2013 Bruin Playoff Fodder
posted at 8/17/2013 9:24 PM EDT
With the summer grinding on and almost at an end, I have had some time to think about this past playoff, changes that were made and where we're headed this year. Here is what I came up with:
1. From Round 1- game 7 to Round 4- game 4 (14 games) the Bruins never lost in regulation. Losing on 3 games, all in overtime.
2. In 10 of the 14 games, the Bruins allowed 2 goals or less.
3. In 8 of those games, the Bruins allowed only 1 goal or less. (3 shoutouts).
4. They outscored the opposition 43-25, in regulation in those 14 games. From Round 2 to Round 4, game 4, 39-21 in regulation (13 games)
5. The did all of this with 3 right wingers that scored a combined 1 goal in that stretch and all of the playoffs.
Has there been such a hot streak in playoff history such as this? I don't think so. They could have swept the last three rounds. Don't laugh, with a healthy Gregory Campbell it could have happened.
Now, even though we've lost Horton, traded Seguin, and let go Ference, I think we will be even stronger next time around.
The addition of Ericksson, Soderberg and even Jarome Iginla should do just fine.
I know it's too much to ask, but if all of you don't get your shorts tied up in a knot with each game the Bruins lose in the regular season, you might be able to enjoy the ride next playoff when the Bruins steamroll over the opposition to another Stanley Cup. I can sense their intention to make complete amends in 2014.
Even though they ran out of gas and didn't get the Cup, what they did in the playoffs proves once again that when they want to play- and they have most of their players healthy - they will beat any team they play.
I believe it!