2003 Draft Class - B's Fail 1st Round

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from bnice0015. Show bnice0015's posts

2003 Draft Class - B's Fail 1st Round

http://espn.go.com/blog/nhl/post/_/id/26398/you-make-the-call-re-drafting-class-of-2003

Interesting piece by ESPN.  Suprised they put that much thought into a hockey article!!  Good thing we got Bergy out of that draft.  Our first round was a complete fail!!!

I apologize if this has been covered under another thread.  I'm not a frequent to this discussion forum.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Re: 2003 Draft Class - B's Fail 1st Round

Not their best pick ever, but of all the players who were taken in the 1st round, Stuart has played the 18 most games (and 30th most of the entire draft class). Of the players taken behind him in the first, only 3 of those 17 players ahead of him were available - Perry, Kesler and Richards. Now granted Stuart's nowhere in the same world as those players, but he's a solid D who is maintaining a good career (unfortunately no longer with the Bruins, but we no longer have a need for him anyway). It wasn't a home run, and some good players, in hindsight, were still on the table. But given their spot, I wouldn't call it a fail. A fail would be the Rangers picking Jessiman.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Well, we've beaten draft failings to death.

What I remember most from 2003 is the smug look on O'Connell's face when they announced the trade with San Jose that allowed the Sharks to draft Bernier and gave the Bruins an extra second rounder - high in the second round - just for moving down five picks.  He looked like he was going to retire to the pub and wait for Mensa to call.  I think I recall him saying that they had a bunch of guys on their board that they saw as basically equal, so why not get that extra pick in a deep draft?  I guess when three of the four intervening picks are Parise, Getzlaf and Burns, that's why (Average Cap Hit for those three players today: $7.166M).

To make matters worse, they picked for need when they got there.  Remember the 2002-03 Bruins?  Thornton with 100+ points, Murray and Knuble with 44 and 30 goals, and Rolston with 27.  Stumpel as a second line C.  A glut of bottom six forwards from Axelsson and Lapointe to McInnis, Zamuner, and Grosek to a horde of wannabes like Hilbert, Huml, Goren, Vernarsky....  But on D?  Retread Berard was the top scoring D.  Nick Boynton the top all around D.  Girard the top prospect on D.  Gill and Sweeney and O'Donnell were the other NHL vets to round out the top six, but somehow Sean Brown got 69 games (some or most at 4th line forward if I remember correctly), and then it's laundry list: Kutlak, Kutainen, McGillis, Brennan, Morrisonn.  Bad, bad defense.

Stuart hasn't been a bad player; he's just not as good as three of the four guys they passed on or Kesler, Mike Richards, or Perry who were chosen after him in the first round.

Now the Bruins will have the 6th and the 11th leading scorers from that entire draft on a line together (Bergeron at 6, Eriksson at 11).

Are you not entertained?!?!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from asmaha. Show asmaha's posts

Interesting how many of my man-crushes are on this list. Staal, Vanek, Bergeron, Suter, Parise, Perry, Backes, Eriksson. Maybe it's a 2003 thing? Or maybe I'm just a floozy with my affection.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Oh, and the best part about that deal is that the Bruins used the pick on a player who, if I think about it, seems like their first attempt to find a Lucic or, probably more accurately, a successor to Neely.  Masi Marjamaki was supposed to be a power forward in Red Deer - aggressive, agitating with the possibility that he was going to develop better hands as he matured. 

They never even signed him.  He went back in the draft and the Islanders took him in the fifth round two years later.  El Busto.

Are you not entertained?!?!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from asmaha. Show asmaha's posts

In response to Bookboy007's comment:

Now the Bruins will have the 6th and the 11th leading scorers from that entire draft on a line together (Bergeron at 6, Eriksson at 11).

Drop the puck already! Wheeeeeeeeee.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

In response to asmaha's comment:

Interesting how many of my man-crushes are on this list. Staal, Vanek, Bergeron, Suter, Parise, Perry, Backes, Eriksson. Maybe it's a 2003 thing? Or maybe I'm just a floozy with my affection.

It's definitely a 2003 thing - that draft was absolutely unreal all the way through to the last round (guys like Buff, Enstrom and O'Brien went in the 8th, and Halak, Moulson and Glass went in the 9th - they wouldn't even be drafted these days now that it's down to 7 rounds)

Only draft class that compares is '79. I'd have to give 2003 the edge, if only for the goaltending. '03 had Elliott, Crawford, Howard, Halak, Fleury - 79's best keeper was Rick Wamsley.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

The draft class of 2003 is stellar.  Typicla of the Rangers to bite the media angle.  Hugh Jessiman.