Recchi Comments " Speak Volumes"

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from cowboys9. Show cowboys9's posts

Recchi Comments " Speak Volumes"

Some interesting reading on Bruins Blog .. and if you read between the lines Rex does throw out some interesting tidbits on the state of the Bruins behind closed doors that we never see.. also maybe a reason that the Bruins might be looking at moving Savard.. Here are a couple of quotes worth noting..

" "I had some great conversations with Peter," said Recchi. "I really like the direction he wanted to go. He had a great feel for what was needed. When you hear that -- now, not everything might work out the way he wants to -- about what the dressing room needed, what the players needed, and how he has a great understanding of it, that was exciting to me.

Was there some disconnect in the dressing room? Was Savard part of the issue?
    First I heard that there might be a dressing room issue? What the players needed? is also a new one...What is that??  Better rooms on the road?

"I really like Savvy," Recchi said. "You never know what's going to happen. General managers explore everything. If there's a viable option to move Marc Savard, he's obviously got to look at it. He might be looking for a different dynamic."

" WOW!! does that speak volumes or what?  Way to stand up for a team mate ?Maybe I am reading to much into this but it looks like PC had some very interesting comments with Recchi by the sounds of it..

I am a Savard fan BTW and I think it would be a big mistake to let him go if that is in the works.. again it could be personal, or it could be that PC feels he is worried after his latest concussion, he has had many in his career.. maybe it is his lack of control on the ice ,ie takes needless penalties.. or he is really a problem in the room...all I know he has not had anyone to play with consistently unless you count PK in for a couple of years.. I was really looking forward to seeing him centreing Horton and Lucic on #1 line..

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from GNPBruins. Show GNPBruins's posts

Re: Recchi Comments " Speak Volumes"

What part that he really likes Savard?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

Today I thought it would have been a done deal and Savvy would be traded by the time I opened my computer.
    Not yet.
    I really would not get this , I know PC loves Kaberle but I still don't why Savvy.
    Last season when he signed the long term contract I was very proud of the Bruins statement and now he's in talks to trade him ???
    Maybe it's just me an don't get the "hockey is a buisness " .....  Is there no more loyalty ? How can it change in this than one year ? 
    If the reasoning behind this is the concussion he suffered then why would another team pickup damaged goods ??
    I just don't get it. If they trade Savvy just like that I'll be very disappointed and it's not just due to hockey but the human aspect also.
    Unless somethings happened behind closed doors.
    What I find so funny is how everyone now is finding excuses and agreeing that Bruins should trade Savvy.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Recchi is full of veteran speak.  He says great things about the guy coming in, and then states the obvious about a guy that is being chased by rumors.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from LoveTheBruins. Show LoveTheBruins's posts

I'm not sold on either Bergeron or Krecji as my number 1 center yet.  

The reality is that both of these players have injuries problems too.   Don't forget, Krecji has now had major hip and wrist injuries (surgeries for both? or just the hip?) in back to back seasons.   They both had 52 points and neither scored 20 goals playing virually the whole season.  Oddly, both of their career highs in points is 73.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from screw-cindy-and-ovie. Show screw-cindy-and-ovie's posts

In Response to Re: Recchi Comments " Speak Volumes":
    I'm not sold on either Bergeron or Krecji as my number 1 center yet.   The reality is that both of these players have injuries problems too.   Don't forget, Krecji has now had major hip and wrist injuries (surgeries for both? or just the hip?) in back to back seasons.   They both had 52 points and neither scored 20 goals playing virually the whole season.  Oddly, both of their career highs in points is 73.
    Posted by LoveTheBruins

you are 100% correct. I dont think neither of them can be a #1 center. The part that worries me the most if savard is traded is this

Lets say our 3 centers would be 1. Krejci 2. Bergeron 3. Seguin. Krejci and Bergeron both have injury history as well. Lets say krejci goes down for about a month leaving the only 2 good centers as Bergeron(sorry bergy lovers, but bergeron is not a #1 center) and seguin, a rookie with inexperience. Who plays third line? Trent Whitfield?? Colborne, caron, hamill, sauve??? They are all rookies.
    I say keep all 3 centers and play either seguin or bergeron on the wing. In the event of injury, bergeron/seguin switch back centre and we still have depth.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

I'm not looking to see Savard traded, at the same time to make him look better than Kreji and/or Bergeron is not reality. Kreji and Bergeron both play all ends much better than Savard and are the core strength that allows Savvy to do his thing and make some great passes for scoring chances on the PP. However, Savvy has not exactly klicked with any of the many wings he has had except Kessel, who scored the same in Toronto without Savvy. The movement of Savard may be that CHIA has seen enough, particularly when Savvy came back in the playoffs and did less than anyone to pick up for Kreji. Maybe because of the concussion, but also maybe because it was one more look at a fading capability.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from bluefox70. Show bluefox70's posts

Savard is very well liked in the locker room. End of story!

He was the one that stuck up for Lucic getting hit from behind from Ott. It wasn't lucic sticking up for him when Cooke blindsided him. So, maybe Lucic is the guy that is unliked in the locker room? 

The assumptions on this board are amazing. Recchi is a guy, who is not that intelligent, but a good long term hockey player. He has spent his whole life saying vague "quotes".   Relax people and don't read into this stuff too much.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from cowboys9. Show cowboys9's posts

Savard is very well liked in the locker room. End of story! He was the one that stuck up for Lucic getting hit from behind from Ott. It wasn't lucic sticking up for him when Cooke blindsided him. So, maybe Lucic is the guy that is unliked in the locker room?  The assumptions on this board are amazing. Recchi is a guy, who is not that intelligent, but a good long term hockey player. He has spent his whole life saying vague "quotes".   Relax people and don't read into this stuff too much.
    Posted by bluefox70

And you have been in the Bruins dressing room to witness his popularity??...and you kind of lost me by saying that Recchi is " not that intelligent"  Your assumptions on here are amazing...

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from LoveRealHockey. Show LoveRealHockey's posts

Bottom Line:
    Savard will be paid $28+ million over the life of his contract.
    He's 33 and his most productive days are behind him.
    He's coming off of a serious concussion.  Difference with Bergeron is that Bergeron received his at a young age and more able to rebound (albeit not 100% yet).  Savard came back early, but after an adrenline rush was a non-factor in the playoffs.
    He has, IMHO, 2 good years left.

To get some value of Savard, PC pretty much has to make a soft trade now or the contract will be unmovable and handcuff him when the younger guys reach RFA status, just like TT's is now.

I like Savard, but I now completely understand why PC is trying to move him.
    Also, I think PC wants Chara and Bergeron to sign extensions so it makes the cap issue even worse.

I think Savard is good as gone.

I'm pretty sure Burke isn't looking to acquire him, though, unless PC virtually gives him away and takes some salary back.

I'm a bit amazed on how things change quickly.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from bridgemanusa. Show bridgemanusa's posts

My guess would be something along the lines of Savard to Tor for Grabovski (another center). The Bs plug him into the 3rd line role and also save $1mil in cap space then get rid of him in 2 yrs, just in time for Seguin to move back to center (if not sooner). I would be fine with Krecji/Bergeron/Grabo down the middle. Lots of "yout" and talent.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from choclab511. Show choclab511's posts

Trading Savvy makes a lot of sense I think. 2 years from now, Seguin probably will be his equal in terms of numbers. If you try and trade Savvy 2 years from now when Seguin is likely to be coming into his own, you'll get next to nothing for him. Trade him now, you get good value, and have to bite the bullet a bit on the learning curve for the kid. As long as we get good value in return, I say ship him out. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from cowboys9. Show cowboys9's posts

Bottom Line: Savard will be paid $28+ million over the life of his contract. He's 33 and his most productive days are behind him. He's coming off of a serious concussion.  Difference with Bergeron is that Bergeron received his at a young age and more able to rebound (albeit not 100% yet).  Savard came back early, but after an adrenline rush was a non-factor in the playoffs. He has, IMHO, 2 good years left. To get some value of Savard, PC pretty much has to make a soft trade now or the contract will be unmovable and handcuff him when the younger guys reach RFA status, just like TT's is now. I like Savard, but I now completely understand why PC is trying to move him. Also, I think PC wants Chara and Bergeron to sign extensions so it makes the cap issue even worse. I think Savard is good as gone. I'm pretty sure Burke isn't looking to acquire him, though, unless PC virtually gives him away and takes some salary back. I'm a bit amazed on how things change quickly.
    Posted by LoveRealHockey

I disagree with your assessment on Savard.. He has more than two productive years left.. at 33 this guy is not burned out and his skills have not diminished...He should not have come back that early from a Grade 2 concussion and not surprised he sort of ran out of gas as the playoffs wore on but I do give him marks for trying to help the team .....I think there are some personal reasons as to why Savvy might want a change of scenery .. Bruins can handle his cap friendly salary.. and this year with Horton and a healthy Lucic I would predict a 100 point season for Savvy or there abouts.. I really do.. I am hoping he stays.. but if he goes your right it wont be to the Leafs..

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from perrysound. Show perrysound's posts

Cowboy, you say Savy has had a lot of concussions in his career. I tried to look at up, and didn't find anything on that. When did these happen. Seriously I'd like to know. He has had injuries, such as the broken foot, and other things, but I've never heard of him getting other concussions.
    I've heard many times "a history of concussions" but I can't find any proof of that.
    Anyone?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from perrysound. Show perrysound's posts

I'm not sold on either Bergeron or Krecji as my number 1 center yet.   The reality is that both of these players have injuries problems too.   Don't forget, Krecji has now had major hip and wrist injuries (surgeries for both? or just the hip?) in back to back seasons.   They both had 52 points and neither scored 20 goals playing virually the whole season.  Oddly, both of their career highs in points is 73.
    Posted by LoveTheBruins

Excellent post. Hadn't thought of it, but it is true. Both Krecji and Bergeron have worse injury history than Savard. One shot to either and they could be gone for a long time. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

Recchi is full of veteran speak.  He says great things about the guy coming in, and then states the obvious about a guy that is being chased by rumors.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot

100% agreed.

Here's what I saw.  Recchi took the template of what you're supposed to say regarding rumors surrounding the departure of "Player x", and then substituted in "Savard" for "Player x"

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

Trading Savvy makes a lot of sense I think. 2 years from now, Seguin probably will be his equal in terms of numbers. If you try and trade Savvy 2 years from now when Seguin is likely to be coming into his own, you'll get next to nothing for him. Trade him now, you get good value, and have to bite the bullet a bit on the learning curve for the kid. As long as we get good value in return, I say ship him out. 
    Posted by choclab511

This would make perfect sense......If the B's were bad.

We have a shot to win the cup in 2011....You really want to close that window because Seguin will be a comparable player in 2 years?

If Seguin isnt better than Savard TODAY, then trading Savard is a bad idea.

The Bruins should be focused on making a run at the cup this year, as they are legitimate contenders.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrCC. Show DrCC's posts

Cowboy, you say Savy has had a lot of concussions in his career. I tried to look at up, and didn't find anything on that. When did these happen. Seriously I'd like to know. He has had injuries, such as the broken foot, and other things, but I've never heard of him getting other concussions. I've heard many times "a history of concussions" but I can't find any proof of that. Anyone?
    Posted by perrysound

http://tsn.ca/nhl/teams/players/bio/?id=204
    This was his 4th.  He'd only missed 16 games due to the other three (though one was end-of-season).

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from LoveRealHockey. Show LoveRealHockey's posts

In Response to Re: Recchi Comments " Speak Volumes" : I disagree with your assessment on Savard.. He has more than two productive years left.. at 33 this guy is not burned out and his skills have not diminished...He should not have come back that early from a Grade 2 concussion and not surprised he sort of ran out of gas as the playoffs wore on but I do give him marks for trying to help the team .....I think there are some personal reasons as to why Savvy might want a change of scenery .. Bruins can handle his cap friendly salary.. and this year with Horton and a healthy Lucic I would predict a 100 point season for Savvy or there abouts.. I really do.. I am hoping he stays.. but if he goes your right it wont be to the Leafs..
    Posted by cowboys9

100 points?  That would have placed him 5th in overall scoring behind
    Ovey, Crosby, Sedin and Backstrom.

Hmm...that would be very optimistic.

I think the cap friendly salary will become an issue when the younger guys get to RFA status and Rask/Krecji negotiate new contract not to mention the extensions I'm assuming they want to make for Bergeron and Chara.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mutant211. Show Mutant211's posts

Posted by LoveTheBruins

Good post.  Injury issues aside, I am nervous about the prospect of trading Savard this summer due to the fact that it will leave the team without a #1 center until Seguin matures into that role.  I think that people are placing too much weight on the fact that Savard played poorly in the playoffs.  He simply came back too soon.  Stuart didn't play well upon his return either, but nobody is suggesting that the Bruins trade him. 

It's a tough situation.  I think that with Savard, the Bruins could be a legitimate Cup contender in 2011.  Without Savard, I don't think that they are. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from LoveRealHockey. Show LoveRealHockey's posts

In Response to Re: Recchi Comments " Speak Volumes" : I disagree with your assessment on Savard.. He has more than two productive years left.. at 33 this guy is not burned out and his skills have not diminished...He should not have come back that early from a Grade 2 concussion and not surprised he sort of ran out of gas as the playoffs wore on but I do give him marks for trying to help the team .....I think there are some personal reasons as to why Savvy might want a change of scenery .. Bruins can handle his cap friendly salary.. and this year with Horton and a healthy Lucic I would predict a 100 point season for Savvy or there abouts.. I really do.. I am hoping he stays.. but if he goes your right it wont be to the Leafs..
    Posted by cowboys9

100 points?  That would have placed him 5th in overall scoring behind
    Ovey, Crosby, Sedin and Backstrom.

Hmm...that would be very optimistic.

I think the cap friendly salary will become an issue when the younger guys get to RFA status and Rask/Krecji negotiate new contract not to mention the extensions I'm assuming they want to make for Bergeron and Chara.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from joeschmo25. Show joeschmo25's posts

I think there might be some issues in the locker room that the team doesn't want to come out and say.

Recchi's comments do shed some light on the situation. He said he liked Savard as a player, but didn't say he wanted him to stay. You can call it veteran speak, but with someone like Recchi's history I don't think it's just talk. 

The two incidents that stand out to how Savard may be looked at is the hit from Cooke and the too many men penalty on Sobotka caused by Savard in the game 7 against Philadelphia. 

Don't you find it odd that the Bruin's best player wasn't revenged after that hit. The team was surprisingly tame considering he was given a head shot. In nearly any other case Cooke would've been pummled immediately following the hit or on the following shift.

As for the too many men issue, Savard made a mistake by going towards the bench and changing his mind at the last second. How he handled the issue in front of the press showed a lack of leadership. Rather than take the blame, Savard claims he didn't see Sobotka coming off of the bench. Whether or not he saw Sobotka, his action caused the penalty, and rather than take the blame he simply shoves it off to leave Sobotka to the wolves.

There's not a lot of evidence showing a warm reception for Savard as a teammate coming out of the Bruins locker room. Whatever reason that may be may be. If these two incidents are how it's shown then that may show more problems than we originally thought for the locker room. Add in Savard's injury history, his age, contract and the possibility of him not returning to his former glory and those are the reasons he may be on the market. 

As for the replacement, I think Krejci's play in the Olympics, following the Olympics and in the playoffs show his readiness for the role. The only evidence of his slumping in the first half of the reason is being brought back from his injury too soon. His skills have been getting better and he's been getting smarter as a player. Provided that he's healthy at the start of the season I think he'd be ready for the #1 role. 

With everything considered, if Savard is moved I think it'll be because of a GM decision. With the uncertainty of the return of the same skills, and the height of his trade value being right now, Savard is the prime candidate to be moved. The Bruins are getting younger at the core, and with Seguin you may not find the immediate same replacement for Savard's numbers, but you'll find his eventual better version and successor. Like Recchi said, if Chiarelli can get something good enough for Savard he'll consider his options. If Savard OKs the deal then I think Chiarelli will move on it.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from BruinsCountry. Show BruinsCountry's posts

I think there might be some issues in the locker room that the team doesn't want to come out and say. Recchi's comments do shed some light on the situation. He said he liked Savard as a player, but didn't say he wanted him to stay. You can call it veteran speak, but with someone like Recchi's history I don't think it's just talk.  The two incidents that stand out to how Savard may be looked at is the hit from Cooke and the too many men penalty on Sobotka caused by Savard in the game 7 against Philadelphia.  Don't you find it odd that the Bruin's best player wasn't revenged after that hit. The team was surprisingly tame considering he was given a head shot. In nearly any other case Cooke would've been pummled immediately following the hit or on the following shift. As for the too many men issue, Savard made a mistake by going towards the bench and changing his mind at the last second. How he handled the issue in front of the press showed a lack of leadership. Rather than take the blame, Savard claims he didn't see Sobotka coming off of the bench. Whether or not he saw Sobotka, his action caused the penalty, and rather than take the blame he simply shoves it off to leave Sobotka to the wolves. There's not a lot of evidence showing a warm reception for Savard as a teammate coming out of the Bruins locker room. Whatever reason that may be may be. If these two incidents are how it's shown then that may show more problems than we originally thought for the locker room. Add in Savard's injury history, his age, contract and the possibility of him not returning to his former glory and those are the reasons he may be on the market.  As for the replacement, I think Krejci's play in the Olympics, following the Olympics and in the playoffs show his readiness for the role. The only evidence of his slumping in the first half of the reason is being brought back from his injury too soon. His skills have been getting better and he's been getting smarter as a player. Provided that he's healthy at the start of the season I think he'd be ready for the #1 role.  With everything considered, if Savard is moved I think it'll be because of a GM decision. With the uncertainty of the return of the same skills, and the height of his trade value being right now, Savard is the prime candidate to be moved. The Bruins are getting younger at the core, and with Seguin you may not find the immediate same replacement for Savard's numbers, but you'll find his eventual better version and successor. Like Recchi said, if Chiarelli can get something good enough for Savard he'll consider his options. If Savard OKs the deal then I think Chiarelli will move on it.
    Posted by joeschmo25

Joe, I think Seguin and Horton will more than replace Savard's points.  And if the B's can get the one role they currently lack, a PP QB out at the point, as a result of cap space cleared by a Savard trade, I say go for it.  I'm very concerned about the balky knee Savard's had the past 2 seasons, not to mention the concussion.  Thought Savvy had slowed noticeably even PRIOR to the Cooke hit.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from pucman. Show pucman's posts

Posted by cowboys9

i agree with you cowboy on a very productive season from Savard....i love the combination of Savard & Horton thinking both will help each others careers out....if Savard helps Horton to 35-40 goals,comes up with 60-70 assists have you not helped the bruins out in 2 departments? 1) helping Horton gain that power forward, goal scorer, mentality & confidence  2) in Savard a  bargaining chip for next year to trade with a greater return....maybe Savard & your #1 for the overall #1....its kinda a cr*p shoot with Savards injuries, but if everything played out the return could be astronomical....with colbourn,sauve, etc. waiting in the wings next year,you can wait 1 year & your return of a high prospect or 2 for Savard would benefit the team alot more then what you would get today...its a gamble, but what isnt! 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

In Response to Re: Recchi Comments " Speak Volumes" : Joe, I think Seguin and Horton will more than replace Savard's points.  And if the B's can get the one role they currently lack, a PP QB out at the point, as a result of cap space cleared by a Savard trade, I say go for it.  I'm very concerned about the balky knee Savard's had the past 2 seasons, not to mention the concussion.  Thought Savvy had slowed noticeably even PRIOR to the Cooke hit.
    Posted by BruinsCountry

Why don't you re-word this ,  Joe, I think Seguin and Horton will more than replace Ryder (sorry Krispy) and Sturm's points.
    If injuries are an issue with Savvy then no team will give Bruins anything of an impact or even close to it in return. You might aswell keep Savvy. I'm sure with proper ice time and "real " line mates Savvy will get up and close to 90 points.

P.S. Savvy was slowed down by broken foot and other injuries.  But most importantly NO WINGERS !!!
    Paille ,a broken down Lucic, Begin do not consist as good winders for Savvy.