Satisfy my Curiosity

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mikeonetwo. Show Mikeonetwo's posts

Satisfy my Curiosity

Regarding our cap situation, we are over by roughly 3mil (the accuracy of this number isn't important to me).  Does that include Sturms contract? 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrCC. Show DrCC's posts

Re: Satisfy my Curiosity

If you are referring to what capgeek shows, yes.  Keep in mind though - Sturm on LTIR to start the season will make the Bruins cap compliant, but not only will something have to give when he gets healthy, the Bruins will not accrue any saved cap space for the purpose of later-season acquisitions until their cap hit (without bonuses) is below the Upper Limit.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from scooter244. Show scooter244's posts

In Response to Re: Satisfy my Curiosity:
    [QUOTE]If you are referring to what capgeek shows, yes.  Keep in mind though - Sturm on LTIR to start the season will make the Bruins cap compliant, but not only will something have to give when he gets healthy, the Bruins will not accrue any saved cap space for the purpose of later-season acquisitions until their cap hit (without bonuses) is below the Upper Limit.
    Posted by DrCC[/QUOTE]

Are you saying that the $500,000 or so they are under without Sturm's cap# can't be used?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mikeonetwo. Show Mikeonetwo's posts

Thanks DrCC.  Thats what I was after!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

No, not exactly.  I believe what the Dr. means is that usually when a player goes on LTIR it saves the team money against the cap.  So Sturm missing 20 games would give them about $850K in saved cap space to use later in the season (Cap compliance really only uses full salaries for roster players at the very beginning of the year when salaries are committed but not yet paid).  That doesn't help here because Sturm's entire salary is off the books already - so no extra space is accruing.  They can still use that ~$500K if necessary, but that will only make it more difficult to be compliant when Sturm is ready to come off of IR.

Right now, it's a pretty simple equation - the Bruins need $3.5M in annual salary terms to add Sturm to the roster.  They have the $.5M, roughly, so they need to shed $3M.  This will get a bit more complicated as time goes on.  The obvious solution remains the simplest: move Ryder.  Send him down, trade him, whatever.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrCC. Show DrCC's posts

The way it works (as I understand it):
    Without injured player you have $2M in cap space.
    Player has a $3M contract.
    LTIR allows you to add a player with a cap hit of at most $3M.  The first $2M of that salary counts towards the Averaged Club Salary.  This team would be cap compliant with a full payroll, while exceeding the limit by $1M by using the injury allowance.

This is a really horrible example, of course, since the cap hit is a day-to-day thing, but I think it illustrates what I was getting at - that replacement player cap hits first apply to the team's payroll directly before cap-exceeding allowance is given.

This is mentioned in the General Illustration on page 227 of the CBA.

Edit: To clarify, what I was referring to in my original post is the so-called "pro rating" of contracts at the trade deadline.  What really happens is that a team with $1M cap space to start the season for a 100 day season actually has $10,000 in cap space per day.  Seventy-five days into the season, the team would have $750,000 in cap space saved-up, which could be used over the final 25 days (with the $250,000 they would have anyways) on a player making $40,000 a day - the equivalent of $4M a year.  If I am understanding this right, the Bruins would not be saving up any cap space until something gets cleared.

If you like the team as it is, this is not a problem.  It could tie Chiarelli's hands at the trade deadline, though.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

My turn.
    Satisfy my curiosity.

here is "the" sign in the Bruins weight room.

http://twitpic.com/2nrd1j

I see "work hard"
    but there is more, from what I see "d work hard at"

So what's the sign say in the Bruins weight room?
    Vanna - can I buy a letter?
    Phyllis Kessel, sorry you can't help me, you've never been in that room either.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

[QUOTE]My turn. Satisfy my curiosity. here is "the" sign in the Bruins weight room. http://twitpic.com/2nrd1j I see "work hard" but there is more, from what I see "d work hard at" So what's the sign say in the Bruins weight room? Vanna - can I buy a letter? Phyllis Kessel, sorry you can't help me, you've never been in that room either.
    Posted by BadHabitude[/QUOTE]

probably "hard hard work at ....." then your guess is good as mine

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mannyortez3424. Show mannyortez3424's posts

[QUOTE]My turn. Satisfy my curiosity. here is "the" sign in the Bruins weight room. http://twitpic.com/2nrd1j I see "work hard" but there is more, from what I see "d work hard at" So what's the sign say in the Bruins weight room? Vanna - can I buy a letter? Phyllis Kessel, sorry you can't help me, you've never been in that room either.
    Posted by BadHabitude[/QUOTE]

The last word could be attitude...like "work hard attitude" but I have no clue for sure...

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

[QUOTE]The way it works (as I understand it): Without injured player you have $2M in cap space. Player has a $3M contract. LTIR allows you to add a player with a cap hit of at most $3M.  The first $2M of that salary counts towards the Averaged Club Salary.   This team would be cap compliant with a full payroll, while exceeding the limit by $1M by using the injury allowance. This is a really horrible example, of course, since the cap hit is a day-to-day thing, but I think it illustrates what I was getting at - that replacement player cap hits first apply to the team's payroll directly before cap-exceeding allowance is given. This is mentioned in the General Illustration on page 227 of the CBA . Edit: To clarify, what I was referring to in my original post is the so-called "pro rating" of contracts at the trade deadline.  What really happens is that a team with $1M cap space to start the season for a 100 day season actually has $10,000 in cap space per day.  Seventy-five days into the season, the team would have $750,000 in cap space saved-up, which could be used over the final 25 days (with the $250,000 they would have anyways) on a player making $40,000 a day - the equivalent of $4M a year.  If I am understanding this right, the Bruins would not be saving up any cap space until something gets cleared. If you like the team as it is, this is not a problem.  It could tie Chiarelli's hands at the trade deadline, though.
    Posted by DrCC[/QUOTE]

Dr,
    this is correct, but also incorrect, you can replace the injured player with a player/players who earn what he earns, but you can also spend the 2m.. You will carry a cap hit that is 3m over, but you will be allowed to, due to an exception in the CBA that allows you to exceed the cap by said players salary.

So you are correct in we wont be saving any space, but at the end of the year will be permitted to have exceeded the cap by sturms exception amount, we wont have the "extra" savigns to spend, but we will not be in violation of the cap, we are not getting the savings you speak of we are getting a daily exception for exceeding the cap, if that makes any sense..

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrCC. Show DrCC's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Satisfy my Curiosity : Dr, this is correct, but also incorrect, you can replace the injured player with a player/players who earn what he earns, but you can also spend the 2m.. You will carry a cap hit that is 3m over, but you will be allowed to, due to an exception in the CBA that allows you to exceed the cap by said players salary. So you are correct in we wont be saving any space, but at the end of the year will be permitted to have exceeded the cap by sturms exception amount, we wont have the "extra" savigns to spend, but we will not be in violation of the cap, we are not getting the savings you speak of we are getting a daily exception for exceeding the cap, if that makes any sense..
    Posted by rolerhoky19[/QUOTE]
    I guess I didn't word it well, we are agreeing.  They can use the space on a player in a going-forward way - but in my example that would mean adding a player with a yearly salary of only $1M (at any point in the year), rather than a rental with a yearly salary of $4M at the deadline.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

yeah we were completely agreeing, the LTIR relief does not put the bruins in a good spot, it puts them as being compliant.