The Kessel Thought

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from blead2121. Show blead2121's posts

The Kessel Thought

I am not in any way an expert on the salary cap, but I believe this is correct based on how everything worked out with Sturm last year.

I will start everything by sayign that there is no way Kessel gets 5 million and I do not know the Bruins actual cap status so I will assume they are right on the cap.

Let's assume he gets 4 million because I believe that is what he will get.

Now if I am correct when a player is on the IR his salary does not count against the cap (ie. Sturm). So let's now assume Kessel is out until the first week of December. So he misses 2 months. That brings his cap hit for the year somewhere in the range of 2.7 million. Now send Sabourin to the minors and his cap hit doesn't hurt. That brings us to 2.1 million. Now I would like to operate under the assumption that there is a major injury in the first two months, because there always seems to be one. This should get us pretty darn close to that 2 million more we need to free up.

Everyone keeps saying that Kobasew or someone needs to go in order to keep Kessel. If we just wait this out things will more than likely take care of themselves. He can't go anywhere so just let him hold out til November or so and then sign him.

I only want him on a 1 year deal though because I am not his biggest fan, because he can't play D and is a baby. Plus a lot of better young players contracts are coming up in the next couple of years.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mario11. Show mario11's posts

Re: The Kessel Thought

What better young players are coming up to contract years soon?  Are there any who have scored 30+ goals?  I know Kessel has some holes in his game but the guy is only 23 and can improve to become a more well rounded player.

They will need to move a player or 2 to get Kessel in the fold.  PC keeps saying that he intends to sign Kessel but I don't see that happening.

Waiting until November could backfire since we will lose the right to match an offer sheet and will be forced to accept draft picks as compensation.

Tough situation and I hope they find a way to get him on the team

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from superlaser. Show superlaser's posts

Now we know why Kessel was picked 5th overall and not first like he was projected to. General managers that interviewed him said he had an attitude and was immature. Yes, he is a gifted goal scorer but if you check all the teams he scored against you will notice that a lot of those teams didn't make the playoffs. If he wants to really stay in Boston he could but I think he likes the $$$ too much. Like NEELY said "there's no fight in that dog"!! If he says that about him  then we as bruin fans should not be surprised he is let go and the sooner the better!!!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from stingerjp. Show stingerjp's posts

He has some holes in his game, but the B's are a much better team with him.  His strengths outweigh the weaknesses.  He's so young he is skills are not even close to peaking yet.

I know the salary cap is a big prob, but if they do decide to deal him I hope they get a game-changing A-list talent in return.  With all his faults, Kessel will be putting up big numbers for the next ten years or so...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from demon61384. Show demon61384's posts

What about Kessel for Malkin you might need to send a draft pick or some other considerations, but i think malkin would  be a nice fit. The only problem with that is kessel would probably be a 50 goal scorer if crosby was on his line.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from dwnset22. Show dwnset22's posts

In Response to The Kessel Thought:
    [QUOTE]I am not in any way an expert on the salary cap, but I believe this is correct based on how everything worked out with Sturm last year. I will start everything by sayign that there is no way Kessel gets 5 million and I do not know the Bruins actual cap status so I will assume they are right on the cap. Let's assume he gets 4 million because I believe that is what he will get. Now if I am correct when a player is on the IR his salary does not count against the cap (ie. Sturm). So let's now assume Kessel is out until the first week of December. So he misses 2 months. That brings his cap hit for the year somewhere in the range of 2.7 million. Now send Sabourin to the minors and his cap hit doesn't hurt. That brings us to 2.1 million. Now I would like to operate under the assumption that there is a major injury in the first two months, because there always seems to be one. This should get us pretty darn close to that 2 million more we need to free up. Everyone keeps saying that Kobasew or someone needs to go in order to keep Kessel. If we just wait this out things will more than likely take care of themselves. He can't go anywhere so just let him hold out til November or so and then sign him. I only want him on a 1 year deal though because I am not his biggest fan, because he can't play D and is a baby. Plus a lot of better young players contracts are coming up in the next couple of years.
    Posted by blead2121[/QUOTE]

You are right you don't know much about the cap. First if your going to send a goalie to the minors to save cap room it will be rask as he counts more than sabourin. Second the nhl will have to grant the bruins a salary cap exemption under the LTI rules, which is not a gaurantee because that is supposed to be used if th eplayer that is filling in would put the team over the cap, with our situation signing Kessel will put us over the cap. We may get the exemption we may not but they will probably need to clear 2.5 to 3.5 mil in salary to get under the cap if they sign him.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from canubthatdumb. Show canubthatdumb's posts

does anyone know if Sabourin would have to clear waivers if sent down?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from rush2112err. Show rush2112err's posts

In Response to Re: The Kessel Thought:
    [QUOTE]What about Kessel for Malkin you might need to send a draft pick or some other considerations, but i think malkin would  be a nice fit. The only problem with that is kessel would probably be a 50 goal scorer if crosby was on his line.
    Posted by demon61384[/QUOTE]

whatever. trade kessel we don't need him anyway. we have chara, savard and especially timmy thomas, the best goalie on the planet.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from canubthatdumb. Show canubthatdumb's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The Kessel Thought : whatever. trade kessel we don't need him anyway. we have chara, savard and especially timmy thomas, the best goalie on the planet.
    Posted by rush2112err[/QUOTE]very true.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsfaninMD81. Show BsfaninMD81's posts

If the Bruins are smart they will find a way to get Phil in the mix.  There are plenty of other players on the team who can do the grinding and banging.  I loved Cam but not every player has to be physical to be successful. Do the right thing PC.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from duinne. Show duinne's posts

Such comments as "he can't play D and is a baby" drive me insane. How many "babies" come back from cancer in less than a month (how well do you think YOU'D skate right after having a testicle removed?) and play the latter part of the season and through the playoffs with a freaking ripped labrum/rotator cuff that required MAJOR SURGERY? Do you have any CLUE how difficult that is? Perhaps if Kessel had moaned and complained about the pain, you might, but gee, he never said a word. What a baby.

And this: "NEELY said "there's no fight in that dog"!!" I ask you, please, give me a source, a link, where Neely ever said ANYTHING like that about Kessel. Neely was part of the team that drafted Kessel. Do you seriously believe they had no idea what the kid was like before they drafted him? You think they're that stupid?

Chiarelli: "Phil’s a good person — a very good person and a very good player — and we fully intend to keep him.”

http://www2.nesn.com/boston-bruins/2009/07/10/video-chiarelli-says-kessel-will-be-back-with-bruins/

Asked about that published report that Kessel was seeking a contract worth $5 million a year – which, by the way, would price him right out of the Bruins’ market, unless they unloaded a major salary to compensate — the 21-year-old forward chuckled.

“No, that’s false,” he said. “I don’t know where that gets reported from. I want to be a Bruin, so we’ll see what happens.” 

http://www.telegram.com/article/20090617/NEWS/906170409/1009/SPORTS

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from elosias. Show elosias's posts

You can't play a waiting game and leave things to chance with IR salary dumps and cap extensions.  It's to big of a 'what-if' scenario that could leave the team burned.  Also, you don't want that kind of question mark hanging over your team for two months.

I think he'll get traded, I would rather have him, but I think Kessel is trade bait.  I just hope he moves west, because I know he'll end up burning us if he goes.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from jem61. Show jem61's posts

Thank you duinne for injecting some FACTS into this discussion.  Kessel is most certainly not a 'baby.'  As mario11 pointed out, he does have holes in his game, but he's only 21 (not 23) and has shown substantial improvement each year so far.

Players with his kind of skill come along rarely.  He is not (yet) a complete player and that is why his current value is suppressed, i.e., he should sign for <4MIL.

As for his goals coming only against non-playoff teams, he put up 6-5-11 (led the team) with a +7 IN THE PLAYOFFS, playing with a MAJOR injury.  And he wasn't even on the #1 power play.

The unfortunate situation is that someone will have to go for Kessel to stay.  So the B's may end up having to trade Kessel, but if they do, as was mentioned above, they better get a true impact player in return...maybe not an immediate impact player (since such a player would come with an equal cap hit), but a definite can't miss prospect (or two).

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from TryToBearIt. Show TryToBearIt's posts

[QUOTE]Such comments as "he can't play D and is a baby" drive me insane. How many "babies" come back from cancer in less than a month (how well do you think YOU'D skate right after having a testicle removed?) and play the latter part of the season and through the playoffs with a freaking ripped labrum/rotator cuff that required MAJOR SURGERY? Do you have any CLUE how difficult that is? Perhaps if Kessel had moaned and complained about the pain, you might, but gee, he never said a word. What a baby. And this: "NEELY said "there's no fight in that dog"!!" I ask you, please, give me a source, a link, where Neely ever said ANYTHING like that about Kessel. Neely was part of the team that drafted Kessel. Do you seriously believe they had no idea what the kid was like before they drafted him? You think they're that stupid? Chiarelli: " Phil’s a good person — a very good person and a very good player — and we fully intend to keep him.” http://www2.nesn.com/boston-bruins/2009/07/10/video-chiarelli-says-kessel-will-be-back-with-bruins/ Asked about that published report that Kessel was seeking a contract worth $5 million a year – which, by the way, would price him right out of the Bruins’ market, unless they unloaded a major salary to compensate — the 21-year-old forward chuckled. “No, that’s false,” he said. “I don’t know where that gets reported from. I want to be a Bruin, so we’ll see what happens.”    http://www.telegram.com/article/20090617/NEWS/906170409/1009/SPORTS
    Posted by duinne[/QUOTE]

Couldn't agree with you more. Those comments about him being "soft" infuriate me as well. No one called Mike Lowell soft after he overcame testicular cancer, so someone should ask Mikey what it takes to come back from something like that and compete at a pro level, especially in a sports like hockey that's twice as demanding as baseball.

Also, can we stop already w/this nonsense about the teams he scored his 36 goals against (which, btw, was achieved while missing huge chunks of time to mono and injury)....goals are goals and are critical no matter who you're playing. If he scored them against some weaker teams it likely means that had he not, the B's may have lost some of those games.

Go back and watch the 2008 game 6 against Montreal and tell me if the B's would have had even a WHIFF of winning that game w/out Kessel.

There are several NHL clubs licking their cjhops hoping the Bruins are stupid enough to let this 23-year old potential 50-goal scorer go. Are there holes in his game? Sure. But he's 23 and has plenty of time to fix those holes while still putting up huge offensive numbers. More important: Great teams become great by keeping the core of young players--as many as possible--together so they can gel and read one another and develop that "on-ice E.S.P" that produces playoff wins. The B's have forever now had a revolving door of talent that is never allowed to grow together and establish an identity.

They have a chance to make that happen now w/Krejci, Savard, Lucic, Chara, and yes, KESSEL in that mix. Take away his huge goal output and let it go to another team (for what? Draft picks that may or may not pan out in a few years and will then also be let go when their contracts come up?) and the B's will get burned for it in the playoffs next year, no question.

PC and JJ: Sign him. Make it happen. Be creative if you have to. Show the fans you care.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from duinne. Show duinne's posts

Well said, TryToBearIt, though I'll just point out that Kessel is 21, not 23. Which of course is even better.

I'm quite certain Chiarelli wants to sign Kessel, but right now, the onus is on Arnott, Kessel's agent. As I've said before, the Bruins hold the cards, so it's up to Arnott to pick up the phone and hammer something out. Reportedly, the Bruins made an early offer that was turned down; why not submit a counter-offer? Maybe he did, I don't know, but if I was Phil, I'd be getting on my agent's case right about now. 

BTW, every time I see a fan complaining about a player's supposed lack of toughness, I always think of this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5IKI_e3XuUk

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from TryToBearIt. Show TryToBearIt's posts

[QUOTE]Well said, TryToBearIt, though I'll just point out that Kessel is 21, not 23. Which of course is even better. I'm quite certain Chiarelli wants to sign Kessel, but right now, the onus is on Arnott, Kessel's agent. As I've said before, the Bruins hold the cards, so it's up to Arnott to pick up the phone and hammer something out. Reportedly, the Bruins made an early offer that was turned down; why not submit a counter-offer? Maybe he did, I don't know, but if I was Phil, I'd be getting on my agent's case right about now.  BTW, every time I see a fan complaining about a player's supposed lack of toughness, I always think of this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5IKI_e3XuUk
    Posted by duinne[/QUOTE]

I love that ad--it's hilarious! Also like the one that shows fast food workers trying to do their jobs on ice.

I guess I stand corrected about kess's age--are you SURE he's only 21? I coulda sworn he just turned 23....but like you say....even younger means even better. I have to believe Kess wants something decided one way or the other before the season begins, even if he's out til December. Let's hope his agent isn't the hockey version of Scott Boras.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from blead2121. Show blead2121's posts

Enough with the cancer stuff. I am sick of people saying he is tough because he overcame cancer. He didn't really have any other choice.  It was as if he never had it. He had his nut removed immediately and it was done with. He is not a tough player. Not everyone has to be a grinder, I agree, but Krecji is not a grinder and I would never call him soft. Kessel avoids digging out a puck along the boards and only acts tough when Chara or Luc are there to back him up. He is a little dancing princess on the ice.  He has half the balls of everyone else on this team.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from duinne. Show duinne's posts

[QUOTE]Enough with the cancer stuff. I am sick of people saying he is tough because he overcame cancer. He didn't really have any other choice.  It was as if he never had it. He had his nut removed immediately and it was done with. He is not a tough player. Not everyone has to be a grinder, I agree, but Krecji is not a grinder and I would never call him soft. Kessel avoids digging out a puck along the boards and only acts tough when Chara or Luc are there to back him up. He is a little dancing princess on the ice.  He has half the balls of everyone else on this team.
    Posted by blead2121[/QUOTE]

This is such a patently ridiculous statement that I shouldn't even bother answering; I'll just point out that if you're calling Kessel and "little dancing princess" on the ice, you've never seen him play. And even if you discount the cancer (which is mind boggling), you simply cannot ignore the fact that he played (and played well) with an injury that would put an average human being in the hospital. How on earth you can say he has "half the balls of everyone else" when he did something like that? You have no clue about the pain involved in a torn labrum and rotator cuff, do you? Zdeno Chara had a similar injury in the 2008 playoffs and could barely raise his arm, and his tear was nowhere near as severe.

Went looking on youtube and found a video of Kessel's goals last year. Watching them again is just amazing - my word, that kid is an absolute sniper. What on earth do you want him digging out pucks on the boards for, when he's so deadly around the net? Use your weapons the way they're most effective. A hockey team, as Steve Begin said the other day, needs every type of player to succeed - grinders, hitters, snipers, playmakers. Kessel's job is to put the puck in the net. Wayne Gretzky wasn't much of a digger either, but he was a pretty good player.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rqXSQz6FI5s

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from blead2121. Show blead2121's posts

How do you even dispute the half the balls comment. That was simply a statement of fact. He has one and everyone else has two.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from duinne. Show duinne's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The Kessel Thought : I love that ad--it's hilarious! Also like the one that shows fast food workers trying to do their jobs on ice. I guess I stand corrected about kess's age--are you SURE he's only 21? I coulda sworn he just turned 23....but like you say....even younger means even better. I have to believe Kess wants something decided one way or the other before the season begins, even if he's out til December. Let's hope his agent isn't the hockey version of Scott Boras.
    Posted by TryToBearIt[/QUOTE]

Yes, Kessel was born in October 1987, so he'll be turning 22 next month. Maybe you're thinking of Krejci, who turned 23 in April?

I don't think Arnott can be equated with Boras (AFAIK, no hockey agent is on that level). But right now, time is on the Bruins' side, and Kessel's options are limited. Chiarelli said he'll match any RFA offer sheet (and as I noted in another post, RFA offer sheets are very rare); if Kessel doesn't get one, he either signs with Boston by Oct. 1 (or is it Nov. 1? I keep forgetting), sits out the season, or plays in Europe.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from J0646. Show J0646's posts

Don't need a 30+ goal scorer? What planet...? As for the testicular cancer talk, maybe it's best to leave that conversation to the health blogs.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from relicsun. Show relicsun's posts

Nice to see good discussion and debate going on here.
    Kessel is a good player that will not grind it out because he may not need to.
    I do think at times Kess looked soft. Then again there were times last year where I saw an elite player take over the game. I think he looks soft when players were reacting to the defence jumping on him quicker as the season went on. It was like since he wasn't a step a head of the D-men and they made it a two on one instead of a one on one and/or a complete fast break.
    So he has wholes in his game. So didn't Savard and so doesn't other good players. But with Savard it took time to mature until he became a two way player. I think Kess will need that time as well.
    My biggest fear is that we get nothing in return for him if PC ends up HAVING TO trade the one nut wonder.
    I still think the D could use an upgrade but not because they are weak but because I think they could be that much better.
    Love Ference but he is a injury away from retirement. Plus his plate is full with him being so involved in the Union.
    Man what a mess the NHL is heading to. The sport can not take another hit and defiantly can not lose another season. But I digress.
    Anyways Boston Faithful. We have one consolation which is PC is not Sinden or O'Connell. So there is hope in the right things being done.
    Bring the Cup back to it's rightful place.
    GO B!!!!!!!!!!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Sorry what?  I missed all that.  I was ... building a birdhouse...yeah...a birdhouse....

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from BruinsCountry. Show BruinsCountry's posts

Blead2121, since you can't spell, can we assume you're just another Montreal troll?  I think so, see ya.