Re: Rule changes
posted at 7/25/2010 9:56 AM EDT
Great topic, and one that I have put a lot of time thinking about.
These are in no order.
1. Mandatory visors. No head/face protection was fine before the curved sticks. There is no reason for these guys to be playing without better protection of their heads.
2. Smaller goalie equipment. They're working on it, but not fast enough. Look no further than Henrik Lundqvist and the half foot blockers he has attached to the top of his legs pads for evidence that goaltending in today's professional hockey is a sham.
3. No touch icing: I really don't find the excitement of watching a forward race to cancel the icing as enjoyable as the idea that no more Kurtis Foster injuries occur. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vRwAyABEVBE
4. Elimination of the staged fights. It's tough to put it into written law, but there has to be some way to get rid of this stupidity. Maybe the rule is that fights that occur within ten seconds of a faceoff earn instant ejections. Of course, that would lead to fights starting 11 seconds later. This one might be up to the GMs to just simply come together and say, "I won't employ one of those guys if you don't."
5. Speaking of fights, the do-se-do for 30 seconds also has to go. Rule change: If you drop your gloves, you must engage the other skater within 8 seconds or the linesmen simply step between the players and they both get double minors for intentional delay of game.
6. Eliminate the free icing rule for shorthanded teams. Make those penalites hurt.
7. Speaking of shorthanded play, make all penalties run the full length. Two minutes is two minutes. Power play team can score as many times as they can.
8. Arena music: Turn it the heck down. When you go to the game with friends, you don't want to talk during play. After the whistle, when you do try to talk, in some places (talking to you St. Pete Times Arena) you actually have to shout to the person next to you. Bring back the organ.
9. Composite sticks: Lose them. They're far too fragile for the game of hockey.
10. Hooking, holding, interference, obstruction: Call it. Every time.
11. Goalies: Leave the crease and you're fair play. You don't need that trapeziod stupidity if the goalie is worried about getting steamrolled for wandering. Want to play like a skater, Mr. Brodeur, we'll treat you like a skater.
12. Shootout: Get rid of it. Hockey is a team sport. An individual gets hauled down on a breakaway, he gets a penalty shot. A team plays to a tie, the team gets a tie.
13: Lucky 13 is my final change (for now): Eliminate the instigator rule. No better way to keep players safe. Let's be honest. The NHL brass want fighting in the game. They also want their star players protected. No instigator does both. Also, it gets rid of the "no fighting with less than five minutes left or else" rule.
Do all of this, and I present to you the greatest game on Earth...played properly.