PC slammed by Muir on SI.com

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from OlsonicCreations. Show OlsonicCreations's posts

PC slammed by Muir on SI.com

pretty much a smack down.. I have a hard time refuting this way of looking @ PC

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Re: PC slammed by Muir on SI.com

Good article, OC.  I agree with some of what the author says.  I am not sure, however, how much he really knows about the B's.  To things stand out:

1.  He suggests that they might have to include Hamill to make a deal happen.

2.  He suggests that Colborne is pushing for a spot in the NHL.

My guess is that he looked at the draft position of these players and simply guessed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from No4BobbyOrr-GOAT. Show No4BobbyOrr-GOAT's posts

The only thing is Bowman is dumping his cup and not making his team stronger, he inherited the cup but will face a tougher challenge to get there next year, he hasn't done anything for the good, will have to see what his replacements do before handing him a cigar, anyone can dump.

Oh yeah, that dump thing about anyone can do it, forget about it.(Sturm, Ryder, Sav, TT etc)

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from OlsonicCreations. Show OlsonicCreations's posts

Oh for sure, Muir def appears to be guessing with Hamil and Colborne, but he does represent an objective opinion: from the outside looking in, P.C.'s problems have been created by P.C., and he needs to be held accountable if his mis-management leads to a loss of a young asset.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from MeanE. Show MeanE's posts

Too soon for anyone to say that the B's need to trade Bergeron, Krejci, or Stuart.  PC can spend up to $65.3 until the season starts.  He has options of burying the likes of Ryder in Providence, Sturm's LTIR, other trades, etc...  As we have seen, GM's have to over spend to sign free agents(see Ryder).  The only contract that baffles me is Ference's.  Not sure why PC is so in love with this guy.  In regards to the cap fine, does anyone know if Seidenberg is part of it, as I know that the contract that he signed with Florida had a large bonus attached to it. The jury is still out on whether or not Chicago made the right moves.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

For what it's worth - ever think the reason Burke paid an arm and a leg for Kessel is that there was no alternative out there to get?  And if that lack drove up the price for Kessel, how was PC going to magically replace Kessel?

I've read most of Muir's SI.com columns and I have a sneakin suspiscion that he's a closet Bruins fan.  He's higher than he should be on the good, harder than he might be on the bad.  And the biggest difference between the Bruin situation and the Hawk situation?  They aren't forced to make a move to clear space.  Chicago had no choice.  Loooong way to go before camp opens.  PC has his Alfred E. Neuman face on.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

Cactus,
    going by much of Muir comments, I would argue PC identified his core of players, and kessel wasnt on it.. And while you can argue he didnt replace kessel's goals, I have no problem with his theory that a healthy bergeron, an improved lucic, wheeler and krejci, and a healthy sturm could have replaced 35 goals.  The entire team under acheived, kessel hasn't proven to show up when it counts at this point so not sure why kind of a difference he would have made..

They are on record saying they underestimated the effects some of the off season moves would have (I think that is more directed at the move to let ward part then anything).  Kessel's contract out wieghs what is being offere to ryan at this point, and he is certainly not as good of a player, think we have cap problems now add another 5.25 mill to the mix and let me know how we look... 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mxx. Show mxx's posts

Muir's article is about GM experience and cap management. It's not about the Kessel for picks deal.

Muir's point seems to be that Chia has made a few mistakes with contracts and managing the cap and it may cost the Bs some good assets to fix.

Who the heck can argue with the fact that Chia has created his cap problems and he now finds the Bs stuck in a tough spot?

He did make some seriously questionably deals, some very recently and now he trying to trade some of those same players---- NO WAIT, he gave them NTCs.

I can see Chia sitting alone in his office and slapping his forehead with his open hand yelling "what was I thinking with that deal"! 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from pauly1. Show pauly1's posts

In Response to Re: PC slammed by Muir on SI.com:
    PC should be slammed..he is getting a TON of credit for lucking out on getting Seguin.. The fact is , he hung the Bruins out to dry all last year by never replacing Kessel's scoring ..he had all year to do it but failed! I personally think he is solely a REACTIVE type of GM, not an ounce of creativity in his brain. DUMP HIM!
    Posted by cactusTony
    Would you prefer to go back a few years and call that our team today?
    I guess adding seguin this year and 4 picks in the first 2 rounds next year mean nothing to you.
    DO THE MATH  It's only doom and gloom if you want it to be.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

I doubt it.  I think he's convinced he's smart enough to stickhandle out of any cap difficulties.  Did it last year by dealing an underperforming Kobasew and getting value. 

The salary cap thing is still pretty new in the NHL.  There's still hay to be made by a guy who takes the risk to think outside of the box.  People here have called Chiarelli reactive and questioned his foresight because he hasn't gone with conventional wisdom.  To which I'd like to ask...huh???  Again, looooong way to September and rookie camp.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

Muir's article is about GM experience and cap management. It's not about the Kessel for picks deal. Muir's point seems to be that Chia has made a few mistakes with contracts and managing the cap and it may cost the Bs some good assets to fix. Who the heck can argue with the fact that Chia has created his cap problems and he now finds the Bs stuck in a tough spot? He did make some seriously questionably deals, some very recently and now he trying to trade some of those same players---- NO WAIT, he gave them NTCs.   I can see Chia sitting alone in his office and slapping his forehead with his open hand yelling "what was I thinking with that deal"! 
    Posted by mxx

Assuming that this was directed at my comment, which was in turn directed at someone elses.. This article is not about the fact that PC created his own issues, its about how chicago is addressing the issues they have, and what they are doing to clean it up, and states that "us fans" hope PC is paying attention. The article is not devoted to PC having created the issue, thats a 2 line bullet to provide a bit of a couter point in the similarities.

The focus of the article is paying attention regards to identifying the core players on the team, and making the cuts where he needs to, point to byfuglien etc.. PC similarly may need to shed players and this will be more difficult for him as these are his guys, not players he inherited, (thus the main reason to bring up the point that PC created the mess)so he will feel more loyalty to these guys..

This is where my counterpoint was to the previous post about kessel, clearly if your a bruins fan you understand PC indentified his core last summer with krejci and lucic being extended and kessel being allowed to walk, pretty clear message..

I also don't view this article as much of a rip on PC as some have stated, its a filler peice..The bruins are similar to the blackhawks in cap crunch? This isn't really even a realistic statement the black hawks have shed 5-6 guys already and still have more to move..You think bowman wanted to move Byfuglien??.. Except that cap crunch in chicago got that team to a cup, thats what Bowman inherited, you get a lot more freedom to move players around after you win a cup.. You show me a team with tons of cap space and I will show you a team that isn't in position to contend...

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from bim09. Show bim09's posts

Well put.  And its piece, not peice.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BeantownBDH. Show BeantownBDH's posts

No doubt. The bottom line says it all, and it's still not September. Dudes need to stop ripping or go to the Leaf board and cry there. At least the Bruins make the playoffs. The only good thing about Sports Illustrated.....

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/4160660/brooklyn_decker_sports_illustrated_swimsuit_2010/

I'll say no more.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

In Response to Re: PC slammed by Muir on SI.com : Assuming that this was directed at my comment, which was in turn directed at someone elses.. This article is not about the fact that PC created his own issues, its about how chicago is addressing the issues they have, and what they are doing to clean it up, and states that "us fans" hope PC is paying attention. The article is not devoted to PC having created the issue, thats a 2 line bullet to provide a bit of a couter point in the similarities. The focus of the article is paying attention regards to identifying the core players on the team, and making the cuts where he needs to, point to byfuglien etc.. PC similarly may need to shed players and this will be more difficult for him as these are his guys, not players he inherited, (thus the main reason to bring up the point that PC created the mess)so he will feel more loyalty to these guys.. This is where my counterpoint was to the previous post about kessel, clearly if your a bruins fan you understand PC indentified his core last summer with krejci and lucic being extended and kessel being allowed to walk, pretty clear message.. I also don't view this article as much of a rip on PC as some have stated, its a filler peice..The bruins are similar to the blackhawks in cap crunch? This isn't really even a realistic statement the black hawks have shed 5-6 guys already and still have more to move..You think bowman wanted to move Byfuglien??.. Except that cap crunch in chicago got that team to a cup, thats what Bowman inherited, you get a lot more freedom to move players around after you win a cup.. You show me a team with tons of cap space and I will show you a team that isn't in position to contend...
    Posted by rolerhoky19

Well said Rolerhcky19, BeantownBDH sums up the hockey world of SI with his last post.   

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

I wouldn't say "slammed by Muir" but he does have a point and what I took is PC needs to be better with the cap than he has been. At the time he extended Sturm and signed Ryder I don't think any GM could have predicted that the cap would flatten or inch up approx 2Mil a year since. Unfortunately Sturm and Ryder's contracts haven't run out fasten enough for Pete's sake.

The tough thing about doing a great job of accumulating allot of real high potential picks TOs 1st 2011, Bs 1st 2011, Wild's 2nd 2011 and your own 2nd in 2011 is everytime you shop a player the the GM on the other end is saying "Yah that player might help me but what about some of those picks you have..."

PC has got some work to do before camp breaks to make sure he is in compliance of the cap. I say the Bruins own 2nd rounder in 2011 will have to go with any player he try's to shop and that is why Peter hasn't pulled a trigger yet. Chiarelli is a little lucky that Sturm LTIR gives him a little room or he'd be really screwed.

PS. I would like to be a fly on the wall if PC was on the carpet asking JJ to eat Ryder's contract I mean the laughter down the halls of Delaware North...

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid. Show Chowdahkid's posts

At least the Bruins make the playoffs.
    Posted by BeantownBDH

Spoken like a true Bruins fan.

Music to Jeremys ears.

At least we made the playoffs, It's Called Bruins!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ritwalljones. Show ritwalljones's posts

Sports Illustrated is a joke where hockey coverage is concerned.  They have no roots in the sport, they have spotty presence at regular season games, and most of what they write about it is fluff that is based on articles that other writers write.  Muir is a wannabe - good reporters get the inside goods on team operations - this clown knows jack sh$t about hockey operations.
    Posted by Drewinab

Oh please, what a crybaby homer you are! If that was a glowing piece on Chiarelli I bet you would say how wicked awsome Muir is.

Another head in the sand fan who only wants to live in the land of rainbows and gumdrops when it comes to his Bruins.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BeantownBDH. Show BeantownBDH's posts

@Chowdahkid

OOOOOUUUCCCHHHHH. Yeah, I hear yaMoney mouth, and I know what point your making. Story of my life. Dam. Still, with how things are in Boston, much better than TO. I want Scotty Bowman. Yell

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BruWingFan. Show BruWingFan's posts

Yeah, It's real tough for Bowman to ask daddy for info. If you think Scotty Bowman didn't have his hands on every one of those moves you're naive.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from jalvis. Show jalvis's posts

Book's right.  It's not September yet.  Wait to see the finished product.  Then come to the conclusion of whether PC built a good team or not.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from No4BobbyOrr-GOAT. Show No4BobbyOrr-GOAT's posts

NYI- Yashin about 18 M eaten up.
    Ana-Oystrick 400k
    Cal-Dawes 280K
    Car-Brind'Amour 3.6M???, Kaberle 733K
    Col-Preissing 2M
    CBJ-Westcott 1.2M
    Dal-Waivers-Avery 4M
    Det Bonus Penalty 50K
    Edm-Nilsson 400K
    Flo-McLean 566K, Loistinen 730K
    LA- McCauley 666K
    Min-Parrish 4M
    Mon- Laroque 1M
    NJ-Peters 330K, Pandolfo 1.66M
    Ott- Cheechoo 1.8M, Alffy 1.4M????, Emery 1.12M
    Pho-O'Sullivan 1.3M, Nokelainen 316K, Scatchard 700K
    Stl-McKee 1.3M
    TB-Prospal 5.83, Fedoruk 685K
    TO-Tucker 4M

Boston-Eaves 470K, Schaefer 766K

2 out of 3 teams use the buyouts.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonguy67. Show bostonguy67's posts

It's one thing to have Cap issues when you have won the Cup...it's another thing when you haven't won one in nearly two generations.  No worries, the Harvard "genius" will sort it all out.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

You're right - how is it possible that this PC guy has been on the job for nearly two generations of failure without getting fired?!?!

The idiot I hate more is the moron who draws the lottery numbers.  That dork hasn't gotten it right once in my entire life!

As GOAT points out, eating dead money to manage your cap situation is pretty much SOP.  Add burying contracts to that list, too.  NJ buried Dan McGillis and his $3.5M right out of the lockout and he hasn't been seen since.  The Sharks buried Kyle McLaren.  (Incidentally, noticing a trend here?)

I know some people hate the cross-sport comparison, but what the Blackhawks just did was "Go Marlin".  They spent like sailors on shore leave - if those sailors just won the lottery and then found out they had a week to live.  They knew they'd be doomed this year, so they blew the doors off of their cap situation and made a run.  They'd be dismantling everything this year even if they'd continued to struggle against Nashville.  And then they'd continue to work on the longest Cup drought going without a number of good, young assets.

Going Marlin is a b-lls out strategy that works in capped sports as well as in baseball.  You borrow against the future to win now.  It's the new generation of "draft schmaft" only, instead of trading draft picks for stars, you re-profile cap money from the future to the present in order to stack up as much talent as possible.  I wouldn't be surprised to see the Bruins do that in a year or two when Rask's extension is ending, Krejci's current deal is ending, and several of the guys who are featured in today's Dev. Camp article are looking at the last year of their EL deals.  If all of those players are developing as you'd expect, that's something like a $12-$14M increase in your salaries just to keep the same players.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

Or this year bookboy, because Bergeron and Chara are in the last years of their deals.