Yzerman will take T-Bay to cup

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from number08. Show number08's posts

Yzerman will take T-Bay to cup

New T-Bay G.M. is a lifelong winner including building a gold metal Olympic team this year. He will instantly make players accountable. B's will have to claw through these guys to win a cup for the next few years. I hope PC can find some guts in the offseason, short of dressing Cam.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Reilly24. Show Reilly24's posts

Re: Yzerman will take T-Bay to cup

How can you say that a guy with no GM experience is going to take his new team to the promised land ? Gretzky didn't do anything with Phoenix. Just because Yzerman was a winner on the ice, that dosn't make him a winner off the ice.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

Reilly,

Yzerman has won off the ice as well...he was part of the management team in Detroit when they won the last cup, he was the GM of this yrs Gold Medal team and has been part of the World Championship side as well.  Yzerman comes from a team that knows nothing but winning...and he was part of that for 27 yrs. 

Gretzky who is my all time favorite was a coach....2 totally different things...Management is money and watching talent...coaching is making the most of what management has given you.

Yzerman has a team loaded with talent...he has a reputation as well and players will follow that...I know if I were a UFA and saw his name on my phone I would listen...

I agree hat Yzerman should settle that franchise down some and work to bulld a winner around Stamkos/Victor H.  I would dare to venture that he may startby offering Vinny to Montreal in some deal for Price...Markov and Price for Vinny?
    That wold give them 3 potential studs at every position...and Markov on the back end would give them a solid defense core as well which they lack. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from joeschmo25. Show joeschmo25's posts

Tampa Bay is doing a decent job at rebuilding, but I'm not sure Yzerman is the sure set solution. Yes he had success with Detroit and Canada, but I don't think he's too responsible for either.

Detroit's been a solid franchise since they drafted Yzerman. Ken Holland's draft approach is take players and wait until they're ready, no rushing. With that in mind, most of Detroit's roster was set before Yzerman had too much say in the matter.

As for Canada, yes he made the right combination of players and coaches, but with the resources Canada has, can you really say it was brilliance. He knew Babcock was the right coach, having known him through Detroit. As for the players, there wasn't really anybody who was left off the roster that truly deserved to be on it. Notable drops were Jeff Carter and Mike Green, both offensive players but with a big liability, Carter's being his health and Green his defensive talent.

I think Yzerman will do well in Tampa, but I'm not sold on them winning a Cup. They've got two franchise pieces, but without the goaltending they won't become a true winner. 

Shuperman, that's a decent trade proposal for Lecavalier, but I don't know if Montreal will do it. Markov was sorely missed on the Montreal powerplay, enough that their defense becomes considerably weaker without him. As for Price, Pierre Gauthier may see him too valuable to be a piece for Lecavalier. I think he'd be better off trading price for a talented offensive prospect, and it wouldn't surprise me to see Price go to Edmonton for one of their number of decently talented prospects/ young players. 

But that's just my opinion.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from bim09. Show bim09's posts

I'm just guessing here, but if those top 3 defensemen are gone, I could see Tampa Bay trading down for an NHL ready defender and more picks.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Reilly24. Show Reilly24's posts

In Response to Re: Yzerman will take T-Bay to cup:
    Reilly, Yzerman has won off the ice as well...he was part of the management team in Detroit when they won the last cup, he was the GM of this yrs Gold Medal team and has been part of the World Championship side as well.  Yzerman comes from a team that knows nothing but winning...and he was part of that for 27 yrs.  Gretzky who is my all time favorite was a coach....2 totally different things...Management is money and watching talent...coaching is making the most of what management has given you. Yzerman has a team loaded with talent...he has a reputation as well and players will follow that...I know if I were a UFA and saw his name on my phone I would listen... I agree hat Yzerman should settle that franchise down some and work to bulld a winner around Stamkos/Victor H.  I would dare to venture that he may startby offering Vinny to Montreal in some deal for Price...Markov and Price for Vinny? That wold give them 3 potential studs at every position...and Markov on the back end would give them a solid defense core as well which they lack. 
    Posted by shuperman

Shupe, Detroit was Detroit long before Yzerman went into the office. Team Canada won because they are the best hockey nation in the world, not because of Yzerman. He is going to Tampa Bay. No comparison to Detroit or team Canada. Just being a winner does not make you a GM. How many ex players are GM's and how many ex players are winners. If what you say is true than the NHL would have 30 ex players as GM's. I respect  Yzerman and would have loved for him to be a Bruin but I'm not ready to book a parade in Tampa Bay because the guy is buying a house in the area.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

In Response to Re: Yzerman will take T-Bay to cup : Shupe, Detroit was Detroit long before Yzerman went into the office. Team Canada won because they are the best hockey nation in the world, not because of Yzerman. He is going to Tampa Bay. No comparison to Detroit or team Canada. Just being a winner does not make you a GM. How many ex players are GM's and how many ex players are winners. If what you say is true than the NHL would have 30 ex players as GM's. I respect  Yzerman and would have loved for him to be a Bruin but I'm not ready to book a parade in Tampa Bay because the guy is buying a house in the area.
    Posted by Reilly24

Seriously.  I could have run the show for team Canada and they still would have won.  Actually, IMO team Canada were underperformers, they should have killed everybody and they didn't, still good enough to get the gold, but it shouldn't ave been close.

Stevie Y may or may not be a success.  This IS his first GM job.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Reilly24. Show Reilly24's posts

BadHabitude, it's nice to know that there are people on this board with common sense.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

Common Sense?

Its easy to say that anyone could have run team canada...the fact he selected Drew was kinda a surprise for me...and he was our best d-man.  Yzerman will never get credit for the selections he made...along with the coaching staff...but had he lost he would have been handed a S hit sandwich by the Canadian faithful.

Winning rubs off on you...you don't think Stevie Y had any influence on that organization...well it was a luaghing stock before he got there...you don't think him being there as a player made them into winners?  Guess what...that rubs off on management as well...Stevie has seen every aspect of how a bad organization was run...and then how it turned around into a cup contender every year...he then has been upstairs behind the scene watching how it is run...

The fact he goes into a situation where they have a pretty solid base of older star players and super young players is a nice mix. 

It doesnt take a GM long to ruin a franchise...I see Yzerman having a great influence b/c he brings a winning atmosphere into that group...

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from LoveRealHockey. Show LoveRealHockey's posts

I think Stevie Y will become a very good GM.  He has some recent success, but it's different runnning an NHL team with a salary cap versus assembling an all-star team to compete in the Olympics.

I'm sure Stevie Y had some influence on the Red Wings, but it will take time for him to learn the ropes and become an effective GM.  In Tampa there are also issues with the overall Business Model i.e. trying to turn a profit, in so he'll be working under some financial challenges as well.

I think there's a solid core in Tampa and I agree that Stevie Y will help attract talent to come to Tampa and will motivate the players there to work hard.

Time will tell

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Reilly24. Show Reilly24's posts

Hey Stuperman, I'm not saying anything bad about Yzerman but do you think he was the reason Detroit was soo good. Lets see there was Brendan Shanahan, Sergei Fedorov, Brett Hull, Nicklas Lidstrom, Luc Robitaille, Steve Yzerman, Igor Larionov, Chris Chelios, Pavel Datsyuk just to name a few. He may do a great job for T Bay or he may not. You are jumping to conclusions saying that it is a given Tampa will win a cup because of one guy. Even the Leaf fan above here has more common sence than you.(no offence LRH) But then again your probably 9 years old and never saw Yzerman play anyways

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

In Response to Re: Yzerman will take T-Bay to cup : Seriously.  I could have run the show for team Canada and they still would have won.  Actually, IMO team Canada were underperformers, they should have killed everybody and they didn't, still good enough to get the gold, but it shouldn't ave been close. Stevie Y may or may not be a success.  This IS his first GM job.
    Posted by BadHabitude

Just a thought on Yzermans 'Team Canada".  Can't fault hime on his picks, however, the team did not gel at all, in fact, imo, they played poorly.
    Sure, they won(by a whisker), but they weren't the best team.  Throughout the tournament, they never played to their capabilities, and the U.S. played above theirs.  Canada's loss in the preliminaries was a god send, in that it gave them more time to try to find some semblance of "team".
    Canada, in the Olympics reminded me of the Bruins during the regular season.  Underperformers.
    BTW, I'm from Canada, and strongly feel, the U.S. had the best "team".
    Not sure that's Stevie Y's fault, but I don't think his work there, means much going forward.  Do believe though, he'll instill a different culture in TB, and feel that's one of their biggest problems.  Hard to believe, man for man, this team manages to be one of the leagues worst.  Going in, Yzerman certainly has some skilled players in which to work with.
    Don't think he'll win a cup real soon, but he's going into a dream situation.  He doesn't need to reinvent the wheel to achieve great improvement.  He's got great tools in place.  Either get his underperforming stars to consistently show up, or move them for those who will.  Most GM's on bottom feeder teams have less to work with. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from MeanE. Show MeanE's posts

Reilly 24 couldn't agree with you more.  Bob Gainey? "Le Capitaine" 5 Cups as a player, how many as GM?  Phil Esposito 2 cups as a player, how many as GM?  A HOF player does not guaruntee a HOF GM.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from No4BobbyOrr-GOAT. Show No4BobbyOrr-GOAT's posts

Serge Savard Mon  8 as player 2 as GM
    Milt Schmidt   Bos  2               2
    Keith Allen      Det  1               2 Phi
    Sather missed it by a year twice in Boston in 69 and Montreal in 75

There could be more all I can think of, more coaches have don it.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

Reilly,

Attention to detail isnt your thing is it.  I have been on here since 2005 making me 4 yrs old. 

And of that list of players how many were there when Stevie started...zero...he was there in the winning and losing times...how can you even question his ability as a player...he is a natural born leader...its very well known in hockey...
    He won as aplayer on great teams...every team that wins has great leaders and great teams...without SY they don`t win those cups...he was vital in all of them and some while playing injured to the point that he couldnt walk...

for the record I am 38...have no problem debating any issue with hockey...if you wanna lay on personal shots go ahead...anyone can call people out over a computer so I will leave that to you...

Just for the record TBay already has a winning cultired locker room...they have the guns and with SY in charge I think he will get them another...plus his influence in hockey will attract players to go there....another factor you are forgetting

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from MeanE. Show MeanE's posts

Bobby Clarke PHI 2 as a player and 0 in 22 years as a GM.  I am not saying that all of these guys were bad GM's, only mention them because there is more to being a GM then being a HOF player.  A lot depends on who you surround yourself with, scouts, coaches, assistants, training staffs, etc..., and what kind of ownership group you work for.  Stevie Y could turn out to be a great GM in this league, but I do not believe he has instant credibility as a GM because he was a great leader when he played.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from joeschmo25. Show joeschmo25's posts

People think that each signing of a GM or coach means the Stanley Cup is within their grasp. The issue with that is that each year 29 teams go home empty handed. While I know that the Cup is the overall goal, each team has their own goals when they make a hire. Steve Yzerman will most likely bring Tampa Bay to at least a playoff team, given the players they have now and their draft status. Yzerman does know what it takes to win, both as a player and as an executive. That will help him in designing a team, but the people he hires have to be what he thinks they can be in order for the team to have success. GMs' take calculated risks when they sign players, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Michael Ryder looked like a good signing for us after the 08-09 season, but not this season. Glen Sather took a risk when he signed Marian Gaborik, but it paid off extremely well this season. Sather's signings of Wade Redden and Michael Rozival, however, have damaged the franchise in terms of roster space and cap space.

Yzerman hopefully (after the Bruins I'm a Tampa fan, mostly because of Stamkos and St. Louis) knows which players to give a big extension to, and which players to sign short term or let go. If he knows who to sign, Tampa will be fine. If he doesn't, then Tampa will be picking in the top 14 a few more times before they make the playoffs.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

My point is that Yzerman brings and commands respect....you see what bad management can do in Tampa...watch what someone who has the players respect can do...I know playing the game doesnt make you a great GM...but Yzerman was part of a losing team and part of one of the best teams over the last 15 yrs...he was also a part of management in Detroit to witness the every day operations...

TBay already has some guys that have won a cup, he has a bounty of the best prospects in the game, he has prospects..

As a UFA would you look at Tampa with the mess it was in the last few yrs...Yzerman will give the team respect and leadership...and if I were a UFA I would be thrilled if one of the best leaders in the sport called me...

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from MeanE. Show MeanE's posts

Call me crazy, but if I were a UFA I would be thrilled if Don Waddell called me, as long as he "Showed me the money".  Too many fans want to bring "feelings" into what is a business.  Most agents and players want to receive the most money possible.  How you feel about a GM is usually not number one on your list.  After money, I would imagine that a coach and teammates might matter more to UFA's then the GM.  If, and that is a big if, all other factors were equal and I had to choose between a chump like Waddell and Yzerman, then yeah, I'm going to Tampa, but I believe you are putting way to much stock into the impact he will have on UFA's.  I will say this, he has an awful lot of room under the cap to play with, as long as ownership allows him to spend.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

Mean,

to an extent I agree...but Yzerman isnt a avg player...its like Messier calling you...most of the young players grew up wanting to be like these guys and are compared to them...it has an impact to play in a quality organization...thats why Detroit always manages to keep their core players...and sign guys like Hossa, Hull etc etc...

Its not a guarantee they will win a cup...and yes it is a business...but this isnt basketball...where players have no loyalties and chase the dollar...a lot of players do stick with teams b/c of management...

Anyway...I guess time will tell...

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

The Bruins will have to contend with Tampa the next few years because of Yzerman ? Hmm OK ahh no Steve had no cap to contend with for the Olympics and any notion that Yzerman had anything to with helping Holland with player movement or decisions for the last cup is comical!

Lecavalier can/will never be moved and his production continues to go down. Steve has his hands full and Steve Smith is his goaltender who ? What to do with St. Louis ? He'll be a good trade partner for Chicago but it will not make him an instant winner he's got a ways to go. Yzerman will succeed but it will take some time about 3 years.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from number08. Show number08's posts

Point is: anyone can assemble a group of good/great players, but there has to be drive and determination which starts at the top. Yzerman already has the reputation of doing whatever it takes, including playing on one leg...so I guess he has a 'leg up' on some of the other GMs in the league.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from NumbaFouwer. Show NumbaFouwer's posts

I see Pittsburgh, Boston, and yes, the Capitals, as being the powers in the East for the next 5 years or so. TB still in rebuild mode .... Stevie Y is gonna have to wait a while.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichmondHillOntario. Show RichmondHillOntario's posts

I see Pittsburgh, Boston, and yes, the Capitals, as being the powers in the East for the next 5 years or so. TB still in rebuild mode .... Stevie Y is gonna have to wait a while.
    Posted by NumbaFouwer

Spot on!  I like and admire Yzerman as someone who seems to be a classy individual and one who, as I recall, did not and still doesn't spew cliched, worn-out responses to questions but instead provides well-thought answers.  Let's not declare him "the next best thing" just yet. 

He had the luxury of observing one of the best GMs around in Ken Holland whose teams seem to be perpetual contenders.  Now, he's on his own as the head guy with the Lightning, a club that has some good, young talent in Stamkos and Hedman.  (Don't they have a lot of money tied up in Lecavalier, St. Louis, Ohland, Malone?)

The 2009/ 2010 Hockey News Yearbook rated their future team grade a "C" with the comment, "A decade of first-pick flops is over with early selections of Stamkos and Hedman.  But the Lightning needs to hit jackpots in late rounds as well."  Clearly, he has some work to do.  Let's see if he's as clever with his off-ice moves as he was with his on-ice ones. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Reilly24. Show Reilly24's posts

Reilly, Attention to detail isnt your thing is it.  I have been on here since 2005 making me 4 yrs old.  And of that list of players how many were there when Stevie started...zero...he was there in the winning and losing times...how can you even question his ability as a player...he is a natural born leader...its very well known in hockey... He won as aplayer on great teams...every team that wins has great leaders and great teams...without SY they don`t win those cups...he was vital in all of them and some while playing injured to the point that he couldnt walk... for the record I am 38...have no problem debating any issue with hockey...if you wanna lay on personal shots go ahead...anyone can call people out over a computer so I will leave that to you... Just for the record TBay already has a winning cultired locker room...they have the guns and with SY in charge I think he will get them another...plus his influence in hockey will attract players to go there....another factor you are forgetting
    Posted by shuperman

That's right, I forgot that Yzerman was a player /GM in those days and brought all them guys on board all by himself. What I was saying since your soo much better at details than I am is that Yzerman didn't win the cups by himself. He was a very important part of a very talented bunch of guys. He couldn't have won those cups without the support he had. Detroit's GM was the guy who assembled the teams and for Yzermans sake, hopefully he picked up some good habits there. And for all the posters naming former players who have won. Well yes it has happened but if it was a guarantee than all 30 teams would have a former star as a GM.