2013 - 2014 Season Predictions

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from bim09. Show bim09's posts

2013 - 2014 Season Predictions

I thought it would be fun to make a thread where all of us high-minded forum analysts could make our predictions for the upcoming season.

The parameters are simple:  2 predictions and an explanation for both.

Mine are

1)  The Bruins barely make the playoffs, if at all.

2)  The Islanders will make the playoffs and be higher than a 5 seed.

I think the reason the Bruins barely make it in this year is because this will be the season of injuries.  As prefaced by DK's early back spasms in training camp.

The Islanders were close last year, I think that continues this year.  Tavares becomes the player he was projected to be because the team is better 7 through 12.  They have excellent depth this year.  And I'll even go out on a limb and say I think they win the season series with the B's

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

Re: 2013 - 2014 Season Predictions

The Blue Jackets make the playoffs due to balanced scoring and good overall team defense.The team has turned a corner.

Phil Kessel is dealt before the trade deadline because the Leafs are unable to meet his salary demands due to cap constraints.

Looks like my prediction might not come true......

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2013/09/30/reports-leafs-kessel-could-be-close-to-lengthy-extension/

"wow,check out all of the losers in here......"

-Gerry Dee

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011. Show StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011's posts

The Oilers will make the playoffs ....

the Rangers wont mqke the playoffs

red will lose her bet with me

Stanley Cup to the BRUINS in 2011 & 4 more Cups by 2020

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

How about no Western Canadian teams make the playoffs. The 3 California teams grab the top three spots in the Pacific, and St. L., Chicago and Minny grab the 3 automatics in the Central and Van, the Oilers and the Jets miss out on the wild cards to the Coyotes and the Stars.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

1. Tim Thomas is traded to Philadelphia at the trade deadline...No explanation needed really,  Philly going with Mason and Emery with hopes one takes it and runs with it. Philly has had one goalie after another and can never seem to find one that sticks. Say what you want about him, but if anyone can break that vicious cycle, it's him. Which ever one lands Thomas, the other lands Ryan Miller.

2. Ryan Miller traded to Pittsburgh. Fleury's struggles continue and the only option now is a change of scenery in hopes to get his mojo back. Miller meanwhile, bids farewell to Buffalo and solidifies Pittsburghs net.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In response to kelvana33's comment:

1. Tim Thomas is traded to Philadelphia at the trade deadline...No explanation needed really,  Philly going with Mason and Emery with hopes one takes it and runs with it. Philly has had one goalie after another and can never seem to find one that sticks. Say what you want about him, but if anyone can break that vicious cycle, it's him. Which ever one lands Thomas, the other lands Ryan Miller.

2. Ryan Miller traded to Pittsburgh. Fleury's struggles continue and the only option now is a change of scenery in hopes to get his mojo back. Miller meanwhile, bids farewell to Buffalo and solidifies Pittsburghs net.

Kel, I really won't be surprised to see Mason have a bounce back season in Philly. This tandem might finally work for them.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

the islanders over/under line of 87.5 and tavares over under line of 89.5 both cost vegas a lot of money. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

Panthers for the Cup in a rousing game 7 ot win against The Flames!!!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheGuyWithDaThing. Show TheGuyWithDaThing's posts

B's will make the playoffs, winning upwards of 50 games.

Anyone know if Krug is eligible for the Calder? If so, he'll be a finalist.

Smith scores 20 goals.

Leafs (sigh) make it past the first round. If there's anything we've learned as Bruins fans, it's that heartbreak in the playoffs makes you stronger as a team, and I like the additions they've made.

Bruins don't make it deep into the playoffs. Short summer = tough to grind it out all year.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from asmaha. Show asmaha's posts

One prediction for every EC team:

* Boston - Krug is a bust. Teams figure out how to pressure him, and Julien can't handle the liability on the back end. Hamilton gets his minutes back and progresses as well as any realistic fan could expect.

* Buffalo - They don't trade anyone of value. Miller & Vanek stay in Buffalo because no GM is willing to bail them out, and the Sabres get nothing when they walk.

* Carolina - Tlusty isn't a flash in the pan, and cracks the Top 20 in scoring.

* Columbus - Horton rushes back from the shoulder, then plays less than 40 games.

* Detroit - Gets bounced by Ottawa in the playoffs, because the Hockey Gods are like that.

* Florida - Tim Thomas gets the magical # of 16 wins....but all in the regular season. Final stat line: 53 GP; 16W-26L-11OT; 2.77 GAA; .899 SV%

* Montreal - Markov finally healthy all season and is a Norris finalist. Subban far from consideration.

* NJ - The old guys in New Jersey make a difference - the Devils make a surprise run as an 8 seed on the backs of Brodeaur, Jagr, Elias, Ryder, Bryce Salvador, Zubrus, etc.

* NYI - Miss the playoffs.

* NYR - Miss the playoffs.

* Ottawa - wins the division. See above for playoff scenario.

* Philly - Laviolette the first coach to get canned this year. Ends up on another team after less than a month out of hockey; has a Boudreau-esque finish.

* Pittsburgh - doesn't secure a playoff berth until the final weekend - goaltending lets them down all year. They barely make it in as a 7 seed.

* Tampa - Starting goalie by year's end is not on their current roster.

* Toronto - Leafs are out of the playoff picture, and swap Kessel for Thornton. Thornton gets a sweetheart extension with the Leafs for 3 years, while Kessel gets one of those obnoxious max term contracts from the Sharks. This Forum explodes.

* Washington - surprisingly good, and take the division.

Bonus picks for Bruins fans:

* Seguin nets 40. Benn has a monster year and wins the Hart.

* Luongo a Vezina finalist - it's amazing what blocked shots can do for a goalie's stats.

*Boston/LA for the Cup. Thornton announces in advance it'll be his last year, and the Bs rally around him.

Take it to the bank!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bisson1. Show Bisson1's posts

1. The Sharks make it to the SCF.

2. Loui Eriksson nets 40.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from nrguy. Show nrguy's posts

1) Tuukka wins the Vezina

2) Hamilton leads all Bs D-men in scoring

3) Kelly is traded before the deadline for a 3rd line winger and a pick, Spooner gets the call.

-----------------------------------------
    "Lighten up Francis"

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

i really can't see the isles missing the playoffs. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

I like the Ducks youth movement out west.

St. Louis again are the darlings of the west, they just need to stay healthy.

Islanders will make the playoffs and be tough again.

Agree with Kelv, Shero will get impatient quick.

I've been thinking more n more about the Red Wings in the Bruins division. They are going to be tough.

Kings are going to very tough.

Bobrovsky is still a "?" for me in Colombus.

New Jersey falls way off, getting a lottery pick.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

In response to bostonfan191646's comment:

i really can't see the isles missing the playoffs. 

Evgeni Nabokov

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

nabokov had a good year last year. the isles will make the playoffs with ease. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

The Bruins 3rd line of Kelly-Soderberg-Smith combines for 50+ goals.  People stop talking about Spooner replacing Kelly by December because Kelly has 8 goals by Thanskgiving.

Caron plays 50 games.  Thornton plays 45.  Bobby Robins plays 10.

On Feb. 8th, the last Bruins game before the Olympics, the Bruins and Senators play a 1 vs. 2 game that becomes known as the "one week before St. Valentine's Day Massacre".  Teams combine for 200 Pims in an 8-1 Bruins win.  Lucic tomato-can's Neil.  Krejci and Spezza go.  Iginla beats the living tar out of Bobby Ryan.  Krug pairs off with Karlsson and Chara with old pal Chris Phillips.  Tuukka Rask Lehner around the building but his reputation as a psycho precedes him.

April 3rd, the Leafs seem to be securely in the playoffs with less than two weeks in the year.  They hold the fourth spot in the division by four points and are six up on the fourth place club in the other division.  Bruins go to Toronto and dominate them all over the ice the same way they did in the third period of game 5 and the last 10 minutes of game 7.  Leafs manage 9 shots on net, lose 5-0.  Haunted by last year, they lose out and drop out of the playoffs by a point, securing the coveted 14th overall pick.

October 1st.  People stop making ridiculous "predictions".

Are you not entertained?!?!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

In response to Bookboy007's comment:

Evgeni Nabokov

He only turns to sh*t in the playoffs, Book.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

I figure that's because the games matter, so if the Isles are a better team, more games matter, more K-rap goaltending from Geno.

In terms of predictions, how about this (because the scenarios thing is too much after-school special for my taste):

First coach fired

First GM fired

Richard winner

Art Ross winner

Top 3 teams in goals for

Top 3 teams in goals against

Division champs

Cup winner.

Go.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

First coach fired: Noel

First GM fired: Gillis

Richard winner: Iginla (whoa!)

Art Ross winner: Crosby

Top 3 teams in goals for: Pens, Hawks, Leafs

Top 3 teams in goals against: Bruins, STL, LAK

Division champs: Bruins, Pitt, CHI, SJ

Cup Winner: Bruins over LAK

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

I figure that's because the games matter, so if the Isles are a better team, more games matter, more K-rap goaltending from Geno.

In terms of predictions, how about this (because the scenarios thing is too much after-school special for my taste):

First coach fired

First GM fired

Richard winner - Tavares

Art Ross winner 

Top 3 teams in goals for

Division champs

Cup winner.

Go.

First coach fired - Barry Trotz

First GM fired - Darcy Regier

Richard winner - Tavares

Art Ross winner - Stamkos

Top 3 teams in goals for - Washington, Pittsburgh, Chicago

Top 3 teams in goals against (By this I figure you mean fewest goals against) Ottawa, Boston, Chicago

Division champs - Boston, Penguins, Chicago, Sharks

Cup winner - Ottawa (Everyone else here is going to pick Boston so I figured I'd take a darkhorse)

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Klaas. Show Klaas's posts

• Crosby wins MVP
    • Crosby wins Art Ross
    • Iginla nets 30+ goals
    • Bruins PP in top 10 of the NHL

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

In response to Klaas' comment:

• Bruins PP in top 10 of the NHL

I just spat my pumpkin-spiced latte all over my computer screen.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

First coach fired

First GM fired

Richard winner

Art Ross winner

Top 3 teams in goals for

Division champs

Cup winner.

Go.

Jay Feaster

Mike Yeo

Stamkos

Crosby

Penguins, Hawks, Leafs

Bruins, Blues,Kings

Bruins,Pens,Hawks,Kings

Penguins

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

First coach fired - Mike Yeo

First GM fired - Holmgren

Richard winner - StamPkos

Art Ross winner - Parise

Top 3 teams in goals for - Chicago, Pittsburgh & St. Louis

Top 3 teams in goals against - Boston, LA & Phoenix

Division champs - Red Wings, Pens , Hawks & Ducks

Cup winner - Boston