2013 Draft Question

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TomOBrien. Show TomOBrien's posts

2013 Draft Question

What happens regarding draft position if this season is toast? Do the B's draft in the same position as this past year? Or is it a league-wide lottery?

I am anxious to hear everyone's thoughts and potential players (although early).

I just don't have faith in either side to consider anything other than themselves, so I am moving on past this season...I am sad to say I am expecting the worst now.

Doc

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

Re: 2013 Draft Question

In response to TomOBrien's comment:
    [QUOTE]

What happens regarding draft position if this season is toast? Do the B's draft in the same position as this past year? Or is it a league-wide lottery?

I am anxious to hear everyone's thoughts and potential players (although early).

I just don't have faith in either side to consider anything other than themselves, so I am moving on past this season...I am sad to say I am expecting the worst now.

Doc

[/QUOTE]

Doc, the last time this happened your third question was the answer resulting in Crosby to the Pens.

All 30 teams got thrown into a weighted lottery. Whether it would be the same system...... ?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

I wonder if they'd do the same thing.  The whole point of a weighted lottery is the pursuit of "parity" - the worse your talent pool, the more likely you are to get a top player in the draft.  But as Chowdah points out, the last time this happened, it meant Pitt received a second franchise player in two years and they parlayed that into two Cup appearances and a Cup win shortly thereafter.  Edmonton wouldn't be a lock for the top pick because they weren't the worst team last year, but if they'd still have a better than average shot at the top pick again.  I'd argue they're already better than a couple of low see playoff teams in terms of overall talent - a Mike Smith-like over-reach in goal and they could easily make the playoffs and do some damage.  So - does it really make sense to weight a lottery?  I guess you need to give Columbus something to hope for, but I'd like to see a system that is a little more equitable for the entire league.

As for the who, how can you guess if you don't know where the pick will be?  Right now, mynhldraft.com has the Bruins picking Frederik Gauthier at 23.  I've never heard of this kid - haven't been to a Q game in a couple of years now - but he sounds like Joe Colborne.  6'5, 210 and a top rookie scorer in the Q, but tagged as not using his size effectively.  I like the size because the Bruins could use more of it in the pipeline, but big and soft can stay home.  Other guys in that range, Kerby Rychel could be interesting.  And if the Lottery goes really well, hey, Monahan is undervalued if you're putting him behind Drouin.  He doesn't play with Nathan Mackinnon.... 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

In response to Bookboy007's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I wonder if they'd do the same thing.  The whole point of a weighted lottery is the pursuit of "parity" - the worse your talent pool, the more likely you are to get a top player in the draft.  But as Chowdah points out, the last time this happened, it meant Pitt received a second franchise player in two years and they parlayed that into two Cup appearances and a Cup win shortly thereafter.  Edmonton wouldn't be a lock for the top pick because they weren't the worst team last year, but if they'd still have a better than average shot at the top pick again.  I'd argue they're already better than a couple of low see playoff teams in terms of overall talent - a Mike Smith-like over-reach in goal and they could easily make the playoffs and do some damage.  So - does it really make sense to weight a lottery?  I guess you need to give Columbus something to hope for, but I'd like to see a system that is a little more equitable for the entire league.

As for the who, how can you guess if you don't know where the pick will be?  Right now, mynhldraft.com has the Bruins picking Frederik Gauthier at 23.  I've never heard of this kid - haven't been to a Q game in a couple of years now - but he sounds like Joe Colborne.  6'5, 210 and a top rookie scorer in the Q, but tagged as not using his size effectively.  I like the size because the Bruins could use more of it in the pipeline, but big and soft can stay home.  Other guys in that range, Kerby Rychel could be interesting.  And if the Lottery goes really well, hey, Monahan is undervalued if you're putting him behind Drouin.  He doesn't play with Nathan Mackinnon.... 

[/QUOTE]

.........and regarding who the B's would have a shot at. The last 2 drafts I would never had thought that Hamilton or Subban would drop to where the the B's were picking.

It all depends on who teams value more then others. And sometimes these players are off the radar. 

That's why independent scouting services lists shouldn't be taken highly. They don't work for the teams and see the value in players differently then those doing the actual picking.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from TomOBrien. Show TomOBrien's posts

During tha last work stoppage, I was out of the loop...military obligations. I only vaguely remember anything about it.

I appreciate the feedback...I know it is early to really have serious discussions about draft-eligible players, but I just saw that Drouin moved up the board a few slots...curious what you all were thinking. I am always looking for the next Neely clone :-)

What we think, the "draft experts" and the scouts think are never alligned. I get killed every year on the draft, although I had a feeling about Subban...just a feeling, no real talent or insight there. LOL

Please add your thoughts...this is far more interesting than talking about the s hit storm negotiations.

Merry Christmas everyone

Doc

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mannyortez3424. Show mannyortez3424's posts

Merry Christmas to you as well...

And Happy Hannukah...

And Chowdah, I don't think PC thought he would get Dougie either.  Do you remember his face?  He was smiling the entire time.  It was awesome.

But a league-wide lottery would be interesting...

It's like gambling on a higher spit, which I'm sure would be attrractive to most good teams...

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

I believe chowda is correct that it was a league wide lottery.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

In response to Chowdahkid-'s comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to Bookboy007's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

.........and regarding who the B's would have a shot at. The last 2 drafts I would never had thought that Hamilton or Subban would drop to where the the B's were picking.

It all depends on who teams value more then others. And sometimes these players are off the radar. 

That's why independent scouting services lists shouldn't be taken highly. They don't work for the teams and see the value in players differently then those doing the actual picking.

[/QUOTE]

The Jets taking Schiefele is a perfect example of this. I don't think anyone saw that coming, but it worked out o.k for the Bruins as Hamilton dropped into their lap.Couturier also became available to the Flyers because of the Jets pick, you just never know what will happen.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

If they did it by the same system as last time, the lottery ball counts would be:

Three
    Columbus, Winnipeg, Toronto, Islanders,Hurricanes, Calgary, Dallas,Minnesota,

Two
    Florida, Tampa Bay, Blues, Colorado, Anaheim,

One
    Edmonton, Boston, Vancouver, Pittsburgh, Philly, Devils, Capitals, Ottawa, Columbus (from the Rangers), Montreal, Buffalo, San Jose, Phoenix, Columbus (from LA), Nashville, Detroit, Chicago.

That's based on the way they did it last time - each team starts with three chances, with a chance removed for each playoff appearance in the last three seasons or first overall pick. Each team is given a minimum of one chance. Also remember that last time was a snake draft, so whil Pitts got 1st overall they didn't pick again until 60th. In this system the team that would get hosed is the Canadiens, so I'm fine with it. ;)

Also there could be only 29 first round picks - NJ has to forfeit a pick either this year or next, their choice.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

In response to red75's comment:

If they did it by the same system as last time, the lottery ball counts would be:

Three
    Columbus, Winnipeg, Toronto, Islanders,Hurricanes, Calgary, Dallas,Minnesota,

Two
    Florida, Tampa Bay, Blues, Colorado, Anaheim,

One
    Edmonton, Boston, Vancouver, Pittsburgh, Philly, Devils, Capitals, Ottawa, Columbus (from the Rangers), Montreal, Buffalo, San Jose, Phoenix, Columbus (from LA), Nashville, Detroit, Chicago.

That's based on the way they did it last time - each team starts with three chances, with a chance removed for each playoff appearance in the last three seasons or first overall pick. Each team is given a minimum of one chance. Also remember that last time was a snake draft, so whil Pitts got 1st overall they didn't pick again until 60th.

Also there could be only 29 first round picks - NJ has to forfeit a pick either this year or next, their choice.

Red is that the ruling for circum(sizing) the Cap in the bold lettering.  I am an idiiot on detail.  Ha.  BTW most who buy lottery tickets say it is 250 million to one, I only wonder what the dudes say to that when they do win....like in the state of Missouri! Hehe.  

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Yeah,  that's because of the Kovalchuk thing.

And I edited my post above, to mention the Habs - in the weighted system they could get hooked. Buffalo, and Edmonton would be the only other non-playoff teams with only one shot. In fact the second and third worst teams last year would both only get one, Anaheim at 6th worst would get two. The teams with three finished in last, 27th, 26th, 24th, 23rd, 22nd, 18th and 17th

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

I swear I am no conspiracy theorist (my posts show that time and time again), but I found it to be absolutely amazing that the team most in need of a savior got the pick of the decade.

If they do it again and that top pick goes to Phoenix, Florida or Columbus, I will be even more amazed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Well Columbus wouldn't shock me as they'd have a better than 10 per cent shot (five balls out of a total of 49, and three first rounders total), but if it's Phoenix I may just join the tinfoil hat club.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I swear I am no conspiracy theorist (my posts show that time and time again), but I found it to be absolutely amazing that the team most in need of a savior got the pick of the decade.

If they do it again and that top pick goes to Phoenix, Florida or Columbus, I will be even more amazed.

[/QUOTE]

Wasn't it a 6% chance of getting him too? (thats if your refering to Crosby)..I'm not one for conspiracy theories either, but I'll buy into that one..The state of the franchise at the time, trying to get a new rink and I bet Mario threw in that he would come back...All win wins for the NHL.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from TomOBrien. Show TomOBrien's posts

In response to red75's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Well Columbus wouldn't shock me as they'd have a better than 10 per cent shot (five balls out of a total of 49, and three first rounders total), but if it's Phoenix I may just join the tinfoil hat club.

[/QUOTE]

I was going to act like and 12 year old and comment about the amount of balls...oh forget it LOL

I did notice the same thing. :-)

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

The list for the top prospect game Jan. 16/13 comes out. Draft eligible players for next June's draft will play.

http://www.ontariohockeyleague.com/article/2013-home-hardware-chl-nhl-top-prospects-game-rosters/133851

--------------------

Team Orr:

Head Coach – Mike McPhee

Goaltenders:
    Eric Comrie (Tri-City Americans)
    Spencer Martin (Mississauga Steelheads)

Defencemen:
    Chris Bigras (Owen Sound Attack)
    Madison Bowey (Kelowna Rockets)
    Seth Jones “C” (Portland Winterhawks)
    Jan Kostalek (Rimouski Oceanic)
    Shea Theodore (Seattle Thunderbirds)
    Nikita Zadorov (London Knights)

Forwards:
    Justin Bailey (Kitchener Rangers)
    Oliver Bjorkstrand (Portland Winterhawks)
    Max Domi (London Knights)
    Anthony Duclair (Quebec Remparts)
    Adam Erne (Quebec Remparts)
    Bo Horvat (London Knights)
    Curtis Lazar (Edmonton Oil Kings)
    Sean Monahan “A” (Ottawa 67’s)
    Nicolas Petan (Portland Winterhawks)
    Kerby Rychel (Windsor Spitfires)
    Hunter Shinkaruk “A” (Medicine Hat Tigers)
    Nick Sorensen (Quebec Remparts)

Team Cherry:

Head Coach – Don Cherry

Goaltenders:
    Zachary Fucale (Halifax Mooseheads)
    Tristan Jarry (Edmonton Oil Kings)

Defencemen:
    Samuel Morin (Rimouski Oceanic)
    Josh Morrissey (Prince Albert Raiders)
    Mirco Mueller (Everett Silvertips)
    Darnell Nurse “A” (Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds)
    Ryan Pulock (Brandon Wheat Kings)
    Eric Roy (Brandon Wheat Kings)

Forwards:
    William Carrier (Cape Breton Screaming Eagles)
    Jason Dickinson (Guelph Storm)
    Jonathan Drouin “A” (Halifax Mooseheads)
    Frederik Gauthier (Rimouski Oceanic)
    Stephen Harper (Erie Otters)
    Ryan Hartman (Plymouth Whalers)
    Morgan Klimchuk (Regina Pats)
    Ryan Kujawinski (Kingston Frontenacs)
    Nathan MacKinnon “C” (Halifax Mooseheads)
    Anthony Mantha (Val-d’Or Foreurs)
    Zach Nastasiuk (Owen Sound Attack)
    Valentin Zykov (Baie-Comeau Drakkar)