Shanny...is he a good fit?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from xenimus. Show xenimus's posts

I say he is regarldess of the Bruins' current hot streak. Having a future hall of famer veteran ( not to mention his stanley cup resume) is never a bad thing to have on a generally young team like the Bruins. Some of you might look at it as un-neccessary and most part due to the Bruins most recent success over the last two weeks. Other than the Islanders & Kings the NHL balance for playoff contention is pretty even and balance of power can swing either direction each week. Yes, he is 39 years old but the guy has a superior resume and can help the team keep it's competitive edge. He would greatly benefit Wheeler, Lucic, Kessel and even Bergeron the great himself. These kids are already ahead of the curb so why not. Many fans may also be worry about "team chemistry", sorry but i don't see Shanny being of any distrubance to the Bruins locker room, i'm pretty sure he would be very welcomed. Shanny can also provide help on the powerplay, have the young guns feed-off his hockey IQ. Is he going to bring us a cup? maybe not but i do believe he makes the team better.

Obviously you cannot just go out there and sign Shanny. So who do we let go? Is Manny Fernandez on the move to Philly or New Jersey? Is PJ heading to the waiver-wire?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Orrthebest. Show Orrthebest's posts

The last thing we need right now is another top 9 forward we already have 10, 11 if you include Norki. Unless we trade a couple of our forwards to improve our D there is no room or cap space.

It is not worth messing with the team to sign him.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from abra-cadaver. Show abra-cadaver's posts

Sure, he probably would be an upgrade to Axellson, but I don't see him signing for any less than 3 or 4 mil. Boston could'nt afford him under the cap. I'd rather keep Axe for half the salary and save the little cap room we have to make a deal for a defensmen later in the year.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Olsonic. Show Olsonic's posts

[Quote]Sure, he probably would be an upgrade to Axellson, but I don't see him signing for any less than 3 or 4 mil. Boston could'nt afford him under the cap. I'd rather keep Axe for half the salary and save the little cap room we have to make a deal for a defensmen later in the year.[/Quote]

aggreed, I would rather have a defensemen

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from dhitch. Show dhitch's posts

He wasnt asking if you'd like to have a defenseman, he simply asked if Shanahan would be a good idea...and he's right, he would.

Shanahan makes any team a better team, he's an asset, but one few current successful teams could afford..that includes Boston. Most likely he would end up in Chicago where they have more squeeze room and money that can come off the books with Khabibulin and Havlats tenure sure to end soon.

If Boston had of sat still and not obtained Ryder.....I would suggest Shanahan could be a Bruin right now. His role as a responsible shot on the PP alone would make him a replacement to Ryder.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mybruins. Show mybruins's posts

tough choice and great guy but I would pass. Ryder is 26 - Shanahan is 39 - I'll take the potential that Ryder has right now. Also have young guys in providence I'd like to see in Boston. Lets get some roster rooom and cap room to keep our young guys getting better. I am ok counting on the veteran leadership that is already on-board. Remember Brian Leech - another great guy with veteran leadership - I always thought that move was a bust for Boston.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from duinne. Show duinne's posts

Sign Shanahan, and you've got to sit Nokkie; he can't go to Providence. And you've already got Sobotka playing in the AHL. If the Bruins wanted an expensive, over-the-hill veteran, they could have kept Murray. Pass.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from PianosAreFun. Show PianosAreFun's posts

The problem with this idea is, as duinne brought up, who do you sit for Shanahan to play?

Wouldn't the B's younger players benefit more from playing their own NHL minutes, rather than watching Shanahan in their place?