Play GM - What would you do with Chara at $7 Million/yr and UFA in 2012

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from LoveRealHockey. Show LoveRealHockey's posts

Play GM - What would you do with Chara at $7 Million/yr and UFA in 2012

Seriously, I wonder what would be the best thing to do if you're the Bruins.

Fact:  Chara is a freak of nature.  Big, strong, long reach, great fighter (although he has not dropped them recently), great shooter, big hitter when he wants to be.  Turning 33 this year (that's really 40 in freak-of-nature-big-guys-that-have-banged-for-a-long-time years...).  Even Gretsky, arguably the greatest player of all time retired at 38 due to all the hockey he played and the grind it took on his body.

Fact: Chara is playing no where near what he was doing last year or what he did with the Senators.

Fact:  Chara is making $7 Million and will be UFA in 2 years (when he turns 35).  Would still demand a lot of $$ at that time and would likely want to finish his career on a team that is contending for the cup (which could be the Bruins at that point - but not at the rate they are currently going.

If it wasn't for the Salary Cap, I don't think this even comes up for discussion.  You keep him, pay him and hope he leads you to the cup.  But something isn't right with Chara.  He's either injured or starting to digress as a player who's logged a lot of ice time. 

He should be a dominant defenceman in the league. Why they don't park Chara in front of the net during the powerplay is beyond me.  How do you move the guy?

Having said all that, he can bring a lot back to the Bruins that don't have a lot of cap space to play around with especially given the length of some of the contracts to Savard/Ryder/Thomas.  They are already stocked up with draft picks.  If you can swing a deal to ease the cap space and get back a front-line offensive player plus high pick(s) you can draft Fowler and pick up other offensive pieces with the other picks to build a core that would be ready to compete for the cup in 2 years plus put the Bruins in good shape to remain in the hunt for a few years after that.

I think something has to give and the Bruins have to pull something big (likely in the off-season when you can work out the $$) instead of tinkering. I still contend they are at a cross-roads and have a lot of opportunity to follow the Chicago model (without having to finish last in the league) and have the gumption to do something major.

Thoughts?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from dustyisacat. Show dustyisacat's posts

Re: Play GM - What would you do with Chara at $7 Million/yr and UFA in 2012

Ryder and Sturm are UFA's come 2012 also . Let them go. But also something to keep in mind, Bergeron becomes a UFA too . I'd want to resign him before Chara although I'd still want both back.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Chara will most likely re-sign for a few years at a "reasonable" price, something less than he's making now.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from No4BobbyOrr-GOAT. Show No4BobbyOrr-GOAT's posts

Depending on his play this and next year will dictate his salary, if back to form of last year, he will likely sign a cap friendly heavy at the front not unlike Savard's. If not he may be shipped out for someone to decide the heft of his contract.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from savybergy77. Show savybergy77's posts

Same type of contract Savard signed. 32 mil over 6 years front end loaded that takes him to 40 years old. Years 5 and 6 of the deal are worth only 1 mil each and the first 4 years are worth 7.5mil / per. For a cap hit of 5.34mil/ year.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from DarrenRyan9. Show DarrenRyan9's posts

Resign him....4 years / 24 million

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogsk8r. Show bogsk8r's posts

Let him walk for picks and get a "PROVEN" goal scorer with that money.  Hey, he's been terrible this year but we can't put the puck in the net either. 

If I where GM, I'd drop this defensive style of thinking, it doesnt' put fans in the seats.  Tukka is good enough for a 3.2 goals against but we need to off set that with 4 goals a game and that is going to come from where????

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from cowboys9. Show cowboys9's posts

I agree with a couple of guys on here...he will get the Savard comparable contract and make the Cap more manageable for Bruins to sign other players.. I want him here.. he may not be having a banner year, however he will be close to matching his points output of last year.... but he still is our best D and still an imposing figure back there that gives the Bruins a presence on the ice.. there is a reason why the Bruins have the #1 Penalty Kill in the league..

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from cowboys9. Show cowboys9's posts

Actually hty239 the worst contract ever given a Bruin has to be MOC signing Alexi Zhamnov to millions.. not even close.. On all your other points I respectfully disagree..

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from savybergy77. Show savybergy77's posts

totally don't agree with you. 29 other teams would kill for Chara and if you don't think so then you should be watching soccer. Chara, Thomas and the other D-men (even including Wideman) didn't forget how to play hockey this year, they have absolutely no help from their Providence Bruins forwards. You take Savard, Lucic, bergeron, Krejci, who have all been injured this year and then add Kessel, Yelle, and even Axelsson gone from last year and replace them with Bitz, Sobotka, Begin, Larmen, Whitfield, etc,etc, the end result is the DEFENCE LOOKS WORSE THAN IT IS. We have no forwards helping getting our transission game going. That my friends is the problem!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogsk8r. Show bogsk8r's posts

Wish our captain played with as much heart as Sobotka does!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from bandgbleeder. Show bandgbleeder's posts

Chara will be a UFA not an RFA. He can go anywhere...

Today i would do 3 years at 5 a peice at that point.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from everyname. Show everyname's posts

Re-sign him.  Trust me, I currently live in Ottawa and everybody, I mean everybody, regrets that Chara is gone.

He's worth what he's paid.  Sign him to a contract that goes the rest of his career, with an optional buyout towards the end (like Savard).

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from MDsizzle. Show MDsizzle's posts

If we can sign him for a Savardish contract, that is perfect. If not, whatever, sign him anyhow. He is having a bit of an off year due to his finger no doubt. When he is 100%, no one else is close, he did not win the Norris on his good looks!