SEGUIN VS KESSEL

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from hockey-101. Show hockey-101's posts

SEGUIN VS KESSEL

I think Kessel was a lot faster in his Dev camp than Seguin in his Dev camp.Seguin had a better eye for the net though.I dont know if anyone of you has seen the difference in speed from the Dev camp to the pro camp but it is big.Kessel came and fit in,was not sent down, because of his speed,not because of his hitting.The first thing you need to be able to do is keep up.Speed buys you credibility and opportunity out there.If Tyler notices a big speed difference he could be in for a rude awakining.I say put him with the best Bruins you can find and dont run any risk of ruining JJs ticket sales for October.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from bruins8. Show bruins8's posts

Re: SEGUIN VS KESSEL

way to early to tell....at seguins stage....that being said despite kessel's shortcomings  def liability, bad teammate, alot of money, etc etc he is a very solid player...he has 1 thing u cant teach SPEED and has skill to go along w it....deadly combo...30 goals in 70 games coming off major injury w no true center thats production my friends...while seguin from all accounts may end up being the better player...today kessel is...it was a terrible move by the bs letting this kid go...luckily we ended up w a promising player in return...but is anyone besides myself tired of waiting for these kids to devleop...the team is built for cup run now...trading a 22 yr old 40 goal scorer is just crazy....even if it means getting seguin...which was by default w got him..but does anyone really think seguin will consistently be a 40 goal guy? even if he was its not this year or next..so again i ask arnt u tired of waiting?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from stillallbost08. Show stillallbost08's posts

In Response to Re: SEGUIN VS KESSEL:
    way to early to tell....at seguins stage....that being said despite kessel's shortcomings  def liability, bad teammate, alot of money, etc etc he is a very solid player...he has 1 thing u cant teach SPEED and has skill to go along w it....deadly combo...30 goals in 70 games coming off major injury w no true center thats production my friends...while seguin from all accounts may end up being the better player...today kessel is...it was a terrible move by the bs letting this kid go...luckily we ended up w a promising player in return...but is anyone besides myself tired of waiting for these kids to devleop...the team is built for cup run now...trading a 22 yr old 40 goal scorer is just crazy....even if it means getting seguin...which was by default w got him..but does anyone really think seguin will consistently be a 40 goal guy? even if he was its not this year or next..so again i ask arnt u tired of waiting?
    Posted by bruins8

I've looked and looked and still can't find this 40 goal scorer that the b's traded away.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from bruins8. Show bruins8's posts

kessel number 5 pick overall  i guess i learnt 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from TuukkainNet. Show TuukkainNet's posts

This is a ridiculous post...IMO.  Seguin will be on the team..not because he was the number 2 pick, not because he sells tickets, but because he has the talent/ability.  

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BruinsYear. Show BruinsYear's posts

Kessel was an @ssclown. It's obvious he is not a team player and has a poor work ethic.

Not a guy you want to build a team around.

Trading him and getting what we got in return was the best move the bruins have made in years.

Seguin's maturity is far beyond what kessels was at this age also...

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Yes there will be a "Seguin vs. Kessel rookie year point comparison tracker".

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from bim09. Show bim09's posts

Woot!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from dc-bruins-fan. Show dc-bruins-fan's posts

Kessel is a premiere talent, but character goes a long way and from all the reports I've read, the guy has significant character issues...which is why the B's got him at 5 anyway...every scout at the time acknowledged his wicked skill-set but 4 teams passed on that for something else:

Erik Johnson- Size, toughness, puck moving ability
    Staal- Size, toughness, family history
    Toews- Leadership, hockey sense, scoring ability
    Backstrom- Character and vision
    Kessel- Speed and skill

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from hockey-101. Show hockey-101's posts

Seguin works out in a gym; Kessel works out with Don Koharski at Stan Makita's Donut Shop.  Seguin wants to be a Bruin, Kessel did not.  Seguin is a polished speaker, Kessel might speak Polish...can't tell through all his mumbling. Those are the biggest differences I see so far. Pretty certain that time will show that the B's raped the Leafs on this trade but until Seguin, Knight, and next year's top 10 pick are in the lineup we're all wasting time debating this topic.  Next.
    Posted by Drewinab

"The Bs raped the Leafs" Comments like that is why posts will go on for some time to come.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from JWensink. Show JWensink's posts

kessel number 5 pick overall  i guess i learnt 
    Posted by bruins8

Now that's funny - ha

Truth is it will be a while before anyone can make a comparison. Kessel wasn't asked to play center- so it won't be until Seguin moves back where he belongs before you can pass judgement.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

oh dear lord, this is starting already?
    Posted by pbergeron37

Actually overdue.  There's a lot we know already.  Although it is comparing apples to... smaller apples, there is a comparison they can be made. 

I'm not going to predict how Seguin's NHL career will go, of course I don't know that.  I'm going to try and compare what we have "out of the box".

Physical fitness and dedication.
    Seguin is dedicated to working out, adding 7 lbs of muscle from memorial cup to combine is quite an accomplishment.
    We know Kessel laughed at CJ when he suggested he hit the weight room.

Creativity on the ice.
    I've only seen Kessel do something creative once, a clever pass when he had the shot for a goal with the Leafs.  One of the most predictable players in the NHL.  Also true that it doesn't matter because he is so fast there's not much you can do about it, but Kessel would be much more effective if he were more creative.  Seguin is quite creative on the ice.

Intelligence.
    Yes, it matters.  At the elite levels of the NHL, the best of the best are smarter.  Doesn't mean that they went to college or not, it means they make better decisions and can evaluate situations better.  You can see this in an interview, can they think on their feet quickly enough to have a come back?  Seguin interviews much better and has had some good come backs.  Kessel interviews horribly and seems really slow upstairs.

Coachability.
    No, I haven't been there in person, but there is a ton of ancillary evidence that Kessel - at best - follow the direction of coaching.  Wilson called him out 'publicly' by making sure he was overheard when the press was at practice, see the interaction in the games and it is evident to me there's a problem there.  All the word about Seguin is that he is ultimately coachable.  Finally the famous quote of Kessel not backchecking, 'so what, I'll score a goal and make up for it.'

Maturity.
    Seguin is already more mature.  Not once anywhere, NEVER have I heard anyone say 'yah, that was a stupid thing, but come on, give him a break, he's only 18.'  And meanwhile I've heard about kessel, 'come on he's still a young kid at 22, give him a break' - heard that a billion times.

Likeability.
    I believe players who are more likeable tend to over achieve.  O'Reilly is a perfect example.  This could be a chicken and egg kind of thing, but it sure seems that way to me.  Of course its not 100% true, there have been great players who are universally known as jerks, but its generally true.  Seguin, very likeable.

Playing pattern and stepping it up.
    Since college Kessel has not changed his style of play.  Seguin has changed considerably, he was asked to shoot more and his goal production went up.

Motivation.
    Kessel plays his best when you light a fire beneath his posterior.  In that losing series against the Habs, sitting him was what got him going.  He never would have produced like that if he didn't get benched.  Seguin sets goals and achieves them, like the combine.

Talk of Seguin being a future captain, never have I heard of that about Kessel.
    Love to hear Seguin say, 'hey, I've got to make the team first' when asked about his future in the NHL.  Shows me that he has his priorities straight, achieve the first goal before moving to the second, shows me focus.  Never heard of Seguin being disliked in the locker room, always heard that about Kessel dating back to college.

Character - do I even have to bother with the details?

Physically Kessel hit the NHL already mature, Seguin is not physically mature yet, it will be interesting to see how much more he grows.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from bruins8. Show bruins8's posts

talk to me when seguin scores 36

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from OlsonicCreations. Show OlsonicCreations's posts

I have a feeling this debate is going to be over very soon.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

talk to me when seguin scores 36
    Posted by bruins8

I take your point, and I believe I addressed that.

You're tired of waiting, sure.  You can be as tired as you want, but the Stanley Cup final isn't happening today.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jaden. Show Jaden's posts

Tyler Seguin is going to make everyone forget the name Kessel. I also believe that he's a little pissed that he wasn't drafted first and has something to prove. When this kid is around 22-23 yrs.old he's going to be one of the elite players in this league. BadHabitude said it best, this kid has it all including what I think is the most important attribute: intelligence.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

I have a feeling this debate is going to be over very soon.
    Posted by OlsonicCreations

No, never.
    First; let's see if we get a top pick for Kessel.

Next; let's see if we get a top 5 pick for Kessel.

Next; let's see if he scores more than Kessel, he hasn't played yet.

Prediction;
    And so on and so on and so on all boiling down to their careers have to end before we can fairly compare them.  And even then it will be "Kessel would have been better if..."

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from bruins8. Show bruins8's posts

bring back wideman!   had to change things up lol!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

Oh, actually one important factor I forgot to mention.  When Kessel was 18 he stayed in college, people questioned his "NHL readiness".

And it was a question when he went pro at 19 - actually almost 20.

Seguin's "NHL readiness" is being questioned now when he's 18 - and with a January birthday he'll be 19 in 2011.

With Kessel "NHL readiness" meant should he be in he NHL.
    With Seguin "NHL readiness" is referring to how comfortable he will be in the NHL and how much of an impact he will make in his first year.

On this NHL count, Seguin wins hands down.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from hockey-101. Show hockey-101's posts

Seguin has a good cerebral brain ( a good talker and sees the ice well,net well) But these could be issues.1) His physical frame is still small.2) his speed is good not great.If he cant get past these issues in the NHL, his cerebral brain  takes over and actually hurts him.That is why these cerebral kids are sent down to minors and never make it back.I think hall was #1 because of his go first think later brain.Kessel maybee not the brightest bulb but his legs were always on,even if his brain and common sense was not.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Blackmale. Show Blackmale's posts

Kessel scored 30 goals, yes. He also makes 5 million bucks and didn'twant to play here. Seguin could make up to (but probably not quite) 3.75 million. Say he scores 20 goals and ends up making somewhere in the mid to high 2 million range. That makes him a better value than Kessel. Plus, he seems like a determined, hard working player who wants to earn every second of playing time rather than being handed everything. Can you say that about Kessel?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from stillallbost08. Show stillallbost08's posts

given ice time/health, seguin will top the amount of points and goals kessel got in his 1st season. (11g 18a 29 pts) He will probably top kessels 2nd season also. 19g 18a 37 pts

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Seguin's already bigger than Kessel - PK's 6' 189, TS is 6'1" and over 190.

I've never heard anyone question Seguin's speed.

Cerebral also means capable of learning quickly.  Lucic stuck in his first attempt, and his speed only mattered in that he could keep up.  Seguin is a better, faster skater than Lucic was or is.  But like Lucic, he learns quickly, listens attentively, and executes what he's asked to do to the best of his ability.

Kessel, on the other hand, definitely benefits from not having to think.  Being creative on the ice would mean thinking quickly and making good decisions.  Kessel makes one decision - try to skate through the entire team then shoot!  Outside-in toe drag!  Go!  If he didn't have that speed or that release, he's be looking for work.  I'm going to guess  that his career as a top line threat is over by the time he's 27 because a) he doesn't take good enough care of himself and b) by then, the toll of playing in the NHL will diminish his speed and release enough that he's no longer able to go to the same well over and over again.  He won't be done done, but no one will predict 40 goal seasons for him.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrbruin4. Show mrbruin4's posts

[QUOTE]kessel number 5 pick overall  i guess i learnt 
    Posted by bruins8[/QUOTE]

CHEER FOR THE LEAFS  

KESSEL IS ONE SELFISH PLAYER AND THE BRUINS ARE BETTER OFF WITHOUT HIM

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

[QUOTE]Seguin's already bigger than Kessel - PK's 6' 189, TS is 6'1" and over 190. I've never heard anyone question Seguin's speed. Cerebral also means capable of learning quickly.  Lucic stuck in his first attempt, and his speed only mattered in that he could keep up.  Seguin is a better, faster skater than Lucic was or is.  But like Lucic, he learns quickly, listens attentively, and executes what he's asked to do to the best of his ability. Kessel, on the other hand, definitely benefits from not having to think.  Being creative on the ice would mean thinking quickly and making good decisions.  Kessel makes one decision - try to skate through the entire team then shoot!  Outside-in toe drag!  Go!  If he didn't have that speed or that release, he's be looking for work.  I'm going to guess  that his career as a top line threat is over by the time he's 27 because a) he doesn't take good enough care of himself and b) by then, the toll of playing in the NHL will diminish his speed and release enough that he's no longer able to go to the same well over and over again.  He won't be done done, but no one will predict 40 goal seasons for him.
    Posted by Bookboy007[/QUOTE]

Only one thing in PK's defense - sort of - he might go beyond 27, might be 33 - might be sooner, but your point is valid, once the speed is gone, so is he.

Without the examples that I'm too lazy to look up because their names escape me, the speedsters can disappear from the NHL in a heartbeat (Italian last name, played for Bruins, from MA, won AHL fastest skater competition).

Basically its the law of nature, its Darwinism.  The cheetah is extremely fast and it has a limited species of prey, it's jaws fit around the throat of the Thompson's gazelle perfectly.  Those gazelles are gone, so is the cheetah.  The more adaptable survive because they adapt.