whitfield best prospect

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from bruinsking. Show bruinsking's posts

whitfield best prospect

obviously whitfield is our top prospect at providence the 7 goal scorer is a delight to watch as he give me such a feeling of awe and confidence in p.c's ability to find talent.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from wallydouglas. Show wallydouglas's posts

Re: whitfield best prospect

I wonder if it has anything to do with 2 way contracts and whether a prov roster player would have to clear waivers if sent back such as Hamil etc..
    Your pointis well taken tho, the depth is just not there this yr

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from moogfan35. Show moogfan35's posts

Hamill would not have to clear waivers as he has a 2 way contract. only players with 1 way have to clear waivers

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from days-of-Orr. Show days-of-Orr's posts

yet many on this board are excited about all the pix the b's hold the next two years....  it doesn't amount to a hill of beans if you don't draft well.... 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrCC. Show DrCC's posts

It's Julien, he likes experienced players.  Is it any surprise he called up someone who is decent at face-offs and not a total rookie for a game that had significant playoff importance?  I wouldn't read much into it.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from wallydouglas. Show wallydouglas's posts

moogfan35  thx for that info

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

This isnt about gettign prospects up.. The bruins need to make the playoffs, Hamill is too soft to play the 3-4th line center role, and we dont have any other  NHL ready prospects really..

The bruins are not in the position where they can  give a guy a chance, they need to play a guy who is going to fill the roel adequately.. they can't bring hamill up and spend half a game trying to figure out if he can keep up at the nhl level..

and whitfield is the second leading scorer in providence despite missing a handful of games playing with the big club..

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheRealist. Show TheRealist's posts

In Response to Re: whitfield best prospect:
    This isnt about gettign prospects up.. The bruins need to make the playoffs, Hamill is too soft to play the 3-4th line center role, and we dont have any other  NHL ready prospects really.. The bruins are not in the position where they can  give a guy a chance, they need to play a guy who is going to fill the roel adequately.. they can't bring hamill up and spend half a game trying to figure out if he can keep up at the nhl level.. and whitfield is the second leading scorer in providence despite missing a handful of games playing with the big club..
    Posted by rolerhoky19

I agree with you... What is scary is that Hamill was chosen by Chiarelli himself 8th overall in 2007!

I have less and less faith in Chiarelli by the day...

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

Hamill will get his shot next season, esp if savy is still down, but he is going to have to step up and prove he belongs here..

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from dbg1. Show dbg1's posts

I don't know why anyone is excited about having a possible lottery pick this year.  Because we could end up with #1 pick and PC would pick some off the wall 4th line defender.

Anyone who defends this GM is completely delusional to think that he has any clue what he is doing. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Frank710. Show Frank710's posts

While Hamill has not done much as the 8th overall pick, the 2007 draft was nothing special.  The only first rounders (taken after Hamill) that are even regualrs now are Brandon Sutter (11), Max Pacioretty (22), and David Perron (26). 

Hamill has not been impressive, but there are very few guys in that draft, who at this point would be any sort of upgrade.

http://hockeydb.com/ihdb/draft/nhl2007e.html

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Hamill would not have to clear waivers as he has a 2 way contract. only players with 1 way have to clear waivers
    Posted by moogfan35

Wrong.  2-way/1-way contract refers only to the salaries players are paid.  2-way contract means you get $X in the NHL and $Y in the AHL.  Waiver exposure is determined by years of service. It's bargained as a way to ensure that guys who are held down by the talent level of one organization aren't trapped there and constantly yo-yoed up and down. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

In Response to Re: whitfield best prospect : Wrong.  2-way/1-way contract refers only to the salaries players are paid.  2-way contract means you get $X in the NHL and $Y in the AHL.  Waiver exposure is determined by years of service. It's bargained as a way to ensure that guys who are held down by the talent level of one organization aren't trapped there and constantly yo-yoed up and down. 
    Posted by Bookboy007

In agreement waivers are in the contract language, typical of entry level deals though, there are no waivers usually.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from days-of-Orr. Show days-of-Orr's posts

I don't know why anyone is excited about having a possible lottery pick this year.  Because we could end up with #1 pick and PC would pick some off the wall 4th line defender. Anyone who defends this GM is completely delusional to think that he has any clue what he is doing. 
    Posted by dbg1

unless the Leafs pick drops lower than #3, i doubt very much that even Chiarelli could mess it up....  then again....

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from north1234. Show north1234's posts

agree for sure..a stiff like whitfield gets chances galore but why not hamill...cant be any worst..yup g.m. is plain stupid..yup three year deal to bandaid ference  stupid stupid

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

What Frank said.  It's also ridiculous to point to one pick and say Chiarelli's an idiot, especially when as of now, Hamill's gone from off the radar to looking like he's going to earn a look at this level.  Between injuries, adjustments, and physical maturity, you never know how long it will take for a prospect to hit his stride.  Logan Couture is just starting to round into form in San Jose, for example, and he was drafted right after Hamill.  Bobby Ryan wasn't an impact player in the NHL until last year - his fourth year after being drafted.  He played two more years of junior, and one full season in the A.  Next year is Hamill's fourth. I'm not suggesting he'll be Bobby Ryan, but those of you giving up on Hamill would have cut Ryan loose too, and he went 2nd overall behind Cindy Crysby (god I love that).

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

Bookboy, To be fair (and i know its only an example) but Ryan finished his juniors (as did hamill) and then stepped in at a point per game in the AHL, while seeing some nhl  time, 10pts in 23 games, and then playing 64 last year...

That said, I don't think Hamill is the guy the bruins should be looking to call up at this point..

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from BruinsGM24. Show BruinsGM24's posts

I've heard Hamill has been better the second half of the season.  Any confirmation on that?  I don't think it's any secret that Hamill isn't anything really special.  BUT, if his playmaking ability and ice vision is as good as people say it is, I don't think it's fair to make a final judgement on the kid.  He's only 21 years old, and was small to begin with.  I want to see what he can do if he gets stronger.  I'd say next year is a make or break year for Hamill.

Colborne is the guy everyone really has their eye on.  Should be in Providence next year.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

BruinsGM heard the same thing, and well, next year is the end of hamills deal, so if he doesn't see any time with the big club I don't know what we do, trade him out for a low end pick or someone else's prospect who hasn't developed..  Another 1 year 2 way deal etc..

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

isnt whitifield a journeyman in his thirties? 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

@rolerhoky - The difference is that Ryan went back to Jr. for two years not one, and given that he was #2 and not #8, there was talk that we was going to be a bust.  And he wasn't in Anaheim for good until the end of year three.  Fair enough to say he's still ahead of Hamill, but he's a #2 who didn't step right in and play like Jordan Staal and Hedberg and Doughty, and yet he's now broken through after a bit more seasoning.  van Riemsdyk was #2 in Hamill's draft year, and he's just now making the jump.  The #3 that year, Turris, had one year in Phoenix but is now back in the minors.  He has all of 10 more points than Hamill.  Thomas Hickey - #4 - hasn't played an NHL game for LA, and Karl Alzner at #5 hasn't really cracked Washinton's lineup despite the limitations of their D corps.

Hamill's played close to a point/game hockey since the AHL all-star break.  He's also dug himself out of a -9 hole to be a plus player.  He's tied with Whitfield in points - though TW has played about 15 fewer games - but he's also only six back of Lehtonen for the team lead.  The addition of his former Silvertips teammate John Lammers seems to have sparked him.  Lammers is 8-8-16 in 29 games since coming over from the Moose.

If you concede that his wrist injury cost him nearly a year of development, right in the middle of his pro transition, they you might speculate that he's a year behind Ryan's development pace.  If he's a ppg player through the first half of the year next year, he has to get a 20 game NHL tryout to see if it's worth extending him.  It won't be expensive....

...and in the end, no, this is not the time to give him a shot unless the Bruins are absolutely deperate.  Whitfield isn't a prospect; he's duct tape.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from moogfan35. Show moogfan35's posts

In Response to Re: whitfield best prospect : Wrong.  2-way/1-way contract refers only to the salaries players are paid.  2-way contract means you get $X in the NHL and $Y in the AHL.  Waiver exposure is determined by years of service. It's bargained as a way to ensure that guys who are held down by the talent level of one organization aren't trapped there and constantly yo-yoed up and down. 
    Posted by Bookboy007

Ok so I wasnt up on guys with 2 way contracts have to pass through waivers if they meet certain criteria, Which Hamill does not. And 1 way contract all have to pass through waivers both coming and going. It doesnt only refer to the salary they make at which level they play

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from JWensink. Show JWensink's posts

The MOST troubling aspect of the Hamill pick is the TYPE of player he is.
    No size or strength. This is becoming a trademark of this GM's ability to evaluate talent. What's the deal with all the small, slow, non-physical players currently in this franchise???
    ( you can check the last two games against Pitt for an example of why this is a problem- you know - the Pens- the stanley cup winning pens)

I'm really not sure how he could f**k things up any worse

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Yeah, it does. That language - one way contract - only means that if you send the player down, you still have to pay him his NHL salary.  This part's true though - you'll almost never see a guy with a one-way deal who isn't required to pass through waivers.  Usually, as with Hunwick and Boychuk, guys get one-way contracts after their entry level agreements expire, and that's about the same time as they have to start passing through waivers before they can be sent down.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

I often wonder exactly what all Chiarelli's high priced vice presidents contribute to the players that are picked. In most clubs it is a consensus pick with the scouts leading the recommendation. Is Benning our chief scout?? If so what has he done?? Is he too new to be counted yet?? That said, they still need the coach to play the players. Look how well Scott Gordon did with Providence and now Long Island