PHILL THE THRILL, NOT SO MUCH!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from brunod. Show brunod's posts

PHILL THE THRILL, NOT SO MUCH!

I am a Bruin fan living in Calgary. This morning in the Sun a newspaper in Calgary I read that Kessel and PC are not even close on his contract. PC wants to give Phill, Krecji type money at 3.5 million but Kessel wants 5 million per year. I went on to read that if PC cannot get Kessel down to an affordable price, he will have to trade him. There goes the hometown discount and Phill may have to thrill some place else. I hope not.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid. Show Chowdahkid's posts

Re: PHILL THE THRILL, NOT SO MUCH!

[QUOTE]I am a Bruin fan living in Calgary. This morning in the Sun a newspaper in Calgary I read that Kessel and PC are not even close on his contract. PC wants to give Phill, Krecji type money at 3.5 million but Kessel wants 5 million per year. I went on to read that if PC cannot get Kessel down to an affordable price, he will have to trade him. There goes the hometown discount and Phill may have to thrill some place else. I hope not.
    Posted by brunod[/QUOTE]

They would have to sign him to a contract to trade him first

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from CarolinaClamMan. Show CarolinaClamMan's posts

So, if they don't sign him he's a holdout and offer sheets can come in after July 1.  If he goes that way we get, what, four first round picks?  Not bad. 

If the story is true, it leaves us fans with a bad feeling about Phil....Phil the Pill?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from redbullettrain. Show redbullettrain's posts

[QUOTE]So, if they don't sign him he's a holdout and offer sheets can come in after July 1.  If he goes that way we get, what, four first round picks?  Not bad.  If the story is true, it leaves us fans with a bad feeling about Phil....Phil the Pill?
    Posted by CarolinaClamMan[/QUOTE]

Yeah or Phill acting like any other athlete would in a multi billion dollar buisness?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from pauly1. Show pauly1's posts

[QUOTE]They would have to sign him to a contract to trade him first
    Posted by Chowdahkid[/QUOTE]  He's restricted.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid. Show Chowdahkid's posts

[QUOTE]  He's restricted.
    Posted by pauly1[/QUOTE]

No kidding... Ever hear of a sign and trade?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from pauly1. Show pauly1's posts

[QUOTE]No kidding... Ever hear of a sign and trade?
    Posted by Chowdahkid[/QUOTE] You just don't get it do ya.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BleacherReport. Show BleacherReport's posts

The Bruins can't trade Kessel unless he is signed to a deal first. Not that hard to figure out

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Orrthebest. Show Orrthebest's posts

[QUOTE]The Bruins can't trade Kessel unless he is signed to a deal first. Not that hard to figure out
    Posted by BleacherReport[/QUOTE]

But your wrong the Bruins own Kessel's rights because he is a RFA and can trade his rights at any time unless a team sign him to an offer sheet.  Other teams can not sign him to an offer sheet until July 1, so we are free to trade him until then.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BleacherReport. Show BleacherReport's posts

[QUOTE]But your wrong the Bruins own Kessel's rights because he is a RFA and can trade his rights at any time unless a team sign him to an offer sheet.  Other teams can not sign him to an offer sheet until July 1, so we are free to trade him until then.
    Posted by Orrthebest[/QUOTE]

RFA meaning he has to agree to a deal first, you cant just trade him without having a signed contract in place... hence the sign and trade

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_3351142. Show user_3351142's posts

Your wrong..B's own his rights as an RFA unless a team signs him to offer sheet in which the b's can comeback to match..do not need to re sign him to trade him

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ocram. Show ocram's posts

Kessel will resign with the Bruins, Chiarelli has gone on record already with saying that he will match any offer sheet. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from pauly1. Show pauly1's posts

Thanks hock and orr. At least three of us know.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BruinsCountry. Show BruinsCountry's posts

The one who knows is Ocram, who accurately wrote:  "Kessel will resign with the Bruins, Chiarelli has gone on record already with saying that he will match any offer sheet." 

When Chiarelli matches the offer sheet, Bruins will be in a position to get more for Kessel than if he were to walk for picks.  B's have too much invested in Kessel and too many current needs to be put in a position where they have to wait for draft picks to develop to help the current B's club.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from joeschmo25. Show joeschmo25's posts

I think Chiarelli is saying he'll match any offers because of how the market looks now. That's not to say if a team bucks the trend and pulls an oilers move and offers a player a huge contract, like the Oilers tried to do with Thomas Vanek and what they did with Dustin Penner. If a team like Montreal or Florida decides they want Kessel bad enough $6 mil a year is going to be the end point for Chiarelli I think. However I think he may trade Kessel around the draft if they're too far apart on a deal. And for the record they can trade a restricted free agent without a contract in place, for an example look at Andrej Mezaros getting traded to Tampa Bay last year before being signed. They would sign and trade Kessel before for the sole benefit of increasing his trade value, the team trading for him would not trade for him to lose him to an offer sheet, simple as that. And trading the rights to an unrestricted free agent (such as Manny Fernandez) works before July 1st, using that as an example I don't think anybody would trade for Fernandez's rights unless they're desperate for goaltending.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from CarolinaClamMan. Show CarolinaClamMan's posts

Help me understand this--   if we do not sign Kessel before July 1, then offer sheets come in and we have the option of matching or letting him go in exchange for several draft picks from the offering team.  BUT, why would they take him when he has not agreed to any contract?  They would be buying a non-player. 

Joeschmo, are you saying that if a team does grab him with an offer sheet, then another team can re-grab him as long as he is not under contract?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from joeschmo25. Show joeschmo25's posts

Yes, until Kessel signs the offer sheet any team can poach him, even from a team who had already poached him from Boston. If you aren't matched with an offer sheet you just win the rights to the player, and give up the compensation picks to the losing team. It's sorta like a trade with the price of compensation directly related to the price of the contract. And if Kessel wants $5 million (for example) and a team gives him that and the Bruin's don't match their compensation would be a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd round pick. Anything above that gets into multiple 1st round pick compensations.
    Fun fact- When Edmonton offered Thomas Vanek the 7 year, $49 million contract if Buffalo didn't match it they would've received 4  1st round picks as compensation.