So what team is the most improved in the East? and which scares you the most?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

So what team is the most improved in the East? and which scares you the most?

I'm going to say Tampa is the most improved and the team that scares me the most ,  Pittsburgh. No matter where Kovalchuk finally plays in.
    Some might say the scariest team would be Washington but once again their goalie situation will be their Achilles heel again.
    As for Bruins I think they will scare many teams this season.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from screw-cindy-and-ovie. Show screw-cindy-and-ovie's posts

Re: So what teams is the most improved in the East? and scares you the most?

Washington doesnt scare me. They did nothing to fix their flaws last year. Expect another early exit out of them. As much as I hate Pittsburgh, their Defense looks top notch. I think Z.Michalek is one of the more underrated D men in the league. Stevie Y is doing a hell of a job down in Tampa. They could possibly be legit cup contenders within 2-3 years. Philly's D looks even scarier than before. They basically replace Parent/Krajicek/Bartulis with Meszaros/O'Donnell/Walker. They should be top 4 in the east, despite their shaky goaltending. NJ will be themselves, finishing between 2-4. I think the Bruins finish anywhere from 2-6. I think the one team that could surprise people and sneak into the playoffs is Atlanta. New coaching staff plus added players from the Chicago house clean. I hate Montreal, but I think PK Subban will win or at least get nominated for the calder. I think Florida will be alot better. The Leafs will be the Leafs. I think John Tavares will have a big year, somewhere around 40 goals. I think NYI will be better. Buffalo could be worse.

Is it October yet?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from duinne. Show duinne's posts

Re: So what team is the most improved in the East? and which scares you the most?

Well, considering there is still an approximate metric ton of FAs out there, and more trades to come, this is a bit premature. Revisit in a month.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Re: So what team is the most improved in the East? and which scares you the most?

New Jersey Devils are going to keep Kovalchuk IMO plus they added some heavy lumber on the Dline. Volchenkov and Tallinder were real solid adds. Hedberg me thinks will get more starts than most fans might think I mean 2.62 GAA with the Thrashers ? Pretty darn good

Another reason the Devils willl make a serious run Parise wants to be able to say "Show me the Money!" Contract year and all he will be able to do so. Lamoriello has once again put the Devils in a good position and I despise his expertise LoL!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from No4BobbyOrr-GOAT. Show No4BobbyOrr-GOAT's posts

Boston
     and
    Boston

ISLA
    Hopefully when we meet the enemy he is not us.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

In Response to So what team is the most improved in the East? and which scares you the most?:
    I'm going to say Tampa is the most improved and the team that scares me the most ,  Pittsburgh. No matter where Kovalchuk finally plays in. Some might say the scariest team would be Washington but once again their goalie situation will be their Achilles heel again. As for Bruins I think they will scare many teams this season.
    Posted by BsLegion

I was just thinking about this today, you must have read my mind.

Hurricanes will easily be the most improved in the East.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

By improved - meaning moving up the most spots in the standings?
    Philly - I think a reach to move up 4 spots, they over achieved in the playoffs, 3 spots more likely.
    Tampa and Canes I think can move up 4 spots.

Who scares me the most.  Easy for a Bruins fan, Toronto.

I have my heart set on them finishing at the bottom again, I'll just be heart broken if they finish out of the bottom 5 in the league.  Actually, I'll be devastated, for me it would be like Bruins walking away from Wheels after arb hearing.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

NJ, provided Fatty Brodeur can keep it up, should be pretty dang impressive.

Tampa looks good for the future, but they still need to plug the hole in net.

Stupid Pittsburgh!  Getting better.

LOL @ The Caps.  Maybe they spend all of their resource money putting Mike Green in a month long secluced camp with Bourque, Robinson, Leetch, Park, Chelios and Derian Hatcher.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

In Response to Re: So what team is the most improved in the East? and which scares you the most?:
    Boston  and Boston ISLA Hopefully when we meet the enemy he is not us.
    Posted by No4BobbyOrr-GOAT

Thanks at least someone reads some of my carp. The Bruins enemy is injuries.  The CJ defense system hopefully can live without Ramsey.  The Bruins will score!  Rask and Thomas are the difference when speaking of Washington and Pittsburgh.  The Devils will continue to dominate the regular season, goaltending may become a weakness.  The Canes will be the surprise and yes Tampa will emerge.   Yet now, of what consequence is the regular season standings in the "New" NHL.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

In Response to So what team is the most improved in the East? and which scares you the most?:
    I'm going to say Tampa is the most improved and the team that scares me the most ,  Pittsburgh. No matter where Kovalchuk finally plays in. Some might say the scariest team would be Washington but once again their goalie situation will be their Achilles heel again. As for Bruins I think they will scare many teams this season.
    Posted by BsLegion

1. Wash
    2. Bos
    3. Pitt- They may slip because they'll miss Gonchar!
    4. NJ
    5.T.Bay- Most improved by far!
    6. Philly
    7. Ott
    8 . Mon/Buff or NYR

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from NumbaFouwer. Show NumbaFouwer's posts

In Response to Re: So what team is the most improved in the East? and which scares you the most?:
    Boston  and Boston ISLA Hopefully when we meet the enemy he is not us.
    Posted by No4BobbyOrr-GOAT

This is very true.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from screw-cindy-and-ovie. Show screw-cindy-and-ovie's posts

In Response to So what team is the most improved in the East? and which scares you the most? : 1. Wash 2. Bos 3. Pitt- They may slip because they'll miss Gonchar! 4. NJ 5.T.Bay- Most improved by far! 6. Philly 7. Ott 8 . Mon/Buff or NYR
    Posted by nitemare-38

You have washington and too high and philly too low. Besides that, your list looks pretty good

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Stuke50. Show Stuke50's posts

I'm on record here to say Panthers.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hockguy0818. Show Hockguy0818's posts

In Response to Re: So what teams is the most improved in the East? and scares you the most?:
    Washington doesnt scare me. They did nothing to fix their flaws last year. Expect another early exit out of them. As much as I hate Pittsburgh, their Defense looks top notch. I think Z.Michalek is one of the more underrated D men in the league. Stevie Y is doing a hell of a job down in Tampa. They could possibly be legit cup contenders within 2-3 years. Philly's D looks even scarier than before. They basically replace Parent/Krajicek/Bartulis with Meszaros/O'Donnell/Walker. They should be top 4 in the east, despite their shaky goaltending. NJ will be themselves, finishing between 2-4. I think the Bruins finish anywhere from 2-6. I think the one team that could surprise people and sneak into the playoffs is Atlanta. New coaching staff plus added players from the Chicago house clean. I hate Montreal, but I think PK Subban will win or at least get nominated for the calder. I think Florida will be alot better. The Leafs will be the Leafs. I think John Tavares will have a big year, somewhere around 40 goals. I think NYI will be better. Buffalo could be worse. Is it October yet?
    Posted by screw-cindy-and-ovie

Atlanta? Really? Lost Kovy, Armstrong and have not made any progress with MA-who scored 24 goals last year. I have them as being one of the leading contenders to be in the Adam Larsson/Sean Couturier sweepstakes come draft night. I hope I'm wrong, one less team in the way of Toronto (Edmonton, Florida and NYI are the others).

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bruinfaninnewjersey. Show Bruinfaninnewjersey's posts

Well, considering there is still an approximate metric ton of FAs out there, and more trades to come, this is a bit premature. Revisit in a month.
    Posted by duinne

Agree. But, from what I have seen so far, Philly is where Boston was last year (minus Rask...) If Briere continues to play strong (Ryder didn't) and the youth can contribute and grow (Wheeler and Lucic were mostly invisible) they will win the East behind a solid D corps.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from screw-cindy-and-ovie. Show screw-cindy-and-ovie's posts

In Response to Re: So what teams is the most improved in the East? and scares you the most?:
    In Response to Re: So what teams is the most improved in the East? and scares you the most? : Atlanta? Really? Lost Kovy, Armstrong and have not made any progress with MA-who scored 24 goals last year. I have them as being one of the leading contenders to be in the Adam Larsson/Sean Couturier sweepstakes come draft night. I hope I'm wrong, one less team in the way of Toronto (Edmonton, Florida and NYI are the others).
    Posted by Hockguy0818

Kovalchuk is a big loss, but they got Oduya(top 4 D man), Niclas Bergfors(potential top 6 forward) and cormier plus a first rounder. What a huge mistake it was not paying colby armstrong the 29 point sniper 3+million a year. Byfuglien and Ladd are 2 possible 20 goal scorers. Brent sopel is a decent #5 D man. mason is a solid goalie and Ramsey could be a good coach. I think they could contend for a 7-8 seed

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In Response to Re: So what teams is the most improved in the East? and scares you the most? : Kovalchuk is a big loss, but they got Oduya(top 4 D man), Niclas Bergfors(potential top 6 forward) and cormier plus a first rounder. What a huge mistake it was not paying colby armstrong the 29 point sniper 3+million a year. Byfuglien and Ladd are 2 possible 20 goal scorers. Brent sopel is a decent #5 D man. mason is a solid goalie and Ramsey could be a good coach. I think they could contend for a 7-8 seed

Atlanta is a big time crappy team.  Their first line players are all second line players on almost every team in the league.  Their defense is just as bad and they are still searching for a real #1 goaltender.

They'll be in Winnepeg before Cormier scores 20 NHL goals.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Neelybestallaround. Show Neelybestallaround's posts

In Response to Re: So what team is the most improved in the East? and which scares you the most? : You have washington and too high and philly too low. Besides that, your list looks pretty good

Well, I think Washigton is still going to be a beast. They didn't play bad in the play-offs they just got stymied by a red hot goalie! Ala a 1971 Ken Dryden. It can happen. They still have an awesome lineup! Philly I think without a bonafide #1 will suffer somewhat throughout the season. If they rectify that situation I think they'll finish as high as 3 or 4.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Neelybestallaround. Show Neelybestallaround's posts

In Response to Re: So what teams is the most improved in the East? and scares you the most? : Atlanta is a big time crappy team.  Their first line players are all second line players on almost every team in the league.  Their defense is just as bad and they are still searching for a real #1 goaltender. They'll be in Winnepeg before Cormier scores 20 NHL goals.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot

Have to disagree about them being crappy. Zac Bogosian is a BEAST & certainly has the potential to match a Drew Doughty! They may very well end up in Winterpeg! I hope so! I can fly to see the B's one more game during the season.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from screw-cindy-and-ovie. Show screw-cindy-and-ovie's posts

In Response to Re: So what team is the most improved in the East? and which scares you the most? : Well, I think Washigton is still going to be a beast. They didn't play bad in the play-offs they just got stymied by a red hot goalie! Ala a 1971 Ken Dryden. It can happen. They still have an awesome lineup! Philly I think without a bonafide #1 will suffer somewhat throughout the season. If they rectify that situation I think they'll finish as high as 3 or 4.
    Posted by Neelybestallaround

IMO that doesnt matter. Caps fans play the "habs only won cuz halak was on fire" card all they want. Thats still not an excuse. They lost because they didnt want it bad enough. They should have swept montreal given the difference in talent and standings. Their flaws were blatantly exposed in the playoffs. They lack gritty players, they think that mike green is a true #1 D man, and the goaltending isnt good enough  to make up for their horrible defensive play. They think by having 2 rookie D men(Carlson, Alzner) play full time, that everything will be cured. I have no reason to believe they win anything more than 1 series in the playoffs, if that

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from K435. Show K435's posts

I think it will be like this:

1. Washington
    2. Boston
    3. Pittsburgh
    4. Tampa
    5. New Jersey
    6. Atlanta
    7. Philly
    8. Montreal
    9. New York Rangers
    10. Ottawa
    11. Buffalo
    12. Carolina
    13. New York Islanders
    14. Flordia
    15. Toronto MAPLE LAUGHS

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In Response to Re: So what team is the most improved in the East? and which scares you the most? : IMO that doesnt matter. Caps fans play the "habs only won cuz halak was on fire" card all they want. Thats still not an excuse. They lost because they didnt want it bad enough. They should have swept montreal given the difference in talent and standings. Their flaws were blatantly exposed in the playoffs. They lack gritty players, they think that mike green is a true #1 D man, and the goaltending isnt good enough  to make up for their horrible defensive play. They think by having 2 rookie D men(Carlson, Alzner) play full time, that everything will be cured. I have no reason to believe they win anything more than 1 series in the playoffs, if that

The Caps will look different this season.  Their defense won't have Morissonn, Jurcina, or Corvo, and they'll be without Belanger and Morrison up front.  I expect Carlson and Alzner to be high quality NHL defensemen.  You don't?

I am not convinced that you watched too much of the Washington series, or that you even really understand why they lost.  It appears that you have simply read malarky on message boards and blogs.  However, if I'm wrong, please explain how poorly their defense and goaltending was considering that in the four games they lost, there were a total of 11 goals scored against (average of 2.75).

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from TryToBearIt. Show TryToBearIt's posts

It's a good question b/c this is what bothers me most about the Bruins...it's not that the Bruins aren't good...it's just that I think a lot of teams in the East are better, including:

Pitt
    Washington (how some of you can laugh at this team is beyond me...they are still ridiculously strong and will eventually stop cr@pping the bed in the post season.

Teams as good as the B's or improved enough to put a serious scare into the proceedings:

NJ (especially if they find a way to keep Kovalchuk)
    Flyers (They'll miss Gagne but are still at least as good as Boston)

Improved teams that will give the Bruins fits if they don't take them seriously enough:

Tampa (Gagne was a sweet pick up for them)
    Buffalo (Not so much improved as still anchored by one of the top 3 goalies in the game)

That doesn't leave the Bruins much room for error and I expect a very tight race again for the playoffs. I don't see the B's finishing anywhere in the top 3 in the Conference, and more likely will be jockeying for a 4,5, or 6 slot.

So much obviously could/should be done before the playoffs in 2011, but if the Bruins are smart and keep Savard (huge if, given their track record for managerial idiocy), and can pick up some scoring help at the trading deadline I can see them-- with some fortunate bounces (why do we never seem to get them?)--making the conference finals, losing to Wash. in 7 games.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

You guys have to be kidding me if the Canes aren't on the radar.
    They'll have Cam Ward healthy.  They were beating everyone at the end of the season.  I look to them to be challenging for a playoff spot - along with Tampa.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from bruins8. Show bruins8's posts

Posted by BsLegion

tampa? u got to be kidding  they got 5 good not great forwards the rest of the team is lousy  sure hedman is solid but the other 5 d and their goalies are terrible...boston washington pens are top 3 teams in conference