$66mil doesn't get you what it used to

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Re: $66mil doesn't get you what it used to

Dez, the lockout didn't take place because of $8M contracts.  The salary cap is in place to keep this under control.  Regardless of how much the Ducks pay Getzlaf, the percentage of hockey related revenue is down to where ownership wanted it to be.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

The other way of looking at it, dez, is that 50% still means massive amounts of cash for the players and more stable business for the owners, so why did the players dig their heels in for so long?  I haven't seen any hint of a drop in attendance, NHL Centre Ice subs, product purchases, etc etc etc. as a result of the lockout, so dollars to donuts the revenue pie will continue to grow, but now with a split in revenue and some other measures that stabilize businesses.  And yes, for the stable businesses, put buckets of cash in their pockets.  If revenue projections are strong, the Getzlaf signing doesn't mean the owners lied.  It means they needed a correction, but that they aren't unwilling to give the players big deals.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

And what if Anaheim cried poor and didn't sign Getzlaf, despite the availability of room under the cap?  Ducks fans would be correct to be furious.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

The owners pointed to huge long term deals as being a big issue multiple times during the lockout but the only break the owners took in signing players to these deals was while the actual lockout took place. They offered them right up to and immediately after. The players dug their heels in for so long because ownership was trying to take so much more back right from the start. I'm not going to bother researching and posting instances of lies from the owners because it happened so often that anyone can google it on their own. BTW, it's also speculated that the Ducks will be receiving cash back from the league as part of revenue sharing introduced in the new CBA to help out the league's "poorer" teams.  I never want to hear someone suggest the players are greedy ever again. Seriously, what percentage of players actually hold out for more money?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from perrysound. Show perrysound's posts

Dez, wasn't sure anyone would pick up on the "aboot". Got my roots to think aboot. 

I think I've gotten de-sensitized to the whole contract thing. Other than a few, no one is worth 1/2 of what Crosby makes, and yet there are many in the same pay range. You all know who the players that are, getting $7, $8 million and are very good, but not SuperStars. 

The Ducks had to give Getzlaf the $. They had no choice. Pay or he leaves is my guess. Probably the same with Perry.

Anyway, I'd love to see Perry in Boston, whatever the cost. 

Off to play poker. Hopefully all the cards be Aces today. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from perrysound. Show perrysound's posts

Is there still a Max % of team payroll you can give one guy in this new CBA?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In response to perrysound's comment:

Dez, wasn't sure anyone would pick up on the "aboot". Got my roots to think aboot. 

I think I've gotten de-sensitized to the whole contract thing. Other than a few, no one is worth 1/2 of what Crosby makes, and yet there are many in the same pay range. You all know who the players that are, getting $7, $8 million and are very good, but not SuperStars. 

The Ducks had to give Getzlaf the $. They had no choice. Pay or he leaves is my guess. Probably the same with Perry.

Anyway, I'd love to see Perry in Boston, whatever the cost. 

Off to play poker. Hopefully all the cards be Aces today. 

I agree that all of the players make too much but where will it end? People called Sinden and the Bruins cheap for so many years but what he was also is a good businessman. Harry knew that in order to make money you had to spend less than you took in. It seemed like simple math but he was often faced with the hard unpopular decisions like walking away from Kristich for example. Boston has proven for many years that it's possible to ice a competitive team and still make money every year. To me, the lockout was a huge waste but at least the players got a proper pension. Good luck at poker!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to dezaruchi's comment:

The owners pointed to huge long term deals as being a big issue multiple times during the lockout but the only break the owners took in signing players to these deals was while the actual lockout took place. They offered them right up to and immediately after. The players dug their heels in for so long because ownership was trying to take so much more back right from the start. I'm not going to bother researching and posting instances of lies from the owners because it happened so often that anyone can google it on their own. BTW, it's also speculated that the Ducks will be receiving cash back from the league as part of revenue sharing introduced in the new CBA to help out the league's "poorer" teams.  I never want to hear someone suggest the players are greedy ever again. Seriously, what percentage of players actually hold out for more money?

They agreed to limit some parts of contracts.  This contract doesn't violate that.  The lockout wasn't about eight year contracts.  It was about the dreaded HRR.  Limiting the Kovalchuk and DiPietro lenght deals was a secondary target that they sort of hit.

Both sides agreed on the new CBA.  This contract falls in line with the new rules.  I don't see where the problem is.

As for players being greedy, well, who knows what Getzlaf's camp told Anaheim?  I know I don't.  It's possible that Anaheim said, "Hey, we'll give you eight years, eight mil per if you sign today" and Getzlaf signed.  It's also possible that Getzlaf's camp said, "We're not interested in long negotiations.  Obviously, this player is special and will command a King's ransom on the market.  Offer eight years, eight mil per and we're in.  Offer less, and he'll be fill your net for years to come."  It's probably somewhere in between both extremes.

We don't know, so let's not speculate.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

In response to dezaruchi's comment:

They agreed to limit some parts of contracts.  This contract doesn't violate that.  The lockout wasn't about eight year contracts.  It was about the dreaded HRR.  Limiting the Kovalchuk and DiPietro lenght deals was a secondary target that they sort of hit.

Both sides agreed on the new CBA.  This contract falls in line with the new rules.  I don't see where the problem is.

As for players being greedy, well, who knows what Getzlaf's camp told Anaheim?  I know I don't.  It's possible that Anaheim said, "Hey, we'll give you eight years, eight mil per if you sign today" and Getzlaf signed.  It's also possible that Getzlaf's camp said, "We're not interested in long negotiations.  Obviously, this player is special and will command a King's ransom on the market.  Offer eight years, eight mil per and we're in.  Offer less, and he'll be fill your net for years to come."  It's probably somewhere in between both extremes.

We don't know, so let's not speculate.

I'm not implying the contract is at all shady and I'm not speculating on anything when I say Getzlaf didn't hold out. Both sides were aware of how free agency works. It also wouldn't have been at all greedy if Getzlaf choose to let his deal expire to hit the open market. We know for sure that the Ducks weren't willing to see that happen so they opened the vault even though they apparently are losing money. It's really a good business I guess. I'll choose a different word then and say that it was Damien Cox and Neil Smith on Sportsnet who said the Ducks were in line to collect cash back from the league because they're struggling. I'm not interested in debating further. I'm just still disappointed to have missed the half season without being able to see any real difference in the way owners do their business.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

The lockout wasn't about this type of contract.  It was about how the money is split.  The aformentioned HRR.  And it's being split differently now.  So the lockout was purposeful.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

The lockout wasn't about this type of contract.  It was about how the money is split.  The aformentioned HRR.  And it's being split differently now.  So the lockout was purposeful.

It was about all types of contracts. That's what the player's split amounts to. We can't know what the lockout solved until we see the open books of the franchises. Saying "the lockout was purposeful" 2 months later is premature speculation. Are the "poor" franchises no longer struggling to stay afloat? We were led to believe the NHL couldn't survive as it was being run. Now I'm surprised that rich guys aren't lining up to buy franchises. It's one of the world's few businesses where you can make money regardless of location or ticket sales. All for one and one for all in the NHL Ownership Club-now featuring a hint of communism. I'm happy to agree to disagree on this.  It's not worth arguing anymore. Lockout's over. Go Bruins!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

A much better use of that kind of money than The Pylon Known as Bryzgalov.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

In response to SoxFanInIL's comment:

A much better use of that kind of money than The Pylon Known as Bryzgalov.

I see your buddy Holtby got pulled again, no Hunter defensive systems this time around.;D