Question and survey

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

Question and survey

Hockey really only starts next month,  what can I say .....
    So now we know what some of you do besides posting on here, how you became a Bruins fan and where you reside.
    I'm kind of getting bored talking about TT , Wheeler, trading Savvy , what to do with Sturm, Ryder, Wheeler and again Timmy (bless his soul).

When you were a kid who were you when ...
    1) holding a hockey stick
    2) holding a bat
    3) throwing a hoop
    4) Catching or throwing the football

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

Re: Question and survey

1. Ray Bourque, Pat Lafontaine
    2. Dave Winfield (apologies)

3. Kevin McHale

4. Eric Dickerson

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

1) Phil Esposito and then Middleton
    2) Freddy Lynn (had his glove )
    3) Who else ,  Larry Bird
    4) Roger Staubach (what can I say as a kid loved their cheerleaders)
    I am a Patriots fan.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from east-westBsfan. Show east-westBsfan's posts

GerryCheevers    Carl Yastremski    John Havlicek   Mack Herron  (spelling)

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

1) Yzerman
    2)Fielder
    3)ewing
    4)cunningham

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from eyeinthesky. Show eyeinthesky's posts

1. Wasn't a huge hockey fan as a kid (things have changed), but always remembered Bourque and Lindros
    2. NOMAR
    3. Muggsy Bogues (I used to be really short) 
    *loved Steve Francis as a Rocket too
    4. Montana to Rice

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

When I was 9ish, the answer to all four was HBK Shawn Michaels.

In my universe, he was captain of all sports teams.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

TWO Royal Rumble victories back to back!!!  Better feat than any 50 goal season.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from no1bruinsfan. Show no1bruinsfan's posts

Orr, Bench, Bird, Joe Zuger(CFL) was a huge Elway fan in later years. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

1) me
    2) me
    3) me
    4) me

I guess I'm different.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

In Response to Re: Question and survey:
    [QUOTE]When I was 9ish, the answer to all four was HBK Shawn Michaels. In my universe, he was captain of all sports teams.  
    Posted by Drewski5[/QUOTE]

Awesomely dorky Drew, I love it!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from duinne. Show duinne's posts

1. Ace Bailey, God rest his soul.
    2. Carlton Fisk
    3. I hate basketball
    4. Randy Vataha

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from scottm50. Show scottm50's posts

Nice thread "BsLegion"....I kinda like this sort of stuff, getting to know where everyone's head is, when its not up their behind!!! Hahaha

1.  Gilles Gilbert and Gerry Cheevers ( I was a goaltender)
    2.  Wasn't a baseball fan as a kid... played a lot but didn't watch on TV.
    3.  Larry Bird....of course!!
    4.  Tom Wilkinson....Edmonton Eskimos.

From these answers you can pretty much guess my age!!!!  Hahahaha

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from pbergeron37. Show pbergeron37's posts

duinne has the only answer to number 3 that makes sense to me

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Eddie Shore (sorry duinne).  Not that I'm old enough, but I was given #2 at an early age with a "here, kid, go be Eddie Shore..." and it stuck.  At a later stage, someone else had 2 so the team tried to give me #4.  I wouldn't take it - it was sacriledge by that point.  Went with #3 instead and wore it until I was out of organized leagues.  I had no idea how good Hitchman's career had been until later.

Frank Robinson first, then a young Joe Morgan the last few years I played - though that was more "who I wanted to play like" than "who I was".

My favorite basketball story on this subject:  Joe Dumars and his son are playing one on one on a little tyke-sized hoop.  They get all set up, the kid takes the ball out and says "I'm gonna be Michael Jordan.  Who're you gonna be dad?"  "I'm gonna be Joe Dumars!"  Love it.  Never had much baskeball game, and didn't grow up watching it as religiously, but I loved being a good defensive player, so I had a huge soft-spot for a young Rodman - before all the nuttiness - who came along after my vertical had been reduced to the height of a tallboy.

My dad.  Then Gayle Sayers.  Then Jack Tatum. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

[QUOTE]duinne has the only answer to number 3 that makes sense to me
    Posted by pbergeron37[/QUOTE]

Too bad (that goes for duinne too).  I think you can learn a lot about hockey from watching basketball and vice versa - but you have to know enough about each to make the connections.  Both are basically 5 on 5 with 3 up and 2 back.  Both have two basic modes of generating offense - off the rush or fast-break, and off of the half-court sets or cycle/o-zone possession.  At their best, both involve moving the rock quickly between fast-moving players to create lanes that provide good shots.  Both are about beating an opponent to a spot, establishing position, etc. etc.  Both can be beautiful when executed at the highest level.  The only thing basketball lacks is the collisions.  And in basketball, being a perimeter (or suburban) player isn't necessarily a veiled insult.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from duinne. Show duinne's posts

[QUOTE]Eddie Shore (sorry duinne).  Not that I'm old enough, but I was given #2 at an early age with a "here, kid, go be Eddie Shore..." and it stuck.  At a later stage, someone else had 2 so the team tried to give me #4.  I wouldn't take it - it was sacriledge by that point.  Went with #3 instead and wore it until I was out of organized leagues.  I had no idea how good Hitchman's career had been until later. Frank Robinson first, then a young Joe Morgan the last few years I played - though that was more "who I wanted to play like" than "who I was". My favorite basketball story on this subject:  Joe Dumars and his son are playing one on one on a little tyke-sized hoop.  They get all set up, the kid takes the ball out and says "I'm gonna be Michael Jordan.  Who're you gonna be dad?"  "I'm gonna be Joe Dumars!"  Love it.  Never had much baskeball game, and didn't grow up watching it as religiously, but I loved being a good defensive player, so I had a huge soft-spot for a young Rodman - before all the nuttiness - who came along after my vertical had been reduced to the height of a tallboy. My dad.  Then Gayle Sayers.  Then Jack Tatum. 
    Posted by Bookboy007[/QUOTE]

Different Ace Bailey. I'm thinking of this one:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Garnet_Bailey

Not this one:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ace_Bailey

And sorry, basketball bores me. They travel on every possession, and they call time out every 15 seconds of the final five minutes. ZZZzzzz.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Brad Park

Jim Rice

Danny Ainge

Terry Brashaw

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Question and survey : Too bad (that goes for duinne too).  I think you can learn a lot about hockey from watching basketball and vice versa - but you have to know enough about each to make the connections.  Both are basically 5 on 5 with 3 up and 2 back.  Both have two basic modes of generating offense - off the rush or fast-break, and off of the half-court sets or cycle/o-zone possession.  At their best, both involve moving the rock quickly between fast-moving players to create lanes that provide good shots.  Both are about beating an opponent to a spot, establishing position, etc. etc.  Both can be beautiful when executed at the highest level.  The only thing basketball lacks is the collisions.  And in basketball, being a perimeter (or suburban) player isn't necessarily a veiled insult.
    Posted by Bookboy007[/QUOTE]

I play pick up who was a good basketball player and picked up hockey later.  he thinks setting a pick is legal in hockey.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

It would be if you adhered to the same rules as they do in basketball.  In fact, Forsberg was great at using stationary teammates on pick and rolls.  He'd have a guy on the hash mark fronting one defender, skate over top of that player so that any player pursuing him would get picked off and have to switch, then slide a pass back through the defender moving to pick him up to the player on the hash who now had inside position on the guy orginally checking Forsberg.  Almost all of those long, around the world skates in the offensive zone involve using at least one stationary teammate as a pick.  It's only interference if the guy's moving.  Otherwise, you have a right to the space you're standing on if you don't have the puck.

If you have the puck, you have no rights, hockey or human.  Keep your head up.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Stuke50. Show Stuke50's posts

1. Bobby Orr

2. Terry Puhl (casue he was from Saskatchewan)

3. Hate Basketball

4. Ronnie Lancaster (best quarterback ever in the CFL).

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

[QUOTE]Nice thread "BsLegion"....I kinda like this sort of stuff, getting to know where everyone's head is, when its not up their behind!!! Hahaha 1.  Gilles Gilbert and Gerry Cheevers ( I was a goaltender) 2.  Wasn't a baseball fan as a kid... played a lot but didn't watch on TV. 3.  Larry Bird....of course!! 4.  Tom Wilkinson....Edmonton Eskimos. From these answers you can pretty much guess my age!!!!  Hahahaha
    Posted by scottm50[/QUOTE]

So we're close in age I see.  I once was Gilles Gilbert.  I had this huge snow suit and I sliding all over the net making big save after big save. "Another big save by Gilles Gilbert " That was the last time I really played goal.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

[QUOTE]1. Bobby Orr 2. Terry Puhl (casue he was from Saskatchewan) 3. Hate Basketball 4. Ronnie Lancaster (best quarterback ever in the CFL).
    Posted by Stuke50[/QUOTE]

Not Warren Moon ?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from BruinsCountry. Show BruinsCountry's posts

1) - Boom-Boom Geoffrion (because of his name; hadn't seen a game at that point)

2) - Willie Mays (still the greatest all-around baseball player ever)

3) - Sam Jones (lights out shooter, poised, cool)

4) - Y. A. Tittle (threw 36 TD passes for NYG during 14-game NFL season)

Sure, I tried to be like each of these guys, though with very mixed results:

- Developed a good slapper when I took up hockey at 18, but a laborious skater like O'Reilly never even dreamt about.

- Dismal Little Leaguer, but became pretty good in h.s.

- Only played b-ball for something to do in winter

- Countless hours throwing the ball around in the backyard with my brother resulted in perfect spirals for a lifetime.  And for that, I am indebted to ol' YAT.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from BlackandGold24. Show BlackandGold24's posts

1. Ray Bourque
    2. Mike Piazza
    3. Didn't care for basketball. I really only knew of Shaq
    4. Brett Favre