1992-1993 season unprecedented offensive explosion

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

1992-1993 season unprecedented offensive explosion

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=646127

"Eleven of the 24 teams had a power play that scored at least 20 percent of the time; by comparison, three of the 30 teams were at 20 percent or better in 2011-12."

"Fifteen teams scored 300 or more goals in 1992-93, compared to zero last season.

Pavel Bure's 110 points, good for 13th in 1992-93, would have been enough to lead the NHL in scoring in each of the past two seasons.

It does go to show you how much better the League is now and has evolved," Adam Oates, who was third with 142 points in '92-93, told NHL.com. "I wanted 100 assists but I ended up with 97. It was a pretty magical year.

Mario Lemieux, who led the League with 160 points despite playing 60 games, had 18 points in a combined five games against Ottawa, San Jose and Tampa Bay. Pat LaFontaine, second with 148 points, had 27 points in 11 games against the three teams, and Oates had 23 points in the same amount of games."

Ahh the days before the trap and Garth Snow...REE DONKULOUS numbers.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Re: 1992-1993 season unprecedented offensive explosion

One of my favouite seasons - lots of great memories of watching Selanne that year in the old Winnipeg Arena. Unbelievable season.

Though to put it into some context each team played two more games, and the Sens and Sharks combined for a total of 21 wins, 48 points (24 each), and over 800 goals against so the numbers are slightly inflated. (the worst team in the league last year still managed 65 points)

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Re: 1992-1993 season unprecedented offensive explosion

Expansion was such a gift!

Great look, Sandog.  Those were my favorite times in hockey.  The goals were there, the power was there, the goons could do more than fight...

Awesome rookies around that time and most of my favorites in their prime.