I Guess We All Knew He Wouldn't Just Give Up..............

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

I Guess We All Knew He Wouldn't Just Give Up..............

Tim Thomas feels like he's still got a real shot at making the U.S. squad for the Olympics. As unlikely as that seemed a month ago, it seems like he does indeed, still have a real chance. I really hope he makes it. I'm a Canadian so that would mean the U.S. goaltending isn't as strong as people thought it would be. BTW, Rask is the best in the league now.

http://www.cbssports.com/nhl/eye-on-hockey/24249115/tim-thomas-absolutely-hoping-to-make-us-olympic-team

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

Re: I Guess We All Knew He Wouldn't Just Give Up..............

A month ago, I would have said no way. Now with Quick hurt, and it being the dreaded groin along with Thomas' play of late, who knows. If he does make the team, and gets a chance, nothing he does would suprise me.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In response to kelvana33's comment:

A month ago, I would have said no way. Now with Quick hurt, and it being the dreaded groin along with Thomas' play of late, who knows. If he does make the team, and gets a chance, nothing he does would suprise me.

Me neither Kel. I'm angry with the way he left Boston but other than that, I know he's capable of playing well enough to win a short tourney like the Olympic format.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Thomas hasn't moved ahead of Schneider, Bishop, Howard nor even Miller in my view. I also fully expect Quick too be ready by February. I think it is great that Thomas has showed GMs that he will be worth another contract next year but that is where it ends.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In response to DeadAhead's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to dezaruchi's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Tim Thomas feels like he's still got a real shot at making the U.S. squad for the Olympics. As unlikely as that seemed a month ago, it seems like he does indeed, still have a real chance. I really hope he makes it. I'm a Canadian so that would mean the U.S. goaltending isn't as strong as people thought it would be. BTW, Rask is the best in the league now.

http://www.cbssports.com/nhl/eye-on-hockey/24249115/tim-thomas-absolutely-hoping-to-make-us-olympic-team

[/QUOTE]

Nice to see a fellow Dead fan on the boards. For the record, I didn't lift your avatar like I am being accused of. I own a homemade t-shirt with your logo, one for the Sox and a long sleeved navy blue one for the Pats, which is the logo I have.

NAS and some others have been claiming I was copying you and I wasn't.  These steal your face logo sports logos are all over the web and have been for years. 

I was recently banned again for no reason and went back to a Dead based or music based board name.

You should head over to the music forum. A few Dead fans are over there.  

Not to hijack your thread, but any favorite albums, eras or shows? I am not old enough to have been on the forefront, middle or even end of it all, but I've been impressed with the spawn bands that still tour and even Dark Star that does a great, great job as a cover band.

Anyway, Thomas's ego got out of control and it started when the team didn't back him for his desire to not attend the WHite House visit.  It happens, but he's done.

What's funny is, I remember getting into a debate with a Sabres fan for the last Olympics saying Thomas should be the guy over Ryan MIller.  I was right. Miller let in the awful goal from a poor angle to Crosby and I think Thomas would have been a much better choice since he was ascending as the best goalie at the time. Awful decision to go with Miller over Thomas then, which was proven by Thomas in the 2011 Cup run.

But, now? No way. He's making a fool of himself. Would not be shocked if Florida releases him before the year ends.

[/QUOTE]

I personally like the 70's stuff the most. I also know that the Steal Your Face is on just about everything. I saw 5 Dead shows. They were all as much fun as a person should have at any given time. 3 in the Garden and both summer shows in Highgate, Vermont. Regarding Thomas, I doubt he makes it but I'm pulling for him.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

In response to SanDogBrewin's comment:

Thomas hasn't moved ahead of Schneider, Bishop, Howard nor even Miller in my view. I also fully expect Quick too be ready by February. I think it is great that Thomas has showed GMs that he will be worth another contract next year but that is where it ends.

Your view doesn't matter though. I think he makes it. He's  matching Miller save for save right now. And he's got better all around stats then Miller at this point. NAS can attest better than anyone a .914 sp in FLA is as good as .940 in Boston. Right now only Bishop & Scheinder has better #'s than Thomas as far as US goalie's go. So,as long as he continues his strong play there's no way David Poille & co keeps Thomas' off that team. Not with his resume! 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

In response to DeadAhead's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to dezaruchi's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Nice to see a fellow Dead fan on the boards. For the record, I didn't lift your avatar like I am being accused of. I own a homemade t-shirt with your logo, one for the Sox and a long sleeved navy blue one for the Pats, which is the logo I have.

NAS and some others have been claiming I was copying you and I wasn't.  These steal your face logo sports logos are all over the web and have been for years. 

I was recently banned again for no reason and went back to a Dead based or music based board name.

You should head over to the music forum. A few Dead fans are over there.  

Not to hijack your thread, but any favorite albums, eras or shows? I am not old enough to have been on the forefront, middle or even end of it all, but I've been impressed with the spawn bands that still tour and even Dark Star that does a great, great job as a cover band.

Anyway, Thomas's ego got out of control and it started when the team didn't back him for his desire to not attend the WHite House visit.  It happens, but he's done.

What's funny is, I remember getting into a debate with a Sabres fan for the last Olympics saying Thomas should be the guy over Ryan MIller.  I was right. Miller let in the awful goal from a poor angle to Crosby and I think Thomas would have been a much better choice since he was ascending as the best goalie at the time. Awful decision to go with Miller over Thomas then, which was proven by Thomas in the 2011 Cup run.

But, now? No way. He's making a fool of himself. Would not be shocked if Florida releases him before the year ends.

[/QUOTE]

Unreal. Becuase of the Crosby goal Miller was the wrong choice? Are you kidding me? Ryan Miller was the best player in that tournament, bar none. Thomas was not at his 2011 level at the time, and U.S.A wasnt even expected to medal.  Nobody, nobody suggested Thomas should start over Miller at the time. You are unreal.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Rusty,

How many Panthers games have you seen this year?

(Florida Panthers, not your hometown Carolina Panthers.)

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Rusty,

How many Panthers games have you seen this year?

(Florida Panthers, not your hometown Carolina Panthers.)

[/QUOTE]

He hasnt seen any other than the times they played the Bruins. Didnt stop him from commenting though, because when he says Thomas is making a fool of himself and how he wouldnt be suprised if Florida released hi before the year ends, you just realize he again, has no idea what he is talking about.  Last 5 games, .937 save pct...Yeah, we suck so instead of trading him for value, lets just release him.....Great job Rusty!!!!!!!!!!!!!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

Unreal. Becuase of the Crosby goal Miller was the wrong choice? Are you kidding me? Ryan Miller was the best player in that tournament, bar none. Thomas was not at his 2011 level at the time, and U.S.A wasnt even expected to medal.  Nobody, nobody suggested Thomas should start over Miller at the time. You are unreal.

[/QUOTE]

In 2010 Thomas lost his starting job. And Miller won the Vezina in that season. Kel you're so right about Miller in that tourney. Miller played lights out & getting the MVP of those Olympics shows that. He was never better than he was at those games. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to kelvana33's comment:
    [QUOTE]

He hasnt seen any other than the times they played the Bruins. Didnt stop him from commenting though, because when he says Thomas is making a fool of himself and how he wouldnt be suprised if Florida released hi before the year ends, you just realize he again, has no idea what he is talking about.  Last 5 games, .937 save pct...Yeah, we suck so instead of trading him for value, lets just release him.....Great job Rusty!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[/QUOTE]

In order to see the Panthers, he'd have to see either a national broadcast or them playing his Carolina Hurricanes, and Thomas hasn't played against Carolina this season.

Yeah, the numbers Thomas has right now aren't that great, but when you look at the defense in front of him (all hail Tom Gilbert) and actually watch him play, you can see that he's doing a great job this year.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In response to NeelyOrrBourque's comment:[QUOTE]

Thomas hasn't moved ahead of Schneider, Bishop, Howard nor even Miller in my view. I also fully expect Quick too be ready by February. I think it is great that Thomas has showed GMs that he will be worth another contract next year but that is where it ends.[/QUOTE]

Your view doesn't matter though. I think he makes it. He's  matching Miller save for save right now. And he's got better all around stats then Miller at this point. NAS can attest better than anyone a .914 sp in FLA is as good as .940 in Boston. Right now only Bishop & Scheinder has better #'s than Thomas as far as US goalie's go. So,as long as he continues his strong play there's no way David Poille & co keeps Thomas' off that team. Not with his resume! [/QUOTE]

It's not about this year, it's about the last 3 years and that includes taking a year off.

I'd be willing to bet Thomas doesn't make the US team.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]

It's not about this year, it's about the last 3 years and that includes taking a year off.

I'd be willing to bet Thomas doesn't make the US team.

[/QUOTE]

It's not about the last three years.  This isn't a stats contest.  It is about ability and consistency.  A younger goalie could implode on the worldwide stage.  Thomas won't.  He's playing very well this year, making the acrobatic, crazy saves we saw for many years.  Most of you don't see any of it because, honestly, why would you ever want to watch such a rotten team anyway.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Miller never played on the big stage before 2010. And I watch the Panthers because of Tim Thomas. He's played his way into an NHL contract the next two years if he wants. TT has not outplayed Schneider, Bishop, Howard nor even Miller from the games i've watched.

Edit: Miller is facing 36 shots a game. So the horrible defense theory in Florida is out the window.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from OrrandPapiRGods. Show OrrandPapiRGods's posts

Thomas feeds off of doubt. When he reached the pinnacle and there was no more doubt about his ability he lost his drive. I think he has it back and I for one am not underestimating what he could achieve. I hope he makes the US team and plays lights out, except against CANADA!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]

Miller never played on the big stage before 2010. And I watch the Panthers because of Tim Thomas. He's played his way into an NHL contract the next two years if he wants. TT has not outplayed Schneider, Bishop, Howard nor even Miller from the games i've watched.

Edit: Miller is facing 36 shots a game. So the horrible defense theory in Florida is out the window.

[/QUOTE]

You watch Florida games?  LOL  Can you believe how bad they are?  By harassing Red for talking about the Jets, I removed my option of chatting about the Panthers here on a regular basis, but man, they're so bad.

Miller was in his seventh NHL season in 2010.  I wouldn't really think of him as a "younger" goalie at that point.  Bishop is a backup goalie who is playing great this year.  Maybe he as the ability to be a great starter, but that's not known.  I doubt the guys will feel comfortable trusting him with the biggest games in the world.  Jimmy Howard (Maine!) has never been a standout goalie to me.  He's been on good teams, but when it comes to being awesome, I leave him off the list.  Schneider should get a chance.

As for the shots against or whatever, that's stats.  When choosing for the Olympic team, I'm sure the guys use actual play as the basis.  I haven't watched much Buffalo this year (why would anyone want to do that?), but I have watched plenty of Thomas on TV and moreso in person.  Lately, he's really getting back into his groove.  If he continues to play at his current level, I'm confident that he'll get at least a back up role.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Good point on Miller. Schneider I would trust, Bishop not yet, and Howard has been a disapointment for me this year. If Quick can't go, and he still has time, I'd want Miller in there assuming Thomas doesnt get picked...

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Yes it will be up to Poille's scouts and coaches. Thomas is watching on TV.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

Miller, Howard,Bishop,Schneider...Wasn't very long ago Team USA was trotting out the likes of John Grahame and Robert Esche.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

I'd love to see what Thomas could do in the Olympics.  If he can stay healthy and have good Dec, I think his history will be impossible to overlook.  He's playing really well current, which already blows his naysayers out of the water.  If I'm the U.S GM, I've already seen enough. Unless I see some regression...he's in there.  

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In response to kelvana33's comment:[QUOTE] Miller never played on the big stage before 2010. And I watch the Panthers because of Tim Thomas. He's played his way into an NHL contract the next two years if he wants. TT has not outplayed Schneider, Bishop, Howard nor even Miller from the games i've watched.

Edit: Miller is facing 36 shots a game. So the horrible defense theory in Florida is out the window. [/QUOTE]

Good point on Miller. Schneider I would trust, Bishop not yet, and Howard has been a disapointment for me this year. If Quick can't go, and he still has time, I'd want Miller in there assuming Thomas doesnt get picked...[/QUOTE]

Yah I'd like too see Bishop in IIHF World games first, agree there. Howard can be perplexing with his instictive, anticipation at times and he gets too small in his net at times.

23. This post has been removed.

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

[QUOTE]

Yes it will be up to Poille's scouts and coaches. Thomas is watching on TV.

[/QUOTE]

And it was today they're well aware of Tim Thomas & he's played his way back onto this team. :-P