19th or 20th

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

19th or 20th

If the Yotes and Devils can capitalize on their 3-1 leads and close out their series, then the Bruins will pick at 20th, and if the Caps knock out the Rangers, they'll get the 19th pick.

Crazy, crazy post season - it's highly possible that the top team in the next round could be the Devils, who finished in 9th overall.

So who may be available at that point in the draft? Who would you like to see the Bruins go after with the 19th or 20th pick?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

Re: 19th or 20th

Red, it wouldn't bother me to see them roll the dice on the overaged late-bloomer Tanner Pearson.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

I'm really hoping for another college defensman (Oh that's just a easy copy n paste now) lol.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

Seems like a good idea.

In Response to Re: 19th or 20th:
    [QUOTE]Red, it wouldn't bother me to see them roll the dice on the overaged late-bloomer Tanner Pearson.
    Posted by dezaruchi[/QUOTE]

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from TomOBrien. Show TomOBrien's posts

I asked this question on a thread about a week ago and was told that the B's were drafting closer to the mid 20's...what you wrote is what I thought based upon my research...it would depend upon the exit of teams during the playoffs and their regular season record.
    I am glad to see that the draft position is going to possibly improve.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from boborielly224. Show boborielly224's posts

The Oilers are willing to trade their first rd. pick for good return. If the Bruins can work a deal with edm. to get their 1st we go after another top d man Murray.
    The question is what will the cost be to get Edm. 1st pick? Murray and Hamilton 2 young d men the Bruins future blueline if these 2 can be NHL ready next year by trade deadline the flood gates can open up.

The Oilers are looking for good prospects and d man NHL ready. Boston's 1st rd and Boychuk will at least start a conversation with Oilers. It is a long shot but I think they are more interseted in Toronto Mtl or Columbus 1st rd pick plus prospect.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from scooter244. Show scooter244's posts

[QUOTE]The Oilers are willing to trade their first rd. pick for good return. If the Bruins can work a deal with edm. to get their 1st we go after another top d man Murray. The question is what will the cost be to get Edm. 1st pick ? Murray and Hamilton 2 young d men the Bruins future blueline if these 2 can be NHL ready next year by trade deadline the flood gates can open up. The Oilers are looking for good prospects and d man NHL ready. Boston's 1st rd and Boychuk will at least start a conversation with Oilers. It is a long shot but I think they are more interseted in Toronto Mtl or Columbus 1st rd pick plus prospect.
    Posted by boborielly224[/QUOTE]

First overall pick for a stay at home D-Man?  Not very sexy.   Pretty sure he will be available after the lottery positions are taken.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

[QUOTE]The Oilers are willing to trade their first rd. pick for good return. If the Bruins can work a deal with edm. to get their 1st we go after another top d man Murray. The question is what will the cost be to get Edm. 1st pick ? Murray and Hamilton 2 young d men the Bruins future blueline if these 2 can be NHL ready next year by trade deadline the flood gates can open up. The Oilers are looking for good prospects and d man NHL ready. Boston's 1st rd and Boychuk will at least start a conversation with Oilers. It is a long shot but I think they are more interseted in Toronto Mtl or Columbus 1st rd pick plus prospect.
    Posted by boborielly224[/QUOTE]

Unless you're going to pick Yakupov, it makes zero sense to trade for that pick.
    Also, if the Devils win today, they pick 20th, and there may be solid options at D there already - Olli Maata, SlaterKoekkoek, Matt Finn, Derek Pouliot etc.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from lambda13. Show lambda13's posts

Another first round Pouliot.... Oh jeez. hahah

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from OrrEspoCash. Show OrrEspoCash's posts

Pouliot? Why not. then we can have the Pouliot brothers checking the Sedin sisters.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

[QUOTE]I'm really hoping for another college defensman (Oh that's just a easy copy n paste now) lol.
    Posted by SanDogBrewin[/QUOTE]

So is "Bruins send [insert college defenseman] to Providence (AHL).

jerk.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davinator. Show Davinator's posts

I wasn't sure how the SC Playoff finishes affected the Draft...so I looked it up.

Draft picks #1-14 are already set by the Draft Lottery and non-playoff team finishes.

This is all I could find for a description how the Playoff results affect the remaining picks...from Wikipedia (of all places!)

“The remaining order is determined by the Stanley Cup playoff results. Whichever team wins the Stanley Cup is awarded the 30th and last pick, while the runner-up is given the 29th pick. The teams eliminated in the conference finals are awarded the 28th and 27th picks, with the 28th pick going to the team with the better regular season record. Remaining division winners, then the rest of the field are ranked next, filling in the 26th through 15th picks. In both cases, better records result in later picks.”

If this is correct and Division winners are seeded after the top four, here’s how I figure it.

If NYR wins their series (NJ/PHI are interchangeable for all intents and purposes):

PICK......TEAM..........PTS
    15..........OTT ...........92
    16..........WAS...........92
    17..............SJ............96
    18...........CHI...........101
    19...........DET..........102
    20........(PHI/NJ).....(103/102)
    21...........NAS..........104
    22...........PIT............108
    23...........FLA*...........94
    24...........BOS*........102
    25...........STL*.........109
    26..........VAN*.........111
    -------TOP 4 IN NO PARTICULAR ORDER------------
    27...........PHX*..........97
    28.........(NJ/PHI)......(102/103)
    29...........NYR*........109
    30...........LAK............95

If WAS wins their series:

PICK.......TEAM........PTS
    15...........OTT...........92
    16..............SJ............96
    17...........CHI..........101
    18...........DET.........102
    19........(PHI/NJ)....(103/102)
    20...........NAS.........104
    21...........PIT...........108
    22...........FLA*..........94
    23...........BOS*.......102
    24...........STL*........109
    25...........NYR*.......109
    26...........VAN*.......111
    -------TOP 4 IN NO PARTICULAR ORDER------------
    27...........PHX*.........97
    28........(NJ/PHI)....(102/103)
    29...........WAS..........92
    30............LAK..........95

*Division winners

So, as it is playing out, it would appear that Boston would pick 23rd or 24th instead of 19th or 20th...a six position swing.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrCC. Show DrCC's posts

Based on last year's standings and draft order, I think Davinator has it right.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davinator. Show Davinator's posts

What stands out here is the lack of division winners in the Top 4 in each scenario.

Scary playoffs this year...bad for my pool picks too.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]What stands out here is the lack of division winners in the Top 4 in each scenario. Scary playoffs this year...bad for my pool picks too.
    Posted by Davinator[/QUOTE]
    Pearson might still be available at 24.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from biggskye. Show biggskye's posts

My pick is Scott Laughton (ranked #30). I have seen him a whole 3 times, but too me, he looked like a Bruin.
    He plays with an edge, and will go into the corners, without any fear.
    He is also, the only player ranked in the bottom 1/3 of the 1st round, that I can remember, seeing play :) 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In Response to Re: 19th or 20th:[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 19th or 20th : So is "Bruins send [insert college defenseman] to Providence (AHL). jerk. Posted by Bookboy007[/QUOTE]

Krug will skate in your dreams all summer lol

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

Just picked up my Hockey News draft preview as I do every year. Gotta say, it's a pretty uninspiring batch of prospects. Glad this is the year the Habs and Leafs have top-5 picks.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Every year is supposed to be the 2007 draft again then late June rolls around. I was able to see Reinhart and Murray up in Everett n Portland this season. If they somehow drop PC should take one of them.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

The Bruins have a lot of smaller forwards as prospects. How about some beef up front ? Power forward Tom Wilson should be available near the bottom of the first round.

And the Bruins need to bring along another goalie prospect. Malcom Subban is a good one.

There are others I like but I expect them to go higher then when the Bruins are picking.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from dc-bruins-fan. Show dc-bruins-fan's posts

Who are the Ryan Callahan, Mike Richards, Dustin Brown type players in this draft? They're usually available in the 20-30 range since they're not the flashiest players, but they're damn effective. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hockguy0818. Show Hockguy0818's posts

One guy I would be thrilled to get if he drops down to us is Brendan Gaunce. Big body, plays physical, hard to get off the puck, and has a decent scoring touch.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from boborielly224. Show boborielly224's posts

I would go for Malcolm Subban if possible could always use prospect goalies. Be interesting to see PK comments after this deal is done.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Drafting goalies high is a really bad idea usually, and they can take forever to develop. Sure, 8 of the league's 30 starters this season were drafted in the first round. But 12 went after pick 100. Rinne was drafted 258th overall in 2004. Tim Thomas, Lundqvist, Halak, Vokoun, and Nabokov were all drafted in the 200's. Backstrom, Hiller and Niemi were never drafted. Smith went in the 6th, Miller went in the fifth, Kiprusoff went in the fourth, Howard, Quick and Anderson all went in the third.

Doesn't make sense to me to use a first rounder on something as hit or miss as a goalie unless there's one out there that is surefire bet, and even then the scouts can get it wrong - a lousy track record around the league of evaluating goalies. Lehtonen has been solid but never a star, and he went 2nd overall, meanwhile Conn Smythe winner Cam Ward went 23 spots later.

In fact the only guy with a Vezina currently in the league who was drafted in the first round is Martin Brodeur (20th overall), and that won't change this year with a nomination list that includes Quick, Lundqvist and Rinne.

THN has a good article on this in their Draft preview.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheGuyWithDaThing. Show TheGuyWithDaThing's posts

Goalies are tough to judge, as the defense in juniors is generally horrendous. It seems that you can find some great goalies later in the draft. The goaltending-duel series that us Bruins fans just endured was backstopped by 4th and 8th rounders.

I'd like to see the Bruins pick up a power forward type. They really don't have any good prospects with that game in their system. Caron is an undersized power forward, I'd say. He's only 205-ish.

I'd say try to go with a lockdown defender or a power forward. Whichever player is the best available in either of those molds at the Bruins pick, take him, unless there is some good player that slips through and you have to change your plans. I'd say take the safe bet, though.