The pot calling the kettle black

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Skaswatch. Show Skaswatch's posts

The pot calling the kettle black

Jeremy Jacobs poopoo's Jim Basillie and his attempts to move PHX to Hamilton. Bettman and his top flunky, Jacobs, continue to try to blackball Basillie from the NHL, even though he is bidding almost $70,000,000 more than the next highest bidder.

"We voted to deny approval to Mr. Balsillie because we concluded he lacks the good character and integrity required of a new owner" required under NHL bylaws, said Jacobs, chairman of the league's board of governors.

I don't feel bad for Basillie, he's stepped on too many toes, but true to Bettman fashion, he has to do a top job of embarrassing himself first. Just give the guy a franchise and cut your losses from Phoenix. Maybe it will keep some of these other owners on their toes.

And you notice whenever Bettman is in trouble he calls for Jacob's hand-up-the-puppet's-arse routine.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from scottm50. Show scottm50's posts

Re: The pot calling the kettle black

Unlike the situation in Pheonix, Basille has the money, passion and a great place to put a team...if he had one.  It would be a win win situation for all involved but the "Old Boys Club" seem to be scared of new money with a brain! Too bad, I think he would have been good for the league.  The NHL will never be on par with the big three in professional sports unless they get rid of Bettman.  Hes a little weazel who is single handedly ruining hockey. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheRealist. Show TheRealist's posts

WOW.

Thats like Hitler calling someone out for being a racist

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

That whole thing STINKS !  If Jacobs is involved on Basillie not getting a franchise he just plain stupid !
    The way the league is setup the Bruins ownership will have to swallow part of the losses that Pheonix has.   That's what revenue sharing is and Pheonix have no revenue ,  they're in major negative numbers. GET IT BUTTMAN AND JEREMY !!!
    So yes keep the team in a city that hockey just will not work (even Wayne can't make it work) . Keep losing millions.
    Meanwhile the KHL plans to expand to Sweden and then Finland.  WAKE UP BUTTMAN !

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

The way that Jeremy Jacobs conducts himself and what flies out of his mouth will never suprise me in anyway at all. The only 2 owners that should have any say or be advised on this matter are the ownership groups of the Sabres and Leafs.

They would have to give up some market share. This latest statement from Jacobs is just one filthy rich Billionaire being envious and spiteful of an upncomer like Balsillie. Why does the NHL need Bettman if he can't make decisions on his own ?

Let someone take the Coyotes up to Canada. All you herd last year on CBC Hockey night in Canada is canadian hockey fans whining about wanting more teams up there. Confusing because as Bslegion points out "all the owners are losing money". If the Leafs and Sabres ok it Balsillie should be allowed to move them.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from elosias. Show elosias's posts

Does anyone know an actual reason why everyone in owenership (EVERYONE, it's unanimous) hates this Basille guy?  Not the usual anti-Bettman tripe, but a real reason?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

In Response to Re: The pot calling the kettle black:
    [QUOTE]Does anyone know an actual reason why everyone in owenership (EVERYONE, it's unanimous) hates this Basille guy?  Not the usual anti-Bettman tripe, but a real reason?
    Posted by elosias[/QUOTE]

Yes why ???
    It's taboo to talk about it and knowbody ever really answers the question.
    I also what the actual reason.
    Anybody know ?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Skaswatch. Show Skaswatch's posts

One reason is because the "Boys Club" is just like the mafia, there's a certain amount of tribute you have to pay (i.e., buttkissin'), and if you don't try to do things the right way, adios.

Actually wait, let me make another analogy. There's this ultra-swanky private golf country club. You want in, but don't want to file the paperwork, wait for a vote, wait for the 8 month waiting period, get friendly with everyone, etc. You just want in, f__k everyone else. You're the Rodney Dangerfield of golf. But you have a plan. You decide to find one of their members (Mr. Arizona) out in the parking lot, and offer him $212 million for his golf outfit and his car. So what if this plan didn't work when you approached Mr. Pittsburgh or Mr. Nashville? Third time's a charm, right? Thing is, you know Mr. Arizona is a degenerate poor spender and will take all the money so he can pay off his enormous debts. So after you buy his car, clubs and outfit, you put on all his clothes and park his car 10ft. from the front door. Except there isn't a parking spot for you. The newbie parking is way at the far end of the lot. You just wedged Mr. Arizona's car in the 2ft. space between Mr. Buffalo's and Mr. Ontario's cars. Whoopsie! Certainly they won't mind? No need to ask because you don't talk to these people anyways. Then you try to sneak in the kitchen side door, hoping nobody notices. Okay! Four! Anyone? Anyone??

That probably made no sense, but here's a couple of quotes from the article: 

"This court should put an end to Mr. Moyes' and Mr. Balsillie's jointly devised scheme to force entry into the league through the bankruptcy 'side door,"' the NHL said in its Friday filing. "There is only a front door, and it is now unavailable to Mr. Balsillie in accordance with the NHL's constitution and bylaws."

"Mr. Balsillie's answers during the interview only served to confirm our conclusion that he is not willing to comply with league rules and procedures and would not be a good business partner," Jacobs said.

He's like Mark Cuban, but instead of being a fly by the seat of your pants maverick loudmouth, he's a fly by the seat of your pants maverick dumb_ss. Legally hijacking a team from the NHL is not smart. If he did it the right way and took his time, maybe he'd have a shot. But he got one wrong answer from Bettman (no relocation) and made it a personal mission to legally secure his own NHL team without involving the NHL at all.

So Jacobs was all like:

"No way."

I just like how Jacob's is Bettman's trump card when he needs to tout "business sense" and "respectability".

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from elosias. Show elosias's posts

I can see that point Skaswatch, which is how I was seeing it.  It just sounds to simplistic to be true. 

My only real reference is from Esposito's biography, detailing what he went through with the Tampa Bay Lightning franchise.  Being 'one of the boys' wasn't enough for him, cause he was.  Omitting the financial backing part, they're was a lot of political maneuvering by individuals that really didn't have anything at stake in the team itself, but more of the markets it effected (i.e. mayors, city developers, etc.).

I guess what I'm trying to say, especially when your talking about what is basically a millionares club... someone's toes got stepped on by Basille.  And it doesn't even have to be hockey related since most of these owners have money invested in other things (realstate, banks, etc.). 

Maybe Basille made a power move on one or more of the other owners in a capacity that none of us as hockey fans care about, or even know about.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

Skaswatch,  I agree with all you said and agree with you. There has to be more to this than just not going about it the right way.
    elosias,  what you are saying is just speculation but in the end we all know there's some BS reason that only these billionaires would know about.  Their code !
    One thing for sure in any of these professional leagues knowbody can try to force themselves in without taking the proper route.   
    No judge will make that decision to infiltrate any League's " in trust agreement".

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beer-League-Goalie. Show Beer-League-Goalie's posts

Balsiile was winning the war with Bettman & the NHL, so the NHLs and Jacobs last resort is to start a mud slinging campaign. Typical American thugs, they are losing a fair fight to a good Canadian billionaire who loves hockey so they have to cheat.

I guess the NHL woud prefer a criminal owner, like DelBaggio or McNall. But maybe hockey just will never work in Arizona.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BruinsUnite. Show BruinsUnite's posts

Boys' Club?

I found something interesting to explain their distrust of Basiille.

When he tried to buy the Penguins, he promised to keep the team in Pittsburgh.

"Mr. Jeremy Jacobs, owner of the Boston Bruins and Chairman of the NHL Board of Governors, pointedly asked Mr. Balsillie if he was committed to keeping the Penguins in Pittsburgh. Mr. Balsillie's unequivocal answer was yes'."

"During the interview Mr. Balsillie orally agreed to a provision that would have given the League the option to buy the Club from Mr. Balsillie at the price he had paid for the Club in the event that the two arena deals under contemplation failed."

"Based on his  ... agreement  ... during the interview, the Executive Committee recommended his approval as an owner to the NHL Board of Governors."

"When it came time to reduce that commitment to writing, however, Mr. Balsillie refused to do so. He claimed that putting his prior commitments in writing would take away his "leverage" in negotiations for a new arena in Pittsburgh. To address his stated concern, the League offered to move the terms related to his commitment to Pittsburgh into a confidential side letter, rather than the standard form consent agreement."

"But Mr. Balsillie refused to sign the side letter and ultimately backed out of the deal."

The evidence for this is in writing, and part of it comes from Basillie's own lawyer's records. He was scamming. Hence the distrust.

Source:
    http://www.bizofhockey.com/docs/BettmanEmail.pdf

HTML version

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Reilly24. Show Reilly24's posts

Re: Boys' Club?

In Response to Boys' Club?:
    [QUOTE]I found something interesting to explain their distrust of Basiille. When he tried to buy the Penguins, he promised to keep the team in Pittsburgh. "Mr. Jeremy Jacobs, owner of the Boston Bruins and Chairman of the NHL Board of Governors, pointedly asked Mr. Balsillie if he was committed to keeping the Penguins in Pittsburgh. Mr. Balsillie's unequivocal answer was yes'." "During the interview Mr. Balsillie orally agreed to a provision that would have given the League the option to buy the Club from Mr. Balsillie at the price he had paid for the Club in the event that the two arena deals under contemplation failed." "Based on his  ... agreement  ... during the interview, the Executive Committee recommended his approval as an owner to the NHL Board of Governors." "When it came time to reduce that commitment to writing, however, Mr. Balsillie refused to do so. He claimed that putting his prior commitments in writing would take away his "leverage" in negotiations for a new arena in Pittsburgh. To address his stated concern, the League offered to move the terms related to his commitment to Pittsburgh into a confidential side letter, rather than the standard form consent agreement." "But Mr. Balsillie refused to sign the side letter and ultimately backed out of the deal." The evidence for this is in writing, and part of it comes from Basillie's own lawyer's records. He was scamming. Hence the distrust. Source: http://www.bizofhockey.com/docs/BettmanEmail.pdf HTML version
    Posted by BruinsUnite[/QUOTE]

Nice work girlfriend. I live very close to Hamilton and I gotta tell you that I hope this city never gets an NHL team. Although the NHL would likely sell out every night there, Hamilton has never supported any level of hockey. I go to Bulldog games and the place is more than half empty. Like I said they will sell out NHL games but this city hasn't earned a team.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from dasrmd. Show dasrmd's posts

The good ol' boy network wants to keep that Hamilton area open for expansion in the future.  That would be far more cash in the owners pockets ($150-$300 million in an expansion franchise fee) than allowing Mr. Blackberry to move the Coyotes there.  That's the bottom line!  As it always is! MONEY!!!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kanes-Donuts. Show Kanes-Donuts's posts

keep the team in phoenix better there than in the wild back country of canada do they even have running water and electricity in hamilton canada? lol

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ksp1957. Show ksp1957's posts

I'm a firm believer in only having NHL franchises where there actually IS ice in the winter and the lakes, rivers and ponds freeze over. So I would move the franchises out of Nashville, Phoenix, Florida, Anaheim and Tampa Bay. Los Angeles would get an exemption because that city was part of the original expansion from 6 to 12 teams. Move all the others to Canadian cities so Kane's Donuts will have to get a geography lesson and figure out where all these places are.Laughing

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kanes-Donuts. Show Kanes-Donuts's posts

i know the geography of the good old U.S. of A and thats all the geography anyone needs to know if I need a guide to the remote wilds of canada ill call grizzly adams lol.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

I'm not going to be as thorough as BruinsUnite, but Balsillie has repeatedly tried to trick or to force the NHL to let him have his way.  He's been looking for loopholes since day one, mostly because the Leafs and Sabres have always and will always block any attempt to add another team in southern Ontario.  The owners of NHL teams consider themselves business partners, not competitors.  The teams they own may bleed to win, but as a business, the owners are shareholders in the NHL brand.  Balsillie has shown no interest in respecting the framework of that partnership.  I wouldn't trust the guy to wash my socks for fear of getting back a cheaper pair that looks almost the same.

As for Jacobs/Bettman: Bettman works for Jacobs, not the other way around.  If the board (and JJ is or was the chair) didn't like Bettman's plan, they'd kick him to the curb.  There was some speculation that, if the cap system didn't work as promised, they would dump Bettman for Bill Daly, who was promoted when the last deal was struck.  Whoever's in place will answer to Jacobs and the old guard though - they wield a big stick still.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

Well done Unite or should I say " Well done Watson !"

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BruinsUnite. Show BruinsUnite's posts

Thanks. It didn't take long at all, and it's good to know what all the hype & hatred is about.

I didn't post everything there but he did tghe same kind of thing more than once. It's all in the legal document, which I'm not going to read in full!

As for Hamilton: It's actually a pretty happening city for its size, because it's a university town, and there are a few universities right around there. So lots of hockey fans and lots of athletes.

But I have to say, it almost sounds like this Balsillie dude has some kind of weird personality disorder. I mean, it's really hard to get oractically everyone in the league to hate you, and that in itself is a little beyond conspiracy theories about the boys' club. There's probably good reason for it.

Just try to picture this guy as an owner with no allies / friends in the NHL. The team would definitely get a piece of that attitude-- with the league against your very existence, it might be hard to get good exposure, representation from the league when you need it, etc.

BTW, Balsillie also started selling tickets for his non-existent team in Hamilton before anyone agreed to sell him a team. Don't remember which one it was that time. Maybe Nashville.

Again, it sounds kinda creepy.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from elosias. Show elosias's posts

Here's an older article that talks about some other facets of Mr. Basilles relocation bid that I at least hadn't considered.  If you're bored with Kessel talks, here you go.

http://slapshot.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/05/08/the-morning-skate-the-problem-with-jim-balsillie/

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beer-League-Goalie. Show Beer-League-Goalie's posts

The creditors that are owed a ton of money from the Phoenix Coyotes have a right to be paid. The judge knows this.

Basille is the only owner putting enough cash up to cover them. His offer is over $50 million more than the second best offer. The NHL knows this.

Therefore the NHL has now resorted to mud slinging and slander, their last hope to keep Basille out.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from elosias. Show elosias's posts

[QUOTE]The creditors that are owed a ton of money from the Phoenix Coyotes have a right to be paid. The judge knows this. Basille is the only owner putting enough cash up to cover them. His offer is over $50 million more than the second best offer. The NHL knows this. Therefore the NHL has now resorted to mud slinging and slander, their last hope to keep Basille out.
    Posted by Beer-League-Goalie[/QUOTE]

I haven't seen the league make any published statement regarding Basille that hasn't been proven true.  The more I look at it, the more I see that Basille just plain won't take no for an answer, and will do anything to get his way. 

Rules are rules right?  I don't like the trapezoid, but that doesn't mean Thomas isn't going to take a delay of game penalty if he plays the puck in the corner.

As long as the creditors get paid, the choice of owenership is purely up to the owners, whether Basille likes it or not.

Am I right?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beer-League-Goalie. Show Beer-League-Goalie's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The pot calling the kettle black : I haven't seen the league make any published statement regarding Basille that hasn't been proven true.  The more I look at it, the more I see that Basille just plain won't take no for an answer, and will do anything to get his way.  Rules are rules right?  I don't like the trapezoid, but that doesn't mean Thomas isn't going to take a delay of game penalty if he plays the puck in the corner. As long as the creditors get paid, the choice of owenership is purely up to the owners, whether Basille likes it or not. Am I right?
    Posted by elosias[/QUOTE]

You are only right if Gary Bettman, Jeremey Jacobs and the rest of the BOG are reading your post. Otherwise, you are wrong.

Keeping a hockey team in a market that neither wants or can support it is not good business. It's bad for the bottom line and bad PR for the sport.

Phoenix is just the flavor of the month. There are plenty of other teams heading for major financial trouble.

And when the Pens were about to die, it was Bettman who sought out Basille. Basille's integrity was NOT an issue then, was it? 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Canadianfan6. Show Canadianfan6's posts

IHey Redn come up to Canada and we will hook your balls up to our electricityn Response to Re: The pot calling the kettle black:
    [QUOTE]keep the team in phoenix better there than in the wild back country of canada do they even have running water and electricity in hamilton canada? lol
    Posted by Kanes-Donuts[/QUOTE]