Why is hockey an afterthought?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from screw-cindy-and-ovie. Show screw-cindy-and-ovie's posts

Why is hockey an afterthought?

Is iit me or does anyone feel like this bruins forum has the least number of posters out of the 4 boston teams. I just don't get it. The thread "toronto record tracker" has been going for almost a full year, it will be 1 year old october 6th. That thread, which is most likely the longest in the history of this forum, has 873 posts as of right now. On the pats forum, there is a thread that was started this morning and has already exceeded TRT in posts. It seems like other teams get contant blog updates and we barely get any. Is it just me or are the bruins just an afterthought?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BruinsNumber4. Show BruinsNumber4's posts

Re: Why is hockey an afterthought?

sort of like finding merchandise in the store from the other three Boston sports teams plus Yankees crap and almost no bruins gear. Hockey is an after thought, its pretty lame.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Also keep in mind that the other 3 teams have recently won championships so the bandwagoners jumped back onboard the other three. When the Bruins end their drought you'll see allot more on this board as there have been allot of Bruins fans who finally gave up/got fed up and you will see more activity on this forum once the season starts especially when Boston plays Toronto and Montreal. Also allot of Bruins fans only post on the Bruins Blog, Notebook and Sunday Hockey Notes n don't come over hear because of the bickering.

I would also say that hfboards have taken quite a few posters from here because hfboards have moderators that don't allow name calling and trolling. When you jump on another teams board over there you basically have to proclaim that you're there to talk hockey then the moderator won't delete your posts.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from bim09. Show bim09's posts

I went to the Mall in 08 looking for Bruins gear and found very little.  They had winter hats, that's about it.  Lid's didn't even carry a 59fifty hat..  I went last season and still no 59fifty hats, but there were some shirts.  So, maybe the retailers are begining to catch on.  But I agree with you, there's been very little support from the retailers and sporting goods stores for the Bruins.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichmondHillOntario. Show RichmondHillOntario's posts

In Response to Re: Why is hockey an afterthought?:
    [QUOTE]Also keep in mind that the other 3 teams have recently won championships so the bandwagoners jumped back onboard the other three. When the Bruins end their drought you'll see allot more on this board as there have been allot of Bruins fans who finally gave up/got fed up and you will see more activity on this forum once the season starts especially when Boston plays Toronto and Montreal. Also allot of Bruins fans only post on the Bruins Blog, Notebook and Sunday Hockey Notes n don't come over hear because of the bickering. I would also say that hfboards have taken quite a few posters from here because hfboards have moderators that don't allow name calling and trolling. When you jump on another teams board over there you basically have to proclaim that you're there to talk hockey then the moderator won't delete your posts.
    Posted by SanDogBrewin[/QUOTE]

Well said, Dog.  Maybe some folks are also reading the blog but not just posting right now.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BruinsNumber4. Show BruinsNumber4's posts

i went to lids in 08 for a bruins hat and the guy asked me if i meant UCLA,  fail, they actually have some bruins now though

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

I say its because of all the out of towners that come in from Atlanta or God knows where, they come here and they have the cash and they don't know hockey and they are the ones who now make it a national emergency every time there's a snow storm.  They'll jump on the Sox, Pats and Celts bandwagon until they jump jobs to Orlando.

Also look at all the out of towners media people that use Boston as jumping off point for bigger cities like Dick Stockton and Curt Gowdy and there's quite a few others that I can't remember the names of.  Again, out of towners like Lobell come into town and know nothing about hockey, and like other sports journalists who don't do their homework just dismiss sports they don't know about by saying 'who cares."

It is a disgrace.  Look at this web page;

http://www.hockey-reference.com/friv/birthplaces.cgi
    166 NHL players from MA.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/friv/birthplaces.cgi?country=US&state=MA
    31 ABA NBA players from MA.

NFL players born in MA. 
    ????
    http://www.databasefootball.com/players/player_bystate.htm?state=MA
    this is the only web page I can find.  It looks pretty b.s. to me, a lot of players are listed twice.  And you get listed for playing 1 game pro.

MLB players born in MA. 647
    http://www.baseball-reference.com/bio/MA_born.shtml

This says to me that hockey SHOULD be at least the #3 sport in this town if not #2.  So why isn't it?

Hockey fans revolt and take this city, take this state back!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from NumbaFouwer. Show NumbaFouwer's posts

In Response to Why is hockey an afterthought?:
    [QUOTE]Is iit me or does anyone feel like this bruins forum has the least number of posters out of the 4 boston teams. I just don't get it. The thread "toronto record tracker" has been going for almost a full year, it will be 1 year old october 6th. That thread, which is most likely the longest in the history of this forum, has 873 posts as of right now. On the pats forum, there is a thread that was started this morning and has already exceeded TRT in posts. It seems like other teams get contant blog updates and we barely get any. Is it just me or are the bruins just an afterthought?
    Posted by screw-cindy-and-ovie[/QUOTE]
    That Pats thread that is so high is a game thread. Game threads on both the Pats and Sox boards get a lot more posts than normal threads. I know, as I post on those game threads all the time.

And that game between the Pats and the Jets was the game of the week, thus even more than normal posts today. Last week there was only about 500 posts for the Pats/Bengals game thread, which is a more normal amount.

I'm not sure if this board has game threads for Bruins games, but it sure is a nice way to watch a game sometimes. 

And no apologies here for being a fan of all the Boston sports teams. I've been that way, way before the Sox and Pats were championship teams. Living near Boston for many years has something to do with that.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from screw-cindy-and-ovie. Show screw-cindy-and-ovie's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Why is hockey an afterthought? : That Pats thread that is so high is a game thread. Game threads on both the Pats and Sox boards get a lot more posts than normal threads. I know, as I post on those game threads all the time. And that game between the Pats and the Jets was the game of the week, thus even more than normal posts today. Last week there was only about 500 posts for the Pats/Bengals game thread, which is a more normal amount. I'm not sure if this board has game threads for Bruins games, but it sure is a nice way to watch a game sometimes.  And no apologies here for being a fan of all the Boston sports teams. I've been that way, way before the Sox and Pats were championship teams. Living near Boston for many years has something to do with that.
    Posted by NumbaFouwer[/QUOTE]
    Im a huge fan of all four too. The ones I follow real closely aare the pats and bruins, but I occasionally stop by the sox and celtics forums to see whats up. Way more fans than this forum

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from TryToBearIt. Show TryToBearIt's posts

all the above is true but you also have to remember that hockey itself barely registers as a sport, even in an Original 6 city like Boston.

The NHL also has no idea how to market itself as a league to draw interest (witness the fact that the league has already said it doesn't want to send NHL players to the Olympics anymore despite the fact that it was by far the most exciting sport at the winter games this year and the playoff rounds were thru-the-roof successes.)

Add into the mix one more thing a lot of us here probably don't want to admit: The Bruins themselves are largely to blame for turning themselves into perennial post-season failures or no-shows at all. Grouse all you want about "bandwagon fans" for the Celts, Pats and Sox, but fans like winners...they like to talk about winners...and winning sells merchandise.

going 38 years without a Stanley Cup, along with some seriously depressing years in between (The Steve Kasper era; the el foldo vs. the Flyers last year; the jettison of players w/any star power--i.e. Joe Thornton) translates to apathy and a dearth of official team jerseys flying off the shelves. (I love Patrice Bergeron as much as any Bruins fan, but you're just not going to get his #37 moving the way a #12 Brady or #34 Big Papi or #5 KG uniform.)

You can argue as to the reasons the Bruins have been title-less since Jacobs bought the team (hint: Jacobs bought the team), but the bottom line is that until the Bruins do prove they can win hockey's ultimate prize*--and DO IT--fan interest is going to be cult-level at best, and the Bruins as an organization have to take responsibility for that.

*One other possible factor that could ramp up interest--and it won;'t happen for at least 2-3 years, if he's for real--is the emergence of Seguin as a true superstar. The Penguins sell plenty of Crosby jerseys even tho' Pitt. is still very much Steeler country, and the nation's capitol is awash in Ovechkin gear even tho' the Redskins are still the talk of the town (for better or worse.)

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

It's the nature of the beast. Not only does Boston have the Bruins, but, they have the Beanpot [ no one talks about] they have B.U. and B.C. hockey played in nationwide tournements[ no one talks about] they are limited in seating compared to Foxboro and Fenway [ doesn't explain the Celtics fervor] and Hockey is a sport that needs exposure and understanding unlike these other major sports. Youth hockey is expensive. I postponed buying a Dining room table and chairs so that my two sons could be outfitted and taught the game of hockey. In many respects hockey is like LaCrosse[ what's that?] Did the Indians really play, and were the Onondagas forbidden to compete, this year, in London because they wanted to use their"Nation"'s passports as they had been doing for the past 20 or so years.Skilled hockey is much more complex than baseball, football and basketball, therefore it does not attract a horde of followers except for the readers and contributors here.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from duinne. Show duinne's posts

Look at hockey like art, or music, or literature, or any other sort of entertainment.

What's the most popular, and what, in contrast, is most critically acclaimed?

What or who is more popular among the masses, Thomas Kincaide or Picasso? "The Dukes of Hazzard" or "Frontline"? Dan Brown or Kazuo Ishiguro?

Hockey just isn't the average joe's thing. The only thing that appeals to many is the fights; intelligent hockey fans recognize the rationale behind fighting and can appreciate its place in the game, but know it's not the main event. Hockey for the average sports fan is too fast, too cerebral, too "foreign," just too difficult to comprehend. 

And you know, I don't mind. I like that I'm a fan of a unique sport that the masses don't "get." I can stand in front of "Guernica" and be astounded by its terrible beauty, while Joe Fan grabs a fuzzy bunch of colors of a cottage and flowers and thinks he's got a masterpiece.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from NumbaFouwer. Show NumbaFouwer's posts

I agree with your post, duinne. But the fighting in hockey also turns a lot of people off. I know a lot of people who think that way.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from flave36. Show flave36's posts

I think its catching up, 11-14k for a freakin rookie game? That's pretty rediculous.  And the stores are definitely catching up, the winter classic merch last year, and when I walked in to Modells a couple weeks ago, a brand new shiny #19 t-shirt greeted me at the fornt door. So expect less ticket availabilty and merch to become more popular.  But I hope it doens't get pink hatish. I like the fact that its a smaller community and if you need to find information there are plenty of other sites/twitters to check for good and crappy information.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

[QUOTE]Look at hockey like art, or music, or literature, or any other sort of entertainment. What's the most popular, and what, in contrast, is most critically acclaimed? What or who is more popular among the masses, Thomas Kincaide or Picasso? "The Dukes of Hazzard" or "Frontline"? Dan Brown or Kazuo Ishiguro? Hockey just isn't the average joe's thing. The only thing that appeals to many is the fights; intelligent hockey fans recognize the rationale behind fighting and can appreciate its place in the game, but know it's not the main event. Hockey for the average sports fan is too fast, too cerebral, too "foreign," just too difficult to comprehend.  And you know, I don't mind. I like that I'm a fan of a unique sport that the masses don't "get." I can stand in front of "Guernica" and be astounded by its terrible beauty, while Joe Fan grabs a fuzzy bunch of colors of a cottage and flowers and thinks he's got a masterpiece.  
    Posted by duinne[/QUOTE]

I hear what you're saying, I'm probably one of a handful of people who attended the Philadelphia Museum of Art and the Philadelphia Phantoms on the same day.

What bothers me is the lack of televised coverage.  ALL of the preseason games should be televised.  Given how cheap tv time is nowadays (relatively), I would think there would be no issue with broadcasting all the preseason games.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from perrysound. Show perrysound's posts

It must be nice having sooooo many winning teams that it buries the Bruins. Sniff, sniff, we can't remember the last time we won anything... well 92, 93 Blue Jays World Series, but other than that....
    Heck, we'd be happy if any of them made the playoffs. Even the Leafs.
    It's been so long.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from TryToBearIt. Show TryToBearIt's posts

[QUOTE]Look at hockey like art, or music, or literature, or any other sort of entertainment. What's the most popular, and what, in contrast, is most critically acclaimed? What or who is more popular among the masses, Thomas Kincaide or Picasso? "The Dukes of Hazzard" or "Frontline"? Dan Brown or Kazuo Ishiguro? Hockey just isn't the average joe's thing. The only thing that appeals to many is the fights; intelligent hockey fans recognize the rationale behind fighting and can appreciate its place in the game, but know it's not the main event. Hockey for the average sports fan is too fast, too cerebral, too "foreign," just too difficult to comprehend.  And you know, I don't mind. I like that I'm a fan of a unique sport that the masses don't "get." I can stand in front of "Guernica" and be astounded by its terrible beauty, while Joe Fan grabs a fuzzy bunch of colors of a cottage and flowers and thinks he's got a masterpiece.  
    Posted by duinne[/QUOTE]

It's a great point and I also agree with you and the previous poster who are fine w/hockey being under the radar. The last thing we need is for the sport to undergo the overkill of football (it's also why I wish the NHL hadn't expanded to warm weather states when what it really needs is more teams in Canada).

Football and basketball are like the movies "Titanic" and "Pretty Woman"...glossy, easy to digest, un-challenging and made for mass consumption...but hockey is more like a great Indie film like "Stranger Than Paradise", "Reservoir Dogs", or "Clerks" (those last two for occassional violence and raunch)...or maybe the best analogy of hockey's appeal is that it's like the greatest sports movie ever made--that just happens to be about hockey: "Slap Shot."  Not for everyone, but the folks who love Slap Shot, really love Slap Shot!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from seobrien. Show seobrien's posts

Personally, I'm fine with it. I like being in the fraction of fans who follow the Bruins because they love hockey and realize what a great sport it is and will root for their team regardless.

The marginalization of the sport is partly due to the Network/ESPN factions glorifying  basketball (I hate the NBA) and football. I mean chrissakes, the WNBA gets on ESPN but hockey gets dropped? Baseball is "America's game" (to say nothing of the multi-generational ties to the Sox). Add in the recent bumblings of the franchise and league itself and it's not hard to see why hockey is 4 here.

It is odd though to think of the fact that, prior to 1975 (some may argue '67), Boston was pretty exclusively a Hockey town and tickets were consistently scarce. The Pats were less than nothing, you could get tickets to the NBA finals on game day during the entire Russell era, and if the Sox got 20K in the park it was a banner day.

If/when the B's break through, you'll find there are still millions of "experts who've been following the B's forever" just dying to state the obvious on this board.

PS, the Globe's Celtics game day blog threads usually peters out after a few posts.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

I think one of the reasons for the fewer posters is that unlike the Pats, Sox, and Celtics, a huge portion of the Bruins fanbase doesn't live in Mass., and as such they don't have much reason to pop by the Globe's site. In fact I know a number of B's fans, including the rest of my family and my best friends, who won't come here because of the trolls.
    I've only been to Boston twice in my life (both times to see the Bruins play), but I pop by here purely to read about the Bruins, because like many Canadians they're my team - If you're a Canuck you basically cheer for one of 9 teams - the six Canadian squads, or the Bruins, Red Wings and Hawks (I've never met a Canadian Rangers fan) It goes back to the original six days, and it's still a huge part of Canadian culture. I live nearly 3,000 miles from the Garden, and almost every single day I see someone (besides myself) walking around wearing Bruins gear. I'd be willing to hazard a guess that there are more Bruins fans in Canada than there are in Mass. Just watch the stands whenever the B's play in a Canadian city - there's usually as many Bruins jerseys as there are of the home team.
    But most of these fans, who support the team through merchandise and pay per view games (I bought NHL CentreIce just to see the B's), would rather hit other more Canadian oriented hockey sites to talk about their team. The Bruins pages on hfboards are always busy, and on tsn, the Your Comment section on any Bruins story is always among the biggest (only leafs and habs articles get more posts).
    I think it will always be this way - I'm in my 30's so I became a B's fan after expansion, and I see kids as young as two wearing Bruins hats. It's handed down through families. The Bruins fanbase is far bigger than one may think if you only look at the Boston market itself.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from duinne. Show duinne's posts

[QUOTE]I think one of the reasons for the fewer posters is that unlike the Pats, Sox, and Celtics, a huge portion of the Bruins fanbase doesn't live in Mass., and as such they don't have much reason to pop by the Globe's site. In fact I know a number of B's fans, including the rest of my family and my best friends, who won't come here because of the trolls. I've only been to Boston twice in my life (both times to see the Bruins play), but I pop by here purely to read about the Bruins, because like many Canadians they're my team - If you're a Canuck you basically cheer for one of 9 teams - the six Canadian squads, or the Bruins, Red Wings and Hawks (I've never met a Canadian Rangers fan) It goes back to the original six days, and it's still a huge part of Canadian culture. I live nearly 3,000 miles from the Garden, and almost every single day I see someone (besides myself) walking around wearing Bruins gear. I'd be willing to hazard a guess that there are more Bruins fans in Canada than there are in Mass. Just watch the stands whenever the B's play in a Canadian city - there's usually as many Bruins jerseys as there are of the home team. But most of these fans, who support the team through merchandise and pay per view games (I bought NHL CentreIce just to see the B's), would rather hit other more Canadian oriented hockey sites to talk about their team. The Bruins pages on hfboards are always busy, and on tsn, the Your Comment section on any Bruins story is always among the biggest (only leafs and habs articles get more posts). I think it will always be this way - I'm in my 30's so I became a B's fan after expansion, and I see kids as young as two wearing Bruins hats. It's handed down through families. The Bruins fanbase is far bigger than one may think if you only look at the Boston market itself.
    Posted by red75[/QUOTE]

Just to clarify, the Bruins, Patriots, Celtics and Red Sox have never been considered just Boston's teams, or even just Massachusetts' teams. They are New England's teams, and the fans in places like Bangor and Burlington are just as loyal as in Boston itself. The Bruins have conducted practices and team-building exercises in recent years in northern Vermont, and the welcome they receive there is impressive to say the least. I always thought that was a great idea, because it makes the players realize just how widespread their following is.  

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Why is hockey an afterthought? : Just to clarify, the Bruins, Patriots, Celtics and Red Sox have never been considered just Boston's teams, or even just Massachusetts' teams. They are New England's teams, and the fans in places like Bangor and Burlington are just as loyal as in Boston itself. The Bruins have conducted practices and team-building exercises in recent years in northern Vermont, and the welcome they receive there is impressive to say the least. I always thought that was a great idea, because it makes the players realize just how widespread their following is.    
    Posted by duinne[/QUOTE]

Good point Duinne. I should have been more succinct by saying that the Bruins fan base goes far beyond New England, rather than just Mass. I don't think the Pats, Sox and Celtics can say the same thing.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrCC. Show DrCC's posts

Incidentally, a while back someone started a thread that had people listing where they were posting from.  I think at least half of us are displaced New Englanders.  People from out of the region come here because it may be a good option for keeping tabs on the team, and having legitimate hockey conversations (a big thing if you live in a place where snow causes panic, and you don't have anyone to talk hockey with).

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

It's these darn out of towners I tell ya.  Imagine living in the Boston area and a snow storm is a national crisis.  When I was a kid and it snowed we never thought a thing of it.  We walked to school in the snow, barefoot, and it was uphill both ways!

But seriously, it's out of town media that come here, and a lot of out of town money comes here and they take over.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from NumbaFouwer. Show NumbaFouwer's posts

[QUOTE]I think one of the reasons for the fewer posters is that unlike the Pats, Sox, and Celtics, a huge portion of the Bruins fanbase doesn't live in Mass., and as such they don't have much reason to pop by the Globe's site.In fact I know a number of B's fans, including the rest of my family and my best friends, who won't come here because of the trolls. I've only been to Boston twice in my life (both times to see the Bruins play), but I pop by here purely to read about the Bruins, because like many Canadians they're my team - If you're a Canuck you basically cheer for one of 9 teams - the six Canadian squads, or the Bruins, Red Wings and Hawks (I've never met a Canadian Rangers fan) It goes back to the original six days, and it's still a huge part of Canadian culture. I live nearly 3,000 miles from the Garden, and almost every single day I see someone (besides myself) walking around wearing Bruins gear. I'd be willing to hazard a guess that there are more Bruins fans in Canada than there are in Mass. Just watch the stands whenever the B's play in a Canadian city - there's usually as many Bruins jerseys as there are of the home team. But most of these fans, who support the team through merchandise and pay per view games (I bought NHL CentreIce just to see the B's), would rather hit other more Canadian oriented hockey sites to talk about their team. The Bruins pages on hfboards are always busy, and on tsn, the Your Comment section on any Bruins story is always among the biggest (only leafs and habs articles get more posts). I think it will always be this way - I'm in my 30's so I became a B's fan after expansion, and I see kids as young as two wearing Bruins hats. It's handed down through families. The Bruins fanbase is far bigger than one may think if you only look at the Boston market itself.
    Posted by red75[/QUOTE]
    I disagree with you there. Red Sox Nation is all over America, and also in some of the eastern Canadian provinces, like New Brunswick and Nova Scotia.

I would say that a lot of people who post on the Sox board, don't live in MA and the surrounding New England states (although most of them did at some point in their life). Ditto for the Pats board, but less true for the Celtics board.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

And I'd disagree - those posters are mainly ex-pat New Englanders. The fans I'm speaking of in the Canadian market have, for the most part, never even been to New England. And while I've met the odd Canadian Celts fan, Pats and Sox fans are almost non-existent.

And while there are some East coasters who cheer for the Pats and Sox, they are far outnumbered by the Bruins fans out there (they are Canucks afterall, so they will gravitate to hockey)