That Jacobs is so cheap....

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from screw-cindy-and-ovie. Show screw-cindy-and-ovie's posts

Re: That Jacobs is so cheap....

In Response to Re: That Jacobs is so cheap....:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: That Jacobs is so cheap.... : Yea we need more Atlanta's, Phoniex's & Tampa's. All that attendence really generates lots of revenue for the NHL. Kansas City would really love hockey I'm sure too eh? Comon give your head a shake! We need the sport where it'll be appreciated & thrive. The Hamilton's & Winnepeg's is where that happens.
    Posted by Neelybestallaround[/QUOTE]
    All those southern teams are the ones keeping the cap down. Take away Phoe/TB/Fla/atl/nash and replace them with hockey cities such as Quebec city/hamilton/winnepeg etc. and the cap would be 70+ mill

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from TryToBearIt. Show TryToBearIt's posts

You know what? If there's "no point" as so many of you seem to believe in complaining about the owner, then there's even less reason to exalt him as some kind of "good guy" b/c he allows his GM to spend up to a cap that he put in place to save himself money.

I promise not to b*tch about JJ the Horrible as long as "fans" like logeseats don't make idiotic posts about how great JJ is since the Bruins are slammed up against a cap that keeps them from buying better players....talking nice about an owner who lives in Buffalo not Boston, and has slated his moron son--who knows even less about hockey than he does--to take over when someone finally drives a stake thru his uncaring and indifferent heart.

And for NAS, you can go to h*ll for suggesting I should switch my allegiance to a team with a  better owner. I'm a Bruins fan for life--I don;t get to choose the owner I want...and I've been rooting for this team well before JJ bought it...and that gives me the right to point out how stupid it is to say he's a model owner for spending to a cap he created to save money.

And finally, for those who say "he's just being a good businessman",...no kidding. But guess what? you can be a good businessman AND care about your team: Exhibit A is Ed Snider in Philly....a wealthy man, successful owner w/a great business AND a guy who actually bleeds Orange for his team, while the only color JJ bleeds is green.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from logeseats. Show logeseats's posts

TryToBearIt - at what point did I call him great? I just said stop calling him cheap. In fact, I didn't even say he was a good owner nor did I say he was a bad one. Learn to read what was written before you start calling other people idiots. After your rant it's probably pretty clear who the idiot is.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from can-pats-fan. Show can-pats-fan's posts

JACOBS is CHEAP.  When the Bruins had the team that had a shot at a cup '88, '90 he could have brought in a player or two to put us over the top, he didn't.  Dave Poulin was his big move?  Now he hires a cheap PC to save a few bucks and our cap situation is horrible.

$10 beers say no more.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

TTBI, I have to agree with logeseats. All his post said was that the B's were at the top of the salary chart list and maybe blaming JJ for not spending money was getting obsolete. You proceeded to put words in his mouth ( him calling JJ great ) and calling his remarks idiotic.

I for one agree with those so called idiotic remarks as I feel what's done is done . If people want to live their lives in the past that's their choice but some of us like to live in the now and for the future.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE] And for NAS, you can go to h*ll for suggesting I should switch my allegiance to a team with a  better owner. I'm a Bruins fan for life--I don;t get to choose the owner I want...and I've been rooting for this team well before JJ bought it...and that gives me the right to point out how stupid it is to say he's a model owner for spending to a cap he created to save money. And finally, for those who say "he's just being a good businessman",...no kidding. But guess what? you can be a good businessman AND care about your team: Exhibit A is Ed Snider in Philly....a wealthy man, successful owner w/a great business AND a guy who actually bleeds Orange for his team, while the only color JJ bleeds is green.
    Posted by TryToBearIt[/QUOTE]

It's not going to change anytime soon, so complaining about Jacobs being cheap is like complaining about the traffic on 93 at 8:15am on a Monday.

How's Ed Snider's love for hockey working out for Philly? 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from nrguy. Show nrguy's posts

If you want to talk about an owner that treats his workers like crap, talk about John Henry. Used to work there, know a lot of people that still do. Awful owner as far as working for them goes. He also continues to clean fans dry by selling tickets to ticket agencies, overcharging for beer and by not replacing that POS ball park.

Most beloved? I say the most infested.

Yeah, Jacobs isn't Steinbrenner but he's not Al Davis or the Isles owner, but is that really necessary? As long as he spends to the cap and tries to win a cup every year, why complain?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from TryToBearIt. Show TryToBearIt's posts

[QUOTE]TryToBearIt - at what point did I call him great? I just said stop calling him cheap. In fact, I didn't even say he was a good owner nor did I say he was a bad one. Learn to read what was written before you start calling other people idiots. After your rant it's probably pretty clear who the idiot is.
    Posted by logeseats[/QUOTE]

So maybe you should take your own advice and read what I wrote. I didn't call YOU and idiot...I called your post and premise "idiotic" and I stick to it. The idea of starting a thread that essentially gives JJ a pass for spending to a cap he helped create is praise for him as an owner.

The Bruins track record of a 38-year Cup drought speaks volumes about JJ's tenure with the Bruins and I hate repeating myself, but spending to the cap is meaningless for  Bruins team and owner in a large market that has plenty of money to burn. HOW that money is spent is key, and that's on PC...but praising JJ for letting him spend to a cap that represents a savings for the owner is--if not idiotic--at least misguided and besides the point as to whether he is an engaged and caring owner.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from TryToBearIt. Show TryToBearIt's posts

NAS writes: How's Ed Snider's love for hockey working out for Philly? 

Ummmm...better than JJ's "love" for hockey in Boston...evidenced by the Flyers' 6 Stanley Cup Finals appearances since 1975 compared to the Bruins' 2 since 1972.

NAS writes: It's not going to change anytime soon, so complaining about Jacobs being cheap is like complaining about the traffic on 93 at 8:15am on a Monday.

Actually agree with that. My point is, while complaining about the traffic won't change it, saying "gee, this traffic isn't so bad" makes it twice as annoying.

I'm not the one who started a "doesn't JJ stink?" thread...I'm just the one refusing to let it pass when someone starts a thread that says "JJ's not so bad!".

Because: YES. HE. IS.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]NAS writes: How's Ed Snider's love for hockey working out for Philly?  Ummmm...better than JJ's "love" for hockey in Boston...evidenced by the Flyers' 6 Stanley Cup Finals appearances since 1975 compared to the Bruins' 2 since 1972.
    Posted by TryToBearIt[/QUOTE]

Wow.  There is so much more to the story than that.  Is Jacobs to blame for the B's running into the '88 Oilers?  How about the '90 Oilers?  You know, if JJ weren't so cheap, the B's would have been able to stop one of the greatest teams in the history of the game.

Is it all JJ's fault that Mario, Jagr, Francis and the rest of the '91 and '92 Penguins steamrolled the league?  I bet if JJ weren't so cheap, he could have paid for Mario instead of watching his pennies and allowing Pittsburgh to draft him.

B's Cups since 1972:  0

Philly Cups since 1975:  0

If the three year difference is the differece between an owner who completely loves hockey and one that doesn't, I'd say there is really not much difference at all.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

On the topic of JJ , it's wrong to say he's cheap,  he's not. Even when there was no cap the Bruins were never in the bottom 5 for spending salary. 
    What JJ does look at is his bottom line, profitability. That's it ! This to some interprets being cheap.
    He's in for the buisness of hockey and not for the love of the sport. 
    Ed Snider,  he's in it for both. I won't get into this again as I had started a thread about this already.

Shot,  so did the Flyers run into some dynasties. Anyway,  that's pointless, to win a Stanley cup the planets practically have to align for you. I'll say the Bruins haven't been the luckiest of teams and when they were close to being called a dynasty with the best player that ever played (my view) they ran into the likes of Dryden and yes also Bernie Parent that easily stole 2 cups from the Bruins.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from cup2009. Show cup2009's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: That Jacobs is so cheap.... : Yea we need more Atlanta's, Phoniex's & Tampa's. All that attendence really generates lots of revenue for the NHL. Kansas City would really love hockey I'm sure too eh? Comon give your head a shake! We need the sport where it'll be appreciated & thrive. The Hamilton's & Winnepeg's is where that happens.
    Posted by Neelybestallaround[/QUOTE]

If you think about how popular it has gotten since 1990 yes their have been bumps in the road, but hey look at some of those teams Phoniex and Floridia have not made the playoffs in years, yes thats going to drain attendence anywhere..
    NO one ever says anything about the Islanders or even the Devils has anyone noticed their attendance...

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Believe1. Show Believe1's posts

Seems to me that JJ stands to make more money if the Bruins go deep into the playoffs and if they won a Cup, he'd really be rolling in moolah. 

Imagine what the prices would cost after a Lord Stanley comes to Boston! 

So, yes, eat and drink before the game, don't buy new jerseys or watch from home on NESN/Versus.  Lots of ways to cut cost and still cheer on the Black and Gold.  I've downsized to a 10-pack game and sitting in the balcony but there is nothing like seeing the Bruins at the Garden.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from TryToBearIt. Show TryToBearIt's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: That Jacobs is so cheap.... : Wow.  There is so much more to the story than that.  Is Jacobs to blame for the B's running into the '88 Oilers?  How about the '90 Oilers?  You know, if JJ weren't so cheap, the B's would have been able to stop one of the greatest teams in the history of the game. Is it all JJ's fault that Mario, Jagr, Francis and the rest of the '91 and '92 Penguins steamrolled the league?  I bet if JJ weren't so cheap, he could have paid for Mario instead of watching his pennies and allowing Pittsburgh to draft him. B's Cups since 1972:  0 Philly Cups since 1975:  0 If the three year difference is the differece between an owner who completely loves hockey and one that doesn't, I'd say there is really not much difference at all.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot[/QUOTE]

1988: No one was going to beat those Gretzky Oilers. Agreed.

1990: perfect example of what I'm talking about. The Bruins were a 1-line team dependent on Neely and bourque and Harry Sinden & JJ didn't even consider doing anything to make the team better whether it was thru trade or acquisition b/c they didn't want to spend the money. The Oilers were without Gretzky in 1990 but were 3, even 4 lines deep w/talent. The Bruins front office put all their eggs in 1 basket and didn't bother to increase their talent level to go the extra mile.

After that? I think I'll let Adam Oates' comments on the Bruins front office speak for themselves. But hey...who needs guys like oates around anyway, right? We'll just stock the team w/"gritty" players on the cheap like Jeff Odgers and all will be hunky dorey.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In 1990, I'd say Poulin, Christian and Propp were decent acquisitions. 

My guess is that these players helped the team and cost more than Linseman, Joyce and a second round pick.

Might want to get your facts straight before posting again.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

I think there is a common misconception in the bruins being cheap, that is tied into a lot of fantasy's that more money spent would have equaled a cup.

I remember the 1990 team, but do not remember who was available at the deadline when we could have just "spent" more money..

To many of you fail to realize hockey is a business, if jacobs was a fan/ wasn't a fan it would not change that. I am sure the bruins have an "operating budget" established year to year, and that is where the spend to.. I would also wager it is in the top 1/3 of the league.. There are always posters who try to argue we spend to the cap on the roster, but cut the budget in other areas etc..Just simply put that is a bad arguement your investing $60m in players you really going to crap out by paying your  scouts $50k each as opposed to $65k for "better" scouts etc..
    Not to mention how many people are following scouting??  Have any idea what Detriot spends on scouting verse the bruins ??
    Most of the teams that have "drafted well" have had the "luck" of consecutive awful seasons..

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from slakrking. Show slakrking's posts

Actually the original quote is attributed to Groucho marx

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: That Jacobs is so cheap.... : If you think about how popular it has gotten since 1990 yes their have been bumps in the road, but hey look at some of those teams Phoniex and Floridia have not made the playoffs in years, yes thats going to drain attendence anywhere.. NO one ever says anything about the Islanders or even the Devils has anyone noticed their attendance...
    Posted by cup2009[/QUOTE]

In phoenix's defense they made the play offs this year, and had a great series, hats of the their fans to who gave them a standing ovation as well as a "lets go yotes" cheer while they did the hand shake line after losing the most important game in franchise history 6-1...

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]I think there is a common misconception in the bruins being cheap, that is tied into a lot of fantasy's that more money spent would have equaled a cup. I remember the 1990 team, but do not remember who was available at the deadline when we could have just "spent" more money..
    Posted by rolerhoky19[/QUOTE]

The big trades that season other than the ones the B's made were Nicholls for Granato and Sandstrom, Ulf Dahlen + picks for Mike Gartner, and Jyrki Lumme for a second round pick.  In order to get, you have to give.  The B's would have subtracted as much as they added to acquire any of those forwards, so I just don't see how Jacobs' penny pinching ways are even in the conversation.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: That Jacobs is so cheap.... : The big trades that season other than the ones the B's made were Nicholls for Granato and Sandstrom, Ulf Dahlen + picks for Mike Gartner, and Jyrki Lumme for a second round pick.  In order to get, you have to give.  The B's would have subtracted as much as they added to acquire any of those forwards, so I just don't see how Jacobs' penny pinching ways are even in the conversation.

so...None of those names ended up on the cup...

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

In all seriousness though the most direct claim about jacobs being cheap is that he hired PC, who alledgly makes less then most GM's..

One, never see that stat but maybe its real, but anyone who understands, business or economics, or ?  I mean I don't have a background in either...

But I would argue that a rookie gm, though possibly being cheaper will cost you more.. Obviously someone with more experience, who is anygood, should make less mistakes.. I think the hiring of PC should have been viewed more as a "bold" move, but really, I just think it was a case of taking a page from the sox, they traded nomar, hired theo, translated to succes.. the bruins made to very similar moves and have had success though not as well..

As far as Ray Shero not signing here, because jacobs was
    "cheap" the second argument you hear, I would bet it had less to do with that and more to do with having crosby already on the roster, and malkin already drafted.. You want to be a good gm, those are 2 huge and young blocks to build a franchise around.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

[QUOTE]Now now children...irrespective of why the salary cap is in place and who lobbyed for it ( in reference to JJ pushing that), it is part of the business of owning an NHL team and in theory is supposed to prevent teams in high market areas to BUY a cup whereas teams in smaller markets couldn't compete financially. ( obscure reference to NY Yankees) Having said that, he (JJ) has PC ( the new and improved Harry Sinden) as his general manager to efficiently 'shop for groceries'.. PC is no dummy but from an outsiders perspective, comes across as distributing that money on some questionable players .. ( who else has done that? ... every other team that hasn't won the stanley cup..that's who).. so IMHO, Jacobs is doing what a good business man should do.. make money.(but not necessarily a good owner). I think many of us fans are miffed because under his ownership, he hasn't been able to bring the cup to boston..and more importantly to a fan, doesn't appear to give a rats azz if the B's win or not but I am sure that even if his sole motivation is/was to make money.. would agree that a winner here would make this team/business more profitable..   Just throwing my two - cents in there..  Phone lines are now open.. have at it..lol
    Posted by SupportLocal81[/QUOTE]

I will say Jacobs built the TD Garden or what ever you call it with his own bucks. As for Delaware North, it owns the Bruins.  The concessions stands that organization owns is nothing new, many venues charge the same for American crap food.  Looking backward only proves Jacobs was not a good owner. If one wants to argue on his cheapness, choose 1997 and onward.  He could have built a team.  Ray Bourque signed team friendly contracts only to be surrounded by lesser likes.  BTW the Philly trade in the 90s was an attempt to win the Cup. Most acquired players were gone in a year or two, more could have been done in my estimation to compete with the Oilers and Pens.  Now back to the future, like now, JJ and Bettman have created a budget with the current CBA.  The problem is the "no limit credit card" is once again extended way beyond the intent of that CBA.  Long term contracts and extended salaries into periods of seventeen years are simply a joke.  JJ is certainly not happy with the trend despite the Savard contract.  I also happen to agree with JJ that the contributing teams are paying way too much to keep the good ship NHL a float. Oh well, the times have changed and so have I.  I do have a memory.  Just because one poster is a contrarian does not mean that poster can not be opened minded, heh?  The Bs look like a team on the verge of winning a Cup with the right development of young players.  I just don't want to hear the JJ is bad argument nor the lame "injury" excuse anymore.  

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from TryToBearIt. Show TryToBearIt's posts

[QUOTE]In 1990, I'd say Poulin, Christian and Propp were decent acquisitions.  My guess is that these players helped the team and cost more than Linseman, Joyce and a second round pick. Might want to get your facts straight before posting again.

Right. And so because YOU SAY Poulin, Christian, and Propp were "decent acquisitions" that makes you right. Amazing. Your arrogance exceeds your ignorance, but just barely. If those "decent acquisitions" really were enough, then why did the Bruins fall in 5 un-inspired games to a clearly deeper and superior Edmonton squad? Was it Glen Wesley's missed open-netter in game 1? Maybe. But I doubt it.

Or maybe the Bruins put together a very good team in 1990, but not one that would be a great team..or the best team...which is exactly what Adam Oates complained about before being shipped out of town for speaking the truth about Bruins management.

But i guess you know more about hockey than Oates. Yep. Because all you do is wait for people to post their opinions on this forum and then rip them no matter what they say.

Oh--and the Zack Hammill quote--not funny then...or now.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Poulin had 25 points in 32 games for the B's that season.

Propp had 12 points in 14 games for the B's that season.  In the previous 10 seasons, Propp had failed to record at least 30 goals only two times (26 and 27).

Christian came over on the heels of two 30+ goals seasons and was terrific on the checking line for Boston.

These players weren't quality acquisitions because I say so, they are quality acquistions because their play said so.

Sure, Edmonton was deeper, but that's not the point.  You said the B's refused to make any moves to improve the team.  Propp, Poulin and Christian are here to dispute that.

I'm not sure what Adam Oates has to do with the team in 1990.  He wasn't a Bruin then.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from kylequinn. Show kylequinn's posts

[QUOTE]Hooooow cheeeeeeap is he? (10 point reference)

well im gonna tell yea, that Mr. Jacobs was sooooo cheap, that when cleaning the ice, rather then using a zambonie, he used a BLANK.....