Too many defensemen for next year but not enough chairs

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from yaz16. Show yaz16's posts

Too many defensemen for next year but not enough chairs

Only 6 defensemen can play regularly next year and i think some of you folks don't realize this.

We have on contract next year Chara, Wideman, Hunwick, Ference. That's 4 set already. Well maybe 3 and a half because Ference gets injured for parts of the year.

Yet we also want the trio of Seidenberg, Stuart and Boychuk to be signed. Boychuk is not a 7th defensemen anymore.

In addition it would be sad to not resign Mcquaid . The guy can play and does a bit of everything well and has some size and toughness

For me Mark Stuart is the odd man out. Yeah i like his toughness but really other than that what does he really bring to the table? Zero offense skills and his defense only is a bit above average. He will demand 2 million a year and he is replaceble

I would love it if PC can bring back seidenberg who can replace Chara after next year as our all around best defensemen and also resign Boychuk(who we are lucky wants to stay a bruin for a long time)

With that

Chara Seidenberg
    Hunwick Wideman
    Ference and Boychuk

Mcquaid as the 7th guy playing when ference and others get injured

That would be ideal but even if seidenberg can't be resigned the combo of

Chara Boychuk
    Hunwick Wideman
    Ference and Mcquaid

did an incredible job against Buffalo and the Flyers before Mcquaid left.

PC needs to be smart and not get his heart involved with signings like he did with Ference.

My prediction is that

We resign Boychuck to a 4 year 8 million dollar deal and Mcquaid to a 3 year 2 million dollar deal. Seidenberg won't be affordable at 3 million a year unless we got rid of wideman, chara or ference retired

thoughts

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from MILANlucic17. Show MILANlucic17's posts

Re: Too many defensemen for next year but not enough chairs

i would like to see hunwick traded to make room

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from bim09. Show bim09's posts

Have to find a way to sign Seidenbergh.

I think Kampfers going to make the team out of training camp, so theres 2.

Chara's in, Manchuk's in, there's 4.

Wideman is the player version of the team this season.  So, he's got to go.

Ference is a great guy, nice Christian values, great for the community but knows way to many doctors.  Gotta deal him.

Stewy was my hero of the defensemen this season, but like someone mentioned, the guy has osteoperosis.  I mean how many bones can you break in 1 season?  I love his heart and will to win, but there are more tough, stay at home d-men out there than there are skilled puck movers.  He can be dealt.

And though he made some dumb mistakes in the playoffs, I have to say Mick acquited himself quite nicely.  I think he replaces Stewy.

Seidenbergh, Chara, Kampfer, Manchuk, Mick and one of the afore mentioned tradeables or Gormley.  I think Peter's going to try to move up for a top 3 defensemen.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from biggskye. Show biggskye's posts

I must admit that I have no idea who Kampfers is, and I don't know where Alexandrov fits into the picture.
    I cannot remember a FA being signed, then traded before the new contract kicks in, so I doubt Ference is going anywhere, and that causes a problem.
    Chiarelli is paying him like a top 4 d-man, so he must be planning on using him as one of the top 4.
    This leaves Mcquaid, Hunwick,Kampfers?, & Alexandrov? looking at spots 5 & 6.
    Now you have...CHARA,WIDEMAN,SEIDENBERG,STUART,BOYCHUK...to fill the remaining top 3 spots.
    Obviously Chara & Wideman are under contract, but one or both could be traded.
       Of the 3 not under contract, Stuart is the only one that would bring something back if he went to another team, so he may not be back for that reason.
    Anyway you look at it, the Ference signing just keeps looking worse and worse.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from paulyboy. Show paulyboy's posts

If you can find a way rid yourself of Wideman you do.. Not sure what value he has elsewhere, but he does not fit into this system. His +/- was one of the worst in the league. If he can be traded for something decent back then great. If not I would consider buying him out. I have more faith in Ryder finding his game next year than Wideman.  If I buyout one stiff it is Wideman. 

Chara/Boychuck
    Stuart/Ferrence
    Seidenberg/McQuaid

Hunwick  or Ferrence would be odd men out. If I could trade either one of these guys I would.  The other D are all more solid and or a better value for the $$(Mcquaid)..

It is going to be tough to sign Stuart, Seidenberg and Boychuck but it is worth a try.  Love what Stuart and Boychuck bring to this team.   2 guys with a good amount of skill and a ton of toughness that will be needed to make another run. Seidenberg is very solid in his own end and has some of the best puck moving skills on the team.  Find a way to rid yourself of Hunwick and Ryder.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from yaz16. Show yaz16's posts

I'm sorry  but Stuart even though has heart has little skill. He skates slow, moves out the puck only via the boards and scores once in a blue moon (though not his duty to be brian leetch). He is a 1.5 million per season 5th or 6th defensemen but he is looking for more per year. If pc didn't sign ference keeping stuart could have been a possibility

Wideman i'd get rid of via trade but hunwick has been good imo. The guy just has to put on 10 pounds of muscle. He is a great skater and can score you a goal all by himself end to end at crucial times of the year.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from bluefox70. Show bluefox70's posts

Stuart has been their most consistent and best defenseman for 2 years now. Find a way to mail Wideman somewhere along with Ference.  Make a great package of Wideman, Ference and Wheeler for a heck of a winger.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from bim09. Show bim09's posts

Davidorr, Chiarelli said in his post-season presser that he was going to give youth a chance to make the team next year.  And he emphasized building through the system and prospects.  That just seems like an indication he's willing to play who ever impresses in camp, regardless of rank.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

Boychuk will not be a top pairing D man.. and whoever suggested a 4 year deal is insane.. He has 55 career games, there are also still alot of questions about his game.. Alexandrov is no where near ready, he needs atleast a season in providence just to get acclimated to the NA game...

Mcquaid will be a cap friendly deal but i think 3 years at 2m is to low.. He is another mark stuart tougha s nails D man thought so maybe he is an odd man out/trade bait...

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from No4BobbyOrr-GOAT. Show No4BobbyOrr-GOAT's posts

Stuart is a keeper, ask Detroit the worth of the other Stuart we got for Joe. Mark is tougher than Brad and that is saying something.

Mark missed his first game this year and it took a broken sternum to do it after finishing the game with the injury, not many players that tough.

He was not as effective in playoffs and it showed and maybe this is what people are remembering more than his past play. He rushed to get back in lineup and he wasn't ready either time, his summer off he will be rejuvenated and ready to hit again.

Bone crushing D
    Chara Boych Stuart and the Wolf will be a physical lineup add Seid and 5 of 6 will be physical, bring on Wide for his skating and PP and PK. Hunw will be odd man out and has tradeability. The cap will be the issue with Stu and Seid, Fer and Hunw should go.
    Hunw is expendable , cj's system is not for him to shine in, reminds me of Hawgood, great skills never found the right system to play in and his D side was lacking.
    Ference is Ference, how he got 2+M, I don't know. He is a gamer but, probably #6 on chart if not 7.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

Sorry for the rambling thinking:

The pairings are a matter of game to game.  In my mind either Boychuck, Stuart, or Seidenberg are not all going to be signed.  Chiarelli has prioritized Seidenberg over Boychuck with contract talks now.  My favorite defenseman Stuart will be inquired about in a trade scenario, high likely with Chiarelli's remarks.  Wideman has value as a defenseman if coupled with a draft pick (not a good idea losing a draft pick). So two more years on the contract means he probably will be in a Bruins uniform.  Ference is going nowhere, I am dumbfounded by that move although it could mean Wideman is being packaged in a trade.  Hunwick needs muscle yes and more time to develop his game. Alexandrov changes all that thinking.  His signing will certainly mean two or three defenseman are gone.  I am working on the pairings! Wow what a mess!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrCC. Show DrCC's posts

In Response to Re: Too many defensemen for next year but not enough chairs:
    Davidorr, Chiarelli said in his post-season presser that he was going to give youth a chance to make the team next year.  And he emphasized building through the system and prospects.  That just seems like an indication he's willing to play who ever impresses in camp, regardless of rank.
    Posted by bim09

I've been thinking about this, and this is one side effect of the cap that annoys me.  At the beginning of the season, there's just no way to sit (for instance) Ryder unless there is cap space to add the player playing.  An entry-level contract isn't much, but it adds up if a couple of veterans are box warmers.

So you have to sign players in the off season to build a roster, but may end up stuck if a rookie plays his way onto the roster.  Just look at Rask two years ago - best goalie in training camp and probably deserving of a chance to be backup then, but salary constraints meant keeping Thomas and Fernandez (though it may have benefitted Rask long term, hard to say).
    I would say then that a team should try to enter the season with approximately $2-$3 million in cap space, but then that is a decent player that was not signed and a chance that no one steps up.  Seems to be a lose-lose situation.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Hunwick is the odd man out moveable contract he's young and will fit with a team on the youth movement. PC grabbed Kampfer, Bartkowski and Cody Wild at the deadline to start stock piling some youth and see who can bust out of Providence to make it up to the big club.

Remember Manchuk and McQuaid were under the radar moves as well.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

DrCC - there's a bit of ruthless logic to this, isn't there?  One side of the CBA is meant to ensure that players make as much cash as they can even if it means they have to shuffle around to get it.  The check on this is that teams who make mistakes and overpay players might have to give up assets for nothing or even hang on to overpaid players in one way or another.  If you have to sit an underperforming vet or promote a high-test rook, what you can't do is sit on the veteran.  You have to give him a chance to play somewhere or he's dead money on your cap (and that makes me think that the $2M cushion you mention is more valuable because of the way it facillitates moving out high-priced vets than a $2M player might be - you might find yourself with $5M at the deadline and a chance to make a really substantial move).  That means looking to make a deal, putting the guy on waivers, and then either eating the money for him to play in the A or then recalling him to see if there's a taker at 1/2 the cap hit.

If the Bruins really felt Rask was ready last year, they could have put Fernandez on waivers - but they weren't sure and they didn't want to lose Fernandez.  Really what the cap has taken away is the safety net for playing rookies, and ironically, it's made playing rookies an essential component of success.  That's the ruthless part.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrCC. Show DrCC's posts

And the part that gives me a headache.  Well, one of the parts.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011. Show StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011's posts

McQuaid to me is an AHL D ,,,no more ....Mark Stuart is underated as I can see ...he is an excellent stay at home D ..rough ..and was our no.2 D until he got hurt ...I would'nt trade him ...Wideman has a better value on the market and I like Stuart .....you could probably get an excellent forward for Wideman ....TT will rebounce next season ...he is capable of winning th Vezina one more year ....the only way I would trade TT is if part of a package we would get a top forward ..say Wideman & TT to Detroit for Datsyuk ....or to Washington for Semin ...or maybe to the Flyers for Carter .....

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from CHARAWINSTHENORRIS. Show CHARAWINSTHENORRIS's posts

Ference and his glass groin stay, Boychuk walks. Isn't PC the best?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from yaz16. Show yaz16's posts

Seidenberg close or almost signed. So glad to hear this. Next has to be boychuk. 4 year 6 million dollar deal. Sign Mcquaid to a 3 year , 2 million dollar deal as our 7th guy.

I predict stuart will sign on with like a like the capitals

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from KJBruinswin. Show KJBruinswin's posts

Wideman and Hunwick should be the odd men out. Even if the B's only get draft picks or 4th line forwards.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from yaz16. Show yaz16's posts

Wideman and hunwick can skate and score some pts. We need a couple of guys other than no skill ference to do this for us.

Stuart is the odd man out

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from anthonyalbani89. Show anthonyalbani89's posts

In Response to Re: Too many defensemen for next year but not enough chairs:
       I must admit that I have no idea who Kampfers is, and I don't know where Alexandrov fits into the picture. I cannot remember a FA being signed, then traded before the new contract kicks in, so I doubt Ference is going anywhere, and that causes a problem. Chiarelli is paying him like a top 4 d-man, so he must be planning on using him as one of the top 4. This leaves Mcquaid, Hunwick,Kampfers?, & Alexandrov? looking at spots 5 & 6. Now you have...CHARA,WIDEMAN,SEIDENBERG,STUART,BOYCHUK...to fill the remaining top 3 spots. Obviously Chara & Wideman are under contract, but one or both could be traded.    Of the 3 not under contract, Stuart is the only one that would bring something back if he went to another team, so he may not be back for that reason. Anyway you look at it, the Ference signing just keeps looking worse and worse.
    Posted by biggskye

So is Hunwick under contract. I can't see 8 mill for Boychuck, and Ferrance is having another surgery. He has to be gone with as many office visits. Great community guy but you can't make the club in the tub?

This is Hunwick first real season, and contract. Last season was a Boychuck type season as well. Boyschuck is slow as mybet Z. We need speed and a free wheell D like LA Kings. Look at  J. Johnson -+ since he been in the league? People out there think he is the second coming of ????

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from KJBruinswin. Show KJBruinswin's posts

When Wideman and Hunwick aren't scoring, which is most of the time, they are useless. To watch them try and play defense is horrendous. I'd rather see a slowfooted D man who can defend and control the front of the net any day of the week. If you want to see a scoring D man call Toronto and ask about trading for Kessel and move him to defenseman.     

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

I think the title of this thread is a good problem to have . You can never have too many forwards , defencemen or goalies. Should be an interesting training camp if most are signed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from KJBruinswin. Show KJBruinswin's posts

I agree.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from MontrealBrewin. Show MontrealBrewin's posts

Trade Chara

And if we keep him, take away the "C", he's not worthy of it.