Top 10 most skilled players TSN

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from WalkTheLine. Show WalkTheLine's posts

Re: Top 10 most skilled players TSN

In Response to Re: Top 10 most skilled players TSN:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Top 10 most skilled players TSN : The fact that you can't spell a common word doesn't do much much to support your opinion. LOL
    Posted by Not-A-Shot[/QUOTE]

LOL...I was giving him the benefit of the doubt here and assumed he was a German immigre' living in Canada.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from bruins8. Show bruins8's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Top 10 most skilled players TSN : I believe everyone has seen that goal, but it wasn't #77 who got beat.  It was #7. Mario had plenty of chances to score 50 in 39 games.  He failed.

he also scored 69 in 60 games in 1992-93

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wheatskins. Show Wheatskins's posts

If all these Lemieux and Gretzky lovers play poker the same way they determine who is the greatest player in the game...I would love to sit down at a table with them for a for a few rounds.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from OlsonicCreations. Show OlsonicCreations's posts

[QUOTE]If all these Lemieux and Gretzky lovers play poker the same way they determine who is the greatest player in the game...I would love to sit down at a table with them for a for a few rounds.
    Posted by Wheatskins[/QUOTE]

you mean you want to sit down next to analytical, statistics oriented poker players?

I think they'd like to sit next to you too.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BlueEyedGuy. Show BlueEyedGuy's posts

Hahahahaha! This is funny stuff here.  I'm sure if I went to a Penguins forum, I'd see Lemieux at the top of all the posts there.  If I went to an Oilers board, all the votes would go to Gretzky, of course.  If I went to a Canadiens group, I'd see Rocket Richard (Guy LaFleur?) on top of the lists there.  A Red Wings group might have Gordie Howe or Yzerman leading the way.  And on and on and on and on....

These sorts of lists/comparisons are, essentially, useless, except to give fans and the media something to write/talk about when games aren't being played.  Ultimately, individual skill means precious little unless your team wins The Cup.  End of story.  I have my opinions of who was the best player, best goalie, best team, best natural goal scorer, etc., but I see no reason to debate because what I've seen *is* what I've seen and no one, no matter the argument, can take that away from me.

Very predictable stuff, Bruins fans, and because of it, really, really comical!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from OlsonicCreations. Show OlsonicCreations's posts

[QUOTE]Hahahahaha! This is funny stuff here.  I'm sure if I went to a Penguins forum, I'd see Lemieux at the top of all the posts there.  If I went to an Oilers board, all the votes would go to Gretzky, of course.  If I went to a Canadiens group, I'd see Rocket Richard (Guy LaFleur?) on top of the lists there.  A Red Wings group might have Gordie Howe or Yzerman leading the way.  And on and on and on and on.... 
    Posted by BlueEyedGuy[/QUOTE]

I think Gretzky is the only guy in 100% of those conversations as the #1 or #2 guy. That is saying something.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In Response to Re: Top 10 most skilled players TSN:[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Top 10 most skilled players TSN : He is well aware of this fact ;) Posted by WalkTheLine[/QUOTE]

Actually mentions Ron Hextall Classic! Known for Getting swept by the Rangers on there way to there 94' Stanley Cup in his last playoff appearance, Choking in game 7 of the 87' Finals and being gutless enough to attack Chelios in the playoffs without warning.

Dumb enough to mention Hextall with Mario, Orr and Gretzky priclesss!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from OlsonicCreations. Show OlsonicCreations's posts

I think he was trying to make the point that you can change the game without being considered the best ever.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wheatskins. Show Wheatskins's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Top 10 most skilled players TSN : you mean you want to sit down next to analytical, statistics oriented poker players? I think they'd like to sit next to you too.
    Posted by OlsonicCreations[/QUOTE]

Bring them quickly. I have all the confidence Bobby Orr would have.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from WalkTheLine. Show WalkTheLine's posts

[QUOTE]Hahahahaha! This is funny stuff here......  I have my opinions of who was the best player, best goalie, best team, best natural goal scorer, etc., but I see no reason to debate because what I've seen *is* what I've seen and no one, no matter the argument, can take that away from me. Very predictable stuff, Bruins fans, and because of it, really, really comical!
    Posted by BlueEyedGuy[/QUOTE]

You're absolutely right but I don't really see any "debate" going on here. Just people posting thier opinions for the hell of it. Obviously opinions will be biased. And you found this surprising enough to be amused by it? What exactly did you expect given the topic?

That being said....so who is your most skilled player???? :P

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from bruins8. Show bruins8's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Top 10 most skilled players TSN : Rhetorical question. What relevance does individual skill have in a team game ? Alexei Kovalev might be one of the most individually talented players that I have ever seen. Team player ? Orr was the best ever, of course.
    Posted by RMiller87[/QUOTE]

im pretty sure it had almost everything to do with the penguins win back to back championships in the early 90,s

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

Arguing the most skilled player ever is always difficult..For everything mario has done, I have seen ovechkin score goals he couldnt touch, and he certainly hits in a way Mario never did..  69goals in 60 games is incredible, but of course the most dominate season you have to go back to like 1915-1920 when a player put up 44g in 20 games..

The Most dominate player in the history of a sport not just hockey, I do think single handedly goes to Gretzky, the seperation of him to second all time (about 70%) is daunghting and unmatched in sports, ..  Really think about that, ina 10 year span if You where the second best player in your sport, and put up 1000 points, and the guy in front of you put up 1700??

The argument that Lemieux would have broken gretzky's records is obsurd, he is a great player, and was a better stick handler and goal scorer, but he was not the passer gretkzy was, and didnt have 5? years with that rediculous edmonton team.. The game and scoring also changed greatly, the fact is by the 90's 70goal 150pt seasons were dissapearing.. Lemiuex might have broken the goals record (if he could stay healthy etc) but not points.. Ovi if he can stay healthy may have a shot at the goals record..

The best goal scorer of all time, is probably bossy, highest per game career, higest per season average..

Orr, is the one player I think you can make an arguement against gretkzy simply because he is in a different position.. He is the only d man in the top 5 in points per game, and holds several records that will never be broken, and had and world class defensive game.. He was complete, and as great as ray bourque was with a solid 2 way game that you do not see anymore, this guy was that much better.. I think solid 2 way defensemen are starting to become a thing of the past.. Maybe doughty can change that...

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from bruins8. Show bruins8's posts

headline is top 10 skilled players...............mario lemiuex hands down most skilled player....better than orr gretzky and jason allison! haha

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from NumbaFouwer. Show NumbaFouwer's posts

I think that poll by TSN was talking about who was the most individually skilled player, that is who could do things solo, thus I can see why they would choose Lemieux over Gretzky.

It is tough to say if Lemieux was individually more skilled than Orr. I only saw Orr's last 3 seasons in Boston when I was in about grades 2 to 4 or so, thus my memory of Orr may not be perfect, but to me it seemed like he could do things solo better than Lemieux.

Nobody could stickhandle the puck, and thus control the play like Orr .... and at both ends of the rink, and in all situations (PP, PK, even strength).

Lemieux was elusive with the puck as well, but mainly only in the offensive zone.

It's a tough call, but I think TSN got who were in the top 2 right anyways.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from OlsonicCreations. Show OlsonicCreations's posts

Why does a guy have to be a hall of famer, or even an all-star to be the most skilled player?

Consider mike ribeiro, no one would call him close to great, but the man doesn't work out, he doesn't train. He is an extreme outlier in professional sports. He just shows up and plays hockey (which is why teams hate him and he gets bounced around). His talent has always been silly-good, which allows him to do whatever he wants and still play hockey. 

People are acting like they are making their "who is more skilled" arguments in a vacuum, but its obvious that "who is greater" is severely impacting the judgement of most people when it comes to determining the most skilled.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from pissttt. Show pissttt's posts

i have had this discussion for thirty  years. but let me tell my opinion on the greatest of them all..... ROBERT GORDEN ORR!!! and why? for the ten years i saw him play i have not seen anyone duplicate what he did as a player. he had 2 major knee operation before he ever put on a pro jersey. if he had stayed injury free there would be no doubt. he was miles ahead of either Mario or gretsky PERIOD !!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from pbergeron37. Show pbergeron37's posts

[QUOTE]I still say... 1. If it were possible to have all these guys on the ice, at the same time, and at their prime, the only time Bobby Orr would not have the puck is when he didn't want it or needed a bit of a rest. 2. If you had a power play unit put together with these guys, Bobby Orr would be the one directing play and commanding the action.

This is the most ridiculous thing I've seen in a while. Are you aware that Gretzky was by far the most intelligent hockey player to ever live? Hes going to be controlling that powerplay, hes going to be controlling the game offensively, and Orr would be playing the shut down game that he could. Offensively, I don't think you can even debate anyone other than gretzky being the best ever offensively

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wheatskins. Show Wheatskins's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Top 10 most skilled players TSN : This is the most ridiculous thing I've seen in a while. Are you aware that Gretzky was by far the most intelligent hockey player to ever live? Hes going to be controlling that powerplay, hes going to be controlling the game offensively, and Orr would be playing the shut down game that he could. Offensively, I don't think you can even debate anyone other than gretzky being the best ever
    Posted by pbergeron37[/QUOTE]

Wow! Have you ever seen Orr play in person?

I guess he'll be controlling the power play from behind the net?

If Gretzky and Orr were playing shinny, do you honestly believe Gretzky would ever have the puck? How would he get the puck away from Orr? With Dave Semenko's help, maybe?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wheatskins. Show Wheatskins's posts

Let's analyze skills:

Skating:          1. Orr  2. Lemieux 3. Gretzky
    Speed:           1. Orr  2. Lemieux  3. Gretzky
    Puckhandling:  1. Orr  2. Gretzky  3. Lemieux
    Passing:         1. Orr   2. Gretzky   3. Lemieux
    Shot:             1. Orr   2. Lemieux  3. Gretzky
    Checking:        1. Orr   2. Lemieux  3. Gretzky (he couldn't check his coat)

Anyone disagree?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from JWensink. Show JWensink's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Top 10 most skilled players TSN : Wow! Have you ever seen Orr play in person? I guess he'll be controlling the power play from behind the net? If Gretzky and Orr were playing shinny, do you honestly believe Gretzky would ever have the puck? How would he get the puck away from Orr? With Dave Semenko's help, maybe?

Correct - Orr would take the puck away - and never give it back...and there's nothing Gretzky , Mario or anybody who ever lived could do about it...and he'd make it look easy -

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

[QUOTE]Let's analyze skills: Skating:          1. Orr  2. Lemieux 3. Gretzky Speed:           1. Orr  2. Lemieux  3. Gretzky Puckhandling:  1. Orr  2. Gretzky  3. Lemieux Passing:         1. Orr   2. Gretzky   3. Lemieux Shot:             1. Orr   2. Lemieux  3. Gretzky Checking:        1. Orr   2. Lemieux  3. Gretzky (he couldn't check his coat) Anyone disagree?

I would say your probably right about most of those, passing hands down is gretzky.. No possible way to even debate that.. He won a scoring title one year when his assist alone would have lead the league in points, and his career assist is ahead of howe in points.. so lets be honest..

Similarly gretzky absolutely could control a powerplay from behing the net.. Your forgetting he has more powerplay points then anyone else in the histor of the game?

Even if your opinion is Orr is the most skilled ever, its rediculous to think its a "hands down" argument..  If I had to pick one player all time for a game of one on one I would probably take Ovechkin, Orr or maybe pre concussion Lindros, but thats in an isolated instance, to the poster who said most skilled you assert that means controlling the puck, I don't.. Gretzky's passing is above and beyond, and thats something that will rarely stand up till you flip a card over and see something like 52g 163a 215pts..

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from CanadianBruin. Show CanadianBruin's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Top 10 most skilled players TSN : The fact that you can't spell a common word doesn't do much much to support your opinion. LOL

The fact that you post on here 100 times a day proves that you are probably a virgin.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Top 10 most skilled players TSN : The fact that you post on here 100 times a day proves that you are probably a virgin.
    Posted by CanadianBruin[/QUOTE]

So, because you didn't like his counter to something (which was a good point he made) and you called him a DB.. and then he came back at you, he's now a virgin as well?  This is probably not his day then....

Most of us come on here to talk hockey, NAS is very straight forward in the fact that you need a pretty clear logic to steer him one way or the other, and be prepared to back it up..

The earliest point he made if you missed it was simply changing the way the position is played does not make you the most skilled, quite simply if you invented tying shoes but it took you 10 minutes to do it, and I could do it in 10 seconds would anyone argue since you defined how we tie our shoes your the most skilled at it??

So, the rest of us are still waiting for some hockey insight out of you..

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from CanadianBruin. Show CanadianBruin's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Top 10 most skilled players TSN : So, because you didn't like his counter to something (which was a good point he made) and you called him a DB.. and then he came back at you, he's now a virgin as well?  This is probably not his day then.... Most of us come on here to talk hockey, NAS is very straight forward in the fact that you need a pretty clear logic to steer him one way or the other, and be prepared to back it up.. The earliest point he made if you missed it was simply changing the way the position is played does not make you the most skilled, quite simply if you invented tying shoes but it took you 10 minutes to do it, and I could do it in 10 seconds would anyone argue since you defined how we tie our shoes your the most skilled at it?? So, the rest of us are still waiting for some hockey insight out of you..
    Posted by rolerhoky19[/QUOTE]

Is there a reason you're sticking up for NAS? Or do you just take a post on the most skilled hockey player of all time so seriously that you could not let my comments go without reply? NAS's pretentious comments bother me so I chirp him. Sorry if that offends you and your thirst for hockey insight.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from No4BobbyOrr-GOAT. Show No4BobbyOrr-GOAT's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Top 10 most skilled players TSN : I would say your probably right about most of those, passing hands down is gretzky.. No possible way to even debate that.. He won a scoring title one year when his assist alone would have lead the league in points, and his career assist is ahead of howe in points.. so lets be honest.. Similarly gretzky absolutely could control a powerplay from behing the net.. Your forgetting he has more powerplay points then anyone else in the histor of the game? Even if your opinion is Orr is the most skilled ever, its rediculous to think its a "hands down" argument..  If I had to pick one player all time for a game of one on one I would probably take Ovechkin, Orr or maybe pre concussion Lindros, but thats in an isolated instance, to the poster who said most skilled you assert that means controlling the puck, I don't.. Gretzky's passing is above and beyond, and thats something that will rarely stand up till you flip a card over and see something like 52g 163a 215pts..
    Posted by rolerhoky19[/QUOTE]

Hands Down ORR!!!

Missing Fighting, oh that goes to Orr as well and not Colton.

Passing does not mean assists.
    They used to run skills competitions in the 70's, wish I had links to prove it but I don't so you will have to take my word.

This competition had these fake players on the ice and the player had to start from behind net and pass to these dumbies all the way up the ice. Where the sticks were there was a paper cover and to get the points you had to break the paper.  Orr was downright sick at this and there were a lot of great passers in the league and noone could even touch him.

To bring a game down to just points then Gretzky wins, yes he holds the records for the most...blah blah blah.

To have actually watched the game and all the players play, Orr's talent was just so unbeleivable and that is why these debates even go on, because it is just sick to think how good he was that people try to compare to him.

I remember back in 90's when the so called experts tried to compare Leetch to Orr when he had a bunch of points in his first 5-10 games, absolutely laughable.

When you can say you seen Pepe le Pew or Whinee skate inside their own blue lines(let alone the red lines) or behind their own nets or in own corners to chase down a puck consistantly, and through 40 mins a game, then there is just no point in debating because it never happened.

Lemieux and Gretzky put up the points but any GM that would say they would pick them over Orr, either never watched them all play shift in and shift out, are related to them or buddies.