Statement game vs Capitals

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from fp4778. Show fp4778's posts

Statement game vs Capitals

At a point last season the Bruins got away from their game and went into a bit of a tail spin even though they were playing some weaker teams. Everyone was all over the team and their next game was against a solid Jersey team which most predicted would smoke the Bruins. I recall posting that a game against New Jersey was exactly what they needed and if they won it would be a statement game that would turn things around. They won and the confidence and wins started coming again.

So here I go again. The Washington Capitals are exactly what the Bruins need now. They have their core team back on the ice and they need a win against a big time team to make a statement and turn this thing around. I believe they will get that win like last year against Jersey and things will start to improve. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from bruinsfan084evr. Show bruinsfan084evr's posts

Re: Statement game vs Capitals

the playoffs starts now

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from FairbanksAK. Show FairbanksAK's posts

Havent the last 7 games been "statement games" ?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BlueEyedGuy. Show BlueEyedGuy's posts

Wow...this is a ridiculous thread.  What possible statement can they make in the midst of their worst losing streak in some dozen years? To whom is the statement directed?  What happens if the Capitals skate into the The Vault and run the Bs out of their own building?  Then what's the statement?  Right now, a struggling and obviously deflated team facing the Conference Leader has to look at themselves and decide whether belong on the same ice or not as the #1 Eastern club.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jtassinarisoccer. Show jtassinarisoccer's posts

How many more games are the Die Hards going to say this? STATEMENT GAME.  Give me a break!! They have already made a statement this season that they're not good.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from fp4778. Show fp4778's posts

Ok I understand the cynicism but here is the way I see it in terms of a statement game:

1) There are no more excuses about having a depleted line up. Although everyone in the Bruins organization has been towing the party line all year long about not being able to use significant injuries to significant players as an excuse they always had that crutch to fall back. If they didn't come out and say it the media and fans did it for them.

2) Chiarelli doesn't want to pull the trigger on anything big to shake up the lineup until he had everybody back to see how they perform. Well the last major piece returned last night (ie Sturm) and he seems to be fully recovered. So all hands are on deck for the Capitals and Chiarelli can now assess what he has against a team where high performance is critiical to win as opposed to some lower end teams.

3) Chiarelli has stated that he would prefer to make a move before the Olympic break so the new addition(s) can get up acclimated during the break. So there is not much time to pull of a trade between now and then in this cap world so he will need to get on his horse if they under perform against the Captals ie he has to decide where he is going with this team.

4) As of today trade season was officially opened by Burke and the Bruin players who don't want to move or see their buddies move should now be a liitle more worried and know as individuals they have to respond in a big way in the next game which happens to be the Capitals.

So the Capitals game is a statement game on several levels. Most importantly I believe that if they win it this thing will start to turn around. If they lose it everybody in the whole Bruin organization will finally realize that this team as it stands right now cannot count on a playoff spot and Chiarelli will pull the plug on something which would probably start with Ponacharosky(???) from Toronto for a second round pick.

P.S. My apologies for any Ferrence fans for leaving him out of picture.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from shaunk. Show shaunk's posts

Every game they play now is a statement game only in the sense that they need to WIN.  Just win, one game, just do it.  One wants to say that it isn't hard but the Bruins can't score. Absolutely, they cannot score.  It shouldn't take Chiarelli's 'waiting to see what we've got' tact to figure this out.  When the Bruins were healthy, they couldn't score.  When they were injured, they couldn't score.  When they are on the mend, they can't score!  Either they do something soon or everyone should just sell off their tickets and wait for next year.  The Bruins organization is lucky that there is so much interest and frustration in the fan base.  People actually care now, but that passion is still very slim.  They continue like this, whether or not it is fair, people just won't care about them again.  This junk about having no emotion or motivation, that is a scapegoat.  If the players don't care then maybe they feel like playing in front of 1500 fans.  No one wants to pay NHL prices to watch developmental league hockey.