View on Seguin from someone who played against him.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wheatskins. Show Wheatskins's posts

View on Seguin from someone who played against him.

Just spoke with a son of a friend who played against Tyler Seguin for three years in the GTHL (Toronto's Elite minor hockey league) and here is what he said:

"Excellent player. Was the fastest player in the league. Was not a scorer during this period, but controlled play. He was a sulky player who was only interested for himself, although that is no longer the case. Has finally developed a scoring touch."

He concluded by saying that he doesn't believe he will make the NHL at first crack. And thinks he will be sent back to Juniors so he can play at the World Junior Championships.

Other notable comments he made:

"The most dominate player during this period was John MacFarland. Mainly because he was the tallest and biggest player. It is not surprising that he is regressing as he moves up and plays against bigger players. Doesn't have the best attitude."

"The best player during this period was Jeff Skinner. Extremely hard to knock off the puck and never gives up. A pure goalscorer who is fearless. If he were two or three inches taller he would have been the 1st overall choice."

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from CHARAWINSTHENORRIS. Show CHARAWINSTHENORRIS's posts

Re: View on Seguin from someone who played against him.

In Response to View on Seguin from someone who played against him.:
    Just spoke with a son of a friend who played against Tyler Seguin for three years in the GTHL (Toronto's Elite minor hockey league) and here is what he said: "Excellent player. Was the fastest player in the league. Was not a scorer during this period, but controlled play. He was a sulky player who was only interested for himself, although that is no longer the case. Has finally developed a scoring touch." He concluded by saying that he doesn't believe he will make the NHL at first crack. And thinks he will be sent back to Juniors so he can play at the World Junior Championships. Other notable comments he made: "The most dominate player during this period was John MacFarland. Mainly because he was the tallest and biggest player. It is not surprising that he is regressing as he moves up and plays against bigger players. Doesn't have the best attitude." "The best player during this period was Jeff Skinner. Extremely hard to knock off the puck and never gives up. A pure goalscorer who is fearless. If he were two or three inches taller he would have been the 1st overall choice."
    Posted by Wheatskins

Interesting. Thanks.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

Thing I'm most impressed with Seguin - I call him a "changeling", he just keeps evolving, he keeps taking it to the next level.  got his head on his shoulders.  What he was then, what he was in juniors, what he was in the combine and what he was at dev camp ain't going to be what shows up at training camp.  Stayed tuned.  It will be fun.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from bruins09. Show bruins09's posts

In Response to Re: View on Seguin from someone who played against him.:
    I had a relative who knows of friend who knew an uncle who once spit shined Taylor Sequin's penny loafers and so on and so forth Sequin will make this team with flying colors and be an instant contributor just don't expect too much. I fully expect Taylor to hit the high teens in goals add to that total in assists!
    Posted by lemondropper

Great Post dude!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

thanks for the info ... but a few observasions from seeing him at mini camp in Wilmington ma. a couple of weeks ago. this kid is miles ahead of Joe Thornton at Thornton first Wilmington summer camp tyler is faster more fluid and can control the play. I KNOW HE IS PLAYING AGAINST OTHER ROOKIES! but so was jumbo Joe !   i think he makes the team as a 4th line center with paille, and thorton as his wings. paille for corner work with speed and thorton for protection your not going to find to many teams with the likes of sarvard, krejcie, bergeron, seguin up the middle!
    Posted by pissttt

4TH Line roll would not surve him well, thornton and paille are not the players I want to surround a potential franchise player with.. If he is what he is projected to be, he needs to play a larger roll with a scoring line.. Not a minor roll witha defense first line that plays with the mind set of preventing goals and eating minutes up from the other teams scoring lines..

I would rather they send him back then play him on the 4th line.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mosismooses. Show mosismooses's posts

The game itself is drastically different now than when Thornton was a rookie. A second overall pick makes the team and contributes from the start otherwise the Bruins made a colossal error in judgement.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

What a kid thought of him as a kid doesn't really have any bearing at all in the NHL.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

The game itself is drastically different now than when Thornton was a rookie. A second overall pick makes the team and contributes from the start otherwise the Bruins made a colossal error in judgement.
    Posted by mosismooses

I think that is less direct a result of the game, and more of the cap, as well as the skill of the last couple draft classes.. In thorntons case I would argue similar to defensemen and goalies, large players take longer to develop..  being 6'05 205 isnt a huge asset when you play against men who are physically stronger then you.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from stinkman. Show stinkman's posts

Went to the devlopment camp and saw seguin play a little bit ,  He has great speed and a booming shot. although he did get knocked off the puck every now, and then i thought he looked impressive. How many times did your friend play against him, he could have had a bad game against that team. no one says he is going to be a superstar in his first year. Give him some time, most of us are thinking 15 goals maybe 40 points overall and a plus one or minus one in that area. This is like saying when hal gill played for the bruins that he was the best on the ice against jagr and that is correct. but that should not make him a top defenseman in the nhl, but a decent one, he just happens to play great against him. Some things are hard to figure out.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

Went to the devlopment camp and saw seguin play a little bit ,  He has great speed and a booming shot. although he did get knocked off the puck every now, and then i thought he looked impressive. How many times did your friend play against him, he could have had a bad game against that team. no one says he is going to be a superstar in his first year. Give him some time, most of us are thinking 15 goals maybe 40 points overall and a plus one or minus one in that area. This is like saying when hal gill played for the bruins that he was the best on the ice against jagr and that is correct. but that should not make him a top defenseman in the nhl, but a decent one, he just happens to play great against him. Some things are hard to figure out.

Posted by stinkman

Not only that, but seguin developed better as of later, he didnt event the season as a top ten prospect, so literally, nothing from 3 years ago really has any bearing on him as a prospect today..

Being one player at 15, has no bearing.. Even at 18, your not seeing the full capabilities of the player. There are some intagibles that you look for, but the word on seguin have all been positive, says all the right things, humble.. Find some quotes about him being a selfish me first palyer (tough to read when the kid was a pure play maker prior to this season) and we can talk..

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from paulyboy. Show paulyboy's posts

So much has changed in the past 2 years and I am sure Seguin is not even close to the same player he was when playing in the GTHL.  Some players gradually improve and others take off and improve dramatically.  From looking at Seguins #s over the past 2 years it looks like he dominated a league that is filled with some of the best high end talent in the world other than NHL.  I also do not want him to play 4th line as he will not get enough ice time to warrant being here.  I am sure the Bs are conisdering all of this.  My question is if he is goes to Juniors can he be brought back up at any time for good during the season or is it a all or nothing thing?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from number08. Show number08's posts

I had a relative who knows of friend who knew an uncle who once spit shined Taylor Sequin's penny loafers and so on and so forth Sequin will make this team with flying colors and be an instant contributor just don't expect too much. I fully expect Taylor to hit the high teens in goals add to that total in assists!
    Posted by lemondropper

Nice...but we're talking about Tyler...or is it Tyler Hall....or Taylor Swift...

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

Pauly,
    We could not call him up, as he would not be under contract with the bruins, should he leave juniors We would retain his rights till the following june 1 st so we would have his negoiating rights, but I do not think know that we would want to use up a year of his EL, not knowing how he will play.. I think that is why you have 10 games to start the season and assess his ability against other players.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from bruins8. Show bruins8's posts

lets remember they were playing against kids not the pronger or charas of the world

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from paulyboy. Show paulyboy's posts

roler
    thanks

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from pissttt. Show pissttt's posts

put some one else on the 4th line with him than paille or thorton he,s not dethroning sarvad, bergy, or krejcie, on the top three lines  and don,t use him on a wing he,s a center play him there or just send him back to juniors!!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from pissttt. Show pissttt's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: View on Seguin from someone who played against him. : 4TH Line roll would not surve him well, thornton and paille are not the players I want to surround a potential franchise player with.. If he is what he is projected to be, he needs to play a larger roll with a scoring line.. Not a minor roll witha defense first line that plays with the mind set of preventing goals and eating minutes up from the other teams scoring lines.. I would rather they send him back then play him on the 4th line.
    Posted by rolerhoky19[/QUOTE].........good send him back. i rather see him playing center in juniors then playing a wing in the pros!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from duinne. Show duinne's posts

He'll start out as a wing. It's a good way to adjust to the NHL. Put him next to Krejci or Bergeron and he'll do fine. (I'd rather have Savard with Lucic and Horton.)

One of the most striking parts of Seguin's story is how much improvement he showed over the past two years. Even one year ago he wasn't ranked that highly, but his progression over this past year has been remarkable. I wouldn't put much stock into a report on how he played as a 15-year-old. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from beantowngm15. Show beantowngm15's posts

Pauly, We could not call him up, as he would not be under contract with the bruins, should he leave juniors We would retain his rights till the following june 1 st so we would have his negoiating rights, but I do not think know that we would want to use up a year of his EL, not knowing how he will play.. I think that is why you have 10 games to start the season and assess his ability against other players.
    Posted by rolerhoky19

Actually if they sign him and want to send him back to Juniors they can do so at any point.  St. Louis did it this year twice with Alex Pietrangelo.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from DallasSmith. Show DallasSmith's posts

I don't think there is any way that Seguin will be sent back to juniors considering the way the B's went out in the  playoffs, they need all the fan support they can get and Seguin has everybody excited.Playing as a winger in his first year will actually help his development .I hope he plays with Krejci .