The fate of Tim Thomas

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BruinsFanInPenTerritory. Show BruinsFanInPenTerritory's posts

The fate of Tim Thomas

Just read a piece in ESPN Boston's section that had speculation about whether yesterday was the Tank's last game with the Bruins. I like his story, I like his fiestyness (my only game last year was that late season Ranger game when he fought Avery), and I like his game. The problem is that this yet another case of Chiarelli overpaying for a veteran (Ferrance and Ryder being the two worst examples).

Yet how can the team move him? With Vokoun, Chris Mason, Marty Turco, Nabokov, one of the Islander goalies, Corey Schneider all likely on the market next year, there are only so many destinations for a guy like Thomas. Plus, his age and cap hit seem to pose other roadblocks to a deal. Thoughts?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrCC. Show DrCC's posts

Re: The fate of Tim Thomas

If you look at goalies with more than 45 games (45 to make sure Halak is included) and not counting Rask, Thomas was 14th in GAA and save %.  That's 15 teams that should consider him a possible upgrade in goal.

Without going through all of those teams, it is impossible to say exactly how many might be interested, but it is encouraging.

That said, unless Chiarelli gets an offer that clearly benefits the team, I think they hold on to him at least until the trade deadline.  $6.25 million for two goaltenders is only a little high for a team with an established starter, and there is always the risk that Rask will have a sophomore slump.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

In Response to Re: The fate of Tim Thomas:
    If you look at goalies with more than 45 games (45 to make sure Halak is included) and not counting Rask, Thomas was 14th in GAA and save %.  That's 15 teams that should consider him a possible upgrade in goal. Without going through all of those teams, it is impossible to say exactly how many might be interested, but it is encouraging. That said, unless Chiarelli gets an offer that clearly benefits the team, I think they hold on to him at least until the trade deadline.  $6.25 million for two goaltenders is only a little high for a team with an established starter, and there is always the risk that Rask will have a sophomore slump.
    Posted by DrCC

I don't think he is even overpaid, Rask play has started most of this.. The fact is if he wasn't sitting on the banch, or playing behind thomas.. There wouldnt even be a discussion..

I agree Thomas can't be moved till the deadline though, to many guys have come through here with a good season and then never been able to follow that up.. Thomas solidified the position when he took it over, I was never a huge fan of his, but the truth is goal has been a revolving door for the bruins since?? I Don't think I am old enough to remember..

His play hasnt been bad, and I do not feel he is over paid, simply rask has been better, and that makes thomas's cap an easy target, and him an easy target when looking to trade..

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BruinsFanInPenTerritory. Show BruinsFanInPenTerritory's posts

Nice thought Roler. You're right-- his salary does make him a target of fans like me. I saw one trade floated of Thomas for Gagne, but I don't think Philly would go for it. Then again, they will need to clear salary if they add a goalie and as Dupes mentioned, that would make too much sense. Boston doesn't have much in the system as far as goalies, so a deal this summer would mean another goalie is coming back.

Despite being ruined by the stop-gap guys of the early 1990s and then Blaine Lacher, Jim Carey, Andrew Raycroft, Toivenen ... I firmly believe Rask is the real deal. Some people in these forums get after Thomas personally, but the business makes sense to deal him. If they want to trade him, they need to do it this summer because no one in their right mind (not even Mike Keenan) would trade for a goalie like Thomas at his age next year.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from wil39. Show wil39's posts

I agree, I don't think TT is overpaid. and when you look at it the 6.25 million for 2 tenders (possibly the best tandem in the league), it's even more attractive. I was at the game yesterday in Washington, it looks like Thomas has a lot of game left in him and I'd guess, more then half the teams in the league would be interested in him, at least kick some tires, Chicago, Philly to name 2. He's still a starter for the majority of the teams in the NHL and a year removed from the Vezina. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

With Thomas's contract going down to 5Mil then 3Mil the last 2 years it is a very moveable contract. I say he will waive his NTC and be gone to either San Jose or Dallas maybe even his home state Detroit with Osgood finally gone.

If PC does trade Thomas he's better get his back up correct. There 's allot of goalie free agents this year which is good if doesn't get a good backup in trade.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

I've posted this question before and never get a response.  Does TT look really really unhappy on the bnech?  He does to me.  He could be wearing a sign that says 'trade me now.'

Second, as much as we complain about him, and say all kinds of things about him, he has his bad games and sofites for sure.
    I tell you right now he would put a cup in the hands of the Caps.
    He would help the Flyers.
    And he sure would help out a lot of clubs who are suspect in goal.

He's got the kind of personality where he will fire up a team, at least for a while.  And he's always best when he's totally down and out.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BruinsFanInPenTerritory. Show BruinsFanInPenTerritory's posts

I've always been a fan of the Tank. Honestly, his personal story is remarkable and gives hope to people. He's the little engine that could, and I am glad he's getting paid handsomely for his services.

I just think Rask has changed things. Remember when Toronto had both Pogge and Rask in their system? They were debating who to deal? Pogge has bounced around the ECHL, AHL, and NHL. Say what you will about Chiarelli (personally I think he's done a terrible job in spots) but he has brought along Rask in the right way.

In the cap world, Rask's rise has made the Tank a luxury I don't think the team can afford.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from davecarr. Show davecarr's posts

Thomas is unhappy because he wants to play. Everybody does. If he is content to be on the bench, then nobody would want him. It's a trait to be respected, not over-analyzed.

He won't go to Detroit, Howard is just as good as Rask and it would be pointless. I see him going to Philly if they can't get Turco, or if the Flyers goalies look bad in the playoffs. There will be better goalies out there, but having a recent Vezina is going to be key in selling it to the Flyers fans.

But it's really up to him, since he has a no movement clause, they can't even bury him in Providence

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

Honestly, I know I'll get ripped for this but heres the deal breaker for me, Tim Thomas is not a good goalie. The stats are what they are just because of this awesome team defense. He lets up so many softies, aside from the shootout I don't see his value one bit, I just hope some other team does. Oh, and anyone who thinks that detroit would trade for thomas has lost their mind. Howard is playing well, and their pretty smart with their management
    Posted by pbergeron37

Pbergeron,
     I was not a fan when he came up (my on going joke with a friend was he was working on the big dig and they brought him in, just cause he doesn't look like a goalie)... That being said, he is indeed a good goalie, the team defense has not been great this year, and when it has failed it has often been catasthrophic.. If you look at this career numbers I think it will surprise you, higher Svs% then ryan miller, better goals against, etc..

And miller plays for a pretty solid defensive team.. He does give up soft goals, but he never quits..After the previous caps game i remember being dissapointed that on the OT goal rask didn't even attempt to make a save.. I felt like even if thomas couldnt have gotten it, he would have tried.. I'd like to see that in some of our other players you know?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from mattymcgee55. Show mattymcgee55's posts

What is fair value in return for Thomas? What is Corey Schneider's value? 

I would think that teams would be willing to give up a whole lot more for Schneider and that the teams that would want these two goaltenders are in different scenarios. 

If a team wants TT they would have to be a strong team right now that needs a goaltending upgrade, has $5 in cap space, and has prospects, players or picks that they are willing to deal. Tough set of specifics to deal w/. A team that wants Schneider would most likely be an up and coming team w/ a goaltending need- Im talking to you St.L, Philly, TB, Ott.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from mattymcgee55. Show mattymcgee55's posts

All of Thomas stats can be explained. Low career GAA, even alex auld had a low GAA in the Bs system. Save %? a ton of outside shots taht he gave up huge rebounds on, luckily thats where that defensive system kicked in, smothering those huge rebounds. He has been over rated the last few seasons, and I got laughed at when I said Rask would be the starter by the end of the season. I got laughed at when I said the Bs should trade the rights to Timmy elsewhere and sign Craig Anderson for around 1.5-2. Now everyone wants to get rid of him.
    Posted by pbergeron37

I give you credit pbergs, you definitely called it. Imagine the brass had traded TT for whatever, and signed Anderson for $1.75ish and used the extra dough on a team need. Although Anderson signed w/ Colorado because he wanted to start, not sure that he would be given that chance here. Hindsight is 20/20 regardless.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Peanator. Show Peanator's posts

I've always been a fan of the Tank. Honestly, his personal story is remarkable and gives hope to people. He's the little engine that could, and I am glad he's getting paid handsomely for his services. I just think Rask has changed things. Remember when Toronto had both Pogge and Rask in their system? They were debating who to deal? Pogge has bounced around the ECHL, AHL, and NHL. Say what you will about Chiarelli (personally I think he's done a terrible job in spots) but he has brought along Rask in the right way. In the cap world, Rask's rise has made the Tank a luxury I don't think the team can afford.
    Posted by BruinsFanInPenTerritory

Good Post !

It will be a sad day for me if TT will be trade this summer. But I admit than Rask is unbelievable.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from jwb413. Show jwb413's posts

pbergeron37 you are spot on with TT. I'm not here to bash him but you have said nothing but the truth about Thomas. The team won him the Vezina last year.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from misterpaulo. Show misterpaulo's posts

Getting TT off the books will be key and I'm not sure it will be as easy as some think.  I think it's doable but the B's better be willing to basically get nothing in return.  Getting a solid vet backup will be easy IMO.  Just got to pick the right one.  Good backups would be attracted to playing in Boston as they would probably still get enough playing time to be satisfied and it's a solid young team with a future.  CJ's system is a goalies heaven as well.  I think the B's will be in a position of strength when it comes to getting a solid back up. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from misterpaulo. Show misterpaulo's posts

possible backups for 2010/11:

Some possbie UFA options:
    Hedberg, Lalime, Legace, Budaj, Ellis, Biron, Auld, Brodeur (Mike), Leighton, Jojnson, Niittymaki, Mason and Raycroft (umm no).

I like the idea of Niittymaki.  Fin tandem with Rask and Niitty is able to carry the load for short spurts in case of injury.  I like Leighton as well.    

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from mattymcgee55. Show mattymcgee55's posts

Biron or Mason would look good as a backup tender here. Never been a fan of Nittymaki but the Finnish connection is intriguing. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from misterpaulo. Show misterpaulo's posts

Maybe I really undervalue TT but I would be stunned to see the B's get anything back of value.  His age, contract and possible diminishing skills are not going to attract a whole lot.  I would be happy if the B's can land a mid range pick.  With TT's NTC he'll be able to call the shots and there might only be a handful of teams he would even consider.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BruinsFanInPenTerritory. Show BruinsFanInPenTerritory's posts

Agreed with the last two posts. Getting his contracts off the books will be the benefit of a trade, not getting anyone to come back in return. I don't buy trades like Thomas for Alfreddson or anything outlandish. Think just in terms of draft picks and straight cap relief.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BruinsGM24. Show BruinsGM24's posts

@ pbergeron37 and @jwb413, you are both obviously entitled to your opinion of Thomas.  But, by the same argument, isn't Rask putting up good numbers for the same reason (solid team defense)?  There is the factor of salary, and maybe your argument is "Why spend money on goalies when the team defense takes care of it all anyway?" I don't have a problem with paying 2 quality goalies a combined $6.25M, but I understand the desire to free up TT's salary if he's not going to start at least 1/2 the games in a season.

Let's not give Rask a throne just yet.  I, too, think he's the real deal, but one year means NOTHING.  Remember how well Carey Price was playing in his first year after Huet was traded at the deadline?  He was absolutely dominant, and, like Rask, is (was?) mechanically sound.  I'm not saying the two are the same, but it's not a guarantee that Rask repeats next year.

Finally, yes, Rask has been much better than Thomas.  BUT, that doesn't mean Thomas has been atrocious.  Yes, he's let him some ugly goals this year and has gotten chased more than a few times, but the guy is still sporting 2.56 GAA and 91.0 save %.  Thomas is a GOOD (not great) goalie who is capable of playing well above his capabilities when the situation seems dire.  I think plenty of teams will be interested in trading for him, and I don't have a problem in downgrading Thomas for someone more suited to a backup role.

But, regardless, the Bruins need a solid backup for Rask as security.  Other teams will respect the value of Thomas, and if the right offer comes along, trade him and get a better bargain for Rask security.  If not, the B's should ride the Rask/TT tandem for all it's worth next year.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from everyname. Show everyname's posts

I wouldn't be surprised to see Thomas re-negotiate his contract for a bit less in order to stay in Boston.  It would be great for both sides, Tim could stay in Boston and not have to move his family any more, and the Bruins could keep an awesome 2nd goaltender (two great goalies is a must for a contender).

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from BruinsGM24. Show BruinsGM24's posts

@everyname, your post actually reminds me of a question I've never known the answer to.   Are NHL players and teams allowed to renegotiate contracts?  I'm sure they can, but I can't remember any instances in the NHL.  You see this all the time in other sports, however.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from BruinsGM24. Show BruinsGM24's posts

@everyname, I just looked it up.  No renegotiation.  Too bad, because that's the best idea I've heard on what to do with TT.  I wonder why the NHL cares about renegotiations...

RENEGOTIATION OF CONTRACTS

Will Clubs be able to renegotiate contracts with players?

No. Player contracts will not be renegotiated (upward or downward) during their term. Extensions may be negotiated but only in the final year of the contract and only if such extension is for an amount that can be accommodated in a Club's upper limit for the current year or as computed for future years.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from misterpaulo. Show misterpaulo's posts

It's a nice thought but I can't see TT simply giving back millions of dollars all to remain a Bruin as a backup.  

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from jwb413. Show jwb413's posts

I just don't see TT wanting a "part time " roll. He wants to go to a team to start not backup. I'm sure he feels he has the goods that teams want but I can't convince myself any GM will take him off the B's hands.......