12 years, $5.2Billion

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

12 years, $5.2Billion

That's what broadcasting rights for the NHL are worth in Canada.

It amounts to a little less than $14.5M/year/team.  After taxes, that might be almost enough to pay Shea Weber.  Between broadcast in Canada, broadcast in the US, and Gamecentre live, eyeballs on screens probably pull in under $30M/year/team.  Yet revenues end up in the $3B annually range?  With only $433M coming from Canadian TV?  I'm guessing gate receipts are just over $1B (avg. league ticket price going into last year was $57, so guessing at an average attendance of 15K for 41 home dates for 30 teams...).

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Don-Bruino. Show Don-Bruino's posts

Re: 12 years, $5.2Billion

If you have Cable, Internet and Wireless phone with Rogers, like I do, you can expect your bill to double every 4 to 5 years for the life of this agreement.

By 2026, when I'll be fully into retirement, God only knows if I'll be able to afford any of it.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jaymiller. Show jaymiller's posts

Look on the bright side ~

Less Don Cherry

Less Toronto Maple Leafs

it's a win, win !!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

$5.2 BILLION

Yeah, I bet the owners really hate Bettman.

His job is clearly in jeopardy.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

This deal is absolutely going to hammer TSN and the CBC. CBC gets 50 per cent of its ad revenue from hockey. Though they'll still have HNIC for at least four more years, Rogers gets all the ad revenue. And TSN? Hockey is their raison d'etre - sure they'll still have their specials and their news programs, but no more games? That will be a huge financial blow. Both networks are going to lose a lot of their on-air talent to Rogers as well. As it is TSN will have to fold three of its subsidiary networks - TSNJets, TSNLeafs and TSNMontreal.

Personally I'm not a fan of Sportsnet but now they're suddeny the big dog in Canada.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In response to Don-Bruino's comment:[QUOTE] If you have Cable, Internet and Wireless phone with Rogers, like I do, you can expect your bill to double every 4 to 5 years for the life of this agreement.  [/QUOTE]

Do you pay for each access separately ? or is it bundled ?

If I am not hooked up through some free/city wifi, I won't watch highlights or a game through my laptop or my cell phone bill will go bonkers for the streaming.

Wonder how much the small market teams get in revenue sharing ?

Curious too how the percentages are broken out.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

In response to Don-Bruino's comment:
    [QUOTE]

If you have Cable, Internet and Wireless phone with Rogers, like I do, you can expect your bill to double every 4 to 5 years for the life of this agreement.

By 2026, when I'll be fully into retirement, God only knows if I'll be able to afford any of it.

[/QUOTE]

I don't know if it will double, but it will certainly go up. These leagues have priced out so many from attending, now theyre going to force you to pay more to watch it.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Sorry, just saw that TSN will keep the rights for TSNJets and some other regional coverage for the Leafs, Habs and Sens.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49thparallel. Show 49thparallel's posts

Red, TSN will have to survive on the NBA and good ol' CFL football. Go 'Cats.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

First CBC loses their HNIC theme song and now this.  There was no mention of layoffs for some at CBC.  Would that be on the horizon?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Don-Bruino. Show Don-Bruino's posts

Rogers just bought themselves a monopoly. They will make all Canadians pay through the nose - just like a good monopolist would.

They already own the mediums, plus they suckered the CBC for HNIC. 

Does anyone honestly think they won't gouge?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

HNIC is a tradition i cant live without.  Anything that takes the game away from the true megapower is going to be a sad day.   NBC is an absolute joke to watch.   Sportsnet is painful.  I like TSN but HNIC is the best.  And yes thats even with the current cast.  And yes i hate healey and some of the other morons.  But no one sets the stage like hnic.  Their intros give me goosebumps.  neil young.  Major goosebumps.  

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

In response to shuperman's comment:
    [QUOTE]

HNIC is a tradition i cant live without.  Anything that takes the game away from the true megapower is going to be a sad day.   NBC is an absolute joke to watch.   Sportsnet is painful.  I like TSN but HNIC is the best.  And yes thats even with the current cast.  And yes i hate healey and some of the other morons.  But no one sets the stage like hnic.  Their intros give me goosebumps.  neil young.  Major goosebumps.  

[/QUOTE]

Is HNIC going ot be gone? Please say no..

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

In response to RichHillOntario's comment:
    [QUOTE]

First CBC loses their HNIC theme song and now this.  There was no mention of layoffs for some at CBC.  Would that be on the horizon?

[/QUOTE]

There was on CBC radio this morning, and not just in the sports - they got slapped with 200 million in cuts over the last year and now they just lost 50 per cent of their ad revenue, so yeah there are going to be layoffs and likely massive changes across the entire network.

And kel, in name HNIC will be around for four more years, but it will be a Rogers production aired on CBC, not a CBC production so expect some changes. And after 4 years? Who knows.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Keep on Rockin' in the freeworld!!!!! 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

For people that get NHL Center ice they will all have to switch to Rogers now, unless Rogers sells the packages to subsidiaries like Bell or Telus or Shaw. I don't think this is good for hockey fans in Canada if Rogers holds them hostage as in us or no one. I don't think all hockey fans will switch to Rogers if thats what happens and that is a loss for the NHL. Monopolies are no good for anyone. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from wallydouglas. Show wallydouglas's posts

This will certainly drive up the nhl package as rogers will sell off to other major carriers tp provide hockey to non roger subscribers. I have bell and i am certain the the price will double next year or more. One thing this will certainly do is revive the FTA market. This is rediculous that the crtc would even approve of this, I havent seen anythinf from them for a statement yet.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

In response to wallydouglas' comment:
    [QUOTE]

This will certainly drive up the nhl package as rogers will sell off to other major carriers tp provide hockey to non roger subscribers. I have bell and i am certain the the price will double next year or more. One thing this will certainly do is revive the FTA market. This is rediculous that the crtc would even approve of this, I havent seen anythinf from them for a statement yet.

[/QUOTE]

I agree Wally.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonBruinss. Show BostonBruinss's posts

I live in MTL and subscribe to Center Ice. If they take this away and jack up the price. Guess what, I'll go back to streaming for free. S c r e w U N H L

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

NBC is fine.  You may dislike the commentators, but it's tough to dismiss one set when the other set is just as bad. Emerick, Olczyk and Maguire aren't that much worse than Healy and Co, and I'll take JR, Keith Jones and Milbury over PJ freakin' Stock.

At least the camera angles are good.

Some teams are on Fox networks down here and it's bad.  The lower camera angles make it difficult to watch.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In response to shuperman's comment:[QUOTE]  NBC is an absolute joke to watch.   Sportsnet is painful.  I like TSN but HNIC is the best.  And yes thats even with the current cast.  And yes i hate healey and some of the other morons.  But no one sets the stage like hnic.  [/QUOTE]

Who has better hockey knowledge ? Milbury/Roenick Vs Stock/Healy ?

Hands down Milbury and Roenick all day. HNIC in between periods is a complete joke!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from OrrandPapiRGods. Show OrrandPapiRGods's posts

In response to SanDogBrewin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to shuperman's comment:[QUOTE]  NBC is an absolute joke to watch.   Sportsnet is painful.  I like TSN but HNIC is the best.  And yes thats even with the current cast.  And yes i hate healey and some of the other morons.  But no one sets the stage like hnic.  [/QUOTE]

Who has better hockey knowledge ? Milbury/Roenick Vs Stock/Healy ?

Hands down Milbury and Roenick all day. HNIC in between periods is a complete joke!

[/QUOTE]
    Totally disagree with you on this point. I have yet to see any US produced hockey broadcast that can compare to CBC. NBC has improved a lot though. HNIC is the gold standard!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to OrrandPapiRGods' comment:
    [QUOTE]

Totally disagree with you on this point. I have yet to see any US produced hockey broadcast that can compare to CBC. NBC has improved a lot though. HNIC is the gold standard!

[/QUOTE]

"When you look at a guy like *************, not all the God-blessed talent in the world, but he is a hard worker."

Now, who is Glenn Healy referring to?  Thornton?  Paille?

Nope.  Pavel Datsyuk.

Yeah, the gold standard.

Gold pooooop.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from OrrandPapiRGods. Show OrrandPapiRGods's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to OrrandPapiRGods' comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

"When you look at a guy like *************, not all the God-blessed talent in the world, but he is a hard worker."

Now, who is Glenn Healy referring to?  Thornton?  Paille?

Nope.  Pavel Datsyuk.

Yeah, the gold standard.

Gold pooooop. 

[/QUOTE]

I hate Healey too, blowhard windbag. He's the one pimple in my books.  At least they've never had glow pucks, Lol

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from jaymiller. Show jaymiller's posts

Well done HNIC playoff montage ~ note: they didn't glorify the violence, but they didn't shy away from it either  (which really surprised me)

The Rolling Stones ~ Gimme Shelter

sing it Mick ~

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2Am6-5d9G8