Why Thomas Won't Win Back #1

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from dc-bruins-fan. Show dc-bruins-fan's posts

Why Thomas Won't Win Back #1

I love the "always room for improvement" attitude he displays below. Rask is too dedicated to getting better and has far higher upside than Thomas (and probably all but maybe 2-3 goalies in the world). Not only was Rask huge last night, but his movement, which is his strength, was way more fluid than last year. Did you guys notice how effortlessly he moved from post to post? He was so efficient in his movements that he didn't really have to move all that much and he let shots come to him (even tough ones).

Tuukka Rask was tremendous in the Bruins net, particularly in the first period when he turned aside all 11 Canadiens shots to allow his team to enter the first intermission with a 3-0 lead. He played all 60 minutes and made 36 saves to get the Bruins a victory despite being outshot 38-16.

Rask, however, was not totally satisfied with his evening's work.

"Well," he said, "it wasn't a shutout."

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from pbergeron37. Show pbergeron37's posts

Re: Why Thomas Won't Win Back #1

Hes a good goalie, but I don't think he will win it back simply because Rask is a young hungry goalie who is currently better.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from NorthernBrewin. Show NorthernBrewin's posts

Tank doesn't have to win the top job back. If he can play as a solid backup and get in 30 games and showcase his talents for another team.

At worst, we'll have two solid goalies for a couple more years. That's a problem I can live with.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

In Response to Re: Why Thomas Won't Win Back #1:
    [QUOTE]Tank doesn't have to win the top job back. If he can play as a solid backup and get in 30 games and showcase his talents for another team. At worst, we'll have two solid goalies for a couple more years. That's a problem I can live with.
    Posted by NorthernBrewin[/QUOTE]

I just read the TSN 30 teams in 30 days on the bruins, what a horrid piece it was, so mayn errors, but that aside it did suggest thomas would be wiling to accept a trade to a team that allows him to be a starter (also mentions his $6 (wrong) mill cap hit) and if he isnt traded by next offseason, expect him to be a buy out (35 plus??)

That being said, we have 0 goalies outside of the NHL right now, nothing can be done with thomas til that is addressed..

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from NorthernBrewin. Show NorthernBrewin's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Why Thomas Won't Win Back #1 : I just read the TSN 30 teams in 30 days on the bruins, what a horrid piece it was, so mayn errors, but that aside it did suggest thomas would be wiling to accept a trade to a team that allows him to be a starter (also mentions his $6 (wrong) mill cap hit) and if he isnt traded by next offseason, expect him to be a buy out (35 plus??) That being said, we have 0 goalies outside of the NHL right now, nothing can be done with thomas til that is addressed..
    Posted by rolerhoky19[/QUOTE]

I read that piece earlier today. I agree, it was weak.

I think we're good for a couple more years but PC & Co. have to keep an eye out there for strategic vision. Good news is that goalies were going for fairly cheap this year. Whether that supply/demand metric is still there going forward is another story.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from anddebbv. Show anddebbv's posts

if i was thomas i sit an wait for rask to screw up . it wont take that long . with the 1 2 goalie system boston has this is the year they win it all  they have the offence an defense plus the goal-tending , an if savard comes back or not , sit him on the shelf as along as you have to if he wants to cry in ottawa let him walk or send him down for 30 games to the minors

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

It did make me think though, at the end of the season the bruins could buy thomas out for 6 m for the remaining 2 years we wouldnt see anything on the cap side of things, but would save 3m in "real world money" what would it take a team to buy player out simply to save 1/3 of the salary?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from perrysound. Show perrysound's posts

We have it so good. 2 premier goalies. What more can you ask for.

I believe Rask is going to be the #1 goalie for a long time, and certainly hope so. But wouldn't it be nice to have Thomas playing 25 - 30 games so that Rask is properly rested for the Playoffs, and should he get injured, you have a guy that you are confident in.

Seriously, why get rid of him.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Newfiebullet. Show Newfiebullet's posts

[QUOTE]We have it so good. 2 premier goalies. What more can you ask for. I believe Rask is going to be the #1 goalie for a long time, and certainly hope so. But wouldn't it be nice to have Thomas playing 25 - 30 games so that Rask is properly rested for the Playoffs, and should he get injured, you have a guy that you are confident in. Seriously, why get rid of him.
    Posted by perrysound[/QUOTE]

Simple. Because they could have someone do that for a lot less money & open up capspace to be able to acquire a PMD.

It would also assist the cap situation so the Bruins won't get penalized on next yrs cap when other players achieve bonuses or they go above the cap & get penalized like they are this year.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Why Thomas Won't Win Back #1 : Simple. Because they could have someone do that for a lot less money & open up capspace to be able to acquire a PMD. It would also assist the cap situation so the Bruins won't get penalized on next yrs cap when other players achieve bonuses or they go above the cap & get penalized like they are this year.
    Posted by Newfiebullet[/QUOTE]

I disagree, I think they can get a backup for less....

But thomas is still a capable starter, and your not going to replace him with a better goalie for less.. Goalies of his ability are either, 1) not available, or 2) earning more money.. He ranks something like 15th in the NHL in salary for goalies, I would call that fair market value..

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Newfiebullet. Show Newfiebullet's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Why Thomas Won't Win Back #1 : I disagree, I think they can get a backup for less.... But thomas is still a capable starter, and your not going to replace him with a better goalie for less.. Goalies of his ability are either, 1) not available, or 2) earning more money.. He ranks something like 15th in the NHL in salary for goalies, I would call that fair market value..

We shall see how the year goes. The best case scenerio for the Bruins is if both have great years & Thomas rebuilds his trade value so someone can take on that contract at the trade deadline.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucicfan. Show lucicfan's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Why Thomas Won't Win Back #1 : We shall see how the year goes. The best case scenerio for the Bruins is if both have great years & Thomas rebuilds his trade value so someone can take on that contract at the trade deadline.
    Posted by Newfiebullet[/QUOTE]

I like the fact that we have 2 #1 goalies @ a cap hit of just over 6 million some teams spend that on one goalie. theres other ways to create cap space, why wreck a good thing? thomas and Rask have a great relationship and Thomas also speaks fluent Finnish. They are both back ups for each other.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from yaz16. Show yaz16's posts

PC was dumb to give Thomas the contract he did. The guy could have been had for 3.5 million per year for 3 years.

Even after such terrific season there was doubt if more than 2 teams were interested in picking him up that off season. Plus you got a young stud in Rask who did all he could down in providence. So i couldn't for the life of me understand the signing

Rask is more solid and less likely to give up easy goals. Yeah TT can make spectacular saves Rask cannot but he also gives up some bonehead easy goals

Thomas will be kept as backup (getting 25-30) games in the year

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from myoung125. Show myoung125's posts

I have read what seems like every goalie thread on this board all summer long and no one has put it as well as jf19 has. Very well said. Go B's!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Newfiebullet. Show Newfiebullet's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Why Thomas Won't Win Back #1 : Tell me what Rask won in Providence?When Thomas was signed the Bruins management had no way of knowing Rask would have the strong rookie season,he did last year.Just as there is no telling how well he will do this year.There may come a point where the fans are very glad to have a goalie with Thomas's ability this year.The market for goalies changed this year,and no one had a crystal ball to know the salarys would fall like they did.I for one hope one of the Bruins goalies wins the Vezina this season.As well as another Jennings as the best tandem in the league, regardless of the starter.
    Posted by juniorfalcons19[/QUOTE]

Isn't it the Bruins front office's job to be able to assess young players & evaluate them & when they feel they will be ready?

I had no problem with the Bs signing Thomas for a 2 yr deal at the money he is making. The problem is the 4 yr deal with a NTC & an over 35+ contract. Chia gave in on every aspect of that deal. Just a terrible deal.

For those who say Rask may regress this year that is true. But lets not forget Thomas may regress further as well. Thomas is 36 & Rask is 22. Thomas' trade value was nil in the offseason & may become even less if he does not rebound this season. Easily more of a risk then Rask regressing IMO.

As for the 6.5 million between two "# 1" goalies. That has simply become an excuse for Thomas lovers to justify his contract & existance to the Bruins. Thomas was not a "# 1 goalie" last year & was extremely inconsistent.

How would of an extra 4 million of his contract looked if the Bs were able to acquire a scoring winger or a top 4 dman? If the Bruins were able to deal him in the offseason & sign Biron they wouldn't be in the cap situation we are now.

The terms of the deal were terrible for Thomas. With all that said I really hope he can rebound & at least raise his value so the Bruins could find a taker. You can bet Chia will give him every opportunity because he will look like an idiot if Thomas declines further while Rask continues to be the # 1. Chia & management may have been wrong on how long Rask would take to develop & also may have been wrong on Thomas' ability as the number 1. Not a good combination. Chia does not get a pass from me for that contract.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

Newfie
    the thomas contract threads should be dead, but thomas would not have signed a 2 year deal.. It's not a dicatator ship, its a negotiation, thomas would have been the best available goalie on the market, the bruins locked him up, rask was untested, you cant hinge a franchise on a guy with little to no experience and let the reigning vezina winner walk on a team that just won the conference, he was in a high place for that negotiation, not the bruins management.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrCC. Show DrCC's posts

Just so you know - his NMC/NTC expires after the third year.
    http://www.capgeek.com/players/display.php?id=236

It won't help if he plays badly, but if he plays well enough (and the Bruins can find an adequate replacement) he will be moveable at that point.  One year paying $3M for a $5M cap hit?  Plenty of teams with no real aspirations and a bottom line would be willing to consider taking that on.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Orrthebest. Show Orrthebest's posts

[QUOTE]Newfie the thomas contract threads should be dead, but thomas would not have signed a 2 year deal.. It's not a dicatator ship, its a negotiation, thomas would have been the best available goalie on the market, the bruins locked him up, rask was untested, you cant hinge a franchise on a guy with little to no experience and let the reigning vezina winner walk on a team that just won the conference, he was in a high place for that negotiation, not the bruins management.

Yes but we did not need to sign Thomas, I said at the time he needs to sign for 3 million or less.  I also said we could sign Craig Anderson instead.  Who was the better Goalie last season making less than half the salary of the other one.  Unfortunately PC could see through Thomas's Jim Carey impression.