7th Player Award?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Devanjan. Show Devanjan's posts

7th Player Award?

This has to be the toughest year to make a decision as there are so many players deserving.

Marchand  - leading plus minus record of any rookie in the league; plays on the penalty kill, scores; second in short handed goals; a 4th liner energy guy promoted to regular 2nd and 3rd line duty.

Campbell  - only 2 goals last year to 12 goals this year; gives the B's a viable contributing 4th line that would be a 3rd line on many other teams; excellent on face offs and rarely gets tossed; does the dirty work and helps to protect team mates; excellent forechecker and especially  in the crucial minute following a goal for or against.

MacQuaid - great shot blocker; excellent at the rough stuff when needed; rarely out of position; a regular in his rookie season and has risen from the 7th "D" man to a # 5 or possibly a # 4.

Heck you can even make a case for Lucic (above and beyond in the goal scoring scenario) Krejci (a number 3 center rising to be the number 1 guy)  Thomas (all but washed up and # 2 behind Rask at the beginning of the year) and Boychuk (who may not be scoring as much as he can - but does do the timely hit or block shots and protects his goalie and team mates.

Let's get a debate going

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from hangnail. Show hangnail's posts

Re: 7th Player Award?

I think you have to go with Marchand.  He was arguably their best player for a pretty good stretch, who would have predicted that?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from MrVmax. Show MrVmax's posts

I'm voting Cambell, no knock against Marchand I just think that Cambell has played well above my expectations. Good luck to both of them.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from thedauber1. Show thedauber1's posts

easiest year ever...marchand

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Lucic, Campbell or...gasp...Thomas.  Marchand has been in the tank for 1/4 of the season and McQuaid's few great games have been overshadowed by his inability to pass the puck well and his crashing down to early lately.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

I still think Marchand although his play has been nosediving as of late. I would not complain if Campbell or McQauid won.....

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from goodnewsbears. Show goodnewsbears's posts

marchand

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49thparallel. Show 49thparallel's posts

Campbell. Hurts the team less by taking fewer stupid penalties... Great on the  draw...

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

Marchand.

Nobody expected 19 goals, 36 points and a +25.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from goodnewsbears. Show goodnewsbears's posts

In Response to Re: 7th Player Award?:
    [QUOTE]Marchand. Nobody expected 19 goals, 36 points and a +25.
    Posted by Crowls2424[/QUOTE]

yeah i agree, he wasn't even on the opening day roster.  i think it's fair to say nobody expected it.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from OlsonicCreations. Show OlsonicCreations's posts

Campbell or Marchand

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

What?

Marchand in a landslide. Campbell is a nice runner up choice, but it's been Marchand since January.

He's clearly surprised as a full season rookie.

McQuaid?  Nice job with the +/- andf fighting, etc, but I don't see how either's resumes this year surpass Marchand's emergence.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBfan67. Show BBfan67's posts

Could be a tie between Marchand & Campbell

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]What? Marchand in a landslide. Campbell is a nice runner up choice, but it's been Marchand since January. He's clearly surprised as a full season rookie. McQuaid?  Nice job with the +/- andf fighting, etc, but I don't see how either's resumes this year surpass Marchand's emergence.
    Posted by BBReigns[/QUOTE]

Marchand had nice stats in January and February.  He didn't do jack in October and hasn't done jack in March.  November and December were okay (25 games, 12 points).

No landslide there, especially if he continues on the schnide.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from lereve77. Show lereve77's posts

#18 Brent Hughes

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from LoyalBlackNGold. Show LoyalBlackNGold's posts

i think its a 3 horse race mcquaid, marchand and campbell. mcquaid has been even better than last year but this is what i hoped for. marchand has been a great surprise but it feels like a soon as people started talking about how much brad has overachieved. that was when he started to tail off. which leaves gregory campbell who i believe has been better than advertised. when the trade was made the consensus was that campbell was a throw in. he has been anything but, campbell falls in with the players that can help in every situation like axeleson,yelle and begin. campbell has been the most consistent that is why i think he will win the 7th player award.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

I like Campbell, but don't think he is exceeding expectations to the extent Marchand is.

Campbell posted 13-19-32 for the Panthers in 2008-09, he is currently 12-13-25 with 8 to play.  He likely will not eclipse his career best in any category.

Marchand, on the other hand, had 1 assist in 20 games last year.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Can anyone tell me why McQuaid is even mentioned here?  He's done nothing more than get in a few fights and be a distant #6 quality defenseman.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

I'll take a crack at that NAS:

- Leads all rookies in +/- @ +29 (tied for 2nd in the NHL)
    - Decent production: 60gp 3-11-14
    - Leads B's D-men in +/- and PIMs
    - 2nd among B's D-men in Blocked Shots
    - 3rd among B's D-men in Points

He is worthy of being in the conversation.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from LoyalBlackNGold. Show LoyalBlackNGold's posts

[QUOTE]Can anyone tell me why McQuaid is even mentioned here?  He's done nothing more than get in a few fights and be a distant #6 quality defenseman.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot[/QUOTE

nas i put him in because he was in the lead or near the top for plus / minus in the league. which i know is not greatest measure of a player plus i think for a young top 6 defenseman he gives the bruins alot of toughness and is responsible in his own end. i just think he has exceeded my expectation of what i thought of him as a player is all.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

+/- couldn't matter less.  Kessel was +something high.

Three goals and 11 assists is not decent.

+/-, again, doesn't matter and leading the defense in PIM is no accolade.

The other two are slightly skewed due to the revolving door of Ference, Stuart, Hunwick, and Kampfer all playing parts of the season.  I suppose that lends some credibility to McQuaid as a valuable defenseman, but let's not pretend that he's played great, or even well.  He's a slow moving, poor shooting, poor passing, sometimes hard hitting, tough defenseman.  I doubt he'll ever be about the third pairing on any team.

That doesn't get an award from me.

I expect it to go to Marchand because he was bananas for two months and was the talk of the town.  I would prefer it to go to Campbell.  Campbell's points aren't up, but I had no idea he was this reliable and versitaile.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 7th Player Award? : [QUOTE]Can anyone tell me why McQuaid is even mentioned here?  He's done nothing more than get in a few fights and be a distant #6 quality defenseman. Posted by Not-A-Shot[/QUOTE nas i put him in because he was in the lead or near the top for plus / minus in the league. which i know is not greatest measure of a player plus i think for for a young top 6 defenseman he gives the bruins alot of toughness and is responsible in his own end. i just think he has exceeded my expectation of what i thought of him as a player is all.
    Posted by LoyalBlackNGold[/QUOTE]

Top 6 defenseman?  The only other guy is in the press box!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from LoyalBlackNGold. Show LoyalBlackNGold's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 7th Player Award? : Top 6 defenseman?  The only other guy is in the press box!
    Posted by Not-A-Shot[/QUOTE]

but when it comes to sitting a defenseman its never mcquaids name that comes up. he is a player that doesnt hurt u and gets payed pocket change for the amount of minutes and shifts the guy takes without making alot of mistakes is all i am saying believe i know the kids not a norris trophy candidate. i just think its the sprit of the award.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

[QUOTE]+/- couldn't matter less.  Kessel was +something high. Three goals and 11 assists is not decent. +/-, again, doesn't matter and leading the defense in PIM is no accolade. The other two are slightly skewed due to the revolving door of Ference, Stuart, Hunwick, and Kampfer all playing parts of the season.  I suppose that lends some credibility to McQuaid as a valuable defenseman, but let's not pretend that he's played great, or even well.  He's a slow moving, poor shooting, poor passing, sometimes hard hitting, tough defenseman.  I doubt he'll ever be about the third pairing on any team. That doesn't get an award from me. I expect it to go to Marchand because he was bananas for two months and was the talk of the town.  I would prefer it to go to Campbell.  Campbell's points aren't up, but I had no idea he was this reliable and versitaile.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot[/QUOTE]

You asked- I answered.  We'll have to agree to disagree on McQuaid, as well as, Marchand and Rask.

I will agree on Campbell, as I think he has been one of the best Bruins over the past month, regardless of production. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Swerengen. Show Swerengen's posts

McQuaid

Because my expectations were VERY low after last year when he spent most of his time scaring the living CRAP out of me

This year he's been rock solid