Rule changes

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

Rule changes

What rule would you change that you think would improve the game ? Or any rules that you'd like to see added . Be creative or just tweak a rule .

I just read in The Hockey News a different idea that was a letter to the editor. With all the cap problems Chicago is having why not give a $5M exemption to the Stanley Cup champs for the following season ?  I know there is a CBA in place and it couldn't be done presently but I thought it was an interesting thought.
    Or how about changing the icing rule from the red line back to the blue lines. Would this open up the neutral zone ?
    Bigger nets ? Changing only on the fly ? Goalie equipment ? Playing the full two minutes shorthanded whether a PP goal is scored ? Shooting the puck over the glass in your own end ? Hand passes allowed in the neutral zone ? Mandatory visors grandfathered in ? Staged fights ? Whining about CJ and PC every chance you get....oops sorry wrong thread .
    It would be interesting to read some ideas that have never been discussed before but also to talk about existing rules that could possibly change as given in the paragraph above. I'm all for hearing about anything that might open up the game and create more offensive opportunities or just simpler rules. Any thoughts.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Espo72. Show Espo72's posts

Re: Rule changes

I've got three for you: No touch icing, remove the trapezoid and let the goalies play the puck again and remove the instigator rule and let the players police the game.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Great topic, and one that I have put a lot of time thinking about.

These are in no order.

1.  Mandatory visors.  No head/face protection was fine before the curved sticks.  There is no reason for these guys to be playing without better protection of their heads.

2.  Smaller goalie equipment.  They're working on it, but not fast enough.  Look no further than Henrik Lundqvist and the half foot blockers he has attached to the top of his legs pads for evidence that goaltending in today's professional hockey is a sham. 

3.  No touch icing:  I really don't find the excitement of watching a forward race to cancel the icing as enjoyable as the idea that no more Kurtis Foster injuries occur.  (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vRwAyABEVBE)

4.  Elimination of the staged fights.  It's tough to put it into written law, but there has to be some way to get rid of this stupidity.  Maybe the rule is that fights that occur within ten seconds of a faceoff earn instant ejections.  Of course, that would lead to fights starting 11 seconds later.  This one might be up to the GMs to just simply come together and say, "I won't employ one of those guys if you don't."

5.  Speaking of fights, the do-se-do for 30 seconds also has to go.  Rule change:  If you drop your gloves, you must engage the other skater within 8 seconds or the linesmen simply step between the players and they both get double minors for intentional delay of game.

6.  Eliminate the free icing rule for shorthanded teams.  Make those penalites hurt.

7.  Speaking of shorthanded play, make all penalties run the full length.  Two minutes is two minutes.  Power play team can score as many times as they can.

8.  Arena music:  Turn it the heck down.  When you go to the game with friends, you don't want to talk during play.  After the whistle, when you do try to talk, in some places (talking to you St. Pete Times Arena) you actually have to shout to the person next to you.  Bring back the organ.

9.  Composite sticks: Lose them.  They're far too fragile for the game of hockey.

10.  Hooking, holding, interference, obstruction:  Call it.  Every time. 

11.  Goalies:  Leave the crease and you're fair play.  You don't need that trapeziod stupidity if the goalie is worried about getting steamrolled for wandering.  Want to play like a skater, Mr. Brodeur, we'll treat you like a skater.

12.  Shootout:  Get rid of it.  Hockey is a team sport.  An individual gets hauled down on a breakaway, he gets a penalty shot.  A team plays to a tie, the team gets a tie.

13:  Lucky 13 is my final change (for now):  Eliminate the instigator rule.  No better way to keep players safe.  Let's be honest.  The NHL brass want fighting in the game.  They also want their star players protected.  No instigator does both.  Also, it gets rid of the "no fighting with less than five minutes left or else" rule. 

Do all of this, and I present to you the greatest game on Earth...played properly.

Thanks, Chowda!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Raskman. Show Raskman's posts

Giving the Stanley Cup Champion a cap relief is a stupid idea.  Now you allow the best team in the league to get even better.

I like the no touch icing.  Seeing it in international didn't bother me at all.  If it prevents injuries, then why not? 

I'd like to see 5 attempts in the shootout.  Three seems to make it too much of a coin flip.  That's if we have to have it.  I never minded seeing a tie.

I also like idea of getting rid of the trapezoid.

Instigator rule has gotta go.

Basically I'm with Espo72 plus one.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

In Response to Re: Rule changes:

2.  Smaller goalie equipment.  They're working on it, but not fast enough.  Look no further than Henrik Lundqvist and the half foot blockers he has attached to the top of his legs pads for evidence that goaltending in today's professional hockey is a sham.  Posted by Not-A-Shot

Actually this one is changing for next season.  Don't know what exactly though.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

Besides some of the obvious here the rule I like changed to go back like in the old days is on a penalty the team must play the full two minutes short handed.
    That was the Maurice Richard era . Did they change the rule because of him ? 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from scooter244. Show scooter244's posts

Three point games.  Regulation winner gets 3 pts.  Overtime or shootout winner gets two, OT loser gets one.  This will eliminate the artificially close standings, and also teams trapping the final 10 minutes for the single point. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Raskman. Show Raskman's posts

Three point games.  Regulation winner gets 3 pts.  Overtime or shootout winner gets two, OT loser gets one.  This will eliminate the artificially close standings, and also teams trapping the final 10 minutes for the single point. 
    Posted by scooter244

Yes!!  I've been a huge fan of that since the first time I heard it mentioned.  Trying to make up ground when you are down in the standings is an uphill battle with the present system.  I did read that the owners like the present system because it keeps everybody in it making the races tighter, but in my opinion it's frustrating seeing your team win a few games in a row and making up little ground on the teams they're chasing.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

no touch icing.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

Posted by scooter244

Of course !  Either way I hate the fact you lose but you get rewarded.  Mr Buttman likes the parity and will not have this changed.  He rants about it .
    On a marketing stand point (and I hate to admit it) along with the buzz it creates till the last game of the season Mr. Buttman is not totally wrong.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from MDsizzle. Show MDsizzle's posts

I disagree on a few of your suggestion nas.

Smaller goalie equip - already done, how much smaller do you want to go or can you go without compromising the goalies saftey? Pad height might need to be looked at though, ala Lundquist, I agree there. Great example, not allowing the flat knee protectors, like on the ice cap series pad, they say it cheats on the 5 hole. Hasek then takes a shot over the pad under the pants and was out for almost 2 months. Stupidity...

No Touch Icing, i'm 50/50. Not too sure I'm ready to sign up to remove hustle and slow down the game in this situation. How great of a play is it where the offense outskates the d for a scoring chance or goal.

Your #5 & staged fights - Seems pretty nitpickiny, what are we going to do, implement MMA rules when there is a fight or only allow fights that are deemed justified?? I'd love to see the wording in the rule book on that!! All I know is when the gloves are dropped, not a butt is in the seats. Even the meatheads that were not paying attention, are now, not that I really want to stick up for those type. 

Arena music - Will never be a hockey rule. Might be more appropriate to bring up in a thread called "Personal preferences when I go to the game".

Composite sticks - I am as frustrated as the next guy with this, but common sense tells me that all NHL players use these because the benefits outweigh the downsides, or they all would not use them. They will even be in NHL 2011!  Uugggh!

Shootout - Who wants to see a tie? Nobody. I'm all for revisiting the OT format 3 on 3 maybe to make it more of a team concept, but its alot like fighting, its very exciting, not a butt is in the seat and it gives finality to a regular season game that is great entertainment and in a timely fashion. Face it, when there were a couple of 10+ rounders did you watch or turn your TV off? Of course you watched and you some some pretty great goals and saves. When you go to a game and OT ends, would you rather walk out of the garden and be satisfied with a tie or watch Bergy, Savy, Krejci and TT/Rask try to win it for their team with the most exciting play in hockey? The shootout is a win win situation and is here to stay. The sport is not going to grow by dulling it down, should we bring back the 2 line offsides too?

The rest I agree with.   

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigvig. Show bigvig's posts

The shootout.  Ive NEVER heard from a real hockey fan that they liked the shootout.  Unfortunately, GB knows that the casual hockey fan enjoys it, so its here to stay.  Make teams WANT to win, there is still a tie now because you get a point for OT.  Only give points to the winner, a loss is a loss.  Wanna give everyone points, fine, go to a 3 point system.

Im on the fence with no touch icing.  NTI kinda seems like something in mites.  I cant stand college hockey because of it, I REALLY dont want to see it in the NHL.

Goalies:  Idealy Id like to see the crease brought back and the trapezoid gone.  Anyone in the crease for ANY reason, no goal.  Goalie leaves the crease, he's fair game.  That wont happen, so how about the trapezoid is turned around...in the sense that its the opposite of whats allowed today.  Cant play it behind the net but in the corners is OK.  Not having the goalie be able to go out and make a pass, especially on the PP is absolutely STUPID!!!!!  Still like to see the crease brought back.  Why is it painted if the goalie can be run over?????  I think the no goal, no penalty/penalty is so vague that it ruins a game every now and again.

GET RID OF THE INSTIGATOR RULE & 5min fighting penalty!!!!!!  Bettman is an idiot:  He is such a hypocrite on the fighting issue that he looks like a fool.  Fans LOVE the fighting.  It gets them in the game.  He is too worried what ESPN is saying the next day that he isnt listening to real fans.  Fighting is a 2 min penalty (but you must serve the full 2 minutes) and there is no instigator.  THAT SIMPLE!!!!!!!!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigjeezy. Show bigjeezy's posts

Instigator rule 

fighting a 2 minute penalty

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from MDsizzle. Show MDsizzle's posts

bigvig, you have NEVER heard from a real fan that likes the shootout...

Now you have!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigblue72. Show bigblue72's posts

I'd like to see play continue if the puck hits the net up behind the net and comes down somewhere on the ice. I see too many players down here in the AHL shoot the puck up there to stop play. If they shoot the puck over the glass along the side and it goes into the crowd, its a 2 minute delay of game penalty. Thats not the case if it hits the net.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from scooter244. Show scooter244's posts

bigvig, you have NEVER heard from a real fan that likes the shootout... Now you have!
    Posted by MDsizzle

When the shootout was first introduced I hated it.  As I watched more neutral games (not involving the B's) I grew to like it.  If I really don't care about the outcome it is fun to watch.  I find myself not wanting a goal scored in OT to get to it. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from MDsizzle. Show MDsizzle's posts

In Response to Re: Rule changes : When the shootout was first introduced I hated it.  As I watched more neutral games (not involving the B's) I grew to like it.  If I really don't care about the outcome it is fun to watch.  I find myself not wanting a goal scored in OT to get to it. 
    Posted by scooter244

It was the same for me, I have always been more of a "traditionalist" but after watching some I was hooked.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from MDsizzle. Show MDsizzle's posts

..and if they ever change the goal size I will become violently ill!

That will be right up there with the stupid glowing puck, who actually thought that crap would be a good idea??

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from duinne. Show duinne's posts

Agree with NAS on the shield. They should be mandatory. Both Johnny Boychuk (puck) and Michael Ryder (stick) took shots near their eyes in the past couple of years that came a fraction of an inch from blinding them. Hey, guys, you protect the jewels; protect your eyes too!

Get rid of the instigator, definitely.

Get rid of the automatic delay of game penalty for clearing the puck over the glass. The vast majority of the time it's unintentional; allow the referee to call it at his discretion.

Use replay to catch uncalled penalties that result in injury. I'm sick of seeing someone like Zdeno Chara gushing blood on the ice and no damn penalty being called. If there's blood, or a body lying on the ice, and nobody saw what happened, use replay.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

I disagree on a few of your suggestion nas. Smaller goalie equip - already done, how much smaller do you want to go or can you go without compromising the goalies saftey? Pad height might need to be looked at though, ala Lundquist, I agree there. Great example, not allowing the flat knee protectors, like on the ice cap series pad, they say it cheats on the 5 hole. Hasek then takes a shot over the pad under the pants and was out for almost 2 months. Stupidity... No Touch Icing, i'm 50/50. Not too sure I'm ready to sign up to remove hustle and slow down the game in this situation. How great of a play is it where the offense outskates the d for a scoring chance or goal. Your #5 & staged fights - Seems pretty nitpickiny, what are we going to do, implement MMA rules when there is a fight or only allow fights that are deemed justified?? I'd love to see the wording in the rule book on that!! All I know is when the gloves are dropped, not a butt is in the seats. Even the meatheads that were not paying attention, are now, not that I really want to stick up for those type.  Arena music - Will never be a hockey rule. Might be more appropriate to bring up in a thread called "Personal preferences when I go to the game". Composite sticks - I am as frustrated as the next guy with this, but common sense tells me that all NHL players use these because the benefits outweigh the downsides, or they all would not use them. They will even be in NHL 2011!  Uugggh! Shootout - Who wants to see a tie? Nobody. I'm all for revisiting the OT format 3 on 3 maybe to make it more of a team concept, but its alot like fighting, its very exciting, not a butt is in the seat and it gives finality to a regular season game that is great entertainment and in a timely fashion. Face it, when there were a couple of 10+ rounders did you watch or turn your TV off? Of course you watched and you some some pretty great goals and saves. When you go to a game and OT ends, would you rather walk out of the garden and be satisfied with a tie or watch Bergy, Savy, Krejci and TT/Rask try to win it for their team with the most exciting play in hockey? The shootout is a win win situation and is here to stay. The sport is not going to grow by dulling it down, should we bring back the 2 line offsides too? The rest I agree with.   
    Posted by MDsizzle

No Touch Icing, i'm 50/50. Not too sure I'm ready to sign up to remove hustle and slow down the game in this situation. How great of a play is it where the offense outskates the d for a scoring chance or goal.

Icing as it currently stands benefits the team that is trying to delay the game.  With the goalie pulled, the team that ices the puck gets to take a few seconds off the clock.  Those seconds really matter at that point in the game.  I've counted 4-5 seconds if the d is quick and as long as 11 seconds.

Removing hustle?  Most of the time it's a pretty leisurely skate back for the defenseman.

I don't see how it slows down the game in any way shape or form.  Explain.  Just the opposite, speeds the game up.  Especially when you DON'T have to scrape someone off the boards when they get cheap shotted on the touch up (see Phaneuf) or they get hurt (see Kurtis Foster broken leg, 25 minutes to pick up the pieces there) or they DIE (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lud%C4%9Bk_%C4%8Cajka), don't know how long it took to peel the DEAD GUY off the ice.

How often does the d get outskated on an icing for a scoring chance?  Very very rarely.  I think I've seen it once last season with the Bruins.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from watchtower. Show watchtower's posts

Great topic, and one that I have put a lot of time thinking about. These are in no order. 1.  Mandatory visors.  No head/face protection was fine before the curved sticks.  There is no reason for these guys to be playing without better protection of their heads. 2.  Smaller goalie equipment.  They're working on it, but not fast enough.  Look no further than Henrik Lundqvist and the half foot blockers he has attached to the top of his legs pads for evidence that goaltending in today's professional hockey is a sham.  3.  No touch icing:  I really don't find the excitement of watching a forward race to cancel the icing as enjoyable as the idea that no more Kurtis Foster injuries occur.  ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vRwAyABEVBE ) 4.  Elimination of the staged fights.  It's tough to put it into written law, but there has to be some way to get rid of this stupidity.  Maybe the rule is that fights that occur within ten seconds of a faceoff earn instant ejections.  Of course, that would lead to fights starting 11 seconds later.  This one might be up to the GMs to just simply come together and say, "I won't employ one of those guys if you don't." 5.  Speaking of fights, the do-se-do for 30 seconds also has to go.  Rule change:  If you drop your gloves, you must engage the other skater within 8 seconds or the linesmen simply step between the players and they both get double minors for intentional delay of game. 6.  Eliminate the free icing rule for shorthanded teams.  Make those penalites hurt. 7.  Speaking of shorthanded play, make all penalties run the full length.  Two minutes is two minutes.  Power play team can score as many times as they can. 8.  Arena music:  Turn it the heck down.  When you go to the game with friends, you don't want to talk during play.  After the whistle, when you do try to talk, in some places (talking to you St. Pete Times Arena) you actually have to shout to the person next to you.  Bring back the organ. 9.  Composite sticks: Lose them.  They're far too fragile for the game of hockey. 10.  Hooking, holding, interference, obstruction:  Call it.  Every time.  11.  Goalies:  Leave the crease and you're fair play.  You don't need that trapeziod stupidity if the goalie is worried about getting steamrolled for wandering.  Want to play like a skater, Mr. Brodeur, we'll treat you like a skater. 12.  Shootout:  Get rid of it.  Hockey is a team sport.  An individual gets hauled down on a breakaway, he gets a penalty shot.  A team plays to a tie, the team gets a tie. 13:  Lucky 13 is my final change (for now):  Eliminate the instigator rule.  No better way to keep players safe.  Let's be honest.  The NHL brass want fighting in the game.  They also want their star players protected.  No instigator does both.  Also, it gets rid of the "no fighting with less than five minutes left or else" rule.  Do all of this, and I present to you the greatest game on Earth...played properly. Thanks, Chowda!
    Posted by Not-A-Shot

I agree wholeheartedly with every point listed. I shared the same sentiment on several and appreciate your insight on others.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from TomOBrien. Show TomOBrien's posts

I only disagree with 1 and 3...I know thia is going to sound rediculous, but just turn the clock back to the early 70's rules...I think the more the rules change the more the heart and soul of hockey is ripped out...
    Great topic, and one that I have put a lot of time thinking about. These are in no order. 1.  Mandatory visors.  No head/face protection was fine before the curved sticks.  There is no reason for these guys to be playing without better protection of their heads. 2.  Smaller goalie equipment.  They're working on it, but not fast enough.  Look no further than Henrik Lundqvist and the half foot blockers he has attached to the top of his legs pads for evidence that goaltending in today's professional hockey is a sham.  3.  No touch icing:  I really don't find the excitement of watching a forward race to cancel the icing as enjoyable as the idea that no more Kurtis Foster injuries occur.  ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vRwAyABEVBE ) 4.  Elimination of the staged fights.  It's tough to put it into written law, but there has to be some way to get rid of this stupidity.  Maybe the rule is that fights that occur within ten seconds of a faceoff earn instant ejections.  Of course, that would lead to fights starting 11 seconds later.  This one might be up to the GMs to just simply come together and say, "I won't employ one of those guys if you don't." 5.  Speaking of fights, the do-se-do for 30 seconds also has to go.  Rule change:  If you drop your gloves, you must engage the other skater within 8 seconds or the linesmen simply step between the players and they both get double minors for intentional delay of game. 6.  Eliminate the free icing rule for shorthanded teams.  Make those penalites hurt. 7.  Speaking of shorthanded play, make all penalties run the full length.  Two minutes is two minutes.  Power play team can score as many times as they can. 8.  Arena music:  Turn it the heck down.  When you go to the game with friends, you don't want to talk during play.  After the whistle, when you do try to talk, in some places (talking to you St. Pete Times Arena) you actually have to shout to the person next to you.  Bring back the organ. 9.  Composite sticks: Lose them.  They're far too fragile for the game of hockey. 10.  Hooking, holding, interference, obstruction:  Call it.  Every time.  11.  Goalies:  Leave the crease and you're fair play.  You don't need that trapeziod stupidity if the goalie is worried about getting steamrolled for wandering.  Want to play like a skater, Mr. Brodeur, we'll treat you like a skater. 12.  Shootout:  Get rid of it.  Hockey is a team sport.  An individual gets hauled down on a breakaway, he gets a penalty shot.  A team plays to a tie, the team gets a tie. 13:  Lucky 13 is my final change (for now):  Eliminate the instigator rule.  No better way to keep players safe.  Let's be honest.  The NHL brass want fighting in the game.  They also want their star players protected.  No instigator does both.  Also, it gets rid of the "no fighting with less than five minutes left or else" rule.  Do all of this, and I present to you the greatest game on Earth...played properly. Thanks, Chowda!
    Posted by Not-A-Shot

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

Make it illegal for anouncers to play a canned "wooo" after goals.

How about just a teaspoon of dignity, just a tea spoon?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from duinne. Show duinne's posts

I only disagree with 1 and 3...I know thia is going to sound rediculous, but just turn the clock back to the early 70's rules...I think the more the rules change the more the heart and soul of hockey is ripped out... In Response to Re: Rule changes :
    Posted by TomOBrien

I have to ask, why would you advocate for no visors?

Boychuk said a centimeter's difference on that shot he took off his orbital bone and he would have lost his eye. How anyone can be against visors is to me incomprehensible.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

Posted by Not-A-Shot

Wow NAS you have put a lot of thought in on this topic. Nice ! The only ones I don't agree with is the shootout and fair game for the goalies. I've always hated ties and watched them since the early 60's until they changed it . Way more entertaining finish to a game for me. And I felt at one time the goalies should be fair game if they left the crease but have changed my mind on that one ( started playing goalie the odd time as a fill inabout 15 years ago). I just think by running the goalie it would cause more problems ( fights and injuries to the goalies). I would rather see these goalies on the ice then sitting in the press box injured . All your other ideas are great IMO.