Wheeler = $2.2 Million!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from newfiewhaler. Show newfiewhaler's posts

Wheeler = $2.2 Million!

About what was expected. Walk away?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from rickrand3. Show rickrand3's posts

Re: Wheeler = $2.2 Million!

actually if obama has it his way, Wheeler will be taxed on about 60% of that amount. Agreed though that's alot of money for a very soft player!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BruinsYear. Show BruinsYear's posts

In Response to Re: Wheeler = $2.2 Million!:
    [QUOTE]actually if obama has it his way, Wheeler will be taxed on about 60% of that amount. Agreed though that's alot of money for a very soft player!
    Posted by rickrand3[/QUOTE]

2.2 Is not bad for a kid who is only going to get better.@ just 23 he can still improve a whole lot.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from bruinsCupiN09. Show bruinsCupiN09's posts

better then what most young players want. look at kessel for example. had one good year and wanted 5 mil. id say sign

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoldOnBlack. Show GoldOnBlack's posts

Pete's gotta sign him. I'm sure Wheels will have gotten used to his larger body and knowing how to use it, and we all know he's capable of potting in a good 25 goals. With Krejci coming into his prime as our future star center i dont see how Blake has another weak season.  For 2.2 i believe this kid will be well worth it...and honestly a longer term would have been nicer.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

There is no chance whatsoever that the B's will walk away.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from brentsmith. Show brentsmith's posts

The Bruins must sign him. Wheeler will get used to that kind of money which will motivate to play weel. He knows that another sub-par season will earn less money in the 2011/2012 season. He wont want to go through this again.

Give him 1 more yr

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from cowboys9. Show cowboys9's posts

From the arbitration and signings lately of other players who had similar numbers last season  this seems to be a good award for both Wheeler and the Bruins.. Bruins will not walk away and hopefully Wheeler can have a great season this coming year and the Bruins sign him long term next year when there is more cap room.. One thing I did agree with his agent when he said.." 6'5 players who score 83 points in two years don't grow on trees"  Keeper..

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from IcedAdam. Show IcedAdam's posts

Considering the general consensus from people on the boards is that he was going to be awarded somewhere north of $2.5m, and into the $2.7m-$2.8m range, this is a very welcomed number. Given the fact that Wheeler's agent is pleased with the award, I would love to know what the Bruins were offering him.

Any guesses?  Mine, $1.7m

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Peanator. Show Peanator's posts

BYE BYE BLAKE !

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from bim09. Show bim09's posts

Based on what a 42yr old Mark Recchi did, I'd say no more than 1.9m.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

It's possible that the B's were offering $2.2.

We'll probably never know.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from GillesGilbert. Show GillesGilbert's posts

[QUOTE] One thing I did agree with his agent when he said.." 6'5 players who score 83 points in two years don't grow on trees"  Keeper..
    Posted by cowboys9[/QUOTE]

True but on the other hand what difference does it make if a guy is 6'5" if he doesn't play like it?  I mean wouldn't you rather have a feisty 6' guy with otherwise the same skill set?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In Response to Re: Wheeler = $2.2 Million! : True but on the other hand what difference does it make if a guy is 6'5" if he doesn't play like it?  I mean wouldn't you rather have a feisty 6' guy with otherwise the same skill set?
    Posted by GillesGilbert

Doesn't matter how tall he is.  At all.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from MDsizzle. Show MDsizzle's posts

"6'5" players that play like 5'9" players that score 83 points in the first 65 games of each season, don't grow on trees. You have to pull them from the ground, like potatoes, potatoes that disapear in the playoffs."

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from No4BobbyOrr-GOAT. Show No4BobbyOrr-GOAT's posts

It is not the size of the dog in the fight, it is the size of the fight in the dog.

Everyone knows this! Stan J certainly proved this, ask Bouchard.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from No4BobbyOrr-GOAT. Show No4BobbyOrr-GOAT's posts

2.2M if this is 100% correct is an excellent deal for the B's, it is less than Fer makes and would seem the most likely player to go if McQ fits the roster like Pc thinks he will. The cap is def attainable with Sturm out, but who will be the odd man out come Dec, the 3.5M$ question.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from MDsizzle. Show MDsizzle's posts

Did you see Wheels one fight? F-ing embarrasing, I hit my tivo harder, I thought it was stuck in slowmotion.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hockguy0818. Show Hockguy0818's posts

This is great! With Sturm being placed on LTIR, and the $3.5M we had (until he comes back) to use on Seguin and Wheeler, we will be about 400K under the cap.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Raskman. Show Raskman's posts

This is great! With Sturm being placed on LTIR, and the $3.5M we had (until he comes back) to use on Seguin and Wheeler, we will be about 400K under the cap.
    Posted by Hockguy0818

Since the league minimum is $500K and we're short a roster spot, how is that great?  I'm glad Wheeler came in a little under what I thought he'd get, but the cap crunch isn't gone.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from savybergy77. Show savybergy77's posts

You simply don't walk away from 23 yr old kids with his talent because he gets awarded 2.2 mil. An absolute no brainer, sign him up!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Re: Wheeler's height.  I think height can matter, but it depends on the player, and that goes for both bigger and smaller guys.  League history is full of tall players who used their height and reach advantage to shield the puck, gain leverage, and cover passing lanes.  Schmidt, Esposito, Beliveau, Lemieux - they all used their relative height advantage to good effect (though Schmidt was only 6' - how times change).

For some tall players, height can be a disadvantage as they struggle to deal with the puck in close or generate the kind of quick stick that helps you win puck battles or keep possession in traffic.  Some shorter players can dominate taller guys because they keep their feet moving more consistently - they can't rely on reach - and so they can get inside, get position, and get out with the puck at speed while the tall guy's standing still.

And remember that while there's something to "it's the size of the fight in the dog", it's just as much a truism that a good big man will beat a good small man every time.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from bruinsfan084evr. Show bruinsfan084evr's posts

Bruins sign Blake Wheeler to one-year contract

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

It can matter in that respect, BB, but overall, his performance isn't diminshed by his height.  EXAMPLE:  "Hey, that guy scored 24 goals last year."  "Yeah, but he's 6'5.  He should have had more from in close."

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from skater68. Show skater68's posts

actually if obama has it his way, Wheeler will be taxed on about 60% of that amount. Agreed though that's alot of money for a very soft player!
    Posted by rickrand3

This is a hockey forum . How about taking your political crap elsewhere.