2013/14 Around the League Tracker

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

Re: 2013/14 Around the League Tracker

Is this Belov the next Ulanov or what?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

Sorry San Dog. I just noticed you already created a thread like this.

Will switch over.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In response to jmwalters' comment:

Sorry San Dog. I just noticed you already created a thread like this.

Will switch over.

This one is fine, better title. You are right about the Oilers, I was hoping they would start to turn the corner a bit. Just think we used to laugh at Garth Snow on  here allot.

5-1 Vancouver!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

In response to SanDogBrewin's comment:

This one is fine, better title. You are right about the Oilers, I was hoping they would start to turn the corner a bit. Just think we used to laugh at Garth Snow on  here allot.

5-1 Vancouver!

Yep, looks like another high draft pick for them. Dubnyk in particular was brutal. They put a lot of stock in him but he is not the second coming of Fuhr. Maybe Markkanen.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sobchack. Show Sobchack's posts

In response to Sobchack's comment:

[QUOTE]

Looking at the Stars' roster, Seguin, Peverley, and Benn stick out at me as guys who can put up good numbers on a rebuilding team that'll let them play with a bigger plan towards individual growth rather than playing them in a "system."

Cole, Whitney and Gonchar are at the last gasp parts of their careers .

Interesting juxtposition with the organization's roster choice is it not? Are they rebuilding or do they think they have enough to go for a playoff run by adding a few vets? Seems like they are going for the latter.

Reminds me of the wheelspinning the Flames org has been doing the past decade until they finally decided to go for a full rebuild this season.

[/QUOTE]

Been to Dallas a few times.  Even to a game yers back.  It's a town that will embrace a winning franchise.  They were pretty hockey mad after the Cup win but that org has sputtered.  Calgary can survive losing seasons because it's, well, a built-in hockey town.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

[QUOTE]

5-1 Vancouver!

Yep, looks like another high draft pick for them. Dubnyk in particular was brutal. They put a lot of stock in him but he is not the second coming of Fuhr. Maybe Markkanen.

[/QUOTE]

Dubnyk is suited for the AHL and LaBarbera is a career backup, good to see that MacT was going to make big changes and take bold measures, what a laugh.The Ol' boys club is alive and well in Edmonton. The Oiler D is also dreadful, sorry Andrew. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Two things were very clear with the Oilers.  One is that they desperately need their top two centres back because they didn't look good at either end.  Sloppy, sloppy hockey all over the ice.  Too much skill at the top end of that roster for them to be completely unable to make a 10 foot pass.  Defense can't start a breakout to save its life, even the much lauded Justin Schultz at this point.  They need their centres to key their breakouts, make the crisp, quick, accurate passes that give them a chance to create time and space for Hall or Yakupov or Eberle to snipe.  The other is oh, holy frijoles do they need to be coached.  Desperately. Like everything else that has any small success in Toronto, we've been hearing about Eakins as the next genius coach, the guy who made the Marlies the next great Toronto hockey power despite having only Leafs prospects to work with.  We shall see, I guess, because that team has no commitment to playing any kind of structure, or, worse, they don't have any kind of structure in place to play.  Either the Oilers are grossly over-rated in terms of the quality of their young talent, or that young talent is drowning in anarchy.

Hall repeatedly looked like he was going to barf after Dubnyk gave up a goal.  'Course, half the time, the camera was on him to catch the look because he blew a coverage or made the turn-over that led to the chance in the first place.

What's going to be hilarious is McTavish blowing this thing up before Christmas because the whole construction of the team is flawed.  Boychuk and a first for Yakupov is a real possibility.  Not because it should make any sense, but because I think it will get that dumb.

Are you not entertained?!?!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

In response to Bookboy007's comment:

Two things were very clear with the Oilers.  One is that they desperately need their top two centres back because they didn't look good at either end.  Sloppy, sloppy hockey all over the ice.  Too much skill at the top end of that roster for them to be completely unable to make a 10 foot pass.  Defense can't start a breakout to save its life, even the much lauded Justin Schultz at this point.  They need their centres to key their breakouts, make the crisp, quick, accurate passes that give them a chance to create time and space for Hall or Yakupov or Eberle to snipe.  The other is oh, holy frijoles do they need to be coached.  Desperately. Like everything else that has any small success in Toronto, we've been hearing about Eakins as the next genius coach, the guy who made the Marlies the next great Toronto hockey power despite having only Leafs prospects to work with.  We shall see, I guess, because that team has no commitment to playing any kind of structure, or, worse, they don't have any kind of structure in place to play.  Either the Oilers are grossly over-rated in terms of the quality of their young talent, or that young talent is drowning in anarchy.

Hall repeatedly looked like he was going to barf after Dubnyk gave up a goal.  'Course, half the time, the camera was on him to catch the look because he blew a coverage or made the turn-over that led to the chance in the first place.

What's going to be hilarious is McTavish blowing this thing up before Christmas because the whole construction of the team is flawed.  Boychuk and a first for Yakupov is a real possibility.  Not because it should make any sense, but because I think it will get that dumb.

The Oilers looked like they were practicing a fire drill for the first time, they were all over the place. Like you mentioned BB, they played with no structure or seemed to not know what was going to happen next. I will assume it will get better once Hopkins and Gagner return but that ia no guarantee and Hall at center makes one bad decision after another, time for him to get back to the wing. The defence is like the Keystone cops out there on the two games i have watched them and if the mighty Eakins has a system i sure don't know what it is. When the highlight for the Oilers was Keith Acton getting into it with Tortorella at the benches you know things didn't go well. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

In response to 50belowzero's comment:

The Oilers looked like they were practicing a fire drill for the first time, they were all over the place. Like you mentioned BB, they played with no structure or seemed to not know what was going to happen next. I will assume it will get better once Hopkins and Gagner return but that ia no guarantee and Hall at center makes one bad decision after another, time for him to get back to the wing. The defence is like the Keystone cops out there on the two games i have watched them and if the mighty Eakins has a system i sure don't know what it is. When the highlight for the Oilers was Keith Acton getting into it with Tortorella at the benches you know things didn't go well. 

They need to take sertiously building that team from the backend out. Dubnyk let in some real stinkers last night and their D, as you put it, is AHL caliber at best!!.

Mac needs to use some of his chips to attain some quality Dmen and look for a goalie (Ryan Miller perhaps?).

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Holy Flyers.  0-3, only 3 goals for, 9 against.  I guess you expect them to lose against the Laffs and Shabs more often than not considering they weren't very good last year, but now Carolina?  Hey, teams lose 3 in a row, right?  But Giroux, Voracek, Hartnell, Simmonds, Couturier, Talbot - zero, zero, zero, zero, zero, zero - that's just bad.  That's coach gets the gate at the quarter pole or sooner mark.  Given it's Philly, Laviolette better not make any dinner reservations for next weekend.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

In response to Bookboy007's comment:

Holy Flyers.  0-3, only 3 goals for, 9 against.  I guess you expect them to lose against the Laffs and Shabs more often than not considering they weren't very good last year, but now Carolina?  Hey, teams lose 3 in a row, right?  But Giroux, Voracek, Hartnell, Simmonds, Couturier, Talbot - zero, zero, zero, zero, zero, zero - that's just bad.  That's coach gets the gate at the quarter pole or sooner mark.  Given it's Philly, Laviolette better not make any dinner reservations for next weekend.

Like the Oilers, it is the backend and net that are suspect. Their D is an overpaid mess and goaltending so bad it almost makes you wish for the days of Soderstrom and Roussel. Laviolette will be the sacrificial lamb for Holmgren's blunders.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

Tuned into NJ v EDM with the Devils up 3-0 in the third. Eakins is riding his top line (Hall-RNH-Eberle) like rented mules and Ference is suddently getting top pairing minutes. Must be a message to the rest of the team to wake the hell up.

After this game the Oil go on an 8 game road swing so the things are looking pretty grim.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

"Defense can't start a breakout to save its life, even the much lauded Justin Schultz at this point."

Remembering the same bidding war GMs went through to get Schultz, like Krug, and to no avail. Has not impressed me at all.

Ha as I'm typing Captain Ference blasts one from the point 3-2 Devils. Oilers have the momentum now.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

Well, the Oil proved me wrong and came back to win 5-4. Good for them. I wish I would have kept watching till the end.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Sloppy finish for the Devils, Edmonton were all over them at the end of the game. New Jersey had no puck possession (That's you cough-it-up Jagr and Ryder!) in the 3rd at all, the Oilers had the puck the whole time.

Yes you missed a great finish JMW.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

Sloppy finish for the Devils, Edmonton were all over them at the end of the game. New Jersey had no puck possession (That's you cough-it-up Jagr and Ryder!) in the 3rd at all, the Oilers had the puck the whole time.

Yes you missed a great finish JMW.

Way to rub it in.....lol.

Think Eakins can keep riding his top line like that? They played almost half the game.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

I would, there young they don't know what pain  is yet.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

And when they burn out in a few years they will still be young enough to trade.

Makes sense.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

It's 1-1 down at the ACC with the Avs at the end of two. Come on, Colorado.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

In response to RichHillOntario's comment:

Parenteau!! Av's 3-0, next up the B's where Patty Roy's dream start ends.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bisson1. Show Bisson1's posts

Wow, Tomas Hertl with 4 goals against the Rangers and 6 on the season through 3 games. That last goal was pretty impressive.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Where the heck did this Hertl kid come from?? That was an unbelievable game from a rookie last night - shades of Selanne.

A new winger for Krejci on the Czech national team maybe?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from jaymiller. Show jaymiller's posts

For those wondering what the heck you guys are talking about.  The kids got b*lls / no doubt

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-a-XPZqYIw

and yes that's his mom in the crowd wearing the #12 Patrick Marleau jersey ~ HAHA Surprised

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Good for him?  Bit cheeky in a 7-2 rout, but hey, you let the rookie blow by you like that when he's already bagged 3, maybe you should look in a mirror if that embarrasses you?

On the other hand, let's remember Tarasenko had a start like this last year.  Happens that rookies come out like gangbusters for a few weeks, then the league catches up to them.

Buzz = Killed. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In response to 50belowzero's comment:

Parenteau!! Av's 3-0, next up the B's where Patty Roy's dream start ends. [/QUOTE]

Yah I really do like the look on Pattys face when Cam skated by with his arms in the air.

The Bruins sweep in 92' is always one of my favorites. Oh the excuses Pat Burns came up with LoL