Report: Flyers have verbal agreement for rights to Nabokov

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from OlsonicCreations. Show OlsonicCreations's posts

Report: Flyers have verbal agreement for rights to Nabokov

From the fellas @ pro-hockey talk... I thought the most interesting assumptions in the article was that the Sharks would be targeting Tim Thomas..hmmmm....

By Joe Yerdon

With the distinct lack of blockbuster trade action throughout the 2010 NHL Draft, it appears we'll have a little something to celebrate as sources are indicating that the Philadelphia Flyers have come to a verbal agreement with the San Jose Sharks to send the rights to goaltender Evgeni Nabokov to the Flyers as Tim Panaccio at CSNPhilly tells us.

According to league sources, the Flyers have a verbal agreement in place with the San Jose Sharks to fork over a seventh-round pick next season if they can sign San Jose's Evgeni Nabokov before July 1, when he becomes an unrestricted free agent.

Don Meehan, the agent who represents Nabokov, told CSNPhilly.com earlier that his client's no-trade clause is not an issue. San Jose obviously has given the Flyers permission to get a deal done and Meehan is willing to engage the Flyers ahead of July 1.

Late Saturday Meehan said it might not be "feasible" to get a deal done before July 1.

Obviously when you're only getting the rights to a player you run a risk of getting nothing on your return. If this report turns out to be true and the Flyers are only sacrificing a seventh-round pick next year to get a few days to hammer something out with Nabokov before he hits free agency, the Flyers have everything to gain and very little to lose. If they get him signed before he hits free agency, the Flyers lock down the first big time goalie the franchise has seen since their first go-round with Ron Hextall in the 1980s.

The Sharks, meanwhile, killed any potential leverage they had in making a deal for his rights by declaringthey were parting ways with Nabokov come July 1st no matter what. Whether they deal his rights or not doesn't matter to them since they're already eyeballing what will be available on July 1 or even sniffing around at Boston's Tim Thomas. The Sharks are in a good position, however, and unless they're thoroughly displeased with the free agent pack of goaltenders going after Thomas should be an absolute last resort.

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2010/06/report-flyers-reach-verbal-agreement-with-sharks-for-nabokovs-rights.php

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from TimThomas-god. Show TimThomas-god's posts

Re: Report: Flyers have verbal agreement for rights to Nabokov

I would definietly interested in a Thomas for Clowe/Setoguchi swap.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BTownExpress. Show BTownExpress's posts

If I were the Flyers- just missing the prize -I would pursue Nabokov, firstly.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from paulyboy. Show paulyboy's posts

Houston we have a problem..

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from OlsonicCreations. Show OlsonicCreations's posts

should be interesting, there is no guarantee the negotiations will work out

should be interseting

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from days-of-Orr. Show days-of-Orr's posts

apparently the Flyers didn't witness his playoff performance against the Hawks.... they could've waited until July 1st and saved themselves a pick....  there goes the most likely TT destination, and possibly the only one there was at the moment....

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from NumbaFouwer. Show NumbaFouwer's posts

For the Flyers from a contractural point of view, this makes more sense than going after Timmy (because of 35 and older contract). But every time I think of Nabakov, the thought choke in big games comes to mind.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from bs2010. Show bs2010's posts

I am suprised. When I read this afternoon that Thomas had waived his NTC I really though he would be on the Flyers by now. So much for that idea...

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from TimThomas-god. Show TimThomas-god's posts

In Response to Re: Report: Flyers have verbal agreement for rights to Nabokov:
    I am suprised. When I read this afternoon that Thomas had waived his NTC I really though he would be on the Flyers by now. So much for that idea...
    Posted by bs2010

Same with me.  Maybe he's willing to go to another team?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from days-of-Orr. Show days-of-Orr's posts

Nabokov will be 35 in less than a month....  i doubt very much he'll accept anything under 5 mil. per prior to July 1st....  Flyers would be wise to wait until then because i don't expect many teams to be interested in his services.... 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from huscroft28. Show huscroft28's posts

Posted by bs2010

At least one of the gorillas has left the building, regarding moving Thomas.  Now we wait and see if Chiarelli can work a deal - he'll need to bring in some salary to offset whatever the destination team will need to move to absorb Thomas' cap hit ($6M).  If it's the Flyers, can we have Pronger, please?  He's the puck-moving guy we need because everyone is afraid to go near him and most of the time he makes an intelligent first pass - pair him with Boychuk which keeps Seidenberg with Chara and Stuart with Ference.  Use Sobotka's $750,000 + raise to sign Alex Auld to back up Tuukka.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BattlingB. Show BattlingB's posts

One thing teams have to be careful about with Nabokov is that if he signs after he turns 35 then ALL the cap hit has to be honored. There are no "buyouts" etc. allowed for guys who retire, go the KHL, STINK, etc. for contracts signed after a guy turns 35....SO...whomever is interested better get him to sign before that birthday...at least then they'll have an out if things go south.

Also...just getting his rights means nada. The Flyers got Hamhuis' rights and couldn't make headway...they had to ship his rights to the Pens just to get a pick back (which was a solid move on their part, but points out that just owning one's rights doesn't mean it's a done deal by any stretch.)

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from xenimus. Show xenimus's posts

If I were the Flyers- just missing the prize -I would pursue Nabokov, firstly.
    Posted by BTownExpress

This does not make sense for the Flyers. Nabokov is believed to be looking around the $6.5mill/4yr deal mark. They are strapped to the salary cap and would have to unload a hefty contract starting with Jeff Carter and also possibly Scott Hartnell before they even attempt to make an offer.

Thomas, at $5mill, would work in a direct swap for a Gange. Flyers have already noted teams that the only un-touchables are Giroux and Richards.Thats a pretty bold statement considering studs like Brier and Pronger are top-end players.

I have a strange feeling that by the end of the week this team will have at least 2 new faces, one of which will be high end. I can very well see the possibility of Gange ending up in Boston. Despite reports, i would not hold out Kaberle as well.