"Prospects" and FA status

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

"Prospects" and FA status

We've got the draft thread, plenty of who to keep among the Bruins's FAs threads, but nothing on the relatively insignificant subject of "prospects" in Providence who are without deals come July 1.  With these guys, the questions are pretty simple - are they still prospects who need more time? are they good AHL guys who are worth keeping around as solid teammates for new blood as it arrives? or are they turkeys?

Interesting at his juncture because this is the five year mark for players from the 2007 draft.  Five years is signficant because once a player is drafted, the team has two years of exclusive neg. rights before the player either goes back in teh draft or becomes a FA.  EL contracts are three year deals typically (I think by negotiated rule).  So a guy drafted in 2007, signed to a pro deal that begins in 2009, would be a free agent for the first time this year. You can almost hear Bowie off of Ziggy Stardust singing "Five years...we've got five years...."

So that means Hamill.  First part of last year, I'd have said re-sign him if he'll take a two way deal and a reasonable NHL salary - $850K maybe.  He started strong in Providence, wasn't a liability in Boston.  Then he pancaked. Then he went back to the AHL and disappeared until he was injured.  He may not be done, but I don't see any scenario where he plays for the Boston Bruins again.

It also means Arniel.  Bad timing by Arniel to crash after a decent year, and with Cunningham and Carter passing him as offensive producers, Spooner and Knight likely to arrive, there aren't many opportunities for him to play an offensive role.  Gone.

Bodnarchuk - AHL guy who can fill in in the NHL - re-sign him if he's willing, let him walk if someone else feels he deserves a better NHL shot.

Chaput - AHL guy.  As Charlie Brown used to call Snoopy, he's "ol' dime a dozen."

Courchaine - never really a prospect, and barely an AHL guy.  An Ottawa player during Chiarelli's Senator years who caught a hook.  Charitable hour is over.

McKelvie - again, maybe charitable hour is over?  Couldn't stick in the A.  No idea if he was making progress finding his game after his tour of duty, but it didn't seem like it when you'd see him on the scratched list or sent to the ECHL.

Hennessey - dime a dozen AHL veteran.  Wouldn't be a crime to keep him for stability in Providence.

and finally - the 10 goal Master of Disaster, Lane MacDermid.  Probably gets a new deal.  I mean, he's going to take Thornton's job, right?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

Re: "Prospects" and FA status

Interesting.  I would have to agree with the thought that Hamill, Arniel, and McKelvie are done.  Playing time on the top 6 or 9 forward spots in Providence is going to be competitive, as it should be.  In the coming years you have Spooner and Knight coming. and maybe Koko relatively soon.  The Bruins have got to get better looks at NCAA guys they've invested in like Florek, Glendening, and even Sexton, Trembley, and Fallstrom to a lesser extent.  While Sauve, Camper, Cunningham, McDermid, and Hennessy stay in the mix for another year at least.  Not much room at all.

It's the same thing on the blueline with Krug, Cross, and Trotman coming in when Bodnarchuk, Warsofsky, Miller, Cohen, Bartkowski, etc. remain.  And Hamilton possibly to Boston.  Somebody has to be out of the mix.  I like it.  You need to develop pretty fast here.  Love the McKelvie story, but its over.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TomOBrien. Show TomOBrien's posts

I think the B's will give McKelvie one more look for the reason that he was out of it for so long...a season under his belt now and one more training camp...maybe this will jump-start him...if he doesn't show anything or enough, demote to the ECHL or release him.
    The time has come and gone for the others...Hamill may have a career in the NHL, just not in Boston.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Great list, Book.

Many of the guys will probably return simply for attendance purposes.  AHL fans like to see players they know stick around.  I don't think anyone wants Hamill to stick around.  He's a glowing black mark on Chiarelli and Co and the sooner he's gone, the sooner they can stop being reminded that Logan Couture was available also.

Hennessey will most likely return so the team can boast it's local roots.  Again, AHL teams like area guys for attendance.

The rest of them are just coin flips.  Good locker room guys will come back. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from boborielly224. Show boborielly224's posts

I agree with the postings, even you NAS LOL i did not catch much progress in the Prov recently.

Enter next year and players already mention Koko Hamilton Knight Spooner will be prov. players and maybe a Bruin eventually.

Macdermid will be first in line for wearing spoke B's when needed.
      Krug and Hamilton are the d men making noise at the monent for d prospects.

This years 1st rd pick could be goalie malcolm subban maybe fletch or book can tell what does the goalie prospects look like in Prov.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

Good thoughts on possibilities. Am I wrong, or is KoKo not yet 18? which would keep him in Juniors for at least another year. Hutchinson had numbers that were equal to Khudobin, and he's only 21/22. Also, the Bruins have another , younger goalie in the Midwest, name starts with a "G". Plus the rumour mill had a Finnish goalie, age 34, posibly coming to the USA. If Horton returns, hope so, the top six are solid. Still think Chiarelli wants bigger 4th line guys, so the earlier thoughts on Gaustad might be viable. Have no idea why Thornton has a "new" contract. Quite possibly another of Claude's stubborn positions.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

In Response to Re: "Prospects" and FA status:
    [QUOTE]Great list, Book. Many of the guys will probably return simply for attendance purposes.  AHL fans like to see players they know stick around.  I don't think anyone wants Hamill to stick around.  He's a glowing black mark on Chiarelli and Co and the sooner he's gone, the sooner they can stop being reminded that Logan Couture was available also. Hennessey will most likely return so the team can boast it's local roots.  Again, AHL teams like area guys for attendance. The rest of them are just coin flips.  Good locker room guys will come back. 
    Posted by Not-A-Shot[/QUOTE]

I wonder about this.  I liked to go to Providence, cheap tickets, easy parking, cheaper food in the rink, a fighting chance to get into a decent restaurant, but this year there wasn't anything happening on the ice I was interested in. This coming year I am certainly going to see Krug.  And somebody like a Riendeau sweetens the pot even more, someone who is interesting to check out.  Ferlin would be that type of guy, but it doesn't seem like he'll drop out of school.

OK, I am not an AHL fan or at least not that good a one so my taste might not be what a Providence season ticket holder is interested in and they're the ones paying the bills.

I want to see talent down there and where they're from only adds a bit of human interest.  And for human interest if they had a player who grew up in Cuba play for them, that would be more of a draw for me than someone who grew up in Providence.

And I wonder how much a consideration the organization gives to filling up the Dunk?  Do the Jacobs own the concessions and the team there as well?  Certainly Boston is concerned about the prospects, but I am not sure who eats or doesn't if Providence makes a profit or not.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Oh I get it now: bogie is short for "bogart" as in "I'm going to bogart another thread to talk about my favorite subjects."  Sorry, bogie - as I said at the outset, considerations in Boston are on other threads.

Khokhlachev must be at least 18 by now - you aren't eligible to be drafted until you're at least turning 18 the year of the draft.

Khudobin aside, the only goalie prospect is Hutchinson.  Again, other threads (draft), but Gothberg and Volden are a loooooong way away from pro deals and that just leaves Courchaine, who is so not a prospect he's on loan to Alaska.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

[QUOTE]Oh I get it now: bogie is short for "bogart" as in "I'm going to bogart another thread to talk about my favorite subjects."  Sorry, bogie - as I said at the outset, considerations in Boston are on other threads. Khokhlachev must be at least 18 by now - you aren't eligible to be drafted until you're at least turning 18 the year of the draft. Khudobin aside, the only goalie prospect is Hutchinson.  Again, other threads (draft), but Gothberg and Volden are a loooooong way away from pro deals and that just leaves Courchaine, who is so not a prospect he's on loan to Alaska.
    Posted by Bookboy007[/QUOTE]

Trust me, Gothberg is a loooooong way away.  Volden is an embarassment.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from patriotpat99. Show patriotpat99's posts

[QUOTE]I agree with the postings, even you NAS LOL i did not catch much progress in the Prov recently. Enter next year and players already mention Koko Hamilton Knight Spooner will be prov. players and maybe a Bruin eventually.   Macdermid will be first in line for wearing spoke B's when needed.   Krug and Hamilton are the d men making noise at the monent for d prospects. This years 1st rd pick could be goalie malcolm subban maybe fletch or book can tell what does the goalie prospects look like in Prov.
    Posted by boborielly224[/QUOTE]

i'll give you 10,000 to 1 odds that the bruins don't draft a goalie in the first round.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

Lars Volden, very hard to find youtube clips of him.  It took some work to find these clips.  LOTS of bad goals happen in this league.

Volden now plays for the Blues, 'B' is the crest of the jersey.  The other goalie Koivisto seems to get most all of the starts.  Volden wears #34 and has a green mask.

Interesting league, one guy on each team wears a gold helmet.

The cheerleaders are... interesting.

This infamous clip is when Volden played for the Oilers

Here he is playing for the Blues (Blues are in white)

Blues in dark
    note the goal at the 1.35 mark.  Defenseman shoots the puck wide, puck goes off the boards and bounces off Volden and in the net.
    The penalty shot at the end is funny, the puck goes under Volden and in the net.  But Volden thinks the puck is trapped underneath him, he's entirely inside his net and tries to scoot out of the net thinking he's taking the puck with him.

Opposing goalie allows a flip shot from center ice.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: "Prospects" and FA status : I wonder about this.  I like d to go to Providence, cheap tickets, easy parking, cheaper food in the rink, a fighting chance to get into a decent restaurant, but this year there wasn't anything happening on the ice I was interested in. This coming year I am certainly going to see Krug.  And somebody like a Riendeau sweetens the pot even more, someone who is interesting to check out.  Ferlin would be that type of guy, but it doesn't seem like he'll drop out of school. OK, I am not an AHL fan or at least not that good a one so my taste might not be what a Providence season ticket holder is interested in and they're the ones paying the bills. I want to see talent down there and where they're from only adds a bit of human interest.  And for human interest if they had a player who grew up in Cuba play for them, that would be more of a draw for me than someone who grew up in Providence. And I wonder how much a consideration the organization gives to filling up the Dunk?  Do the Jacobs own the concessions and the team there as well?  Certainly Boston is concerned about the prospects, but I am not sure who eats or doesn't if Providence makes a profit or not.
    Posted by BadHabitude[/QUOTE]

Fans identifying with the team is very important.  A buddy of mine lives in Portand, Maine.  He was a huge Pirates fan when they were with the Caps.  When they changed all the players because they moved to the Ducks, he still stuck with them because he was still a Pirates fan.  Then they changed to Buffalo a few years later.  All new players again.  He said forget it.  And now Buffalo is gone and a whole new set of players is there.  He went from being a season ticket holder to buying them when Providence came to town.

Of course teams are interested in turning a profit in the AHL.  It's a business. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: "Prospects" and FA status : Fans identifying with the team is very important.  A buddy of mine lives in Portand, Maine.  He was a huge Pirates fan when they were with the Caps.  When they changed all the players because they moved to the Ducks, he still stuck with them because he was still a Pirates fan.  Then they changed to Buffalo a few years later.  All new players again.  He said forget it.  And now Buffalo is gone and a whole new set of players is there.  He went from being a season ticket holder to buying them when Providence came to town. Of course teams are interested in turning a profit in the AHL.  It's a business. 

Agreed, every AHL team has it's few high draft picks then the rest is pretty much filled in with players of a local flavor.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Orrthebest. Show Orrthebest's posts

[QUOTE]Oh I get it now: bogie is short for "bogart" as in "I'm going to bogart another thread to talk about my favorite subjects."  Sorry, bogie - as I said at the outset, considerations in Boston are on other threads. Khokhlachev must be at least 18 by now - you aren't eligible to be drafted until you're at least turning 18 the year of the draft. Khudobin aside, the only goalie prospect is Hutchinson.  Again, other threads (draft), but Gothberg and Volden are a loooooong way away from pro deals and that just leaves Courchaine, who is so not a prospect he's on loan to Alaska.
    Posted by Bookboy007[/QUOTE]

Your forgetting Adam Morrison who was the starting goalie for the Vancouver Giants this year and was signed as a free agent.  http://www.vancouvergiants.com/roster/show/id/436

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from beesfan09. Show beesfan09's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: "Prospects" and FA status : I wonder about this.  I like d to go to Providence, cheap tickets, easy parking, cheaper food in the rink, a fighting chance to get into a decent restaurant, but this year there wasn't anything happening on the ice I was interested in. This coming year I am certainly going to see Krug.  And somebody like a Riendeau sweetens the pot even more, someone who is interesting to check out.  Ferlin would be that type of guy, but it doesn't seem like he'll drop out of school. OK, I am not an AHL fan or at least not that good a one so my taste might not be what a Providence season ticket holder is interested in and they're the ones paying the bills. I want to see talent down there and where they're from only adds a bit of human interest.  And for human interest if they had a player who grew up in Cuba play for them, that would be more of a draw for me than someone who grew up in Providence. And I wonder how much a consideration the organization gives to filling up the Dunk?  Do the Jacobs own the concessions and the team there as well?  Certainly Boston is concerned about the prospects, but I am not sure who eats or doesn't if Providence makes a profit or not.

Hasn't Riendeau been traded to the Islanders?
    I don't think Arniel is done with the Bruins. This past year obviously wasn't great for him but I think last year is more of an indication of what he can do. The second half of this past season Arniel was playing quite well actually. He didn't score that much but actually was 8 for 10 on shootout goals. The ones I saw were really nice snap shots up under the bar. The kid is too good of a skater and too smart not to be a key player in Providence or get a shot in Boston. If they don't sign him I can see him end up playing somewhere else ala Nate Thompson/Matt Hendricks. Maybe it is time to go if he wants an NHL shot. As far as new prospects everyone seems to be overhyping (is that a word?) some of the new junior recruits. Besides Hamilton, they all need time in the AHL.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

[QUOTE]Lars Volden, very hard to find youtube clips of him.  It took some work to find these clips.  LOTS of bad goals happen in this league. Volden now plays for the Blues, 'B' is the crest of the jersey.  The other goalie Koivisto seems to get most all of the starts.  Volden wears #34 and has a green mask. Interesting league, one guy on each team wears a gold helmet. The cheerleaders are... interesting. This infamous clip is when Volden played for the Oilers http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVwujvzCpCA Here he is playing for the Blues (Blues are in white) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O5RpYp8boQw  (loss) h ttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87RsSKRz-No  (loss) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_eAXpu5WeFg  (loss) Blues in dark http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=svdfc1hl-Ac  (loss) note the goal at the 1.35 mark.  Defenseman shoots the puck wide, puck goes off the boards and bounces off Volden and in the net. The penalty shot at the end is funny, the puck goes under Volden and in the net.  But Volden thinks the puck is trapped underneath him, he's entirely inside his net and tries to scoot out of the net thinking he's taking the puck with him. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tx278LQwUhw  (win!) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mgMoBBCKn1U  (loss) Opposing goalie allows a flip shot from center ice.

In addition to bad stats, I think the youtube clips show that this guy would have a rough time in the ncaa or juniors.  The league has a smattering of guys who were washouts from the ahl\nhl and they are rare.  Then there are a lot of guys who look like they retire from the Swedish Elite League and go there.  Then they must have a limit on foreign player because each team only looks like it has a few.

More perspective, Bruins fans might be familiar with these 2 guys who are stars in this league, leading scoring on their teams.
    Peter Tenkrat (33 last year) led his team in scoring last year.
    Ivan Huml  (30 this year) led his team in scoring this year.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

I hope the marketing people in Providence are worrying about selling tickets. fan favorites, and keeping AHL fans satisfied.  I hope the GM's office in Boston is not.

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

Isn't it fun to have BB so erudite and positive  while the rest of us just speculate. I thought the bruins signed KoKo while he was 17, and wondered when he turned 18, because it does give him a few more years in Juniors to grow and develop. I am just as curious about the number of defensemen that have been developing in Providence. One recent post indicated that Bartkowski had injuries for most of the year. The deal for Warsofsky was based on how well he played for B.U.; but, no real comments on how he has progressed in Providence, except for their second half improvements as a team. Always liked Arneil's speed and prior year's scoring. Beesfan indicates that he was playing well, just not scoring as much as the prior year. Claude would have to change to three offensive lines, as he did before, so let's wait and see.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

[QUOTE]Isn't it fun to have BB so erudite and positive  while the rest of us just speculate. I thought the bruins signed KoKo while he was 17, and wondered when he turned 18, because it does give him a few more years in Juniors to grow and develop. I am just as curious about the number of defensemen that have been developing in Providence. One recent post indicated that Bartkowski had injuries for most of the year. The deal for Warsofsky was based on how well he played for B.U.; but, no real comments on how he has progressed in Providence, except for their second half improvements as a team. Always liked Arneil's speed and prior year's scoring. Beesfan indicates that he was playing well, just not scoring as much as the prior year. Claude would have to change to three offensive lines, as he did before, so let's wait and see.
    Posted by bogie6[/QUOTE]

You don't have to be a university professor to know that the draft is ineligible to 17 year olds.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: "Prospects" and FA status : You don't have to be a university professor to know that the draft is ineligible to 17 year olds.
    Posted by Chowdahkid-[/QUOTE]

Professor, if a player will be 18 on September 15th, he can be drafted when he's 17.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: "Prospects" and FA status : Professor, if a player will be 18 on September 15th, he can be drafted when he's 17.

I know that Koko turned 18 while at camp last summer.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: "Prospects" and FA status : Professor, if a player will be 18 on September 15th, he can be drafted when he's 17.

This year is the draft of the '94's. Let's figure this out .

Let me see....... 2012  
                            ____

...........borrow from the one....from the zero, nope....
    from the two yep .......got it

Hey you're right ! My apologies to you and bogie. I'm new to this draft shmaft thing and it's rules for eligibilty. I don't get to follow draft eligible players that much so I wouldn't know who's eligible and who's not.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

The draft in 2011 was in June.

If a player was born in September of 1993, how old would he have been on draft day?

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=130571

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

[QUOTE]The draft in 2011 was in June. If a player was born in September of 1993, how old would he have been on draft day? http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=130571

Are you trying to start and argument over something I already know but didn't add to my post ? The cutoff date is common knowledge.

Like you told Fletch. This might not turn out so good for you and your comments are getting more stupid as you go on. 

The draft is open to 18 year olds with the cutoff born that year . Is there anything else you'd like to knitpik about ?