Thomas or Rask - Who WILL be Number 1

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Devanjan. Show Devanjan's posts

Thomas or Rask - Who WILL be Number 1

Over at the NESN site, they have conceded the number 1 goalie position to Rask. They indicate that Timmy has to regain that title. All Boston sports writers acknowledge that Thomas had an "off year". Played down is the pain that he played through during the latter part of the season yet he put off surgury until seasons end. Notwithstanding that, he still put up 5 shutouts and had decent GAA and Save percentages.  His win/loss numbers suffered but then the team couldn't/wouldn't score when he was in net . My question - By Christmas, will Timmy have regained the number 1 title or will be be in a 1(a) and 1(b) goalie situation?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mxx. Show mxx's posts

Re: Thomas or Rask - Who WILL be Number 1

no

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Newfiebullet. Show Newfiebullet's posts

I have never been a huge fan of Tim THomas' style. I think his style creates chaos for the Dmen around him & his style causes him to be out of position a lot which is the reason he has made some highlite reel saves in the past. I certainly believe that Rask is the guy & will be the guy going forward as opposed to Thomas. I have been against the Thomas signing since the day Chia pannicked & signed him to a 4 yr deal. That was bad enough but the fact he also gave him a NTC/NMC with Rask who was highly touted at the time & waiting in the wings was ridiculous. Add to that the fact that it is a 35+ contract makes it that much more of an albatross.

However, with all that said I am a Bruins fan 1st & foremost. So I really hope that Thomas can rebound in some form & increase his trade value. It is evident that the Bruins could not find a taker in the summer. Given the goalie market this summer another team would have been fools to take that gamble. So if Thomas can rebound at least as a solid backup or even split 50% of the time with Rask another team maybe willing to take a gamble at the deadline if they need a tender.

If Thomas continues to decline into this season he will continue to be untradeable. Hence the Bruins will be stuck with that contract for an additional 2 yrs after this one since it is a 35+ contract. The best case scenerio for the Bruins now is for THomas to rebound & at least put up some decent backup numbers.

As for your original question. I believe Rask will continue to be the number 1 but Thomas will play in an attempt for the Bs to increase his trade value so they can at some point rid themselves of that albatross contract. Chia, more then anyone, wants Thomas to rebound because that signing has made Chia look like a fool. Apparently he didn't realize the rules of the CBA when he signed Thomas.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Rask will stay #1 but Thomas will get more than allot of #2 goaltenders Rask did look worn by the end of the Flyers this cannot happen again.

The 2009 Vezina winner whom played hurt in 2010 but still had a .915 save % with 5 shutouts and a 2.56 GAA. What a downward spiral so quickly Timmy is terrible. Wink Yah you're right nobody would want this bum LoL!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Reilly24. Show Reilly24's posts

I still believe that this season will start the way it was with Moog and Lemelin back in the day. I think Timmy will be back to form and Rask will just continue from last season. Our team will score more goals this year and the boys in goal will be shutting the door night in and night out. Gonna be a great season to watch.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Newfiebullet. Show Newfiebullet's posts

In Response to Re: Thomas or Rask - Who WILL be Number 1:
    [QUOTE]Rask will stay #1 but Thomas will get more than allot of #2 goaltenders Rask did look worn by the end of the Flyers this cannot happen again. The 2009 Vezina winner whom played hurt in 2010 but still had a .915 save % with 5 shutouts and a 2.56 GAA. What a downward spiral so quickly Timmy is terrible. Yah you're right nobody would want this bum LoL!
    Posted by SanDogBrewin[/QUOTE]

Actually it is pretty evident nobody did. If the Bruins could have a got a 4th round pick I bet they would have dealt Thomas. He has a NMC & noone is willing to take a risk on him for that kind of money after the inconsistent season he had.

I do agree the Bruins will give him playing time to try & increase his trade value but that could go both ways.

As for the injury. Didn't Thomas say the injury was aggravated in early March. I think he may have played 1 game after that. What happened to him after December? The guy was a huge bustr after getting his money.

As for the guy who said " Timmy is such a competitor". People make it sound like he is the only competitor in the sportsworld. I am sure Rask is a competitor as well. He showed it last year when he was a "supposed" backup for the next 2 seasons with the supposed # 1 signed to a longterm, big money deal & the front office hoping he could rebound to not look like morons. Rask didn't give up. He kept playing well until CJ had no choice but to go with him. Does that not show Rask is also a "competitor"?

Thomas' competitiveness didn't help him much last season. Hopefully he is better this year so the Bruins can find some desperate team to take on that contract. I am not holding my breath though.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from anddebbv. Show anddebbv's posts

In Response to Thomas or Rask - Who WILL be Number 1:
    [QUOTE]Over at the NESN site, they have conceded the number 1 goalie position to Rask. They indicate that Timmy has to regain that title. All Boston sports writers acknowledge that Thomas had an "off year". Played down is the pain that he played through during the latter part of the season yet he put off surgury until seasons end. Notwithstanding that, he still put up 5 shutouts and had decent GAA and Save percentages.  His win/loss numbers suffered but then the team couldn't/wouldn't score when he was in net . My question - By Christmas, will Timmy have regained the number 1 title or will be be in a 1(a) and 1(b) goalie situation?
    Posted by Devanjan[/QUOTE]

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from anddebbv. Show anddebbv's posts

[QUOTE]Over at the NESN site, they have conceded the number 1 goalie position to Rask. They indicate that Timmy has to regain that title. All Boston sports writers acknowledge that Thomas had an "off year". Played down is the pain that he played through during the latter part of the season yet he put off surgury until seasons end. Notwithstanding that, he still put up 5 shutouts and had decent GAA and Save percentages.  His win/loss numbers suffered but then the team couldn't/wouldn't score when he was in net . My question - By Christmas, will Timmy have regained the number 1 title or will be be in a 1(a) and 1(b) goalie situation?
    Posted by Devanjan[/QUOTE]Tim THOMAS WILL BE # 1 IN BOSTON RASK  SHOWED HIS STUFF ON WEAK GOALS SO IF JULIAN DOESNT SMELL THE BACON THIS YEAR  HE WILL BE THE FIRST TO GET A PINK SLIP , THE BRUINS HAVE A POWER HOUSE THIS YEAR ,IT TAKES 20 PLAYERS TO WIN AN BRING HOME LORD STANLEY  BACK TO BOSTON ITS TIME THE PUT THE RIGHT KEY IN PROVINCENCE TO WIN  THEY HAVE ALOT OF TALENT THANK YOU TO THE TORONTO MAPLE LEAFS ON GETTIN SEGUIN AN THANK YOU TO BRIAN BURKE FOR BEING A A S S HOLE

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from screw-cindy-and-ovie. Show screw-cindy-and-ovie's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Thomas or Rask - Who WILL be Number 1 : Tim THOMAS WILL BE # 1 IN BOSTON RASK  SHOWED HIS STUFF ON WEAK GOALS SO IF JULIAN DOESNT SMELL THE BACON THIS YEAR  HE WILL BE THE FIRST TO GET A PINK SLIP , THE BRUINS HAVE A POWER HOUSE THIS YEAR ,IT TAKES 20 PLAYERS TO WIN AN BRING HOME LORD STANLEY  BACK TO BOSTON ITS TIME THE PUT THE RIGHT KEY IN PROVINCENCE TO WIN  THEY HAVE ALOT OF TALENT THANK YOU TO THE TORONTO MAPLE LEAFS ON GETTIN SEGUIN AN THANK YOU TO BRIAN BURKE FOR BEING A A S S HOLE
    Posted by anddebbv[/QUOTE]
    Oh the Comedy!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from NorthernBrewin. Show NorthernBrewin's posts

I'd have to think it's Tuukka's to lose but I'd like to see Tank play a strong supporting role this year.

Tuukka 50-60 games, Tank, the balance.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

"Actually it is pretty evident nobody did"

Only because of the labrum operation once he shows he can still improve on those not so shabby numbers PC will field calls. PC knows he can bury Ryder in the minors once Sturm comes back so he will not be in any hurry to trade Thomas it will have to be the right offer. Thomas has plenty of hockey left in him. He simply got out performed by a younger better goaltender.

.915 save % with 5 shutouts and a 2.56 GAA is not a bust. So there's nothing to hold your breath on. I would still rather have a proven sniper winger with that money but until PC decides to do such I will have confidence in TT.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Thomas or Rask - Who WILL be Number 1 : ummmm you want thomas in their to avoid weak goals. Cmon man, he is known for his weak goals. I can understand you liking him, but he is the very definition of inconsistant. do i need to show you that video of the semin goal? or that OT goal against the penguins where he hands the puck to staal?
    Posted by pbergeron37[/QUOTE]

Actually, he's not known for weak goals.  He's known for his unconventional style and competitive approach.

Keep in mind that every goaltender has gaffs.  After further review, it turns out that none of them are perfect.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from dc-bruins-fan. Show dc-bruins-fan's posts

No doubt that Rask is the presumptive starter, based on last year's performance. Tim Thomas, though, is an excellent goaltender and a very competitive individual. Julien will go with whoever is playing best, and given the length of a season, I expect the starter's role to fluctuate between the two goaltenders, with Rask getting the majority of the starts (around 55).

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]I still believe that this season will start the way it was with Moog and Lemelin back in the day. I think Timmy will be back to form and Rask will just continue from last season. Our team will score more goals this year and the boys in goal will be shutting the door night in and night out. Gonna be a great season to watch.
    Posted by Reilly24[/QUOTE]

No negative response from me here.  I see the same thing happening.  Can't wait.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from fordprefect. Show fordprefect's posts

Rask 70% Thomas 30%

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from NumbaFouwer. Show NumbaFouwer's posts

I'll go with 60/40 for Rask. Timmy might be showcased, in case some team wants him (not that I think Timmy gets traded).

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from duinne. Show duinne's posts

[QUOTE]No doubt that Rask is the presumptive starter, based on last year's performance. Tim Thomas, though, is an excellent goaltender and a very competitive individual. Julien will go with whoever is playing best, and given the length of a season, I expect the starter's role to fluctuate between the two goaltenders, with Rask getting the majority of the starts (around 55).
    Posted by dc-bruins-fan[/QUOTE]

This. The Bruins will be a much better team with both goalies playing at their best and contributing. No goalie should be expected to shoulder the vast majority of the load - it's just too much. 

As for "bad goals," every goalie in the NHL has let in his share. It happens to everyone. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In Response to Re: Thomas or Rask - Who WILL be Number 1:[QUOTE]I'll go with 60/40 for Rask. Timmy might be showcased in case some team wants him (not that I think Timmy gets traded). Posted by NumbaFouwer[/QUOTE]

That's where i think it will be Thomas's confidence will shake if he rides the bench too much. They'll probably spilt in Prague to start.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from hockey-101. Show hockey-101's posts

The goalie that plays the best.No such thing as favorites with 90 games in a season.Whos hot plays.That simple.It does usually work out 75/25 who that is by the end of the year is the big question.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from hockey-101. Show hockey-101's posts

More thoughts about being a #1 goalie,
                                      1) you dont have to backcheck
                                      2) you dont have to take the body
                                      3) you dont have to score
                                      4) you dont have the coaches in your ear
                                      5) you dont have to take a hit

You stop pucks from going behind you.If you dont, you dont play.That is a lot easier than talking about say Phil Kessel or Tyler Seguin,true?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from No4BobbyOrr-GOAT. Show No4BobbyOrr-GOAT's posts

Cj doesn't like TT, but he will play them a lot more even as this year the goals will go in.

TT's drop last year was a byproduct of the team slurping, Rask playing well, him punching a wall and an injury that "DID" require surgery, he will regain his form and give poor Cj headaches because he will have to play him whether he likes to or not.

Actually Colborne still may take the #1 spot, as he says, whatever it takes.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from duinne. Show duinne's posts

[QUOTE]Cj doesn't like TT, but he will play them a lot more even as this year the goals will go in. TT's drop last year was a byproduct of the team slurping, Rask playing well, him punching a wall and an injury that "DID" require surgery, he will regain his form and give poor Cj headaches because he will have to play him whether he likes to or not. Actually Colborne still may take the #1 spot, as he says, whatever it takes.
    Posted by No4BobbyOrr-GOAT[/QUOTE]

Julien doesn't like Thomas? How do you know that?

And a goalie - or any other player, for that matter - who plays well is not a headache.

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from BruinsFanFromMontreal. Show BruinsFanFromMontreal's posts

i believe thomas will regain his strong play of 2 years ago.

last year he didnt play so bad, just that Rask was too good to pull out.

this year, Thomas still won't be that great, but Rask wont be as good as last year.  it happens to many times for goalie.  a sophomore jinx. 

im looking forward for TT to be #1 again... so he can be traded.