Recchi

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

Recchi

I love the guy and I know we're only five games in, but is it just me or does he  look brutal so far?  Not sure how long he gets a free pass for...

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BradyBruin. Show BradyBruin's posts

Re: Recchi

I wouldn't say he looks brutal, last night I would put Wheeler in that category, and the previous games I would put Hunwick in that category.
    I think part of the issue is this team is much quicker thans last years B's - which makes him look slow. He still shows he's a very intelligent player and makes good decisions.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

I agree about Hunwick and Wheeler, but the point is that we're all talking about getting rid of those guys. 

Recchi has looked pretty bad to me and made some turnovers last night that had nothing to do with speed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BradyBruin. Show BradyBruin's posts

The difference is I would say is that you can believe when something like that happens to Recchi its the exception, not the rule. I don't see the other guys improving, while I fully expect Recchi to remain a consistent steady player - not someone who would remain a liability.
    I was chasing a 3 yr old around for the first half of the game - maybe I missed a few things.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from screw-cindy-and-ovie. Show screw-cindy-and-ovie's posts

Don't know why the old man was resigned in the first place when we have many good prospects in the system

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mutant211. Show Mutant211's posts

He looks no different than he did last October.  It was mid-November before Recchi looked like he belonged on the team last year, and his game slowly built momentum as the season progressed.  It was a similar situation in Tampa Bay two years ago. 

I have little doubt that Recchi will improve as the season winds on, and be at his best during the playoffs, barring injury.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from seobrien. Show seobrien's posts

I was kind of thinking the same thing. I do love the guy, and think they will need him, especially for the playoffs. Seguin does make him look slow. I would hardly classify him as brutal though, he still makes smart plays (read: Horton's goal in game 2)...but when Sturm gets back, I wouldn't mind seeing him in the box for a few games here and there, just to keep him fresh.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

But to play the other side of the coin Mutant, Wheeler and Hunwick are the ones that should be likely to improve as the season goes on -- they are young, talented, and still learning the game.  Niether has reached his athletic peak. 

Recchi is old.  He has cheated the effects of aging admirably, particularly in the playoffs last year.  But it will catch him sooner or later.  At this point, perhaps he is what he is, and he looks a step slower to me and a little sloppy.  I hope he gets better.  I'm not bashing the guy.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from MeanE. Show MeanE's posts

I ask you this, who sent the message to Ovi last night when he launched himself at Caron?  That's right it was Rex!  When the points on the PP were struggling, who did CJ call on, that right it was Rex again!  He is a "role player" on this team and is fulfilling that role perfectly.  Just because he isn't the fleetest of foot at his age and might not put up huge numbers, doesn't mean that he is not effective.  Don't mistake slow with brutal.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from captainbergeron. Show captainbergeron's posts

Can someone find a video of Recchi's hit on Ovechkin. I saw his run at Caron, I heard the announcers talk about the hit, and I saw his poor play afterwards, but I can't find any video of the actual hit. Thanks.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

In Response to Re: Recchi:
    [QUOTE]I ask you this, who sent the message to Ovi last night when he launched himself at Caron?  That's right it was Rex!  When the points on the PP were struggling, who did CJ call on, that right it was Rex again!  He is a "role player" on this team and is fulfilling that role perfectly.  Just because he isn't the fleetest of foot at his age and might not put up huge numbers, doesn't mean that he is not effective.  Don't mistake slow with brutal.
    Posted by MeanE[/QUOTE]

But MeanE,  Recchi's role on this team should actually have nothing to do with message sending and playing point on the powerplay.  He is effective as a scoring foward who goes to the net and scores goals on tips and rebounds.  I hope he can regain his mojo doing that.

If we are keeping him to send messages to opposing players than Julien should be fired.  We have other players for that.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Reilly24. Show Reilly24's posts

The reason I hardly ever post on this site anymore is because of all the negativity. The Bruins have won 4 out of the first 5 games (two against the Caps) and we have people posting about what is wrong with the team. Why don't you just enjoy what is right about the team. All 30 teams have players that aren't playing up to their contracts. Just stop looking for all the negative and enjoy the season cause it's shaping up to be a real good one.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

I'm in agreement on all of the above. Rex cannot keep up with Seguin's speed, BUT, as a mentor he is a constant help. When Ryder contributes, Rex helps out. When Ryder floats we se more of Rex's warts. Hope CJ realizes that Rex needs to be spotted. Comment about "when Sturm gets back" may be a long time coming since he still is not skating. Anyone know why the delay?? He was originally looking at early November which is now a week away.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from yep123. Show yep123's posts

Recchi definitely has value!!!!!

- Settled the PP down last night, lugged it, made the calm & correct decisions along the blue, in the neutral, and in zone....do you think anyone on the D corp positions himself to slide that pass to Horton while allowing himself to be taken out slowing up the PK guy so Horton has 10 feet of ice to work with??? 
    - Smartest player on the ice, maybe Bergeron in that class as well, cant buy experience especially when it comes to Cups....best player last year in the playoffs by far!
    - A leader in the room, see 'MeanE' post above

Many players are to be dealt-cut-whatever before Recchi...

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from MeanE. Show MeanE's posts

Fletch - you're missing my point.  Rex's role is to do whatever he has to do to help his team win games.  Last night his role happened to be watching out for the young kids and playing the point.  To say he is brutal is bashing the guy, and when he has 3 points and is a plus 2 in 5 games, is a stretch at best.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from bruins8. Show bruins8's posts

his pts dont tell his value no way these young guys seguin, caron, have any impact without 28 in room 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from duinne. Show duinne's posts

People seem to be looking for someone/something to criticize...

The power play was struggling until they decided to install Recchi and Bergeron at the points. It's no coincidence that the PP went 3 for 4 following the change, against the best PK in the NHL, no less.

Add in the fact that Recchi is traditionally a slow starter, and I don't see what there is to complain about. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

[QUOTE]Fletch - you're missing my point.  Rex's role is to do whatever he has to do to help his team win games.  Last night his role happened to be watching out for the young kids and playing the point.  To say he is brutal is bashing the guy, and when he has 3 points and is a plus 2 in 5 games, is a stretch at best.
    Posted by MeanE[/QUOTE]

Easy now, I didn't say the guy was brutal as a player, I said he looked brutal in a couple games, which he did.  You can still like a guy and admit that he is playing bad at the same time.  I was hesitant to even start this post because of the cheerleader reaction you usually get with Recchi...it's just my opinion...

As I said, I love the guy.  I think he brings plenty of value to the team.  I just think he is off to a very bad start and I hope he can pull out of it.  Yelling at Ovie isn't his game -- scoring goals is.

And Reilly, what do you want us to talk about??  Of course we're all excited about the fast start.  But we can still discuss ways to get better can't we?  Does everything have to be praise all the time?  Read the first sentence of this thread again -- it's really not that negative...

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

This post should be retro from last year as this thread reared it's head at the same time last season. If I had the time I would look it up to show all the posters on this board that either refused to give in by avoiding going back to the thread to say they were wrong or some posters that questioned Recchi's signing and performance did go back to admit they were pleasntly suprised by Mark's year end performances.

If Recchi ends up with 10 goals I'm fine as long as he is not a -10 +/-. His worth is in the battles of tight games or playoff games because with his experience he doesn't rattle when the tight checking of the playoffs start. Mark could very well be the Satan of this years playoffs after resting most of the season while Julien plays younger prospects.

I still trust in Recchi!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from duinne. Show duinne's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Recchi : Easy now, I didn't say the guy was brutal as a player, I said he looked brutal in a couple games, which he did.  You can still like a guy and admit that he is playing bad at the same time.  I was hesitant to even start this post because of the cheerleader reaction you usually get with Recchi...it's just my opinion... As I said, I love the guy.  I think he brings plenty of value to the team.  I just think he is off to a very bad start and I hope he can pull out of it.  Yelling at Ovie isn't his game -- scoring goals is. And Reilly, what do you want us to talk about??  Of course we're all excited about the fast start.  But we can still discuss ways to get better can't we?  Does everything have to be praise all the time?  Read the first sentence of this thread again -- it's really not that negative...
    Posted by Fletcher1[/QUOTE]

Just fyi, he didn't yell at Ovie. He ran him into the boards. The camera was following the play as the Bruins broke out of the zone, but you could just see Recchi clocking Ovechkin before heading for the bench.

The worst player on the ice thursday night for the Bruins was probably David Krejci, but I'm not worried about him. Neither am I worried about Recchi. Funny how fans will sometimes see what they want or expect to see -- Wheeler, despite missing a couple of nets, played a solid game thursday night, but I've seen his play described as "brutal." I have a feeling that he and Hunwick could play flawlessly the rest of the season and still be blamed for everything from bad traffic to global warming.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mutant211. Show Mutant211's posts

[QUOTE]But to play the other side of the coin Mutant, Wheeler and Hunwick are the ones that should be likely to improve as the season goes on -- they are young, talented, and still learning the game.  Niether has reached his athletic peak.  Recchi is old.  He has cheated the effects of aging admirably, particularly in the playoffs last year.  But it will catch him sooner or later.  At this point, perhaps he is what he is, and he looks a step slower to me and a little sloppy.  I hope he gets better.  I'm not bashing the guy.
    All I'm saying is that Recchi looked slow and sloppy early in the past two seasons before this one as well, and picked it up as the season went along.  He was demoted to the fourth line in TB for a while early two seasons ago, and many people were expressing the same concerns that you are now this time a year ago.  I don't know if he paces himself differently early in the season, or if it just takes him a long time to find his rhythm after the summer break, but he has  a pattern of slow starts and strong finishes.

For what he brings to the team, I think that it is premature to write him off as done.  If he is still playing like an old man in February you have every right to say "I told you so."

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Recchi : All I'm saying is that Recchi looked slow and sloppy early in the past two seasons before this one as well, and picked it up as the season went along.  He was demoted to the fourth line in TB for a while early two seasons ago, and many people were expressing the same concerns that you are now this time a year ago.  I don't know if he paces himself differently early in the season, or if it just takes him a long time to find his rhythm after the summer break, but he has  a pattern of slow starts and strong finishes. For what he brings to the team, I think that it is premature to write him off as done.  If he is still playing like an old man in February you have every right to say "I told you so."
    Posted by Mutant211[/QUOTE]
    Rex is not here to be a scoring catalysts by any means. He's here to mentor the kids, he's here for his wealth of experience & knowledge & help the younger kids with their transformation & maturity of being a professional. You can have 23 Seguins on your team, without experience, they don't win anything. You can't teach talent, but you can teach how to use your talent more effectively.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from POWERSURGE. Show POWERSURGE's posts

Rex looked great on the powerplay at the point....

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Recchi : Just fyi, he didn't yell at Ovie. He ran him into the boards. The camera was following the play as the Bruins broke out of the zone, but you could just see Recchi clocking Ovechkin before heading for the bench. The worst player on the ice thursday night for the Bruins was probably David Krejci, but I'm not worried about him. Neither am I worried about Recchi. Funny how fans will sometimes see what they want or expect to see -- Wheeler, despite missing a couple of nets, played a solid game thursday night, but I've seen his play described as "brutal." I have a feeling that he and Hunwick could play flawlessly the rest of the season and still be blamed for everything from bad traffic to global warming.
    Posted by duinne[/QUOTE]

Man, this comes off as more than a little arrogant and condescending. 
    Like this one poster sees reality, while all of the other foolish masses aren't capable of interpreting their own thoughts and just see what they want to see.

It's amazing that you can start a post about Recchi saying "I love the guy and it is only 5 games into the season" followed by an observation that he hasn't been playing well, and you still get the cheerleader section here all whipped into a frenzy.

I think he hasn't been playing great, and given his age it is a concern to me.  It's just an observation and my concern is an opinion.  It is not what I want to see, as I want nothing more than for Recchi and the Bruins to succeed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from duinne. Show duinne's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Recchi : Man, this comes off as more than a little arrogant and condescending.  Like this one poster sees reality, while all of the other foolish masses aren't capable of interpreting their own thoughts and just see what they want to see. It's amazing that you can start a post about Recchi saying "I love the guy and it is only 5 games into the season" followed by an observation that he hasn't been playing well, and you still get the cheerleader section here all whipped into a frenzy. I think he hasn't been playing great, and given his age it is a concern to me.  It's just an observation and my concern is an opinion.  It is not what I want to see, as I want nothing more than for Recchi and the Bruins to succeed.

The comment wasn't in regard to Recchi, but to the tendency for some fans to designate a scapegoat (why, I have no idea) and point out everything said scapegoat does wrong. I find it irritating in the extreme. Hockey is a game filled with mistakes, and every player on the ice makes them. Many fans have already designated Hunwick and Wheeler as their whipping boys this season, and any time a puck bounces oddly off a stick and beats either one of them, it's going to be "OMG TRADE WHEELER/HUNWICK HE SUX!" even after something similar happens to say, Boychuk or Seguin. (The latter of which I've seen already, but of course, not a peep. The wrath is directed at the scapegoats.)

As for Recchi, as I said, he did the same thing last year. I also noted that his move to the point on the PP made a world of difference, and others have said his mentoring of kids like Seguin and Caron is invaluable. Perhaps others have become "frenzied" but I haven't. If, God forbid, Recchi finds himself falling further and further behind and realizes that he's hindering this team, I don't think he'll  hang around. But I don't think it's going to come to that.