm surprised the prime minister of Canada hasn't weighed in. ;-)

Really, it's difficult to go wrong here. They can both play anywhere on the forward line (which takes out the position argument), they're both mature kids (which takes away the "he's talented but he's a jerk" argument), and they've both demonstrated willingness to work hard (which takes out the "he's talented but lazy" argument).

From what I've read/seen, if I were the Oilers, I think I'd lean toward Seguin, only because it appears he projects as a more "complete" player down the line, somebody you'd build your team around. Hall may be the more exciting choice, though, and it's possible that they choose him to jazz up their fan base. It all depends how their heirarchy thinks, I suppose.

I'm just ecstatic that the Bruins ended up with the second choice. They are in a fantastic position, especially since either Hall or Seguin will join a good team as a complementary piece, not someone who's expected to carry the franchise on  his back.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

In Response to Re: Oilers media wants Seguin:
    Well, the media aren't running the team, so it really doesn't matter what they think, does it? That said, Chiarelli has noted that there is disagreement among the Bruins F.O. about whom they prefer, so it stands to reason that there would be similar discussion amongst the Oilers administration. Heck, there is no consensus anywhere that I can see -  fans, scouts, media, whomever. I'm surprised the prime minister of Canada hasn't weighed in. ;-) Really, it's difficult to go wrong here. They can both play anywhere on the forward line (which takes out the position argument), they're both mature kids (which takes away the "he's talented but he's a jerk" argument), and they've both demonstrated willingness to work hard (which takes out the "he's talented but lazy" argument). From what I've read/seen, if I were the Oilers, I think I'd lean toward Seguin, only because it appears he projects as a more "complete" player down the line, somebody you'd build your team around. Hall may be the more exciting choice, though, and it's possible that they choose him to jazz up their fan base. It all depends how their heirarchy thinks, I suppose. I'm just ecstatic that the Bruins ended up with the second choice. They are in a fantastic position, especially since either Hall or Seguin will join a good team as a complementary piece, not someone who's expected to carry the franchise on  his back.
    Posted by duinne

I agree with everything you say but the " (which takes out the position argument) ".  Steadfastly incorrect.  Some players are better at the center position.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from duinne. Show duinne's posts

In Response to Re: Oilers media wants Seguin : I agree with everything you say but the "  (which takes out the position argument) ".  Steadfastly incorrect.  Some players are better at the center position.
    Posted by islamorada

I've already posted about this so I won't bother looking it up again, but if you do a Google search, you will find myriad comments from Peter Chiarelli emphasizing the fact that Seguin and Hall both play all three forward positions. Actually saw one the other day from Hall's junior coach, saying Hall is a natural center whom  they put on the wing. 

It's pretty obvious Chiarelli is telling the fans that the Bruins will put whomever they draft - be it Hall or Seguin - on the wing. They are extremely deep at center, so it makes sense. Playing Seguin or Hall on the wing isn't going to hurt them.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

Duinne I did read your source over and over again.  I replied in that post that a player who can play both wings and is skilled probably should be a center. Furthermore I stated that Chiarelli quoted Seguin was like LaFontaine and Stamkos... now look at what positions they play.  Do you think maybe Chiarelli is guising his desire to have Hall as a pick by saying those remarks considering he mentioned two centers by comparison in that speech.  Oh well, I will continue to read your comments as they are usually insightful.  

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from duinne. Show duinne's posts

Duinne I did read your source over and over again.  I replied in that post that a player who can play both wings and is skilled probably should be a center. Furthermore I stated that Chiarelli quoted Seguin was like LaFontaine and Stamkos... now look at what positions they play.  Do you think maybe Chiarelli is guising his desire to have Hall as a pick by saying those remarks considering he mentioned two centers by comparison in that speech.  Oh well, I will continue to read your comments as they are usually insightful.      
    Posted by islamorada

I just think he was making a player style comparison, regardless of position.

Just look at it logically - the Bruins are stacked at center, with three of the best in the game in Savard, Bergeron and Krejci. Trading any of those three would be counterproductive; why handicap your team by ridding it of a standout player?  Their direst need is someone who can play alongside one of those guys and put the puck in the net. Both Hall and Seguin fill that bill.

And thank you.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from bim09. Show bim09's posts

In Response to Oilers media wants Seguin:
    Do you believe this guys? Or do you think that the Oils should know better? (obviously if Oils think the same, Hall is as good as a Bruin) what do you guys think?
    Posted by NEWENGLANDSPORTSNERD

I'm not surprised.  They know Edmonton needs an elite, franchise centerman with dynamic skills and Seguin is that player.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from joeschmo25. Show joeschmo25's posts

While the media isn't the team, certain teams make decisions based on what they think the fans want (cough Montreal cough). That being said, it's a terrible way to run a professional sports team. It may sell tickets for a short while, but unless it's the solution to a competitive, winning team then it will only be a fading fad, a stop gap until the next "solution".

Edmonton knows what it needs, and knows what it wants.
    Edmonton wants Hall because of his dynamic, in your face style of play and set of skills. They love his winning pedigree and his game in clutch situations.
    Edmonton needs Seguin because of his ability to play center, something Hall is believed to be able to do, but it's not his natural position. Seguin is a natural center who can be a great playmaker and a just as capable goal scorer. 

I think the Stamkos comparisons are the most accurate, and the most enticing. If the decision came down to Parise vs Stamkos (Hall's comparison to Seguin's), I'd rather have Stamkos. Parise is a great goal scorer with dynamic skating, but he's not the leader in New Jersey. Stamkos will be the leader in Tampa Bay for years to come. It's not Lecavalier's team anymore, but it's not quite Stamkos' either.

I think Steve Tambellini is a more competent GM, meaning they'll take Seguin. He knows we want Hall, and he knows Hall wants to come here more than he wants Edmonton (at least it's how it seems in regard to public knowledge). He only gave us the option of trading up because he wanted to fleece us of some future picks or good prospects because he's doing his due dilligence as a GM, too bad Chiarelli knows better. 

This draft is so even at the top two that it honestly doesn't matter who we take, we're going to be quite happy about the decision in 2-3 years, maybe after the 1st year (if we're lucky).

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from RMiller87. Show RMiller87's posts

Please remind me, my fellow Bruin fans...

Since Seguin is ranked #1 by NHL Central Scouting, why do "we" want Hall again ?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from joeschmo25. Show joeschmo25's posts

A lot of people like him for his goal scoring ability, his natural talent at the wing position (because of our surplus of talented centers),his ability to excite the crowd and his willingness to give up his body to make a play.

Personally, I'm happy with either Hall or Seguin. It'd be good to get a great left handed shot like Hall, but Kessel is also an example of how a talented right handed shot ain't too shabby either.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from RMiller87. Show RMiller87's posts

This year's draft really works out well for the Bruins because Seguin and Hall are both so close in terms of talent analysis...

There is no real downside to choosing either of these players...

The more interesting pick will be in 2011 if the Bruins end up with another top five draftpick courtesy of the Kessel trade as I suspect that they might...

In that scenario, it will interesting to see if the Bs lean towards a forward like Sean Couturier or a defenseman like Adam Larsson ?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from duinne. Show duinne's posts

A lot of people like him for his goal scoring ability, his natural talent at the wing position (because of our surplus of talented centers),his ability to excite the crowd and his willingness to give up his body to make a play. Personally, I'm happy with either Hall or Seguin. It'd be good to get a great left handed shot like Hall, but Kessel is also an example of how a talented right handed shot ain't too shabby either.
    Posted by joeschmo25

Just fyi...

“Taylor is a centre naturally, he’s playing left wing on our team but he’ll take some draws once in a while and he’s good on draws,” said Boughner. “I don’t doubt that if he goes to the next level and they need a centre, he could play centre as well. He’s pretty strong on the puck.

“The reason I put him on the wing is to conserve his energy and expose other teams wide because he has that speed.”

http://www.torontosun.com/sports/hockey/2010/05/17/13982461.html

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Please remind me, my fellow Bruin fans... Since Seguin is ranked #1 by NHL Central Scouting, why do "we" want Hall again ?
    Posted by RMiller87

You've already sort of answered your own question - they're just so close, it's hard not to get drawn into the hype around Hall because he's had more exposure and plays a flashier game.  Around the time the final CSS list came out, I saw EJ interviewed and he said (I'm paraphrasing) that Seguin came out first in that particular vote, but if they'd done it again two hours later, Hall could easily have been #1.  They've been back and forth there as much as the rest of us.

I'd prefer Hall, but I'll be disappointed for all of a second if the Oilers take him.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Stuke50. Show Stuke50's posts

Jim Matteson of the Edmonton Journal newspaper has stated in one of his articles that he's polled the Oiler's scouts and coaches and it was a 6-4 vote in favour of the Oily's taking Hall. Matteson ( who by the way is in the Hockey hall for his hockey journalism ), favours Seguin.

I don't care myself. They both are blue chippers. This is one case where sloppy seconds is really really good !

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011. Show StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011's posts

I would take Seguin

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from TylerSeguin. Show TylerSeguin's posts

Well I wanted to play for the BRUINS but I guess I will have to pack my luggages for Edmonton

Ok ....see you guys and Good luck with Taylor

Tyler Seguin

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from perrysound. Show perrysound's posts

RMiller87, where have you been?. We don't see you on the G&M anymore. Have they baned you, or just getting ignored.

Your question, "If Seguin os Rated #1, why do we want Hall?" Hhummmm, maybe because he scores a lot of goals, and has reapedly shown to be a clutch player in the big tourneys. 2 Mem Cup MVPS. World Junior Gold, Scoring titles... what else do you really need to know.

Seguin might be good, and probably is, but when what you need is right in front of you, then why not.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from teibore1. Show teibore1's posts

My guess is Edmonton takes Hall because he is a more physically gifted player and can play both wing and center.  From what I have read he takes a lot of hits and tends to skate off the ice gingerly.  This could be a problem once he's facing bigger, stronger players every night.  The best part of all of this is Chia can't mess it up unless he trades out of #2.  The more interesting question is what does he do with their other 1st round pick?  Package it with a veteran (Wides, Ryder or Wheeler) and try to move up into the top 10?  Great opportunity to dump some underperforming salary even if they only move up a handful of spots.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from RMiller87. Show RMiller87's posts

perrysound :

Only morons post on the G&M hockey threads...

These Boston Globe hockey threads are way better...

On the the other hand, Seguin and Hall are equal in terms of talent analysis...

As I said earlier, Bruin fans won't be disappointed with either of these guys...

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from RMiller87. Show RMiller87's posts

perrysound :

By the way, that above post excludes my Left Bookend Bluenoser brother, Hap1...

That guy knows his hockey probably because he was a BIG Bruins' fan before he left for the Left Coast...

Many of the G&M regulars actually seem to believe that the Leafs and Habs are Stanley Cup contenders by the way that they speak...

Dumb as nails - some of them...

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

I would take Seguin
    Posted by StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011

Stanley , is this the official word from the Bruins ? Your interview was a couple of days ago. Did you get the job or any photos with PC  and CJ ?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from perrysound. Show perrysound's posts

Silver this year, Gold the previous year. Also, Seguin was left off Junior Team Canada. Why???? The "Best" Junior player available, and they don't take him.

It appears either is good, but I'd take Hall first. I also thought Daigle was going to be good too, so what do I know.

Have a Great Weekend, and enjoy what is surely to be a classic Stanley Cup Final.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from perrysound. Show perrysound's posts

Miller, this is Bruin4 on the G&M.
    I agree. If you aren't talking habs or leafs, they don't have a clue.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from TylerSeguin. Show TylerSeguin's posts

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

I just dont want to go to Edmonton ....

Tyler Seguin

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011. Show StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011's posts

Chowdahkid-

Job onterview went fine they are thinking about it ....

BRUINS wont have the choice ....Oilers will decide who we get ....

My feeling is Oilers will pick Seguin ....I would have loved Seguin in Boston ...lets see what Taylor can bring to the team ....I know Seguin did much better than Hall today