Wideman Skating

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BruinsGM24. Show BruinsGM24's posts

Wideman Skating

First, I should say that this is not a "bash Wideman" thread.  I think the guy has considerable talent and is just finding his game right now.

With that being said, I wanted to bring up a couple of serious flops that Wideman has had.  The first was against Montreal, and led to their only goal of the game.  The second was against the Penguins, and although it didn't lead to a goal, it led to an odd-man rush.

Is his confidence suffering that much?  I always remember Wideman being a smooth skater? Is he trying new skates or something?  I can't remember him falling down so blatantly last year...

Thoughts?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Re: Wideman Skating

I was watching an old NESN Bruins game the other night. Bruins vs. Oilers playoffs 1988. Wayne Gretzky coughed up the puck to Glen Wesley who raced down the ice and scored.

The Oilers did not bench Gretzky or trade him because of this.

These things happen , even the best players make mistakes.

You are zeroing in on a couple of miscues, perhaps looking for reasons why the Bruins are not in first place, perhaps not, I can't really say.

Wideman could go 20 games without a give away or he might do it again tonight.

Don't think he isn't aware of it or that he doesn't feel bad about it.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

I think the point is that the skating issues are something outside the usual risk/reward equation with Wideman.  He's going to give the puck up occasionally when he's trying to make things happen, and I can live with that as long as he's smart about picking his spots and not forcing plays.  But that wipeout on Hunwick and then the blown tire against the Pens were embarrassing.  Bad enough to make you wonder what's going on with the guy.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BruinsGM24. Show BruinsGM24's posts

In Response to Re: Wideman Skating:
    [QUOTE]I was watching an old NESN Bruins game the other night. Bruins vs. Oilers playoffs 1988. Wayne Gretzky coughed up the puck to Glen Wesley who raced down the ice and scored. The Oilers did not bench Gretzky or trade him because of this. These things happen , even the best players make mistakes. You are zeroing in on a couple of miscues, perhaps looking for reasons why the Bruins are not in first place, perhaps not, I can't really say. Wideman could go 20 games without a give away or he might do it again tonight. Don't think he isn't aware of it or that he doesn't feel bad about it.
    Posted by ZILLAGOD[/QUOTE]

Actually, I'm not putting ANY of the blame on Wideman for the B's not being in first - didn't even come close to making a comment like that...

I am merely making an observation and wondering what his deal is.  I really like what Wideman brings to the team.  My point was that he usually doesn't bring wipeouts blatantly leading to odd-man rushes.  And you're right, he could go 20 games without a skating miscue.  You just don't see wipeouts that often from NHL d-men.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ksp1957. Show ksp1957's posts

His skating is good, his shooting suc&s. I don't call him Wide-man for nothing.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SugarloafBruins. Show SugarloafBruins's posts

As long as he doesnt go for a shootout attempt and learn to fly again there is nothing wrong with his skating.

As a defensemen think about it... they skate backward and forwards and have to make loops going backwards while making hard forward passes. The amount of times a defenseman is required to pivot is a position issue not a player issue.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from joemizz11. Show joemizz11's posts

So your comparing Gretzky to Wideman,  right I know your not BUT If there are contributions at both ends of the Ice you are more willing to overlook some bad plays, but give it a rest,  Wideman has been the biggest dissapointment on the Team since the All Star break last year he has been Dreadful to start the Season. They signed this guy to a pretty big contract and ever since he has been a BUST.
    I hope he can turn things around from here on.   

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from JWensink. Show JWensink's posts

[QUOTE]So your comparing Gretzky to Wideman,  right I know your not BUT If there are contributions at both ends of the Ice you are more willing to overlook some bad plays, but give it a rest,  Wideman has been the biggest dissapointment on the Team since the All Star break last year he has been Dreadful to start the Season. They signed this guy to a pretty big contract and ever since he has been a BUST. I hope he can turn things around from here on.   
    Posted by joemizz11[/QUOTE]

Good post joemizz11 -

The truth is you Could have made a case for Wideman being our best player half way thru last year. He has lost it ever since, and almost seems to be getting worse. The man has talent, it's a shame he hasn't been able to overcome whatever his issues are. I sometimes think he should have been a forward.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from perrysound. Show perrysound's posts

The mistakes just seem so big though. He could do 10 good things a night, and get remembered for the one dumb thing.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Wideman skates ? I'd like to see him benched a game or 2 to see how he responds. Too much talent to be playing like he does. Some of the scoring streaks and quarterbacking he did on the powerplay last year were awesome. The Bs need him to be where he once was.

Very lackluster performer this year and he doesn't seem to get down or mad at himself. The one game I saw live this year he went skating up to Thomas and Tim just turned his head. Would not speak to Wideman. The Bs need this guy!

PS. Yah Gretzky Wideman comparison. Hmm thanks for lopping Wesley in there. Glen, Denise and Wayne in the same sentence LoL! 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BruinsGM24. Show BruinsGM24's posts

[QUOTE]The mistakes just seem so big though. He could do 10 good things a night, and get remembered for the one dumb thing.
    Posted by perrysound[/QUOTE]

I know Wideman's play wasn't that great after the All-Star break last year, but does anyone think the acquisition of Morris is affecting Wideman's play this season?

I feel like Wideman has been replaced by Morris as the "breakout guy."  Wideman was at his best last year when he transitioned the puck quickly, and I just don't see that extra jump in his step this year.  He's always missed the net a lot, and he's always been a giveaway machine, but without his slick breakouts, there hasn't been much to like this year.

If you ask me, it's a confidence issue stemming from multiple things.  Two of those contributors could be Morris being more reliable and the stress of living up to his first big contract.  Regardless, it's no excuse and he has to find his game at some point.  The talent from early 08-09 didn't just leave his body...

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BopGun9. Show BopGun9's posts

Skating issues? no way. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BxTG_ERbCcg

(if the link doesn't work, search 'top 10 shootout misses'. by the way, it's number one on the list)

That being said, I think if he gains his confidence back he can really contribute.  Here's to stringing together 3 in a row tonight!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from roydelaney. Show roydelaney's posts

Wideman was never that great last year.  He scored quite a few goals because he opportunity after opportunity to shoot from the blueline on the powerplay with no one pressuring him.  Half the time he missed the net, like he does 100% of the time when he has someone on him.  He can't skate backwards at all and at least once a game he passes the puck directly to a player on the opposing team.  The fact that the Bruins pay him $3mil is insane.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

The player named Wideman is an enigma.  He has games where he looks as if he could be a number 2 defenseman.  Then again why did Chiarelli sign Morris as Chara's defensive partner.  The guy is timid on the ice.  He makes poor decisions probably linked to the fact he has poor anticipation or offensive schematics when trying to head man the puck out of the defensive end.  If he cannot make smart plays then sit him down.  The Bruins need him at the top of his game especially at his young age.  No excuses, play simple "Cherry hockey" if you can't make good outlet passes.  An enigma! 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from 86redsox. Show 86redsox's posts

gretzky was not a defenseman

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from TimThomas-god. Show TimThomas-god's posts

In Response to Wideman Skating:
    [QUOTE]First, I should say that this is not a "bash Wideman" thread.  I think the guy has considerable talent and is just finding his game right now. With that being said, I wanted to bring up a couple of serious flops that Wideman has had.  The first was against Montreal, and led to their only goal of the game.  The second was against the Penguins, and although it didn't lead to a goal, it led to an odd-man rush. Is his confidence suffering that much?  I always remember Wideman being a smooth skater? Is he trying new skates or something?  I can't remember him falling down so blatantly last year... Thoughts?
    Posted by BruinsGM24[/QUOTE]

Everyone is talking about Wideman like he's the next Bobby Orr.  The guy did have a pretty good season last year (+34).  But what NOBODY points out is that the guy had a -31 during the 05-06 season.  This guy is way too inconsistent to be called a top NHL defenseman right now.  Maybe in the future, but not right now.