Most of the talk on here regarding the B’s draftees has been centered around Subban and drafting goalies in general, so I thought I’d start a thread on Matt Grzelcyk. I initially hated the pick but after a closer look I feel a bit better about it. Here’s what Wayne Smith, the B’s director of amateur scouting, had to say:

"Well he’s the type of kid that plays much bigger than he is. He’s got a Bruin mentality. He plays to win; he plays hard; he’s hard to play against; he plays a virtually mistake-free game. His decision-making and his ability to move the puck is second-to-none in this draft”.

A bold statement and pretty high praise right there.

This is from reelhockeyscouting.com:

Not your prototypical sized defenseman. Makes up for his lack of size with great hockey sense and vision. Strong skater with some exploding first steps and smooth mobility. Pounces on the puck, keeps his head-up and moves the puck extremely well. Plays a solid defensive game.

Matt spent the past 2 years with the USNTDP and played for the U17 team in the WJC in 2011 (silver medal) and the U18 team in the 2012 WJC (gold medal). We all know he’s headed to BU, but he had the opportunity to play in the QMJHL as he was drafted by the Remparts in 2011.

It looks to me like if this guy was 2 inches taller and even just 10lbs heavier he would have been rated higher. I don’t think he’s going to be 6-2 and 210lbs but he should grow a bit more and will definitely add some bulk in the next few years. If he ends up at 5-11 and 195lbs that would work in the NHL. Probably projects as a 3rd pairing D.

Obviously he is several years away from contending for a spot on the Bruins blue line, if ever, but maybe this wasn’t such a bad gamble in the 3rd round. I’m looking forward to watching him skate for BU this coming season.  If nothing else I will learn how to pronounce his last name properly.