Thornton

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from eyeinthesky. Show eyeinthesky's posts

Thornton

It is time to consider a replacement for Thornton. He gave it his best this year and finished the season with 21 fights.  Although that's good for 7th in the league, this is not a good indication of his impact on the team.  Thornton was invisible this season, his 1 goal output is useless and could be eclipsed by anyone. Thornton is not the same player that pummeled Cote twice two years ago.  21 fights is great, but how many of them do you remember? How many were momentum changing? How many of them were good fights where he didn't pick on someone smaller than him? the only memorable fights from this year was when he got floored by carcillo and the matt cooke "revenge" fight that really didn't help the cause > we all know cooke still needs another beat down so the job was not finished.  I really like Thornton cuz I think he's a great locker room guy, sticks up for his teammates, and is dirt cheap.  However, the time has come to add new muscle.  Macdermid is an up and comer, but at least 2 seasons away.  We can get someone better than Thornton, at relatively similar cost, who can produce more, is more feared, will protect the young & skilled guys, and can change the momentum. 

I would like to see: 
    Jody Shelley - true heavyweight making 725K
    Brad May - Experienced Vet who can play and is still a force - 500K
    Ivanans - This guy is pure evil - 600K. Can't play hockey though
    David Clarkson - RFA due for a raise, Solid player who can contribute in both ends and a great team guy - 875K
    Brandon Prust - small, but exciting Rypien-type fighter - 500K
    All would be due a small raise, but nothing over 1M except Clarkson.  I would love Clarkson and Ivanans.

Or Resign Thornton for league minimum again...I'm ok with it, but not excited

must consider minutes and rolling lines with some of these guys

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from NumbaFouwer. Show NumbaFouwer's posts

Re: Thornton

Thornton does seem to get along with the Boston media though (ex. The Sports Hub) .... I would also add Derek Boogaard, as tough a fighter as there is, to your list. Made $1.25 million last season, thus probably won't come cheap.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

Shelley is not long for the NHL...too many pops to the melon...useless as a hockey player...I like Prust and Clarkson a lot...but will also get a huge raise...Asham is the guy I would target...he will get a raise as well but can play on the 3rd line if need be...Brad May will apparently only play for the Leafs...

Boogie man is useless...no one fights him and he can't play the game...

Thornton shows up, can play the game and is a good team guy...keep Thorton and add Asham

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from biggskye. Show biggskye's posts

THORNTON was the LEAST of the bruin's problems this year. He was probably the only forward to actually earn his paycheques.
    The only problem he had, was Claude DAM Julien kept putting him out in situations he shouldn't be in. Last minute, down a goal? What other coach would put a 4th line banger on the ice? Oh well, must have been his turn in the rotation.
    Julien should have been a baseball manager. He could just make up his batting order, then sit back and watch the game.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Mike Grier isn't a fighter but he can certainly police with size and hitting he is a UFA plus might take a home town discount. You figure Ference's cranky groin will keep him out quite a bit so the Lone Wolf McQuaid could help in that department with assists every once in awhile from the caveman Stu.

If PC insists on a pugilist then the Bruins might want to think about Jamal Mayers he's a free agent.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichmondHillOntario. Show RichmondHillOntario's posts

In Response to Re: Thornton:
    Thornton does seem to get along with the Boston media though (ex. The Sports Hub) .... I would also add Derek Boogaard, as tough a fighter as there is, to your list.
    Posted by NumbaFouwer

Agreed!  Thornton seems approachable, good-natured and affable and is more than capable at performing the role that he does for the team.  That said, I admit I've quietly wondered if our club didn't require some additonal primary "toughness," along the lines of some of the names already mentioned or if there is someone already within the organization who could assume the duty. 

It appears some clubs have more than one policeman on their rosters, like Chicago with Eager and Burish, plus the Canucks' Shane O'Brien, Rick Rypien and Darcy Hordichuk, while some, like the Caps, Buffalo and the Wings, have no true enforcer, choosing to travel the "team tough" route. 

We all know Chara, Lucic and Stuart have shown they can take care of business but their value in on the ice, not in the box.  This leaves Thornton to handle things on his own.  I'd like to see the addition of another player to pair with Thornton in this regard as a kind of "primary-secondary" toughness element.  Whose spot he'd take on the roster, I don't know.  Just a thought.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from felixwas. Show felixwas's posts

Sabres re-signed Greer this week.

In Response to Re: Thornton:
    Mike Grier isn't a fighter but he can certainly police with size and hitting he is a UFA plus might take a home town discount. You figure Ference's cranky groin will keep him out quite a bit so the Lone Wolf McQuaid could help in that department with assists every once in awhile from the caveman Stu. If PC insists on a pugilist then the Bruins might want to think about Jamal Mayers he's a free agent.
    Posted by SanDogBrewin