My top 5 of all time...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from HOTBLITZ. Show HOTBLITZ's posts

My top 5 of all time...

On a Pats thread me which I mainly read/post on, me and another poster got into a debate on A Bobby Orr thread.

I know you all are hardcore Bruin fans but try looking objectively. I was told I was beyond comprehension and ridiculous to put Super Mario ahead of The great Bobby Orr on my all time list.

I also went as far as to say possibly when it's all said and done maybe 10 years from Sid could possibly have as decorated a career as that. Not that he will, but it's entirely possible.

Even if you all put your list up and have #4 ahead of #66 please let me know if it's reasonable to say that they be spoken in the same discussion, which I think is absolutely fair.

I did some research and on the HHOF Boards with over a 100 posters I would say my assessement of putting Mario either 1,2, or 3 is definitely not out of line and certainly right around where most had him.

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1358077

Anywho, sorry for taking up your time but in finishing here is my list.

1. Mario

2. Gretzky

3. Orr

4. Howe

5. Roy (sorry boys, had to do it based on pure domination)

List your own if you like, critique away, and factor in whatever makes you think makes each player who he is..( ie.. talent, era, longevity, etc....)

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Re: My top 5 of all time...

Those who stated that putting Mario ahead of Gretzky and Orr isn't right...are right.  Love or hate Gretzky or Orr, the debate is only which of those two is #1.  No one else is in the discussion.  I also wouldn't put Roy there.  He was an incredible player, but not "dominante" in his time as much as Hasek or Brodeur.

Gretzky

Orr

Lemieux

Howe

Richard

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from JWensink. Show JWensink's posts

5 Bobby Orr's dominate 5 anybody else's you want to put out there - end of story 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Don-Bruino. Show Don-Bruino's posts

In response to JWensink's comment:

5 Bobby Orr's dominate 5 anybody else's you want to put out there - end of story 

One Bobby Orr would dominate any 11 other players on the ice at any time. Bobby would have the puck until he got tired or bored. Period.

Can you picture Wayne Gretzky trying to get the puck off Bobby Orr. HAHAHAHAHAHA.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

I'll take what Bobby Hull & Cherry Cheever's said. Orr is in a class all by himself. There's no list under Bobby. Then there's Wayne at #1 and the rest is a crap shoot. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

In response to Don-Bruino's comment:

In response to JWensink's comment:

One Bobby Orr would dominate any 11 other players on the ice at any time. Bobby would have the puck until he got tired or bored. Period.

Can you picture Wayne Gretzky trying to get the puck off Bobby Orr. HAHAHAHAHAHA.

That would be a hoot! Can you see ANYONE taking the puck from Bobby? If Bobby was playing in this era he'd still dominate. No where near what he did when he played, but he'd still be one of the best. However, if he had the same kind of workout regime & machines they have today to work with. Maybe he would be still be far & beyond.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

In response to HOTBLITZ's comment:

This is my take on your list

Orr- Doesn't belong on a list, because there is no list under this man. He's by himself

1. Gretzky- Vision & the ability to make an opposing player do what Wayne wanted him to do. 

2. Mario- Best finesse player EVER, but a big baby for a big man!

3. Neely- Best all around hockey player that I have ever seen. He could play any kind of game you wanted. 

4. Howe- Never saw him play, but probably the best all around player up to this point.

5. Mike Bossy- Purest goal scorer I've ever seen. Still no one to this day can one time a puck like this guy did. When a goalie stopped him, it was usually a highlight, but I remember Gillies Meloche & Richard Brodeur stopping everyone in the play-offs until they faced Mike Bossy! 9 straight 50 goal seasons? No one has come close! 

Roy- When he was on his game, he was one of the best, but I think Parent was every bit as good. MB & DH are ahead of Patrick Roy. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011. Show StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011's posts

I beacame a BRUINS fan when I saw this kid at 16 ...the GREATEST HOCKEY PLAYER OF ALL TIME

1.   BOBBY ORR

2.   Mario Lemieux

3.   Wayne

4.   Gordie Howe

5.  Doug Harvey

6.  KHUDO

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

Gretzky

Then Orr

lemieux

howe

richard

5 gretzkys?  Really.  Wouldnt beat 5 Orrs.  The problem with 5 Gretzkys is it likely would be too smart reading the play and 2 or 3 gretzkys would show up for the puck.  If Orr would have had a long career he might have better standing with me.  Being the best ever also means playing a long career in my eyes.  Greztky has more assists then anyone else has pts combined.   this really isnt close in my eyes.   

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

For those of you who didn't get to see Bobby Orr play..............you missed the best 200 foot player the game has known.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from JWensink. Show JWensink's posts

If Wayne Gretzky was stronger and won the norris every year he was in the league - then you'd have Bobby Orr.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

I cant hear all the Orr supporters.  I have 60 plus nhl records in my ears.  

gretzky and orr then a huge drop for me.  Again.  If Orr could have stayed healthy it may have swayed my opinion.  but gretzky never stopped. Left on his own terms.  Owns just about every record, has more cups And so on.  im not bashing Orr, i just think so much of wayne.  

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In response to shuperman's comment:

gretzky and orr then a huge drop for me.  Again.  If Orr could have stayed healthy it may have swayed my opinion.  but gretzky never stopped. Left on his own terms.  Owns just about every record, has more cups And so on.  im not bashing Orr, i just think so much of wayne.  

The beating that Orr took made it possible for Gretz to do his thing for as long as he did. The league and more specifically the Oilers, were not going to let Wayne suffer the same fate as Bobby. Hence, the Nhl policeman role was created. I think Gretzky was talented beyond belief but I still agree with Chowdah. Orr's all around game trumped all others.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

In response to dezaruchi's comment:

The beating that Orr took made it possible for Gretz to do his thing for as long as he did. The league and more specifically the Oilers, were not going to let Wayne suffer the same fate as Bobby. Hence, the Nhl policeman role was created. I think Gretzky was talented beyond belief but I still agree with Chowdah. Orr's all around game trumped all others.

Dez,  the water skiing in the 80s was disgusting and the enforcer role was around in the 70s.  With each generation the players of the past pave the way.  I think each generation has great players and i dont think you can compare them.   there is no way i can convince you or chowda who i consider very very hockey savy.  And there is no way you can convince me.  Pure opinions only.  I dont think either party is wrong.  But there is no way i can be convinced that what gretzky did over his long career will ever be touched.   I wish i was older just for the fact that i would have really liked to digest what Orr did.  My dad is the biggest hab fan alive and he says no one is in orrs league.  

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

Dez,  the water skiing in the 80s was disgusting and the enforcer role was around in the 70s.  With each generation the players of the past pave the way.  I think each generation has great players and i dont think you can compare them.   there is no way i can convince you or chowda who i consider very very hockey savy.  And there is no way you can convince me.  Pure opinions only.  I dont think either party is wrong.  But there is no way i can be convinced that what gretzky did over his long career will ever be touched.   I wish i was older just for the fact that i would have really liked to digest what Orr did.  My dad is the biggest hab fan alive and he says no one is in orrs league.  

There were goons in the 70's but the full blown policeman role came in with Gretzky. I'm not knocking Gretz in any way when I say his overall game wasn't the same as Orr (or even Messier for instance). I'm a huge fan of the Great One. I just prefer Orr.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

Which also makes it hard for you to win your arguement Shupe. I hear yours & I have Neely as the 4th best player I ever seen, but I'm sure someone who's older than I that watched the Rocket & Howe (in his early yrs) play think that I was nuts to put Cam that high on a list. So, I'm not going to try & sway you, because we all have our favourites for our own reason's, but I just need to say a couple of  things. Orr fought his own battles. Orr had over 100pts & 100 penalty minutes & won the scoring race twice as a defensemen. On one leg most of his career.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

There were goons in the 70's but the full blown policeman role came in with Gretzky. I'm not knocking Gretz in any way when I say his overall game wasn't the same as Orr (or even Messier for instance). I'm a huge fan of the Great One. I just prefer Orr.

Plus didn't Orr do his own fighting, dez?  I don't recall Gretzky, as magnificent as he was, doing that.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

In response to NeelyOrrBourque's comment:

Which also makes it hard for you to win your arguement Shupe. I hear yours & I have Neely as the 4th best player I ever seen, but I'm sure someone who's older than I that watched the Rocket & Howe (in his early yrs) play think that I was nuts to put Cam that high on a list. So, I'm not going to try & sway you, because we all have our favourites for our own reason's, but I just need to say a couple of  things. Orr fought his own battles. Orr had over 100pts & 100 penalty minutes & won the scoring race twice as a defensemen. On one leg most of his career.

Just noticed you mentioned this point already, nite.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In response to RichHillOntario's comment:

Plus didn't Orr do his own fighting, dez?  I don't recall Gretzky, as magnificent as he was, doing that.

Finished career with more PIMs than points. 915 points-953 PIMs

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

And thats cool.  But to me no one is close to gretzky.  Can you imagine if he had a player with him over ssemenko?  And guys like lemieux still got abused.  Gretzky for the amount he handled the puck was simply smarter then the game.  

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

Yet everywhere is up in arms when horton fights.  fighting and greatest hockey player shouldnt be  in the same sentence.  I definitely dont want gretzky off for 5 minutes.  

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

Harry Howell was a prophet in 1967 when he said Orr was going to own the Norris for years to come.  I've read HOFer Doug Harvey was supposed to have been the first defenseman to rush the puck past center but somehow I'm not sure he had the same impact on the position for the generations that followed like Orr did - which is what I see separating him from Gretzky. 

Of course Gretzky's far and away the greatest scorer but because of the likes of offensive D-guys like Bourque, Steve Duchesne, Potvin, Coffey, Phil Housley, MacInnis, Mike Green, Ian Turnbull, Iafrate, Weber, Larry Murphy, Kevin Hatcher, Randy Carlyle, Scott Niedermayer, Doug Wilson, Boyle, Rob Blake, Brad Park, Ron Greschner and Larry Robinson to name a few, I think Orr's impact is measured through them. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

Harry Howell was a prophet in 1967 when he said Orr was going to own the Norris for years to come.  I've read HOFer Doug Harvey was supposed to have been the first defenseman to rush the puck past center but somehow I'm not sure he had the same impact on the position for the generations that followed like Orr did - which is what I see separating him from Gretzky. 

Of course Gretzky's far and away the greatest scorer but because of the likes of offensive D-guys like Bourque, Steve Duchesne, Coffey, MacInnis, Mike Green, Ian Turnbull, Iafrate, Weber, Larry Murphy, Kevin Hatcher, Randy Carlyle, Scott Niedermayer, Doug Wilson, Boyle, Rob Blake, Brad Park, Ron Greschner and Larry Robinson to name a few, I think Orr's impact is measured through them. 

Good post.  Gretzky didnt have coffee though everywhere.  Orr changed the game from the backend.  Can you imagine gretzky or orr with todays rules.  No two line pass.  And pp for tripping on the blueline.  

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

You don't need to fight to be a hockey player.  The willingness and ability may make some players more valuable, but it doesn't diminish great players.  Mike Bossy, according to hockeyfights.com, had one career fight.  Does that have any impact on his place in history?  Not at all in my book.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

Gretzky wins scoring title as a rookie with 51 goals.  137 pts.  No coffee.  

No one will ever touch any of his records unless they play a 200 game season.